Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage III Cancer Survivors ...Five + Years and Out.

Comments

• amanda6
    amanda6 Member Posts: 50
    edited March 2017

Hi there, I'm 7 years out & happy for no recurrence or scares. However I am scheduled for open heart surgery in 2 weeks to repair my mitral valve. The surgeon said it was very likely damaged by radiation( left side). Any other ladies out there with heart problems from their treatments?

• Crazywabbit
    Crazywabbit Member Posts: 54
    edited March 2017

I had radiation to the left breast and it included the substernal LNs so I was supine (on my back) for it. At a recent visit to my primary doc he heard a new aortic murmur. No echo done yet so I do not know if it is sclerosis (thickening) or stenosis (narrowing), starting. I do have a FH of aortic stenosis with my dad having his valve replaced at age 84. We are just following it for now.

Best wishes for your surgery

• lucca06
    lucca06 Member Posts: 17
    edited March 2017

6 years today for me!! It's been a roller coaster but I honestly thought this was an impossible dream that awful day back in 2011. This site and survival stories were the thing that kept me sane!

• Lilaa
    Lilaa Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2017

It feels so good hearing all your stories. wish you and everyone many many more healthy years.

@Bejuce. Which Kind of treatment did you get? Did you get antihormonell treatment and if yes, then for how long?

• el_tigre
    el_tigre Member Posts: 453
    edited March 2017

Thank you ladies for posting your anniversaries it fill all of us with hope and determination to thrive!

• Sue2690
    Sue2690 Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2017

I've been waiting so long to be able to post on this thread! I'm now just past my 5 year mark, and life is so good I didn't even notice the anniversary until it was past.

My dx was nasty and aggressive, and not seen on mammogram. Tumour "too big for surgery" according to surgeon, so did neo-adjuvant chemo with great results.

I expect to be back in 5 years to post on the "10 year survivor" thread!

You are all in my thoughts.

• traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 1,055
    edited April 2017

Congratulations Sue. Looking forward to you posting 10, 15 and 20-year survival anniversaries.

• nancyd
    nancyd Member Posts: 557
    edited April 2017

Congrats Sue2690. It's always great to have another 5 year+ survivor here.

• Bravenurse13
    Bravenurse13 Member Posts: 21
    edited April 2017

Thank you for such inspiration and positivity. 

Six months ago my breast surgeon told me that my diagnosis was not a death sentence.

My oncologist said I had a better prognosis than most,

Now after having positive results from all treatments so far,

I am a believer, I no longer take anything for granted anymore,

and I feel more alive, and people do respond to it.

I still have radiation 33 treatments to get through,

then an implant exchange in the near future.

I am anxious to hear more success stories,

I wish I found this thread 6 months ago!

• ash123
    ash123 Member Posts: 44
    edited April 2017

Thank you ladies for coming back and sharing your success stories for us. This act of kindness is well appreciated.

• tectonicshift
    tectonicshift Member Posts: 102
    edited April 2017

My response may read as snarky, but it isn't - not when I say it. I'm dead serious. I say: We're all dying, even you, even me. Life is a big question mark. And cancer is a REALLY big question mark. If I want to get into particulars with certain people I will. It depends on my mood and on the person I'm speaking with.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited April 2017

Hey, TectonicShift, dear friend, I'm thinking your post landed on this thread by accident. Just guessing, but it looks like it was meant for the "Looking for a good retort/response" thread.

• traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 1,055
    edited April 2017

Good comment TechS. The thread can be found HERE.

• orlandpark65
    orlandpark65 Member Posts: 22
    edited April 2017

Hello: I am a 6 year survivor. I'm just so blessed to be here today. I was DX on 1-11-11, Stage 3b, 15 pos nodes, er/pr+ Her2 neg and found it in the other breast when I had a reduction. It was just starting. Had chemo/radiation/reconstruction. In the beginning I use to cry that I would never have peace in my life again. Well you will. I wish I had a place like this to refer to. It's so important to see how us Stage 3 girls can go on a live an awesome life. God Bless!

• tectonicshift
    tectonicshift Member Posts: 102
    edited April 2017

Oh, yeah. Wrong thread. How did that happen? LOL

• ash123
    edited April 2017

Thank you for posting orlandpark6. This keeps us going and hoping good things come in our way. Many more years for your posts..

• pip57
    pip57 Member Posts: 7,080
    edited May 2017

I can now officially post that I am a 10 year survivor. I have far outlived my prognosis. I always set goals to experience such as next Olympics, marriage of child, grandchildren, etc. I just reached my most recent goal...turning 60.

I'm getting greedy now. I want more. I now talk about the future thinking that I may actually be here to see it. It has been a long journey of uncertainty and worry that never really completely leaves me. That is the reality of a cancer diagnosis, one of the many side effects that we live with.

Next goal is too see a second grandchild.

• maggs09
    maggs09 Member Posts: 74
    edited May 2017

This thread means so much to me, it gave me hope when I hardly had any.

May 14th marks 5 years from my stage 3C dx, 2 weeks later - pulmonary embolism, and, as if it wasn't enough- mid June I was diagnosed with stage 2a colon cancer. My chances were very slim...I will never forget how scared I was... I stil am, but at the same time I am living my life, working, traveling and enjoying every moment with my family. I pray and hope for many more years to come for all of us here.

• live_deliciously
    live_deliciously Member Posts: 183
    edited May 2017

mags. way cool. We are glad you are still here. And your posting means everything to all of us too. Congrats

• JSavage25
    JSavage25 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2017

Thank you for giving hope- when I need it. Stage #C 16/27 lymph nodes IDC. I am so depressed....finished treatment and see horrible news all the time.....

• ash123
    edited May 2017

Thank you Maggs, keep coming and posting.

• Michele56
    Michele56 Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2017

SharonMH, not many ILC survivors on here. What treatments did you do? Are you currently on AI's? Just diagnosed myself. I had lumpectomy followed by mastectomy/node dissection. Several nodes positive. Currently on AI's. possibly chemo next on agenda. I see a long road ahead. Glad you are well!

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    edited May 2017

I am ILC survivor of five years now

• SharonMH
    SharonMH Member Posts: 46
    edited May 2017

Hi Michele56, I had a mastectomy, then chemo, AC and TCH. and radiation. I am now on femara, my ONC wants me to take it for at least 10 years instead of 5. I am going on 8 years in August. Still doing well. Hi Lily55. SharonMH.

• jenni__ca
    jenni__ca Member Posts: 77
    edited May 2017

next week will be 13 years for me .....

• ash123
    edited May 2017

What a great news Jenni_ca! Keep coming and posting for us who need hope and promise.

• Michele56
    edited May 2017

Hello Lily55, Jenni ca, and ash123. I'm glad I discovered this sight. I've been so worried but I see hope on these posts. I was misdiagnosed as having IDC until I had lumpectomy. Nothing ever showed up on anything...mammogram, ultrasound. Getting a second opinion soon at MD Anderson as my ILC cancer is not one seen around here often. Want to be sure Docs are doing the right thing as they have been confused from day one. Had port this past week and also echo and PET. I believe it's going to be a long road but will be ok in the end. The power of prayer.

• deemendoza
    deemendoza Member Posts: 24
    edited May 2017

Hello girls,

New to the forum not new to the site. I was dx in 2008/2009 stage 1 I had a mastectomy and tamoxifen for 5 years...

Sept 2016 I felt a lump my arm, within days i had an ultra- sound and a biopsy. Tested positive for cancer. I did 8 rounds of chemo, had surgery in May 9th due to having hyperthyroidism ( 1st ever must of been the chemo) 38 lymph nodes removed and 35 tested positive for cancer. Recurrence doesn't get stage but was told that if this had been my 1st time. I would be a stage 3... I'm so scared ladies, everything i feel wrong I think the cancer has spread.

I'm Estrogen+ Her2- I did 8 rounds of chemo 4 A/C and 4 taxol

• Michele56
    edited May 2017

Dee, I hope someone will have something to add to your post. I'm brand new to this and have no experience/knowledge about this type of thing. I know about being afraid though. But medicine is amazing these days. I wish you the best.

• motherofmany
    motherofmany Member Posts: 38
    edited May 2017

Dee,

I believe in the power of prayer and will pray for you tonight.🙏🏼 God can do all things.