Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Pinktober Revolution

Options

Comments

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    Options

I agree about the PTSD. I did much better during the DX and rads than now that it it's over. Maybe it's the shock of the DX and structure of the treatments. Once that's done you're just kind of here. I know there will be a time when it is easier, but right now it pretty much sucks.

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    Options

What happened to the million sista march?

What happened to writing the letters?

We gotta start putting on the pressure and we need to do it before Oct1.

any feedback?

• shells43
    shells43 Member Posts: 499
    Options

Oh Katopet! Sorry about your hair! Ugh.

So I've been working on a Pinktober Revolution shirt: http://snarkyts.onlineshirtstores.com/shop/view_product/Pinktober_Revolution?n=3074823&o=0&pn=1&abs=4

I wanted to add "Think before you Pink" but alas, it is already trademarked.
    A few pages back there were lots of suggestions, including Boycott Pink, Pink Stinks, Find a Cure, Wearing Pink never cured anyone, FOCTOBER, etc.

Please give me feedback on the FONT, the shirt color (not pink? or do we want to take advantage of that pink mindset), and lets take a vote or something on the other phrase. I keep thinking it should be evident that the person wearing it has or has had BC. Do you agree? I am trying to think of something that would make it obvious. There is also a limit to how much you can fit on a shirt and still make it readable.

I'm sorry, I did try to post just a picture of the shirt so you wouldn't have to go to the site, but the thumbnail resolution is too small and when I enlarged it, it was unreadable.

Shelley

• Dakota212
    Dakota212 Member Posts: 104
    Options

U can have anything u want.... On a tshirt...lol
    Dx 7/16/2012, IDC, 2cm, Stage I, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

(Edited by Mods to fix formatting)

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    Options

PTSD is common among all cancer patients. The way my therapist explained it to me is: first the traumatic event, then how it differs from standard depression is that there are periods of highs and lows like an undulating line,and that depending on occurrences, we keep reliving the initial event which sets off another period of highs and lows.  Ill re-cover what else he said when I see him tomorrow. Memory of full explanation gone, but that basically is it. What I forget is the explanation of how to get out of it.  Every time I get near thinking that I see the end, something new happens and moves the end. Thats a paraphrase of something I read on a members tag line.

MIni just saw your tag line above from MLK. Too true. That says it all, as to why we are here.

Katopet OH My and likely you'll have a Stupid say something stupid about doing it purposefully b/c of BC.

Linda seems to me when you first came to BCO and were upset about somebodies remark, I wrote a description of a Stupid. I'll see if I can find it.

• shells43
    Options

I like "Stop Pinkwashing, Start Researching"

"Mammography is not Prevention"

Nancynow's "Research, REAL help for patients AND A CURE" and Pink Fundraising:  Eradicate cancer and corporate greed

• CLC
    CLC Member Posts: 615
    Options

FRONT:  Every pink ribbon belittles my struggle with breast cancer.  Showing a broken pink ribbon.

BACK:  Stop selling my struggle with breast cancer.  Or, Stop profiting off my struggle with breast cancer.

• shells43
    Options

@CLC I'm looking for that broken ribbon graphic. I like it.

• CLC
    Options

How about a pink dollar sign?

• Stormynyte
    Stormynyte Member Posts: 179
    Options

Ohh I like that..

pink ribbon = pink $ in a CEO's pocket

• CLC
    Options

Stormynyte...I like that a lot...but rather than the words "pink ribbon", have simply a graphic of a pink ribbon, and rather than the words "pink $", have just the graphic of it. 

• Stormynyte
    Options

I was thinking about a pink coffin logo, I just can't get the idea to come together...it's there, I just can't get it. But anyway, a coffin might get the idea out that people die from this crap and there is no pink fuzziness about it.

• shells43
    Options

http://snarkyts.onlineshirtstores.com/shop/view_product/Pinktober_Revolution?c=530623&ctype=0&n=3074823&o=0&abs=4

Ok, check this out. Kudos to CLC and StormyNyte...

This is fun!! Be sure to read the back of the shirt. Comments?

Stayed up to watch the Mars Curiosity land last night so I'm going to bed now, but will check back for comments/more ideas tomorrow.

Hugs, Sistas! 

• LuvRVing
    LuvRVing Member Posts: 2,409
    Options

I like the tshirt.  I don't dislike pink as the "color" for breast cancer.  There's a different color for every cancer/illness and ours is pink.  I hate the marketing of the pink ribbon from trash bins to handguns.  And all the things you've all talked about - not enough money for research, too much on awareness, fat salaries, etc. 

I'm in favor of a pink shirt because otherwise, it may not get the attention we all want.

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    Options

Luv...............agree with you.........all cancers have their own color, and ours is Pink...........my feeling is the pink will get their attention, thinking there is some of the usual......................awareness bullshit on it...........then when they read it, and see......................We're sick of the bullshit, and are rebelling against, all the "fake do gooders" who hide behind BC,  pretending to be really helping....................while all the time lining their pockets at "our expense".................

We need to make it Pink................or at least White with Pink...................

• Stormynyte
    Options

I vote black and hot pink

• 208sandy
    208sandy Member Posts: 582
    Options

I vote black t-shirt with pink dollar sign.

• Surly
    Surly Member Posts: 73
    Options

Ever seen a T-shirt that is screenprinted like the person is wearing a tuxedo or screenprinted like they have a great upper body or well endowed in a bikini top?

Why not create a T-shirt that has no words on it but just has a belly botton in the lower middle, maybe some nice abs, but then shocking pink scars in the appropriate places? It could be printed on T-shirts of various skin colors--pale, latte, mocha, or any shade. 

• Stormynyte
    Options

Surly, that would defiantly get some attention. I like it.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Surly/208sandy/Luv the beauty of this is any saying can go on the T, I suggested that PINkTOBER REVOLUTION be put somehow on the T , doesn't have to be the dominate slogan, But this way we recognize each other as being against what Pink in October symbolizes now. See header I edited it 8/5  to indicate same. Thanks for joining us here.

Stormy I had a slogan within the first 3 pages that was about  Bc killing us , it might do well with the coffin, BTW thanks for all your comments some are funny, some are poignant. Keep them comingCool sassy

• Mini1
    Options

I still like Mammagraphy is not prevention, find the cure, I'm tired of walking, find the cure and I'm not cured I'm a walking pharmacuetical experiment.

I am not against pink either, just its exploitation. Pink Kitchen Aide Mixers, really? How about demanding a law that states that any product using pink BC awareness symbols, slogans, etc, MUST give a substantial amount of its profits to research or programs that underwrite medical treatments. I would love to know the amount of money spent on these products each year.

• CLC
    Options

And it's not just the money...how about all of the toxins (hormone mimics and carcinogens) put into the environment and our bodies by all that extra plastic crap???  And the foods sold for you that have rbgh and transfats????  All sold with a pretty pink ribbon...  YUCK

• veggy
    veggy Member Posts: 4,150
    Options

Breast cancer still kills.

Find the cure!

(I do not take credit for any of this. I just read what you said. Instead of the flowers on the coffin... pink bows with skulls in the center.)

• julz4
    julz4 Member Posts: 1,373
    Options

I posted a page or so ago about a Thread started back in 2009 called " How old were you when first DX with BC ".  I had compiled a list of the first 3 pages some stats on the ages.  Well that got me thinking about the other 25 pages I did not. 

So I got to work & did it ALL....Here it is & copied from my post on the thread of the results I got from the post's. 

I have been working on compiling ALL 28 pages of Info on this thread! I am now done. I did not get too technical as I did this all by paper, pencil, & calculator. Also there were so many variables due to tumor size, hormone receptors, type of BC & so many other stages besides IV.

Here is what I got, (I tried to be as accurate as I could but not all the info was provided, but then it was just asked the age of first DX)

# of first time DX on all 28 pages - 761

# of stage IV - 362

# of stage IV - grade 1 - 9

grade 2 - 58

grade 3 - 109

3 youngest ages of 1st DX - 10, 12, & 16

youngest stage IV DX - 20 & 23

Age of 1st DX - 20's - 53

30's - 260

40's - 302

50's - 109

60's -34

70's + - 3

Age of stage IV DX - 20's - 20

30's - 99

40's -153

50's - 70

60's - 19

70's + - 1

Of the Stage IV DX's 1st time were 149

2end or more were 213

• sas-schatzi
    Options

NOVENA NOTIFICATION

We will be starting a novena Tuesday Aug.14th . I have asked Frank to pick the novena. Please, keep him in your prayers daily as he is being chemo challenged at present. The herceptin has stopped working. We have many members that are having condition changes on the Catholic thread and throughout BCO right now. Please , join us on the 14th.

A Novena is prayers said daily for 9 days with stating the intention of your prayer. An intention can be for a person , group, or a thought. This will be posted on threads also. You don't need to be Catholic. Prayer is Prayer. If something in the prayer doesn't fit your belief system, substitute or omit that portion. We are an Ecumenical group which means inclusive of all.

Send your intentions to me by Pm or post on Catholic thread on sunday (preferrably) or monday and I will combine them into a one list. It takes awhile to do the composite list, thats why I ask that intentions be sent on Sunday, Pax Sheila(sassy)

community.breastcancer.org/for...

• sas-schatzi
    Options

MINI and Katopet-----Found the link to BCO's teaching page about PTSD.

http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/side_effects/stress_disorder.jsp

Does a much better job than I tried. Also, I won't have to try an remember what my therapist says about it. Ah I miss those brain cells.

• julz4
    julz4 Member Posts: 1,373
    Options

Prayers being sent! SAS

• Mini1
    Options

Thanks Sas. I hear you on those brain cells. My brain is like dropping a penny down a well. It may be in there somewhere, but your chances of seeing it again are pretty slim. :-)

• kad2kar
    kad2kar Member Posts: 45
    Options

How about a florescent green with broken pink ribbon?

• sas-schatzi
    Options

MINI--- that is such a great analogy Hope I can hold on to it---LOL and irony.

Julz ThanksWink