Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

ALL THINGS Gloves and sleeves

Comments

• MLmom
    MLmom Member Posts: 35
    edited July 2015

Hi Kareenie, I will look into your suggestions. I just did kinesiotape of my hand today with the instructions from Step up Speak out (http://www.stepup-speakout.org/kinsiotaping_for_lymphedema.html). Is that also how you do you hand taping? I had tried another way a few weeks ago without real success.

Thank you

• MLmom
    edited July 2015

Minustwo and Kareenie, which Jovipack product seems to work for you, full lenght arm/glove or separate pieces? What Jobst custom do you have? Seamed, Elvarex, Elvarex soft or Elvarex soft seamless?

Thanks again!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,263
    edited July 2015

ML - Sorry, I got them backwards. My LE is truncal so I'm wearing the sleeves during exercise or repetitious movement. I do wear a compression bra/vest 24/7, but not the sleeves since they are to prevent further spread of LE & not immediate treatment. Here's what I know.

Jobst Bella Lite - ready to wear, size small/long w/silicone dot band, Cat# 101334. This is the only stock sleeve that is long enough for my arms. Not tight enough in the wrists to please LEPT, but good for water aerobics, and probably light gardening.

Juzo Silver custom sleeves - silicone dots at top, Juzo Soft 2001 c-g

Juzo Silver custom gauntlets #3021AC MTM (made to measure). I have these for flying but haven't worn for anything else yet.

• kareenie
    kareenie Member Posts: 97
    edited July 2015

This is how I tape my hand

• kareenie
    edited July 2015

Here is another one

• kareenie
    edited July 2015

The strips have loops at ends which go around base of fingers to secure them.

• kareenie
    edited July 2015

My Jovipak night garment is all one piece fingers to axilla. Stitched figers and extra padding dorsum and palm of hand.

My day garment is elvarex custom.

• MLmom
    edited July 2015

Thank you so much kareenie for the info and for taking time to make pictures of your taping. If my current method is not working (did today for first time) I will sure give it a try! So glad I found this discussion board as I am new to all this I feel a lot less "alone"

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited July 2015

BTW I had to switch from Medi 95 (discontinued) to a Jobst product. Much more comfortable. I love the fabric. I wear off the shelf though

• AussieElaine
    AussieElaine Member Posts: 43
    edited July 2015

Hi ladies, I have custom made arm sleeve and glove in Jobst Skin which is a very lightweight fabric but still class 2 compression. They also sew a lovely soft satin lining at the elbow crease area which stops any irritation.I am entitled to 2 sets each year through our Medicare system in Australia. BUT who knows I may not need them in six months as I have just had LVA surgery in the UK, keeping my fingers crossed 😊

• LindaKR
    LindaKR Member Posts: 1,304
    edited September 2015

Lago - I haven't been on here for a while, just noticed your post - "your oncologist doesn't believe in sleeves" What the heck?

• lago
    edited September 2015

Yup. When she diagnosed me she told me to exercise. No guidance what so ever. I then called my PS and he sent me to "the guy" to see for LE. Granted my LE isn't that bad but this LE MD is one of the founders of LANA. He supports wearing sleeves. In my case my arm feels great wearing it.

My MO is a very bright lady and I'm glad she is my MO but I don't agree with everything she does. When I got depressed from Anastrozole she didn't believe it was the drug. I mean I went off the drug for 5 weeks and was fine. The switched to Exemstane and got anxiety, like really bad anxiety. I didn't even bother with my MO. Went to my PCP.

No doctor is perfect. But I know if I ever progress to mets she is the MO I want to see.

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited October 2015

Hi ladies - I've not posted on here for quite awhile, but just wanted to share some sleeve info. Up until now I've only worn Medi 95 my first year and then switched to Jobst for 2 years. (I do not have custom coverage). Just got fitted at a new place and received a Juzo - I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! So much better for me than any of the others -- mostly because I have a larger upper arm and smaller wrist - and the Max really works amazing well for me. I barely know it is on. Before with the Jobst I always felt my upper arm was in a tourniquet. Plus, it does not seem as hot as the Jobst.

I AM HAPPY!!

• lago
    edited October 2015

Denise I too made the switch from Medi 95 to Juzo. They are much more comfortable than Medi 95 but I didn't feel the compression was as strong so I went up a compression.

BTW I met with my LE MD today. Asked again if I should wear a sleeve on my at risk 4 node arm when I fly. He said the jury is still out. Studies aren't clear one way or another. Do what I feel comfortable with.

• carol57
    carol57 Member Posts: 1,550
    edited October 2015

Lago, can you take a peek at the 'flying' thread? Your post here makes me wonder if your LE MD, who is reputed to be quite a kindly soul, would be willing to point us toward the relevant studies, for the purpose of doing a by-patients study review for all to share and discuss here in BCO. I've met him but don't know him to speak of.

• lago
    edited October 2015

I think he was talking about a conference that just took place at the University of Chicago recently:

http://lymphaticnetwork.org/news-events/chicago-br...

or

http://goo.gl/fkNmo3

• carol57
    carol57 Member Posts: 1,550
    edited October 2015

lago, thanks

• rachelvk
    rachelvk Member Posts: 564
    edited October 2015

Hi ladies. I have not been diagnosed with LE but had nodes removed during my BMX 4 years ago. When I've flown in the past, I've used a sleeve my PT gave me when I asked - basically just a length of tubing cut (sort of) to length. I'm going to India in 2 weeks, though, and I've been meaning to get a real sleeve/gauntlet just in case. Any suggestions? I've been looking at Lymphedivas for a while and just basically want a plain one. Thanks for your thoughts.

• sandcastle
    sandcastle Member Posts: 289
    edited October 2015

I, have a sleeve from Diva'a and a Gauntlet.....the patterns are very nice but for ME the compression is not that good......the only other I have tried is Solaris which is a strong compression....the girls here have been talking about Juzzo....when I go to my PT at CentraState in Freehold next month I am going to ask her about this one......Liz

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833
    edited October 2015

I use Juzo. They have plain, colors and tied-dyed patterns.

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    edited October 2015

i use juzo too. Very comfortable.

• paintThesky
    paintThesky Member Posts: 16
    edited October 2015

I use the Jobst Bella strong, because it came in a variety of sizes. I like it, it's pretty comfortable, and the price point is good I paid less than $60.00 for the last one I ordered.

• kicks
    kicks Member Posts: 319
    edited October 2015

I have custom Juzo Silver for day garments (Solaris Tribute for night) and have no complaints.

• tessu
    tessu Member Posts: 1,294
    edited October 2015

Hi. I live in Finland now, in a smallish city with not very good LE treatment resources. I had right mastectomy with 9 nodes out (all clear) the end of August, chemo every three weeks starting 3 weeks post-op, and developed truncal then operated arm/hand lymfedema about 3 weeks ago. The hospital physical therapist has not been much help regarding using the arm, exercises, etc, but did say elevation as much as possible. She gave a Jobst Bella Lite sleeve and poorly fitting Lymed glove for daytime. The glove rubbed the skin open between my thumb and finger, so I had to stop all compression for almost a week (sleeve alone balloons my hand), but a better Jobst glove arrived yesterday. Whether I'll get a vest for my truncal lymfedema is still open (hope so --- it hurts, especially late afternoon/evening when it gets worse).

My question: apparently in Finland nothing is worn for night compression. My swelling worsens at night, especialy in my hand, even though I sleep with the affected side up, arm on a pillow. From these forums it seems you USA ladies do have night compression garments. Should I just order a lighter compression level sleeve/glove for night wear? (My day gear is level 2) Also: if I start using a compression vest, will that make my arm/hand LE worse?

I am grateful for any help/advice you could give. Thanks and have a better today than yesterday :)

• gmafoley
    edited October 2015

It is not a good idea to wear sleeve at night. I can cause more swell - I use a short sleeve compression shirt and elevate my arms at night. When it gets bad, I do have a night garment to wear but it is so cumbersome, I have trouble wearing it.

• sandcastle
    sandcastle Member Posts: 289
    edited October 2015

Gma....Very rarely can I make it though the night with my compression.....they tell you to WEAR it.....but I just wonder if they could sleep like that.....I always end up pulling it off and getting rest....How much can one go through...Liz

• gmafoley
    edited October 2015

Here is a good place to go and give this information to your physical therapist:

http://www.stepup-speakout.org/essential%20informa...

• tessu
    tessu Member Posts: 1,294
    edited October 2015

Thank you thank you thank you!

I'm so glad I asked about night compression before I just went ahead and did it, and probably would have made the situation worse.

GmaFoley, I'll share that great link with the physical therapist, but will probably get the best help by reading through all that massive information myself.

I was evaluated by a different physical therapist who does Vodde Wrapping (rolls of guaze covered by rolls of plastic foam covered by stretch bandages. She said because of infection rosk, she ususally waits until after chemo to start. Does anyone here have experience with that method?

Sandcastle --- do you mean sleeping with just a compression vest, no sleeve/glove?

Those of you with vests: when do you wear them? Daytime at the same time as sleeves and gloves? Or nighttime alone? If one is packaged up in glove, sleeve, and vest, where does the extra fluid have a place to escape??

(Sorry for all the questions but I'm very much a newbie here).

• gmafoley
    edited October 2015

Never be sorry for newbie questions.. That is why we are here. My nighttime vest also has nighttime sleeves to put on. They aren't the compression type sleeves though. I have a crazy picture of me somewhere - between the garments and CPAP stuff I look pretty funny. That same sight has a wrapping page: http://www.stepup-speakout.org/wrapping_bandaging_.... All the links on that site will answer most of your questions. But it is always better to ask here too.

Here is that funny picture of me in my night garb LOL:

• doxie
    doxie Member Posts: 700
    edited October 2015

You'd scare a bugerler away!