Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

I, too, was liking my hair prior to Dx. However, it was thinning already and it is thinner. Oh well.

HUGS!

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Immediately after finishing tx I asked my dermatologist about rogaine. She said it would help, but I’d have to use it forever. If I stopped it would fall out.

Strike one.

So I bought some anyway read the instructions. Keep away from pets. Well, I sweat a lot and I was afraid Spookie would lick the sweat and get sick or kill her.

Strike two. I took it back. I love her more than my hair. I’m weird like that.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Spookie, I tried some stuff I got off Amazon and it made my hair feel sticky. I couldn't stand it. I'll just manage with what I have - however much that is. I'm with you!

HUGS!

• Taco1946
    Taco1946 Member Posts: 630

Mine is definitely thinning. I liked my totally bald head better than what I have now - 15 months post chemo.

I use biotin, nioxin shampoo and conditioner and want to scream every time I shampoo. I don't see it falling out like on taxol, just seeing more scalp.

• castigame
    castigame Member Posts: 336

I guess i am truly blessed. I take Arimidex and 10 mg Celexa in the morning. Levothroxine 100mg, Claritin and .5 mg Ativan in the evening. no supplements of any type. yeah my joints creak here and there but my weight has a lot to do with it. Arrrgh I lost almost 30 pounds despite eating during chemo gained back all 30 pounds and a few more. Stress is not helping w weight control at all. and my super duper chemo curl which camouflages thinning hair quite well.. cross my heart and pray those curls stay but I know they won't.

• TrailDweller
    TrailDweller Member Posts: 29

So are the side effects from the pill itself or the response of the body to the lack of estrogen?

• miranda2060
    miranda2060 Member Posts: 207

TrailDweller, I think they're from the lack of estrogen.

Here are some studies about it:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC48648...

http://ascopubs.org/doi/abs/10.1200/JCO.2017.35.15_suppl.e21619

• diveslikeagirl
    diveslikeagirl Member Posts: 69

New to this thread. Over on the "how are others doing on 10 years of Arimedex" thread, we've been discussing the studies showing that bisphosphonates combined with AIs show results that the bone -strengthening drug significantly reduces/prevents recurrence as bone mets. Below are two of the studies. Apologies if someone has already posted these.

https://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/20140128

This was the study that inspired me to ask my PA and it was presented back in 2013. And this later study showed that all bisphosphonates reduced risk the same.

https://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/all-bisphosphonates-reduce-risk-the-same

And somewhere on the main site is a short video from breastcancer.org recommending that early-stage, post-menopausal women on AIs ask their doctors about going on a bone-strengthener to reduce the chance of future bone mets by as much as 18% (I don't know how to search for videos; just stumbled on it).

My baseline bone scan recently came back showing osteopenia and my PA agreed to prescribe generic alendronate (Fosamax). I am willing to withstand side effects for those increased odds.

Mindy

• bennybear
    bennybear Member Posts: 245

Thank you diveslikeagirl!

• MamaOz
    MamaOz Member Posts: 239

yes I think its the lack of estrogen

And thanks diveslikeagirl

I really need to suck it up and take the boniva

Anyone taking prolia shots

• 7of9
    7of9 Member Posts: 474

Just did my 5 Zometa infusion today - 2.5 yrs on Arimidex. Chemo curls are almost gone but if I let my hair dry on it's own it's still wavy. Noticed hair was thinner but now I think blow drying (almost never) letting it air dry, using less product except a little gel or spray on it - now it seems a little thicker (keeping it just above my shoulders so I've given myself a good 1/2 dozen trims since Taxotere completed over 2 yrs ago (cold capped and lost 80% but got most back).

• miranda2060

7of9, I'm also in the Cleveland area. Had my Zometa infusion last week.

I'm still not used to seeing so much scalp. I wish this didn't upset me as much as it does. MO gave me a "drug holiday" till after my revision surgery at the end of September. Then I will have to decide whether to try Femara instead of anastrazole, or go back on the anastrazole.

• Djt
    Djt Member Posts: 176

Diveslikeagirl....Thank you for this additional info, but im confused. Is this saying that the adding of bisphosphonates actually helps prevent a reoccurance or possible Mets, when used with AL therapy, ? I was under the impression that bisphosphonates themselves have their own set of side effects that are best AVOIDED, and unless there is bone loss, osteoporosis, the ALs alone are used, and they reduce the chance of reocurrance.

• iamnancy
    iamnancy Member Posts: 641

I also have thinning hair ... ugh...my MO said oh its not from anastrozole... I think she is wrong but there isn't anything i can do since its a preventative to cancer returning and I don't want to take any chances..

• humblepeace
    humblepeace Member Posts: 85

Hi Everyone,

I was on Tamoxifen for 6 most with a number of different side effects, bone/joint pain, aching lower back for 3 months every day. Sadness, blurred vision and double vision, and just ached all over. After a back x-Ray, and whole body bone scan and finally a CT scan it was determined that I had arthritis in the back. All the other sides effect seem to calm down or even went away. However, I still get a dizzy spell around 1x amount which starts with a popping in my ear then ringing and a 4-5 seconds of dizziness.

I am no longer on Tamoxifen as June 7, 2018 I had a total hysterectomy and started Arimidex. I have been on Arimidex for two months and still experiencing the once monthly dizziness. I spoke to the oncologist about this but he was like okay, but ordered no tests. How long for this to wear off. Is it more related to a lack of hormones and does anyone still have intermittent dizziness after taking tamoxifen or arimidex for over 8 months? Thanks everyone for any insight.

Humblepeace

• miranda2060

IamNancy, some MOs seem to be less familiar with the hair thinning SE. There are studies about it, and it's not unheard of, but sometimes we ladies do more research than they do. My MO said something about giving me a referral to a dermatologist, which could be helpful.

• TrailDweller

Humblepeace- I had dizzyness last week, I had just finished 5 in a row rads and thought it was from the radiation exhaustion. That's the first time I've had it, didn't relate it to the arimidex but I suppose it could have been from that as well. I will have to keep track of how often I get it.

• humblepeace
    humblepeace Member Posts: 85

@TrailDweller - Thanks so much for responding. Yes, please let me know how you are fairing. How long have you been on Arimidex

• TrailDweller

Humblepeace - I have been on Arimidex less than 2 months. I am almost 1/2 way through 33 rad treatments, I avoided chemo with a low oncotype score of 15. I am beyond exhausted and on Friday I was overtired after taking my daughter school supply shopping. I got a dizzy feeling and was afraid it was going to make me nauseous but It didn't. I went home, got a cold drink and set down thinking that I might have just been overheated. I hope it doesn't come back.

• Phoenixwmn
    Phoenixwmn Member Posts: 13

Anastrozole IS an oral chemotherapeutic agent. It is also a hormonal inhibitor anti-cancer drug (Aromatase Inhibitor) but ANY chemical given to arrest or impede cancer is by definition chemotherapy. Here's a couple references for you----check the titles highlighted in yellow at the top of the page of the second one--"Types of Chemotherapy Drugs".

https://member.carefirst.com/carefirst-resources/p...

http://chemoth.com/types/aromatase

Cancer.org also has a page devoted to Oral Chemo and Anastrozole is on it, I just can't get the durned page to load so I can give you the link. You can go there & explore topics yourself, though.

When I got my first scrip of Anastrozole a monograph/flyer came with it with a bold-faced caps title of "Oral Chemotherapy". This really surprised me so I called my Pharmacist, who is a Doctorate in Pharmacology and he explained yes, it is chemo...just oral instead of IV. It is a different category of chemo than say Cisplatin, Methotrexate or IV chemotherapy we're familiar with, but it is chemotherapy nonetheless. I realize this flies in the face of what so many breast cancer patients ( and some Drs!) believe but it's true. The American Cancer Society defines "oral chemotherapy as any drug that is taken by mouth to treat cancer. "

There are many misconceptions out there about this drug and what it is/isn't. I have to admit I misunderstood that myself at first and I'm a Critical Care RN with 31 years of practice in ICU/ER/PACU.

Hoping this helps clear misconceptions for those who're on it.

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,292

Phoenixwmn - I did not know that, and immediately started looking it up. I found where it stated "many other types of chemo treatments exist, such as targeted therapy, immunotherapy, and hormonal therapy."

• iamnancy
    iamnancy Member Posts: 641

miranda2060 - I was thinking about going to a dermatologist ... but if its from the anastrozole will they be able to do anything? I guess it wouldn't be bad to at least check

• miranda2060

IamNancy, I know that someone on a thread on this site about hair concerns with hormonal therapy said they have had some success with treatments prescribed by her dermatologist. This is the link to that topic; that member's posting is on the last (most recent) page.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/78/topics/859567?page=5#idx_150

• DMB1949
    DMB1949 Member Posts: 3

Hi Blessed,I am also on Arimidex. Have been for about a month now. Yes,increased joint pain,but I'm taking ibuprofen daily,which helps. Working out will help! Try Replens for the vaginal drynessit's helpful. All the best,Diane

• life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364

Hey Ladies!

I am dealing with super super dry skin since chemo and now the anastrozole. My skin is so dry that when I get hot it feels like pins and needles. Looking for some suggestions on what I can do about this horrible dry skin. Already saw in a post earlier where I can use replens for other dry areas. Thank you DMB1949!

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902

Life1963–. I have had really good luck with First Aid Beauty’s Ultra Repair Cream. My skin stays moist and hydrated for 24 hours after using it.

I had flakes in some places because my skin was so dry but no more.

Best of luck

• life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364

Dodgersgirl

Thank you for the suggestion. I bought some of that cream and it is awesome! I have tried it twice now and when I get super hot and sweaty it doesn't seem to burn as bad as it was before. Love it! I also bought a roller lotion applicator so that I could get it in my middle of my back as well.

• dodgersgirl

Life1963–. So glad it’s working for you!! I carry the small hand lotion in my purse

• Djt
    Djt Member Posts: 176

Hi Dodgergirl, i must have missed the post regarding this cream, can you repost? Thank you!

• dodgersgirl

Djt— First Aid Beauty's Ultra Repair Cream. My skin stays moist and hydrated for 24 hours after using it. I love it!!