Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Pinktober Revolution

Options

Comments

• leggo
    leggo Member Posts: 379
    Options

Somebody, please take Badger's "I wanted to find the cure for breast cancer but all I got was this lousy t-shirt", actually put it on a shirt and mail it to SK's doorstep. I'd pay big bucks to have that happen.

• leggo
    Options

Actually, I'm going to just go ahead and do that myself if it's ok with Badger. Badger, is it o.k. if I use your line?

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    Options
    You bet your sweet bippy!  (that means yes Wink)
  • Stormynyte
    Stormynyte Member Posts: 179
    Options

Badger, I love that line!

• leggo
    Options

Thanks! This is going to feel so good.

• Surly
    Surly Member Posts: 73
    Options

That is a shirt I would wear! I love it, Badger. I am an editor by profession and would like to propose a way to shorten it. Just a suggestion for whoever takes it from here--or wants to negotiate with a badger (I'm a gopher and badgers scare me):

Original: 

I wanted to find the cure for breast cancer but all I got was this lousy t-shirt 

A smidge shorter: 

I wanted a cure for breast cancer, but all I got was this lousy T-shirt  

Or shorter yet:

I wanted a breast cancer cure, but all I got was this lousy T-shirt 

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    Options

Badger loved it and love Surley's editing.

Gracie-- Shells is your gal to do it. I'll stand with you if she (Brinker) sues. If you add your name to the shirt , count me in. Same as ground floor stuff we chatted about.

Surly, totaly love knowing your an editor. Loved the way you presented it.       My post on previous page re: a link archive page.  1. does one exist already outside of BCO, that accomplishes what we want .2. could you do a category list. I can't look at links and decide where they should be put with out a category list. Losing the links as the pages fly by is something I don't think we should let happen.

• LuvRVing
    LuvRVing Member Posts: 2,409
    Options

The movie "Pink Ribbons, Inc" will be released on DVD in the US on September 25th.  Here is a link to Amazon.com - you can pre-order it if you like:

http://www.amazon.com/Pink-Ribbons-Inc-Susan-Love/dp/B00768M7XC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344687965&sr=8-1&keywords=pink+ribbons%2C+inc

My guess is that it will be available to rent, too, around that same time.  It had a very short run in one theater only here in my area (actually near Boston) so I didn't get to see it at the time.  I've been waiting for this to be more widely available, and I am glad its release is just before Pinktober.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    Options

Pink Ribbons Inc is also available on Netflix in September, I am sure the timing is not a coincidence!  I added it to my queue a when it first came out, and I have been waiting for its release.  It was shown at the Sarasota Film Festival but I was out of town and missed it.

• Surly
    Options

Hi SAS. I did see your post about archiving links. I wasn't tracking with it exactly, wasn't grasping the value of creating that subset (info overload?), and don't think I'm the person to do it. I am an editor but I'm pretty new to these boards and not swift in this medium. It's not my forte. Perhaps some participants who have been posting links could take the lead on it. Since I'm working full-time-plus right now, I have to be selective about taking on extra tasks. Sorry I can't help with your idea at this time.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    Options

hey Surly, or anyone else for that matter, help yourself to my idea and change it as you like.

and yes, badgers can be rather ferocious but I'm pretty mellow so no need to fear!  Smile

• leggo
    Options

Did my homework last night to make sure I don't end up being sued or in jail if I send the shirt. I came across this website that has nothing to do with anything....just surprised (and found it highly amusing), that something like this exists.

http://www.poopsenders.com/

Anyhoo, plan is in place for the "anonymous" t-shirt. I don't doubt that an organization that has the unmitigated gall to sue over the words "for the cure" will try to hunt me down. I'm going to be smart about it. I'm sure it won't make any difference, but it sure will give me some satisfaction for a moment or two. They seem arrogant and oblivious....I truly feel they need a little wake up call and to be taken down a peg. Something tells me it will go unopened and into the trash before anyone of any importance sees it, but whatever.

• Surly
    Options

I can't wait to give poopsenders my business--er, I mean my money, not my excrement.

I think Komen would much rather have a bunch of bc gals wear that "lousy" T-shirt than to show up at a "cure" race topless. Have you heard about breastless women going topless and making the Komenites all nervous?

• leggo
    Options

Haven't heard. Did it happen or was it just a threat?

• CLC
    CLC Member Posts: 615
    Options

Oh gosh...I would love to read up on the topless breastless women going to the races!  Do you have any links???

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    Options

I so WOULD go to a race just to go topless!! Let them all see what REAL breast cancer is about!

• Surly
    Options

I saw a TED speech online by Tania Katan, who wrote My One Night Stand with Breast Cancer (and who'd had a double mastectomy), in which she described running in a race for the cure and going to the survivor tent and taking off her shirt because she was so hot and a Komenite told her she had to put her shirt on. So she left and walked down the street topless. She said some junior high girls stopped her and asked her if that's really what BC looks like--what happens--and so she answered all their questions. I don't know if there are others. I imagine there are a few brave souls who have tried it, but I haven't researched it.

A week or two ago my brother told me about a woman who'd had a double mastectoomy in Seattle who wanted to swim at the public pool topless because swimming suits hurt her tender nerves on her chest and under her arms. The management said OK, then reneged and said she had to wear "gender appropriate" clothing. She raised a stink and it made headlines and I think got the city involved, which ruled in her favor. They said going forward they would address such issues on a case-by-case basis. I googled key words to find the articles. At that time, the woman had decided against swimming at that pool afterall.

I used the word "Komenites" liberally. I don't know if the pool people were Komenites, but I attribute the misunderstanding and willful ignorance about the realities of BC to the overwhelming cultural domination of the Komen mindsight about pretty in pink and how six months of vomiting and hair loss must be the worst of it and then you realize the blessings of the journey. 

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    Options

The pool issue would have likely fallen under the Americans with Disabilities Act. In her case, the use of a swimming suit would have prevented her from using a public pool. The case by case isue would come because there are so many variablesf such a blind person being allowed to swim with a dog. That likely would not meet the requirements due to health laws and possible damage to the pool from the fur. It's a long and complicated law but has to do with reasonoable accomodations. Coming from a property management background, I have had numerous requests over the years. Most were minor and were granted but a few we went to court for and we won because of the (un)resonableness of it. 

• shells43
    shells43 Member Posts: 499
    Options
  • sas-schatzi
    Options

Shells--can't seefront of shirt?

Badger- thanks for saying that the saving of links was your idea, I knew someone said it, but was too tired in the middle of the night after not moving the woodpile, to find it.

Suley totally understand -not taking on another project , my head has been spinning for days on the one I'm on.

To all. .1The archives would be a separate thread for links only --a storage place. 2. The intial post would be done by me. 3. Categories would be written into post. 4. I would review all pages and place link with two to three words describing link and crediting POR(PINKOCTOBER REVOLUTION) contributor. 4 I then would monitor posts to transfer links to storage thread. 5. if I became unable to monitor/transfer, we likely could work something out with mods to allow someone to take over 6. anyone could do there own link posting if they so wish- no problemo.

The reason for the categories is rapid retrievel and/or research. Categories that i can think of are 1education, 2 resarch funded organizations. 3komen( can't fight the enemy if you don't study them), 4- humor 5 buying revolt materials(Tees etc) 6. hmpf out of ideas. That's  why one of you that are so connected at finding links would be my resource for categories.---SpecialK, LuvRing, Mini(?), Surley, gracie--Shells already forget others and can't look or I'll lose the post. EDIT: MADE THE THREAD LAST NITE>>>> EITHER READ POST BELOW OR LINK IN HEADER BOXCool    Initially it would be a fair amount of work after I get the list---now b/c so many pgs have past. but doesn't have to be done in a day. Seriously , I did this on another thread and it works great, except I just did the header and transferred content. In that thread we didn't need categories.

Or each give as many categories as you can think of and i/we can sort it out.

Again if someone has done this in the internet web world, this may be superfilous. But then again done here, it could be a time saver to reach. AND each member referring to a link, thought it had value for the group. That is what I would maintain in the few word description i.e originated by______ b/c shows komen descrpancy in budget. (then link).

Surley editor, my editor am I getting closer too making it clearer?

Okay off to dinner, POR Together. sassy 

• shells43
    Options

Can't see the front as in no image? or the font is too small? I am on Chrome and can see it fine. If you hover over the shirt front it will magnify. I think a gray shirt might be better.

http://snarkyts.onlineshirtstores.com/shop/view_product/Pinktober_Revolution_2?c=530623&ctype=0&ma=4&n=3092233&o=1

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Shells can't see image., but could be ---likely is me lol can't see, can't hear, can't smell. can't taste. None of you were with me after the brain sx. couldn't type either b/c couldn't wear glasses b/c of incision. What a hoot. SpecialK was there, even in the ICU. We talked like we were at a madhatter tea party lol and great memories or at least snatches of memories. She brought me chocolate---thats a sister.

• leggo
    Options
    I think I know what she means. I can read it on my desktop, but on my laptop I have to magnify to distinguish. I think it's the color. You're right, grey would be better. However, I vote pepto-bismol shirt and black font. I always thought that pepto hue was more appropriate to cancer, that or phlegm green.Tongue out
  • Bluebird-DE
    Bluebird-DE Member Posts: 1,233
    Options
    Voracious Reader, brought forward your post. Would be a good tee.

""""We need to educate ourselves.... AND ADVOCATE FOR OURSELVES because somewhere along the way the folks who should be advocating for our best interests lost THEIR DIRECTION. """"

KestrelGurl - No, I am not dual, I just didn't understand. Am learning a little more about how the cells have to match. My docs did not talk me through, not the medical ones anyway. Onc is a man of few words, focus on the moment, fired him.

Sassy - the links thread is a good idea. It will happen. Perhaps thread pages could be done by volunteers pulling links from say... 1 - 3 and 4 - 6 etc, to get it done by more than one, then categorize what you have.

Read everything. I too like pink, it has always been one of my favorite colours, esp a pink dress when 10 and my first pink lipstick sample from Avon. But the face of this is pinkwashed, as the definition goes, until you fall into it, who can take it seriously. Like it is not so bad, could be one of the worse cancers. Oh and then there's the mets and the well, this is serious isn't it.

If I were not a member of BCO, then to this day, even w cancer in nodes I would not realize how serious this is, but for the others on here who share what they are dealing with so I know.

Like I said on another thread this evening, holding a candle for all of us tonight.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Duh started writing to myself, Hello Essa,  I like VR's thought too. The story re: the woman going shirtless -priceless.

To ALL: As far as the archive/storage thread. I think one person doing the storage with all categories inside the thread post reduces search time. Have no problem doing it, may be I should just do it.  The header can always be edited by the originator, as can any post, just can't concentrate on it till after Tuesday..

Okay thread is done

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/102/topic/791894?page=1#post_3156651

Edited this header to put in link to archive thread( new idea yay) and did the same to archive thread to link back here. Trust me it will save time.  I so wish I thought of this prior to the dozens and dozens of PM's and additions to the project I'm working on now, would have cut work majorly.

• shells43
    Options

ok, try this. What browser are you using?? Just curious.

I'm not sure if it is pepto pink or not, it is called "azalea".  

• shells43
    Options

Well, that didn't work at all. Try this.

http://www.snarkyts.onlineshirtstores.com/shop/view_product/Pinktober_Revolution_2?c=530623&ctype=0&ma=4&n=3093208&o=1&abs=4

If it still doesn't show, you go to the main store page, go to "cancer snark" under the Products tab, then sort by "newest" and there will be two versions of the shirt, one with "Pinktober Revolution" on the back, and one without. Unfortunately, if both sides are printed, the shirt costs more. That is not in my control.

P.S. This color of pink is called "azalea", I'm not sure how close it is to pepto pink, but give me feedback please.

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ho_LMBiHVg

If you can't get your hands on Dr. Brawley's book, How We Do Harm, here's a youtube video of him discussing the book.  Well worth your time watching......

• LuvRVing
    LuvRVing Member Posts: 2,409
    Options

VR - I'm reading that book on my Kindle at the moment - I'm about halfway through.  Very interesting! 

SAS - I could help you with your linky project, but not until Tuesday.  I'm moving my mom to an assisted living facility closer to me tomorrow, and today I am meeting another BC sister at a lake north of us in NH.  PM me if you would like some help.

• sas-schatzi
    Options
    LuvRing --thanks for the offer. I wrote the topic thread last night and started. I'll just do a bit at a time.Wink sassy