Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

ALL THINGS Gloves and sleeves

Comments

• runnergirl26
    runnergirl26 Member Posts: 66
    edited May 2015

no one ever told me to put the glove unbnder the sleeve so I will try that. No I dont have a glove with a pocket. Mine are all off the shelf so havent been given one with a pocket although they wanted me to try and shove a foam pad underneath the glove. It took like three people to get it under. well maybe two. Who is the manufacturer of your custom glove and sleeve and is it one piece?

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited May 2015

I was told to but the glove over the sleeve.

• SusanSnowFlake
    SusanSnowFlake Member Posts: 57
    edited May 2015

I wish this thread said Cami's along with sleeves and gloves.

I ordered this: http://www.hanes.com/onehanesplace/womens-shapewear/new-shapewear/popular-shapewear/bali-camisole-top-24381

It's a lacy cami shapewear that is light and airy. It was much more comfy in 80 degrees.  I don't think it's going to last very long so I'm going to order several more, at 30.00 it should get me through the summer.    The straps are a problem but can be solved with: 

http://www.blair.com/p/87521.uts?cl=Y&cid=pl_bl_yahoobing_pla_gen&src_code=209N&pr_code=pr_code&device=c 

Wonder why they can't make a sleeve out of the same material just for really hot days?

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,263
    edited May 2015

Susan: The PT who has been treating my truncal LE said definitely never thin straps. Most of the camis & sports bras & tanks I showed her did not come up high enough under the arm pits and were too low in the back for the compression required. That even included many of the stretch camis with 1" wide straps since they didn't provide the compression for chest, breast & back. Sigh. I've had to re-think my entire summer wardrobe - not easy w/98 degree heat & 98% humidity coming up.

This is what I've ended up wearing 24/7 lately, so I at least can wear low neck tops.

http://www.wearease.com/wear-ease-products/product...

• kicks
    kicks Member Posts: 319
    edited May 2015

Juzo for my custom gloves and sleeves. 2 seperate sections (glove and sleeve). A one piece would not be an option for me for day garments. Have to be able to take glove(hand) off and on often with all I do.

Lago - I was never told to put glove over sleeve - it's what the pictures show. It is also 'quicker/easier' to just pull over but for me does not work as good. I have discussed it with my LET guy and he says it does make sense so do it.

• shorfi
    shorfi Member Posts: 437
    edited May 2015

I have to return my sleeve and glove because my fingers and wrist were so swollen. I called the folks at Lymphedivas and said to take off the sleeve and they will replace it with a Class I long sleeve and gauntlet. And the young lady told me to wear the glove over my sleeve.

• SusanSnowFlake
    SusanSnowFlake Member Posts: 57
    edited May 2015

@MinusTwo

The second link  (http://www.blair.com/p/87521.uts?cl=Y&cid=pl_bl_yahoobing_pla_gen&src_code=209N&pr_code=pr_code&device=c) in my post shows a way to deal with straps that are to thin, shoulder cushions.  But, you can actual buy them in Macy's intimate dept.

They even come in gels http://www.amazon.com/Fashion-Forms-Shoulder-Cushion-2-Pairs/dp/B007H52GLM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1432834196&sr=8-3&keywords=bra+strap+cushions which are very comfortable. 

Curediva has them: http://www.curediva.com/strap-cushions.html#sthash.lYTEYGcP.dpbs

• minustwo
    edited May 2015

Thanks Susan, I saw those, but it's not just the fact that the straps are thin. For my truncal LE, the garment itself has to be cut clear up above my arm pits and in the back it must be not far below my collar bone. It's going to be a warm summer.

• mary625
    mary625 Member Posts: 154
    edited June 2015
    Those who have a Solaris night garment--how often do you have to replace it? Mine looks like the stuffing is coming out on the inside. I never wash it inside out. I've only had it six months. I signed up for the warranty, but I'm away right now so can't do anything about it until I get home. It's a very expensive thing to have wear out in six months. I know that the compression sleeves do though.
  • sandcastle
    sandcastle Member Posts: 289
    edited June 2015

Mary....I heard it is Every 6 months!!!! You must have the Tribute??? I know that runs high.....I have BiaCare for Night...which ran $150.00 now I do not see it on the Site.......I do use Solaris ExoStrong for day compression.....I have to say...DAY or NIGHT....I hate it.....Liz

• lago
    edited June 2015

I've been told my sleeves should be replaced every 6 months too.

BTW has anyone switched from Medi 95 to Juzo 2002? Looking for a review.

• agness
    agness Member Posts: 406
    edited June 2015

stage 0 reporting back from my in-the field experience:

• I have continued with lymphatic massage and drainage by a professional, as well as self care and I'm quite stable now.
    • Compression to my back is not helpful as my left arm needs to drain across that path so racerback tanks are out entirely.
    • I had some camisole athletic tops that are older with straps that dont dig in and it helps provide some extra support and compression for fitness
    • My body does not like any compression at night. It will passively drain on its own, even if I sleep on my arm but dont put anything restrictive on as it will be mad about it (slight seelling that dissipates pretty easily)
    • I can mow the front or back of my small yard with a pushmower but not both unless I want to swell (not)
    • I have a GAPfit athletic top with long sleeves that provides a comfortable about of pressure to my arm. If I wear it during the day when slightly congested (which isnt most of the time for me) it helps.
    • I have a womens compression running shirt but the lower arm is not snug and we know what that will do. Im thinking of taking my sewing machine to it to tighten it up.

I contemplate going to the store to puck up some performance fabrics to try sewing my own sleeves out of lycra-based fabric. Bespoke with lycramight be the way to go for those of us who need just a little extra support sometimes.

HTH

• susan3
    susan3 Member Posts: 2,631
    edited June 2015

just jumping in with a question. Right now I am wrapped to bring swelling down before sleeve. I have always had allergy issues, tight stuff makes me break out. I am getting all kinds of welts, and hives and itchy stuff. Tried a lot of things to stop it. Anyone have any great ideas?? Sleeve won't be any better, trying to figure something out. Maybe just weekly massages.....would that be enough??

Thanks Susan

• lago
    edited June 2015

susan discuss this with your therapist. There are a number of things you can do. I know my oncologist doesn't believe in sleeves (Granted my LE MD does and I wear mine daily.). Your PE will probably recommend drinking fluids (without caffeine or salt). exercise (like walking to keep the fluids moving) and probably some other exercises and maybe has some idea for you. You will have to be extra dilligent not to abuse your arm or be in humid climate if you don't wear a sleeve.

• susan3
    edited June 2015

thanks Lago. Therapist is clueless...lol. I sent a message to my lymphadima doc. Waiting to hear back. I am hoping massaging will keep it at bay. It wasn't to far out of range...already shrunk down to get off wrap and fitted for sleeve....but I think I will have the same problems. Maybe it won't swell up again . Never had a problem in 14 years...hoping it was a fluke. Hubby had back surgery, so I did more than usual. Back in routine now, so maybe it will be ok. Who knows. Thanks for getting back so quickly:

• lago
    edited June 2015

Maybe time to find another therapist?

• susan3
    edited June 2015

yeah. Only saw her 3 times so far. We seemed to get it under control fast. She was the closet. We will now travel a bit. LE doc reomends someone too. I wrapped today without the white gauzy stuff. Maybe that is irritating to me. Trying to figure out on this end. Tha

• floaton
    floaton Member Posts: 53
    edited June 2015

Susan, did your therapist use a gray stockinette? I can't use that one since it has silver particles in it that are supposed to be too small to feel but they drive my arm nuts and I get super itchy. I have really sensitive skin too and use lymphoderm lotion under my wraps. For me, it helps calm my skin down and I notice when I forget it.

• crystalphm
    crystalphm Member Posts: 277
    edited June 2015

Susan, I also had horrible itching, hives, welts and more itching with the wraps. We tried everything, even trying cortisone cream under the wraps, and I itched every time. !00% cotton materials used next to my skin. it was awful, in fact I kept thinking it was making my LE worse.

Then I got my custom sleeve and gauntlet and no itching! I have no idea why. Now I mostly can only wear it 10 hours and when I pull it off it itches a bit, but no itching while wearing it.

I don't ever want to be wrapped again!  

• sandcastle
    edited June 2015

wow! 10 hours that is a long time....I, never make that long......just about 7 hours and then ENOUGH!! Just cannot take it.....Liz

• lago
    edited June 2015

I put my sleeve on first thing in the morning. Take it off when I shower then back on again till 7pm. My arm actually feels better with it on.

• susan3
    edited June 2015

yeah, just got my sleeve and much better. Wrap was bad for me. Thanks for all your help

• crystalphm
    crystalphm Member Posts: 277
    edited June 2015

Great to hear Susan. Something about the wrapping process or the materials must cause itching, although my LE therapist said she never saw a reaction as severe as mine.

So much is still not known about all of this, so it is so great we can share here.

• susan3
    edited June 2015

spoke to soon. Everything tight gives me hives. Arm did go down though, and I will try to keep it that way with massages

• MLmom
    MLmom Member Posts: 35
    edited July 2015

Ladies, I am looking for recommendations on brands for custom night arm sleeve with glove and daytime glove (full fingers). I have spent so much money on off the shelf gloves, they all make the back of my hand worst. Gauntlets make my fingers swell as well. Any tips for those with similar "back of hand swelling?" Otherwise well controlled and very mild everywhere else, doing massage, breathing exercises...

• lago
    edited July 2015

MLmom I don't have custom garments or even need a glove anymore but my LE MD told me that he has never been able to prescribe an of the shelf glove for anyone. when I did wear the glove he was surprised how well it fit but still wasn't right because I have long fingers. Lucky me I never did swell in my hand.

I think the trick it to find a good fitter.

• MLmom
    MLmom Member Posts: 35
    edited July 2015

Hi Denise620, have you solved your issue? seems like I am dealing with the same problem, would love to know what you found...

• kareenie
    kareenie Member Posts: 97
    edited July 2015

ML I have back of hand swelling. My best daytime strategy is kinesio tape under custom one piece Jobst glove and sleeve combined. Night garment is Jovi Pak with individual fingers stitched and extra padding on dorsum and palm of hand.

• sandcastle
    edited July 2015

Kareenie.....DO YOU...make it all night with your compression???  I, find it so very hard.....Last night I slept with out it and DAMN!! I got a good nights sleep....Liz

• minustwo
    edited July 2015

ML - I love my Jobst custom sleeves & gloves. Note - the PT took about 15 measurements for each arm and she ordered them. Lago's right. The trick is to find a good fitter.