Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

No treatments for me.

Comments

• Bluebird-DE
    Bluebird-DE Member Posts: 1,233
    edited December 2012

Celine, thank you for the wine. Hugs to all.

Love Essa

• 1Athena1
    1Athena1 Member Posts: 672
    edited December 2012

Another picnic in heaven....

• leggo
    leggo Member Posts: 379
    edited December 2012

Cindy, hoping you managed to have a comfortable night. Gentle Hugs.

• sarahsmom
    sarahsmom Member Posts: 276
    edited December 2012

Celine, thank you for the wine, it is much needed on this topic....

Love the picture, Athena! I saw this Manet painting at the Musee D'Orsay in Paris - my favorite museum EVER. 

Love and hugs to all of you!

• sarahsmom
    edited December 2012

Has anyone heard from Cin or Elaine? I am a little worried since we've had no updates in a few days here or on Cindy's blog and just wondered.  Hugs to all of you wonderful ladies!

• leggo
    edited December 2012

Very concerned. Elaine, if you're still reading for Cin, my love to both of you.

• Linda-n3
    Linda-n3 Member Posts: 1,713
    edited December 2012

Just checking in on everyone tonight. Special thoughts and prayers for Cin for freedom from pain, and for Elaine for strength and courage - I know it is so difficult to watch a loved one suffer and have no power to change things. Praying for moments of grace for both of them, and for all on this thread.

• 1Athena1
    edited December 2012

Also re-posting the link to the flower shower thread for Cindy:

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/135/topic/796851?page=1#post_3333749

Elaine and Cindy, you've got a garden of earthly delights there!

• kayfh
    kayfh Member Posts: 79
    edited December 2012

Thank you Cindy (and Elaine who must be experiencing such incredible psychic pain). There isn't any more that I can add that hasn't already been said by my wise and loving sisters.

• sarahsmom
    edited December 2012

Thinking about Cindy and Elaine this morning...thanks to all of you for the comforting and important words in your posts here. Hugs to all

• CelineFlower
    CelineFlower Member Posts: 145
    edited December 2012

nice not to be alone..isnt it carpediem...

• ali68
    ali68 Member Posts: 644
    edited December 2012

Hi Cindy & family,

Cindy, hope your pain free and telling a few stories like you do. I miss you !

Love & hugs

Alison

• Linda-n3
    edited December 2012

(I still can't figure out how to post flowers, so will just post words...)

Cin and Elaine, thoughts and prayers for you and your family. Hoping you are pain-free and sharing loving time with your family.

Ali, Athena, Carpediem, Celine, Kayh, Gracie, Essa, and everyone else, thinking of you also and sending lovinkindness to you all.

• 1Athena1
    edited December 2012

Back at you, Linda!

Also getting antsy about the fact that we haven't heard from Cindy or Elaine.

• sarahsmom
    edited December 2012

Me, too...

• Linda-n3
    edited December 2012

OK, I just called and talked to Rick - Cin is dealing with lung and sinus infections, is on antibiotics & cough medicine. Having more burning pain of skin, but is being treated with PCA pump for pain, and is sleeping a lot more. He said Elaine is writing her blog - I admit I haven't checked it for a couple days. So she is still at home, trying to stay there through the holidays, but may be moved to in-patient hospice if needed. I told him to let her know we are all thinking of her and the whole family, and he said he will.

• ali68
    ali68 Member Posts: 644
    edited December 2012

Thanks Linda,

Xx

• leggo
    edited December 2012

Linda, thank you so much for letting us know and a special thank you for relaying the message that we are all thinking about her.

• sarahsmom
    edited December 2012

Thank you, Linda! I also appreciate the update and thanks for passing along our best wishes to Cin!

• 1Athena1
    edited December 2012

Thank you so much, Linda! I hope it doesn't get slow and cruel for Cindy - I really do.

• blondiex46
    blondiex46 Member Posts: 2,726
    edited December 2012

thanks for sharing all of it....answer a question, yes assisted suicide have to come my mind....

Sandy

• sarahsmom
    edited December 2012

Athena, I feel the same way, I just didn't know how to phrase it. She's handled all of her decisions in a way that would give her a less painful journey that she could control and it is just so dang upsetting that all of these things are happening to her and robbing her of what she wanted! I hope she can get those infections under control and get back to reading and resting, and will be able to stay in her home if possible. She deserves that much, and I'm sending a ton of thoughts and prayers to her and all of you. 

• Bren-2007
    Bren-2007 Member Posts: 842
    edited December 2012

Linda,

Thank you for calling ... Cin has been on mine a lot lately.  I hope they are managing her pain and she is feeling better.

hugs,

Bren

• 1Athena1
    edited December 2012

carpediem - it makes me furious to think that things would turn out all complicated for her for the same reasons you mention. I hope for some easing, and soon.

• Linda-n3
    edited December 2012

I think Cin has posted before about options available for medically-induced coma to relieve symptoms at some point.  This is not considered assisted suicide as I understand the definitions, but does provide comfort care and allows a person to refuse artificial support of all types, including food, water, breathing, etc.  There is an excellent introduction to some of these concepts from the Hastings Center, which is the premier publication for medical ethicists.  You can read at http://www.thehastingscenter.org/publications/briefingbook/detail.aspx?id=2202

I think there are 3 states that allow physician-assisted dying, Oregon being the first.  Many years ago I was aware of the Hemlock Society, which is now the Compassion & Choices organization.  Wikipedia has some basic information, most of which appears to be correct, but I am always a little reluctant to believe all of what is written there.  I do know that back in the '80s there was a lot of political interest in this, but as there was a push toward legalizing physician-assisted dying, there was also a push in medicine to provide better symptom relief, pain relief, better access to hospice, etc., and even though lots of people discussed this with their doctors in Oregon, most did not actually pursue it because they were treated better overall to relieve pain.  I hope this trend continues, but have given this considerable thought for myself.  I don't really know what I would or would not be able to do if or when life becomes too much of a burden - it's always easy to say what one WOULD do, but not so easy to actually follow through when the time comes.

Geez, a little morbid.  Sorry.

Tomorrow I am going to celebrate the day by going to an all-day art workshop.  I am celebrating for each of our lives, and how we have been blessed to find each other here, and how we share love and care for each other.

• blondiex46
    edited December 2012

for me it isn't life as a burden, it is when the quality of life is not there, or almost not there.

• Linda-n3
    edited December 2012

Blondie, I think that is more what I meant by "burden" ... poor quality of life becomes a true burden that is unbearable, but there are certainly other burdens that do NOT impair quality of life so much that it is unbearable. Thanks for the clarification prompt.

• sarahsmom
    edited December 2012

Linda, thank you for you words, as usual they are very touching! Enjoy your day tomorrow, how wonderful!

Blondie, I think you are right on target with the quality of life thoughts!  I have read some posts out here in the last few years about the financial burden end-of-life decisions may have on families, so maybe that would be something to consider. 

I hope you all have a peaceful evening. I am going out at midnight to see the meteor shower in the East! No moon = should be spectacular. I am a night owl who has trouble turning off the world to sleep, so I'll be outside shivering in my PJs. :-) I will make wishes for Cindy and all of you lovely ladies.

• CelineFlower
    CelineFlower Member Posts: 145
    edited December 2012

Thank you Linda..

i wish i could be there with cindy....but somehow you and others make me feel as i am.

thank you for sharring our hearts with her

• blondiex46
    edited December 2012

wish I would have read it earlier I would have gone out also!!  And you are welcome...I am always watching it, getting chemo on a wednesday and being in bed from saturday til the following tuesday is wat I am talking about QOF issues!!!

Sandy