Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Treating estrogen responsive cancer naturally

Options

Comments

• midwestsmiles
    midwestsmiles Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2021
    Options

Hi Beauties!

I just wanted to share in response to a few things on this thread. I was diagnosed pre-menopausal in 2017. I decided to hold off on surgery because I believe that my cancer is a systemic issue and I wanted to find what worked best to heal my body so I could live a looooonnng life. I was only 39 at dx with no family history. I have tried lots of treatments thus far, both allopathic and naturopathic. After four years of trying coffee enemas, juicing, fasting, IV Vitamin C, Mistletoe, Myomin/Angiostop, IP6, DIM, Calcium D-Glucarate, Breast Defend (more on that in a sec), energy healing, acupuncture, plant medicine, cbd, rso, and more, all these natural treatments healed my body, my mind, spirit and kept any metastasis away, but the ONLY treatments that shrank my tumor was letrozole, zoladex and Ibrance. I really wanted to be the all-natural woman whose cancer disappeared naturally, but after a few years and a little progression, I decided that I needed more conventional help. I started using western medicine as a way to shrink my tumor before surgery. I have finally scheduled a surgery for this month and I will then be moving into the next phase, joining all of you...maintaining health for life!

I tried Breast Defend, which was such a help for the terrible hot flashes, night sweats and lack of libido from endocrine therapy (zoladex and letrozole), until it gave me a PERIOD while I was on the estrogen blockers. Ruh roh!

So, I would just suggest tracking your hormone levels if you are pre-menopausal with at-home saliva hormone tests, and work with a naturopath or naturopathic oncologist, because herbs can be very powerful. Oh, I also plan to continue to get my CTCs tested (Biocept), as well as follow up breast exams. And although I couldn't find natural treatments to shrink or get rid of my cancer (I am very strongly estrogenic), I am grateful that I know what helps me to feel healthy and most importantly, to heal.

I wish you every one of you the best, and I'm happy to chat about any and all of these treatments. There's a lot of options out there :)

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771
    edited April 2021
    Options

midwestsmiles...so happy you found a treatment plan that works for you. We all have to make our own informed decisions. Just wanted to say something about Breast Defend. It s suppose to balance your estrogen levels by lowering the bad estrogen that causes breast cancer but not the good estrogen we all need for our vital organs such as brain, heart and skin. So I'm not surprised you got your period at your young age. Hope you continue to feel better.

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 770
    edited April 2021
    Options

Thank you for sharing: BreastDefend™ prevents breast-to-lung cancer metastases in an orthotopic animal model of triple-negative human breast cancer . Research started in 2011, even though it is not toxic, it is not prescribed by MO.

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771
    edited April 2021
    Options

Lillyishere...A conventional MO would never prescribe a supplement. They know very little about them. It just wasn't a part of the curriculum in med school.

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 736
    edited April 2021
    Options

The other issue with supplements is that they are not regulated. So even if an MD felt like there was evidence to support a certain supplement, how could they know what to tell you to buy? Any of them could have anything in it. That makes a lot of sense to me.

For my own supplement shopping, I use consumerlab.com to hopefully make sure I'm getting something like what I want to be getting. I also read all their reviews, and in general the evidence for most supplements is mixed and equivocal. I look at it as a fun thing to try and bonus if it works. But I've had the experience where I felt something worked and then I couldn't get that brand any more and was never able to replace it, because it's not standardized and regulated.

• pebblesv
    pebblesv Member Posts: 486
    edited April 2021
    Options

Hi all - so my oncologist has suggested and OK'd a one month break on Tamoxifen for me while I get the COVID vaccine (due to concerns with blood clot issues experienced by some since that's also a side effect of Tamoxifen). Anyways, I thought this would be a good time to stay tuned in to this thread as during the one-month break I want to be as healthy as possible to help keep cancer at bay. I recently had a completely clear mammogram in March so this seems like a good time to take a break. I do plan to resume Tamoxifen after a month, and when I asked my oncologist about extending the break to 6 weeks, he didn't feel good about that, so it's just one month.

I'll be doing some of the things listed here re: clean eating, regular exercise, certain things to eat and certain things to avoid...

https://www.prevention.com/health/a20473170/preven...

https://www.verywellhealth.com/diet-and-breast-can...

https://breastcancernow.org/information-support/fa...

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/316720

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/breast-cancer...

• canadaliz
    canadaliz Member Posts: 11
    edited April 2021
    Options

Hey Sisters,

You can see my profile from my tag but I didn't add that I had a hepatotoxic response to Tamox which resulted in acute onset cirrhosis. I was decompensated but have held on at compensated since August 2018 when my liver failed. All so frustrating for a non-drinker! Anyway, I know I will need a transplant at some point but must be cancer free for 5 years. My liver is now showing signs of distress and I may have to discontinue letrozole. I wondered if when you eat broccoli and cauliflower is it best that they are raw or just blanched or cooked well for best effect? Cheers, Liz

• paknc
    paknc Member Posts: 48
    edited April 2021
    Options

Canadaliz,

If possible, I would recommend that you establish a relationship with an integrative nutritionist / functional nutritionist. In the US, there are more and more of these nutritionists and nurse practitioners offering solutions as a complement or sometimes alternative to conventional drug therapy. If not available in Canada, zoom meetings may be an option for you. I have been working with a nutritionist who is part of the integrative medicine department of a well-known academic health system. She has a PhD. I use some supplements (vitamins mainly) but I order through her supplier and based on her recommendations, so I get the best quality.

Tamoxifen damaged my liver as well, but I seem to be turning things around after stopping the drug and following a low carb, low sugar diet, so far at least. My nutritionist also advises me on vitamins / minerals / supplements that I can take to support my liver. She of course recommends food as the best source and any supplement recommendations are optional. Her recommendations are based on blood draws that analyzed the micronutrients in my body. So, what works for me, may not work for you. Just like cancer - each one of us has a unique biology so the efficacy of the drugs may vary from person to person.

• pebblesv
    edited April 2021
    Options

PAKNC - great advice, and canadaliz - thank you for sharing your experience. I think it was you or someone else who posted about this issue on another board, and so thanks to the warning, I made sure to get blood tests for a liver function panel before I started tamoxifen and after I started taking it (measures your protein, albumin, bilirubin, AST, ALT and other levels related to liver function). We do all have our own experiences and I appreciate the advice so that I knew what to monitor. So far for me everything regarding liver function has stayed within the normal range. I am also making efforts for a low carb, low refined sugars diet but I do waver sometimes!

• canadaliz
    canadaliz Member Posts: 11
    edited April 2021
    Options

Dear PebblesV and PAKNC, Thank you so much for your response. I just feel like I am fighting a losing battle. I just had another scare/biopsy and am awaiting results but was given a fairly positive 'negative' as it appeared to close in on itself during the biopsy. Due to my liver condition as a result of the acute hepatic response I can never tolerate chemo (aside from aromatase inhibitors and I take Femera. However, my enzymes and GGT are roaring high so my liver is stressing. Gamma-glutamyl transferase (GGT) is an enzyme that is found in many organs throughout the body, with the highest concentrations found in the liver. GGT is elevated in the blood in most diseases that cause damage to the liver or bile ducts. I am so frustrated as I did everything right but was that 1.8% that responds that way. I know I will need a liver transplant but have to be cancer free for 5 years. March 1 was my 3 year. My gastroenterologist says he it is doubtful my liver will last me out. Both of my sons are a match but can't donate for another 2 years due to the medical ethics surrounding live liver transplants. I can't have a cadaver donation due to cancer as an organ will always go to the most viable candidate. What really gets me is an active alcoholic can have a cadaver or live liver donation but I can't due to ethics. Whatever. I just thought Letrozole would be my bridge and now I am losing that. You have given me hope. I have contacted the big hospital down in the city--the Robert Schad Clinic at the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine and am waiting for a referral. I am so glad I am not having to entrust my healing journey to crucifers alone. :) Thank you both again. I feel I have a chance again. Cheers, Liz

• pebblesv
    edited April 2021
    Options

Hi Liz - so glad we have given you hope and we are with you in spirit on this journey. My Dad has always told me to persevere -just keep persevering as you never know what’s around the corner. Just keep persevering one step forward at a time and you will get closer to your goals.

The Naturopathic medicine place sounds like a great idea so you can pursue that in conjunction with anything medical but not rely on just the medical. Before I had surgery, I was keen on doing what I could control - I started to read about foods I could eat that were breast cancer fighters (berries, carrots etc.) and while I still did and am doing the “western medicine” treatments, it felt good balancing it out with my choice of the natural healing things I could do so that I felt I was doing something, especially during the wait before surgery.

I found this article on some natural ways to help heal your liver - https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mitoq.com/blog/blog/19-super-foods-naturally-cleanse-liver%3fhs_amp=true

Anyways keep fighting and please keep us posted. We are here with you. And yes I remember now and it was you sharing your story that encouraged me to get the liver panel check, so THANK YOU. I hope this little bit of info on ways to naturally help your liver can be part of my thank you back

• hopematters
    hopematters Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2021
    Options

I am absolutely blown away about your comment about there are many ways to get back to good health

• Iahas
    Iahas Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2021
    Options

Sorry, you are having trouble with hormone balance. You may want to look at natural solutions. In Ayurvedic Medicine and Wellness, it is believed that herbs help to balance your hormones:

1. Maca
    2. Vitex Or (Chaste Tree Berry)
    3. Milk Thistle
    4. Oatstraw

You can visit iahas dot com to learn more.

Hope this helps you!
    Chinmayi Kulkarni

• Esther01
    Esther01 Member Posts: 229
    edited September 2021
    Options

Bumping up this topic with a good copy/paste read from bc survivor, Elyn Jacobs. My IMD is balancing my hormones naturally from now on. I had severe estrogen dominance with low progesterone and will never again allow my body to be drained of hormones.

https://elynjacobs.com/2020/08/04/natural-ways-to-...

Natural Ways to Balance and Manage Hormones for Breast Cancer - by Elyn Jacobs

August 4, 2020 at 7:17 am

Hormone imbalances occur when we have to much or too little of a hormone in your bloodstream. While your body secretes about 50 different hormones that control many critical functions, for the purpose of this article, I will be discussing only estrogen and progesterone. When estrogen is high and progesterone is low, we have a condition known as estrogen dominance. Estrogen dominance is often a strong risk factor for breast cancer. Fortunately, there are many natural ways to balance the hormones and manage risk of cancer.

Even small hormonal imbalances can create side effects, including increased risk of breast cancer. What women with breast cancer hear most from their doctors is that estrogen is the villain, the cause of our cancer. However, while estrogen can fuel breast cancer, there is more to the story. Estrogen can fuel a tumor's growth, but progesterone may put the brakes on that growth.

To be clear, estrogen is not bad, and in many cases, should not be reduced without due care. Estrogen plays a major role in numerous processes including blood sugar balance, as well as bone, eye, and heart health. But it needs to be balanced by progesterone, something that drops dramatically with age and increased stress.

To recap an article I wrote for The Truth About Cancer, estrogen and progesterone receptors are proteins found within many of the cells of our bodies, including cells in the breasts. Both receptors are directly involved in switching genes on and off − some 470 different genes. When estrogen and progesterone are present, these hormones stick to their respective receptors. They can then attach to specific regions of our DNA and turn genes on or off, changing the cell's behavior.

Hormone receptor-positive breast cancers have many hormone receptors. In the case of breast cancer, tumor cells become overly sensitive to estrogen. When estrogen activates its receptor, it turns on a panel of genes that tell cells to keep dividing, encouraging tumor growth. However, the body also has progesterone receptors. When breast cancer cells have working progesterone receptors, and when there is sufficient progesterone available, progesterone will slow down estrogen-fueled growth and division of these cells. According to the late John Lee, Md, author of What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Breast Cancer, when progesterone receptors are activated by progesterone, they attach themselves to the estrogen receptors. This essentially puts the brakes on the estrogen receptors, telling them to stop turning on genes that promote the growth of cancer cells, and turning on genes that promote the death of these cells.

A 2016 study led by Cambridge-based Cancer Researcher Dr. Jason Caroll of the University of Adelaide in Australia found that progesterone, via the progesterone receptor, is affecting how the estrogen receptor works. He found that the progesterone receptor actually 'reprograms' the estrogen receptor, changing the genes that it influences.[i]

Importantly, Carroll found that progesterone seems to cause cancer cells to stop growing as quickly. That said, what I am referring to is natural progesterone. While natural progesterone has an anticancer effect, synthetic progesterone does not and can actually make cancers more aggressive and deadlier. Further, synthetic progesterone does not activate tumor suppressor gene p53 when it attaches to progesterone receptors. P53 is a repair gene, which protects cells from becoming cancerous.

Toxic Substances Act Like Estrogen

We are bombarded daily with chemicals in the air, our food, and the products we use in our home and on our bodies. These chemicals, also known as xenoestrogens, are considered endocrine or hormone disruptors because they interfere with the production of hormones. They cause wide-ranging damage in the body. For example, bisphenol A (BPA) and bisphenol S (BPS), found in plastics, can liners, cash register receipts and most paper products mimic estrogen and can disrupt multiple hormonal pathways. Unlike our own estrogen, chemical estrogens (xenoestrogens) are particularly harmful. Read more HERE.

Fortunately, there are many natural approaches to ease hormones back into balance and reduce your risk of breast cancer.

Natural Approaches for Balancing Hormones

Let's take a look at some herbs and natural approaches to balancing hormones.

Phytoestrogens modulate estrogen levels. Phytoestrogens work similarly to tamoxifen, blocking the effects of estrogen in breast tissue.[ii]

They act more like estrogen blockers than like estrogen; they modulate the production, availability, and action of hormones and slow down cell division. This is important as many oncologists illogically warn women to avoid them.

Phytoestrogens bind preferentially to estrogen receptor sites in the body. However, they are 99% weaker than our own natural estrogen, which means that they have very little estrogenic effects in the body. It also means that by binding to the receptors, more aggressive natural estrogen or xenoestrogens from the environment will be less able to bind to the receptors. Therefore, phytoestrogens might limit the negative estrogenic impact of those estrogens. Instead of fueling estrogen-dependent cancers, phytoestrogens tend to reduce the risk of these cancers. Even the NCI (National Cancer Institute) acknowledges that the plant-based hormones may have anticancer effects.[iii]

Meanwhile, if you are post-menopausal with very low estrogen levels, phytoestrogens may help reduce the resulting effects, such as bone loss, eye damage, and heart damage. Soy and flaxseed are two of the most powerful phytoestrogens, but herbs such as red clover, sage, hops, and fenugreek are also helpful.

Soy blocks cancer-promoting estrogens from attaching to the estrogen receptors on breast cells. It has also been shown to stop tumor growth, prevent metastasis, and shut off new blood vessels in growing tumors. Fermented soy, such as tempeh and miso are preferred over unfermented versions such as tofu. This is because the fermentation process increases free radical scavenging activity and removes the nutrient blocking effect that soy can have—the phytic acid in unfermented soy can block absorption of key minerals such as magnesium and zinc. Soy in a highly processed form (like soy protein isolate or soy protein concentrate) should be avoided as they have the greatest ability to block nutrient absorption. Due to the fact that most soy is genetically altered, it is highly recommended to consume only organic and non-GMO. (My only issue with tempeh is that it is commonly 'shrink-wrapped' in plastic')

Flaxseed modulates the production, availability, and action of hormones—and does so much more (flax –and sesame seeds– offer anti-cancer lignans which can significantly reduce tumor growth by increasing cell death and decreasing the growth of new blood vessels that allow cancer to advance). As for hormones, the lignans in flax lower the production of estrogen by blocking the aromatase enzyme (similar to aromatase inhibitors) and block the estrogen receptors (similar to Tamoxifen). When lignans are consumed, intestinal bacteria convert them into enterolactone and enterodiol, weak estrogens. They attach to estrogen receptors, stimulate them weakly and block estrogen binding. This prevents estradiol or estrone from attaching to the estrogen receptors and strongly stimulating them, and includes not just the estrogen we produce, but also environmental toxins, thus making breast tissue more resistant to these environmental toxins. One long-term study reported that relatively high circulating enterolactone levels are associated with lower risk of death after an early-stage breast cancer diagnosis. Please read my articles — Flaxseed: Better Than Tamoxifen and Demystifying Flaxseed and Estrogen.

Licorice root and Vitex (also known a chaste tree berry), focus more on raising progesterone. Progesterone tends to fall sharply as we age and are no longer ovulating. While bio-identical progesterone supplement progesterone directly, licorice root and vitex are thought to lower estrogen levels while simultaneously raising progesterone, thus helping to relieve hormone imbalance and estrogen dominance. (use caution if you have elevated blood pressure)

Combining vitex with stress-reducing adaptogens such as ashwagandha or Schisandra can be helpful as stress tends to lower progesterone. Some people have reported that vitex worsens depression, so discontinue if that happens. (Do not take Schisandra with Tamoxifen).

Red clover can bind weakly to estrogen receptors, standing in for estrogen when levels are low and lowering high estrogen levels, helping to balance the hormones and correct estrogen dominance.

White peony root, something often used in traditional Chinese medicine, also supports progesterone. Black cohosh seems to support healthy estrogen levels not by actually boosting estrogen, but by improving brain-ovary communication and modulating cell receptors. This can help reduces menopausal symptoms and ease depression.

Adaptogens such as maca support hormone balance and may boost libido and mood while decreasing anxiety.

Vitamin E is crucial to maintaining a healthy balance between progesterone and estradiol. Vitamin C plays an important role in preventing the degradation of steroid hormones into toxic and cancer-promoting metabolites. It also regenerates estrone and significantly regenerates progesterone.

Vitamin B6 has been shown to help increase levels of progesterone in the blood naturally. Magnesium is another key nutrient for increasing progesterone levels, as it plays an important role in maintaining a healthy hormonal balance in the body.

Probiotics support gut bacteria and improve digestion, helping to prevent constipation. This is important because when poop remains in the bowel for extended periods of time, excess estrogen is re-absorbed and re-circulated into the bloodstream. Plus, immune function depends on healthy gut microflora—and gut flora effects cancer genes too!

Consume GLA (gamma-linoleic acid), which is found in evening primrose oil and in hemp seeds. Research shows that this type of omega-6 may support healthy progesterone levels.

Get more sleep—lack of sleep disturbs hormone balance. Try to get to sleep by 10 pm as melatonin production peaks between 10 pm and 2 am. Melatonin stimulates tumor-suppressor genes and counteracts the effects of aggressive estrogens, including xenoestrogens. Cell phone EMF exposure can suppress the production of melatonin—limit use before bed and do not keep near your bed, and preferably out of your room.

If you are overweight, lose weight. Fat cells increase estrogen production. Increased weight often means insulin resistance and this is a common cause of high estrogen levels. Insulin resistance leads to an up regulation of the aromatase enzyme leading to high estrogen. Plus, over-consumption of calories leads excessive free radical formation. Free radicals damage cells and cause genetic mutations, which ultimately can lead to cancer.

Your Liver and Estrogen

Be sure that your liver and gut are functionally efficiently as estrogen is metabolized in the liver and excreted out of the bowel. Think of your liver as a filter that neutralizes toxic substances so that they can safely be excreted from the body. By enhancing liver function, more estrogen is broken down in the body, reducing the overall estrogen load.

When the liver and colon have become sluggish due to low thyroid function, stress, and an overburden of toxins, the body cannot break down and remove excess estrogen adequately from the system. The excess unbalanced estrogen gets stored in the fat cells of breast tissues when it is not properly eliminated. Nutrients derived from cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts as well as sulforaphane supplements help with the detoxification of estrogen through the liver (Read about Sulforaphane HERE)

Supporting the liver with supplements such as N-acetylcysteine (NAC), Milk Thistle, and SAMe can be very helpful. DIM and Indole-3Carbinol, two other extracts of cruciferous vegetables, can encourage proper metabolism of estrogens in the body and help to clear excesses and xenoestrogens from the system. Dandelion, herbal bitters, artichoke extract, also support the liver in detoxifying, metabolizing, and excreting hormones. Fiber binds to bile (liver's waste) to support excretion.

For more on detoxification and liver function, please request my Estrogen and Detoxification Handouts or visit the Estrogen Management and Detoxification Sections on my supplement page.

Natural Aromatase Inhibitors:

Pumpkin seeds, button mushrooms, and supplements such as DIM, vitamin K2, calcium d-glucarate, zinc, gingko biloba, and grapeseed extract (organic please) are natural aromatase inhibitors. Research done at the State University of New Jersey demonstrated that a 2% concentration of rosemary extract was able to inactivate excess estrogen[iv] Apigenin – found in parsley, celery, and chamomile—is another aromatase inhibitor and is a potent estrogen metabolizing compound.

Read more on Natural Aromatase Inhibitors HERE.

Note: while herbs are powerful, it may take at least 4 months of use to begin to show benefits. Further, herbs can interact with one another or with various medications, so always consult your doctor before use.

Testing: If you are looking to lower your estrogen levels, you may want to test your hormone levels first. You can be low on estrogen and still be estrogen dominant, so it may be important to acquire this information. Also note that it is possible to have 'normal' estrogen levels when tested via blood or saliva, but still have high estrogen symptoms. This can happen if your body is not detoxifying estrogen correctly.

In your everlasting good health,

Elyn

~~If you don't know your options, you don't have any~~

ej portrait 150resElyn Jacobs is a breast cancer survivor and holistic cancer strategist who helps people make healthier, less-toxic choices for their healing. She emphasizes the importance of not just surviving cancer, but surviving well and reducing the risk of recurrence. Elyn specializes in understanding the role of estrogen in breast cancer and debunks the myths associated. She is a Contributing Editor for The Truth About Cancer and is on the Medical Advisory Board for BeatCancer.Org and the Advisory Board to the Radical Remission Project. Elyn has written for numerous journals and publications. She was the former Executive Director of the Emerald Heart Cancer Foundation and the creator and host of the Survive and Live Well Radio Show. To contact Elyn, visit http://www.elynjacobs.com. Elyn offers consults via Skype, phone, or in-person. Elyn does not provide online advice.

DISCLAIMER:
    Elyn Jacobs does not provide medical advice. The information provided is for general information only. No online site should be used as a substitute for personal medical attention.

This information is for educational purposes only and is not a recommendation to forgo medical advice and treatment. This post is not intended to treat, cure, prevent, or diagnose any disease or condition. This post does not represent medical advice nor should it be considered to be medical advice or a replacement for medical advice. I encourage you to discuss this information with your integrative oncologist, naturopathic doctor, or conventional oncologist. The information provided is from my research and not to be taken as scientific evidence.

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 285
    edited September 2021
    Options

@Esther - living a healthy and balanced life is an excellent idea. Holistic treatments in conjunction with scientific backed medical care can be beneficial to many. But I consider posting information from Elyn Jacobs very dangerous. She has a bachelors degree in economics and finance and NO formal medical training. She is a 'cancer coach' that has turned her cancer experience into a profitable business. I did not read every word of her website, but there is little to no basis in many of her statements. What you choose to do for yourself is up to you, but please be very careful so you do not mislead others.

I ask the Mods to consider whether this information belongs on bco.org due to Elyn's lack of scientific data.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,820
    edited September 2021
    Options

Harley,

Thank you for letting the mods know. I would really, really love for there to be away to cure cancer and every other disease in the world using only natural substances that are se free and always work. Wouldn’t we all? I also think that eating well and a healthy lifestyle is important. But here is what troubles me:

“The information provided is from my research and not to be taken as scientific evidence.“

With a disclaimer like that, it would be extremely difficult for me to give Ms. Jacobs any credibility. I have a bachelors degree too and a masters. I have lived with stage IV bc for 10 years with no progression. Guess what? I am still not qualified to give advice on treating bc. What, btw, is a cancer coach?

• Esther01
    edited September 2021
    Options

Thanks Harley,

Welcome to the "alternative" forum. That is why I have posted here. That woman is a breast cancer survivor and this is a topic well worth researching. I do my own research. I am not leading anyone anywhere.

Incidentally, my own doctor, with two doctorates including a full MD and chemistry/biochemistry degrees which most doctors don't even have, has succeeded in helping thousands of cancer patients and happens to be balancing my hormones the exact same way... instead of starving them out of me.

I stand by my post.

Cordially,

Esther

• Esther01
    edited September 2021
    Options

Here is another interesting read on the same topic of naturally restoring hormonal imbalance, this time from Vitality Magazine out of Canada.

https://vitalitymagazine.com/article/the-menopausa...

• BlueGirlRedState
    BlueGirlRedState Member Posts: 900
    edited September 2021
    Options

Are hormone balances well understood as well as what is considered "normal" in menopause? The only time mine were measured was years ago when periods changed/skipped etc. When tested, I was told I was perimenopausal. I've wondered to if "starving" ER+ cancer makes sense when estrogen is still important in menopause.

• GoKale4320
    GoKale4320 Member Posts: 580
    edited September 2021
    Options

Regarding Elyn, I thought eating flaxseed and broccoli sprouts was all I needed to keep from having a recurrence. Nope. I have also made other big changes to my diet and lifestyle, but without any luck. So I am now doing big pharma, along with my healthy diet and hoping for the best.

• racheldog
    racheldog Member Posts: 209
    edited September 2021
    Options

Several of you have really enlightened me on the fact that hepatotoxicity is a definite SE of Tamoxifen. I am not pre menopausal and coming up are the AI drugs for me----which I am very leery of. Kadcyla was bad enough watching LFTs rise . Will have to research if the AI drugs do the same?

• racheldog
    edited September 2021
    Options

Also, what is the best choice here? Ayurvedic medicine? Finding a good Naturopathic MD? A functional medicine MD? I would not give up conventional medicine but would sure like to hear what non-traditional Western medicine might not offer in terms of lowering estrogen without going on those horrible and toxic AI drugs?

Also sad that most complementary medicine avenues will most likely not be covered by insurance.

• purple32
    purple32 Member Posts: 1,767
    edited October 2021
    Options

Racheldog

I think the key is to get someone very very good and THEN follow up on your own . I recently had a telehaetlth with a Functional Dr. He had a 7 page HX to fill out and on the phone, I reminded him of all of my issues ( INCL having BC 2x) He advised me to take soy protein! I later emailed him and told him my ONC said that was not a good idea. He then said Whey ( DAIRY) Later, he said to take strontium for my bones. I looked up the exact supplement he advised and saw there were significant cardiac risks.

If you take the Als, pls watch your bones - Exercise as much as you can and have FREQUENT BMD tests. I have osteoporosis ( cannot take the Als) and it is NOT fun at all., Good Luck to you as you navigate this stuff.

Laurie

• purple32
    edited October 2021
    Options

candaliz

Sorry to hear what the meds did .. and did not know they could!
    What about DIM for you ?

Laurie

• purple32
    edited October 2021
    Options

THANK YOU GoKale

• racheldog
    edited October 2021
    Options

I filled my first script for Letrozole and am just staring at it. Probably the saddest script I ever picked up at the pharmacy. I am just dreading starting these. I just finished chemo, radiation and herceptin all of which was not fun. My first diagnostic mammo was good. However, I should be celebrating but looking at these pills I am not. I still have brain fog and some eye blurriness that I blame on the Herceptin. All these things are not without side effects despite the dismissing of SE that oncologists do.

I spent this morning looking at functional medicine docs and some podcasts and even some Naturopathic doctors. Sad that traditional western medicine plays down NDs so much. I definitely want to have a backup to these awful AI drugs. I think they have just horrible side effects for women. Yes, I am looking at DIM and green tea extract and grape seed extract, etc. I certainly do not want to be taking 30 vitamins a day either. So sad to hear that for some of you healthy diet, exercise, etc, still gave you recurrances. So scary , all of this.

• paknc
    paknc Member Posts: 48
    edited October 2021
    Options

After working with a nutritionist for a year now, I also recommend double checking any recommendations against your own research / other providers and being prepared to ask questions and make your own suggestions. I value my nutritionist's advice but not all has been right for me due to individual differences, which became clear with lab results (I'm working on metabolic health and nerve pain). In some cases, I haven't been comfortable with the idea of taking high doses of minerals she suggested so declined them. I get certain labs run regularly to make sure nothing is amiss when trying out dietary changes and that the strategies are working.

• racheldog
    edited December 2021
    Options

I have not been on this post for awhile but I want to ask any of you about products like Breast Defend. I finished Herceptin late September and have not yet started Letrozole. Or any other AI drug. Just terrified of them and being able to survive all the side effects of those toxic drugs! I vowed I would try the first of the year and in the meantime have been doing all the other appts. I have missed over my one year journey.

Doubt there are oncologists who would give thumbs up to any supplements. The just go by Western medicine protocol. Asking any of you if you did DIM or Cruciferous vegetable supplements (and foods) and /or what have your Alternative doctors suggested? I looked into a good Naturopathic doctor in Arizona who I am considering doing a Zoom with. Very pricey, all out of pocket and ?? worth it?? I do not know. I also found a Chinese medicine MD locally and am considering that. Any input is appreciated.

There are so many DIM products but I was going to start low dose and zeroing in on Life Extension one.

• wondering44
    wondering44 Member Posts: 260
    edited December 2021
    Options

@Racheldog,

I take vitamin C & D, magnesium, iodine, and turkey tail mushrooms. No issues from my MO. My new cancer Gyn recommends the magnesium and turkey tail mushrooms. I changed my diet to an organic, low-fat and low-carb diet. I added lots of bone broth. I am doing collagen loading this week before starting Letrozole on Monday (MO approved). My MO and cancer Gyn recommended acupuncture, exercise, and yoga to counteract side effects. I am also doing the MO-recommended cancer treatments. I know the fear of AI SEs. I also know the fear of wondering if I will hear the stage IV diagnosis at some point in my life. My husband asked me to consider all-natural remedies instead of harsh medical treatments. I considered it. As much as I understand why he asked me to think about it, he is not in the same pair of shoes I am in trying to make sure I spend many years living life now that I have a clear picture that life will be gone one day with or without my consent.

I picked up my Letrozole this past weekend. The pharmacist asked if I was pregnant. I had a good laugh at the question since there is not a chance I could get pregnant, and if I could, I certainly would not right now, considering the treatments. The pharmacist thought I was being rude. I asked my MO to postpone taking Letrozole until after Christmas, which my MO said was okay to give me a few days off from cancer. A few days off from cancer have been great for me. I did it before starting rads too. I have thoroughly enjoyed both mini-vacays.

Make your decision. Do not regret the choice you make. Do not wonder what the other decision might have done. You will never know what the other choice would have brought to you because you did not choose it. The "what-ifs" are "impossible unknown unknowns."

• racheldog
    edited December 2021
    Options

Wondering44. You sound like me! I asked (well I decided) I would not start the Letrozole until Jan 1. I , too, took a cancer break after Kadcyla (awful) and went into WB radiation in between and before starting the Herceptin. I never agreed to doing treatments concurrently, only sequentially. I went into this pretty healthy and one year later sort of a new "me" beginning. I may be older than you and live alone in a house with animals and a lot of "things" i need to take care of on my property. If I feel horrible and have no QOL or be able to function to take care of myself on Letrozole or any of the other AI's I will consider it a crapshoot and not do them. So far I have a couple breast cancer friends that quit the drugs.

I heard about Turkey tail and will in to that. It is the "DIM" product that I wish there were far more studies about. Or any other natural aromatase inhibitors.

Is your MO planning on keeping you on both the Zoladex and Letrozole?