Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Pinktober Revolution

Options

Comments

• julz4
    julz4 Member Posts: 1,373
    Options

Love IT! 

• Vicks1960
    Vicks1960 Member Posts: 393
    Options

Lisa,

Love your design!!!!!!

Vickie

• loriio
    loriio Member Posts: 55
    Options

I just heard that Nancy Brinker is stepping down from Komen. Several other key leaders including Liz Thompson are also stepping down.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 26
    Options

Thanks ladies for all the positive comments.

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    Options

Brinker stepping down!? Wow!

• voraciousreader
    Options

She's going to have a new role... Global development! Oy!

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    Options

VR, I'm  ignorant of what the repercussions are? Your OY tells me it is not good. What's the scoop?

• voraciousreader
    Options

SAS...on one hand Brinker recognizes the need for new leadership and yet, she's not willing to leave gracefully. Instead, she's creating a new position for herself. I don't understand people like her who feel this great need to retain their power and celebrity, despite doing damage to their brand. I keep thinking of Joe Paterno. Like Brinker, his identity and Penn State were wrapped up in one another and they ended up strangling themselves. If Brinker truly wants to leave a positive legacy, she should welcome new leadership and then move on with her life. That we be a gift to all.

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    Options
    No wonder the Komen thread has been active.There was a post taken off by the mods.yesterday.gonna go see whats happening today...Goodby see ya Brinker and the likes of you.Komen you are goin down!!!!
  • wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,877
    Options

I would want to see Komen's financial statement before giving any funds. What percent goes to research? What do all those top people get paid? There are places to give that put most of the money to research.

• voraciousreader
    Options

Brinker's salary was $417,000.

• voraciousreader
    Options

Planned Parenthood's Cecile Richards makes $420,153...

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,877
    Options

OMG!!! That would pay for a lot of research.

• FireKracker
    Options
    Why am I speachless??????
  • sas-schatzi
    Options

VR and Wren thanks for the info-----how they can sleep at night with their salaries and all the bad stuff happening to so many. sassy

• loriio
    loriio Member Posts: 55
    Options

The fact that Nancy Brinker even took a salary irks me. Her husband is a multi-millionaire. If I lost my sister to cancer, I would want every dime to go to prevention and cure research.

• voraciousreader
    Options

Sisters... Don't be sick or speechless. I will also mention she travels 1st class.... I guess when she takes Komen global.... She'll be able to write off all of her trips around the world...

The lesson we need to learn is that knowledge is power. Did anyone read a few days ago about the esteemed British Medical Journal article that took issue with the Komen screening ads? H. Gilbert Welch, Ph. D's colleagues at Dartmouth wrote in the journal that the screening ads are very misleading and prey on fear.

We need to educate ourselves.... AND ADVOCATE FOR OURSELVES because somewhere along the way the folks who should be advocating for our best interests lost THEIR DIRECTION.

• hrf
    hrf Member Posts: 706
    Options

There has been a lot of press this week about Komen. Many medical folks have taken issue with the Komen screening ads saying that the focus on having mammograms is misleading as Komen has been saying that the mammograms are the key to survival. All of us on BC.org know that is not true. If most of the money raised is going towards mammograms instead of research towards a cure, that explains why so many women are still dying.

• FireKracker
    Options

My friend is my mammo tech.I saw her on Sat.and she asked me if i was goin to the komen gala event....i got an invitation but had no desire to be on display for that shitty org....survivors free....I started screamin I hate komen..you know what...she has no clue...she said they help us a lot at our hospital givin free mammos....again i went nuts.....WHERE IS THE REST OF THE MONEY GOIN???

later she went over to my friend and said to her WHAT HAPPENED TO HER?????

We need to make a statement and do it fast too.fucktober is almost here.

whats it gonna be and when are we gonna get started????

Im leavin soon to go away for the weekend.I dont know how much of the puter ill have but i will be back monday nite....Ill help in any way i could.

huggggs to all my sistas...you know how to get in touch with me...and you know who you are.xoxoxoK

• lee7
    lee7 Member Posts: 204
    Options

Is there a really good organization to give money to where the money GOES to research for a cure? Maybe that should be on Tshirt messages.

• kyliet
    kyliet Member Posts: 587
    Options

Lee7, I totally agree with you. Great message.

• shells43
    shells43 Member Posts: 499
    Options

Yes, I like BCRF's Time for Research program. You can support research by the hour. Here is the link:

https://support.bcrfcure.org/tfr/FAQ

This is the other charity that gets the profits from my shirt making biz. BCO is the other one.

P.S. LOVE the shirt, Lisa!

• Stormynyte
    Stormynyte Member Posts: 179
    Options

That's awesome shells.

Looking that their page I read that "Currently, BCRF directs more than 90 cents of every dollar raised to breast cancer research and awareness programs.", but I can not find a division of the two.

How much for research and how much for awareness? Personally, I refuse to give any more money to awareness. Unless you've been stranded on a deserted island for the last 30 years, you are aware.  

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    Options

You got that right Stormy. They've made people so aware that a pink ribbon is the CA equivilant of a car alarm. Good idea, but no one pays attention to it anymore.

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    Options

I give my money directly to the research organization.  Even though some of the money is used for "administration" they are the ones supplying the needs of the researchers.  In the Northwest we have several wonderful research programs.  The University of Washington is doing some very exciting work on vaccines against cancer, Virginia Mason is recognized internationally for it's work on pancreatic cancer, Fred Hutchinson and Children's Orthopedic have famous programs and I'm sure there are others.  These are just the ones that have most recently in the news for their work.  I'm sure there are similar centers all over the country. 

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Stormy---- glad you made that point -----it's a duh yeah right.

Granny you hit the nailon the head

To all. Should we have a Mission statement?

I personally dislike these mission/vision statements b/c I'd rether see the action. But this is a revolution. We should define it, as it started here. We need some of our WORDSMITHS to take a crack at it. I could say form a committee, but would like to see it soon lol.  sas

• shells43
    shells43 Member Posts: 499
    Options

The "Time for Research" money though should go directly to research, wouldn't you think? Now I have to check!

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    Options

Just a note on Susan B.  The Fred Hutchinson Center figured into the news story that was the final straw for me where SBK is concerned.  Komen sued a couple in Eastern Washington who had a small, local fund raiser for Fred Hutchinson as a thank you for saving their grandson from cancer.  They used the phrase Find a Cure on some of their posters.  Talk about wasting donations to finding a cure!

• Stormynyte
    Stormynyte Member Posts: 179
    Options

That's what I thought to shells, but I couldn't find where it said that it was on it's own just for research and not bundled up with their total also used for awareness. I'm paranoid about this kind of stuff now.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Again ignorant---is FIND A CURE property of SBK? I did  read copyright law a few days ago, I was prepared to copyright PO to preotect it from abuse. BUT I have to disable pop=up blocker and set security to medium. If anyone can call and talk me through that I'll do it. PM your phone or I'll Pm you mine.

Pretty lame heh? Can't do my part for the revolution b/c of pop-up blockers.