Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage III Cancer Survivors ...Five + Years and Out.

Comments

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,606
    edited June 2014

Maggs09.....I basically eat the same as before my Dx 8 years ago....I've always eaten a basically healthy diet.  I believe that there are no bad foods if eaten in moderation...so deli every once in a while is not bad.  I eat red mead 2- 3 times/month....Chicken once/week.  Fish 1-2 times/week.I don't drink milk but I do eat cheese and yogurt.  I eat tofu 2 -3 times/month....Eat fruit and veggies, and carbs too.  And I enjoy my red wine.  I don't drink soda.  I walk every day at least 75 minutes (2 to 3 walks/day).   My weight is good.  Sooooo I guess what I'm saying is, without any health concerns that prevent someone from eating a good (like Celiac or diabetes etc), I think most foods in moderation are okay....Just my 2 cents!!!

Karen

• Delvzy
    Delvzy Member Posts: 454
    edited June 2014

can someone tell me if Lob cancer is more aggressive than IDC or just different . It seems there are a lot of lob cancer survivors doing really well with NED I had both

• StefS
    StefS Member Posts: 17
    edited June 2014

A big congrats Lisa!!

• tzane2
    tzane2 Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2014

8 years ago this month I completed treatment.  I've never felt better in my life or been in better shape!

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited July 2014

tzane2 - CONGRATULATIONS and thanks for the encouragement!!

• karen1956
    edited July 2014

tzane2...I finished chemo on July 6th 2006!!!  It is a milestone....8 years seems so long ago!!!  Wishing you continued good health!!!

• Bec65
    Bec65 Member Posts: 84
    edited July 2014

tzane2, congratulations and thank you for checking in with us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,560
    edited July 2014

We love popping into this thread for some true inspiration! Congrats to all of you for achieving such amazing milestones!!!

Fondly,

--Your Mods

• taniae
    taniae Member Posts: 60
    edited July 2014

Thank you ladies for sharing all your inspirational stories. It gives so much hope to some of us newbies.

• luv_gardening
    luv_gardening Member Posts: 362
    edited August 2014

I reached my 5 year cancer free anniversary, 5 years after my BMX, last week.  Unfortunately I was still reeling from the shock that my first husband who I divorced amicably and hadn't seen or contacted for over 30 years had died from lung cancer a week earlier at age 61.  He had been a big smoker and his lifestyle, which was perfectly fine for him, didn't suit me on many levels. In a way it highlights even more how lucky I am to be alive and well.

My odds were something like 70-75% likely to not survive the 5 years according to Adjuvant!, plus I dropped out of chemo so was not in everyone's good books for that.  I guess my odds are improved now but I don't worry about it.  I really believe one of the new drugs that are being developed to alert the immune system to recognise cancer and attack it will be ready if I ever need more treatment.

• karen1956
    edited August 2014

Joy...congrats on 5 years!!!  my stats are similar to yours and I'm 8+ years out since Dx.   Here's to many more years of celebrating life cancer free.

sorry about your ex...its hard news to hear.   

Take care.  Karen

• Bec65
    edited August 2014

Joy, congratulations on 5 years! Thank you for sharing and inspiring!

• maggs09
    maggs09 Member Posts: 74
    edited August 2014

thank you to all of you for sharing and giving hope!

Joy, what drugs are you referring to?  I always like keeping updated, however since I went back to work full time, I feel like I'm very behind on newest research

• peacestrength
    peacestrength Member Posts: 236
    edited August 2014

Joy - I so appreciate your post.  Congrats:)

• luv_gardening
    edited August 2014

Maggs, the drugs are mostly still being trialled. One of the earlier ones, Anti-CD47 had some spectacular results with melanoma though I haven't kept up with the details. They are trying the drugs on the more difficult to treat cancers first, lung, pancreatic, eosophageal etc. If they come on the market they will be named. Here's an article about these new families of drugs.

New therapies raise hope for a breakthrough in tackling cancer

• taniae
    edited August 2014

Thanks for the article Joy and congrats on 5 years. Sorry to hear about your ex husband. Congrats to you too Karen, it's great to hear of survivors doing so well after so many years.

• maggs09
    maggs09 Member Posts: 74
    edited August 2014

Joy, thank you so much for the info. Now, when you mentioned melanoma... my friend's husband was dx with it the same time I was with bc. However, his cancer progressed very quickly into stage 4 with many new lumps in lungs and some other areas. Even with a couple of extensive surgeries to remove the affected areas and 2/3 of his lung, new lumps were forming, until he got into some experimental targeted therapy (apparently to alter some genes), which has been working wonders for him! All lumps are gone with the exception of one which was the largest and now is down to 4mm and still shrinking! 

I know that this is not bc story, but it feels good to know that there are new discoveries in treatment for cancer that actually work even for very advanced and aggressive disease.

• StefS
    StefS Member Posts: 17
    edited August 2014

Tonight I will be popping open some champagne. Today marks my 10-year anniversary of my last rads treatment! And next Wednesday will be my 11th anniversary of finding out I had cancer. This is the first time I will actually "celebrate" a cancerversary. There is hope! :)

• peacestrength
    peacestrength Member Posts: 236
    edited August 2014

StefS - You are incredible!   Thanks for your post :)

• tessy
    tessy Member Posts: 38
    edited August 2014

StefS that is wonderful!  Gives us other node positive gals some hope! 

• luv_gardening
    edited August 2014

Woo Hoo StefS, that's brilliant.

• Holeinone
    Holeinone Member Posts: 1,418
    edited August 2014

StefS..........:), always nice to hear.....congrats 

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    edited August 2014

Posting for Minh in 1995 she had cancer in both breasts her youngest daughter was 6 months old at the time. I saw her at work 1 month ago. She went through every treatment different chemo multiple radiation double mastectomy and DIEP. Her cancer 8 on Nottingham scale and had many positive nodes. She start recently taking anastrozole and she said it is the worst with aches. Anyway she told me she is still cancer free and the DIEP still continues to feel better. I can't tell you how inspired I was catching up with her. I think after almost 19 years she is cured. She was stage iiic grade 3.

• karen1956
    edited August 2014

StepS....congrats on 11 years!!!

Congrats to Ninh on 19 years......

Great milestones for both gals!!!

• Bec65
    edited August 2014

StefS, congratulations and thank you for sharing!

Congrats to Minh!

• SharonMH
    SharonMH Member Posts: 46
    edited August 2014

Hi, I don't  post much but  I thought I would stop by and say I just hit my 5 years today. I am doing well. Spending the day hiking in Mammoth Lakes with family.  SharonMH

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited August 2014

All of you who post your successes, celebrating life after diagnosis...StephS, SharonMH, Minh...THANK YOU.  These stories of hope are cherished by those of us who are in treatment or just finished.  There is hope and a return to (new) normal after a Stage III diagnosis. 

When I was first diagnosed and scared silly, I read so many posts that said, "it gets better, you'll get past this."  I wasn't sure I believed them, but here I am, dealing with it and getting on with life.  Sharing your stories of hope was a big part of that.

• taniae
    edited August 2014

Congratulations SharonMH on your 5 year milestone and thanks for checking back in.  Congrats to StefS and Minh also. I love hearing these wonderful success stories. Sbelizabeth I totally agree with you, these ladies coming back and sharing their stories have helped me get through a dark time also. 

• karen1956
    edited August 2014

SharonMH...congrats on 5 years...wishing you many more 5 year celebrations :)

• taniae
    edited August 2014

congrats to you too Karen, I see your a long termer also. I'm glad you ladies keep coming back for us.