Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage III Cancer Survivors ...Five + Years and Out.

Comments

• tangandchris
    tangandchris Member Posts: 934
    edited October 2016

Tomorrow is 3 years for me.....3 years ago I was 39 and stage 3. Ironically tomorrow I have my 4 month check with MO. I'm still figuring out how to navigate my life post cancer, but overall it gets easier everyday to accept and live my life in spite of what cancer did to my life. My baby girl was 4 when I was dx'd, today she is 7....need I say more? ❤💙💜

• ssinuk
    ssinuk Member Posts: 63
    edited October 2016

congrats tangandchris - my daughter's the same age but I am only 2 yrs out - or rather, not out yet. I will look to you as my 12 month ahead hope. Thanks for posting

• LindaKR
    LindaKR Member Posts: 1,304
    edited November 2016

fightergirl711....I was triple positive, stage 3a, I'm 6 1/2+ years out from diagnosis, and still NED.

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited November 2016

Congratulations, Linda!

• fightergirl711
    fightergirl711 Member Posts: 190
    edited November 2016

Thanks LindaKR! So wonderful to hear, truly. I see on your bio you are still receiving Herceptin? Or is that just outdated?

• lululani
    lululani Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2016

Here is more hope. Stage 3a TNBC out 6+ years!

• Janetanned
    Janetanned Member Posts: 118
    edited November 2016

Lululani - That is indeed good news! Congratulations! On this dark dreary morning, with my joints aching and a long day at work ahead of me, I need to hear that there is hope and reason to continue taking AIs.

• Valstim52
    Valstim52 Member Posts: 833
    edited November 2016

So good to hear Lululani. Thanks for posting.

• Texas357
    Texas357 Member Posts: 332
    edited November 2016

September 2016 was 8 years since my diagnosis. Despite some PTSD and frustration over the permanent side effects from the chemo, I'm pleased to say overall, life is pretty darned terrific. After my diagnosis, I learned to live in the moment and not to take anything for granted. I'm less quick to anger and I find it easier to keep things in perspective. In those ways, everything that I endured after BC was a blessing.

My medical oncologist recommended 10 years on Femara but I had to stop after 7 years because I had developed osteoporosis (an unfortunate side effect of Femara). The Prolia shot for osteoporosis led to an ulcer. And the gastroenterologist wanted to prescribe a Nexium-like drug which (wait for it) may contribute to osteoporosis! So now it's a merry-go-round of side effects.

But I'm alive. I'm working full time, volunteering 20+ hours a week, and living my life. Gratitude is important to me. And I'm grateful this forum exists because back in 2008, I needed others to pull and push me to the finish line.

• live_deliciously
    live_deliciously Member Posts: 183
    edited November 2016

well said texas. Glad you are here to Inspire us.

• Redporchlady
    Redporchlady Member Posts: 15
    edited November 2016

So glad to see these posts!  Love it. 

• LindaKR
    LindaKR Member Posts: 1,304
    edited November 2016

i don't get herceptin anymore, only had the year. I guess I should update my profile

• lauren32
    lauren32 Member Posts: 9
    edited November 2016

Lilulani and Texas wow thank you for inspiring me tonight with your incredible stories of years of survivorship ! Absolutely marvelous to read of how well you have both done. Thank you for sharing, helps us so much to believe that maybe it can be us one day

• Chemokaze
    Chemokaze Member Posts: 177
    edited November 2016

Ladies,

Thank you all for your inspiring stories. You all give me hope.

I finished 6 cycles of Cytoxan and Taxotere in September. Just before my surgery in October my PEM scan report said complete metabolic response and nothing was seen on ultrasound except for metal clips from core biopsies in the breast and lymph node. But then the reality was in the final pathology from surgery which revealed the cancer more extensive than originally thought. We are all perplexed. Surgery was successful and 3 weeks later I had an essentially negative PET scan. I've been on Arimidex for about a month and so far so good. Radiation will start soon and repeat scans in December.

You know how it goes, good days and some scary/dark nights...but your stories really help me. I keep telling myself that anything can happen to any of us at anytime, so live life, and try not to worry about the unknowns.

Anyway, cheers to all of us!

• overjoyed4life
    overjoyed4life Member Posts: 92
    edited November 2016

Celebrated my 5 years, April, 2016. It can be done. Doing well, Living life. Mind over matter. Positive thoughts only, no negativity allowed. Stay focused on your journey and you will be fine. I know its hard right now for the newly diagnosed but time will pass and this time in your life will become a distant memory. Prayers up.

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited November 2016

Congrats, Sharon! Glad to hear you're doing so well. I'm working on the positive thinking.

• live_deliciously
    edited November 2016

thank you overjoyed for posting and Congratulations. it's been 2 years for me and honestly I don't know where the time went. grateful for every moment and when I get all prissy about something I try to remind myself how short life is and to get over it ......hugs.

• Momof2inME
    Momof2inME Member Posts: 249
    edited December 2016

I just passed the 5 year mark. Stage 3, triple positive.

My kids were 15 months and just turned 4 years old when I was diagnosed at age 37.

I am now 42 and the kiddos are now 6 and 9.

I cried everyday for a long, long time but it gets better. For me, it just took a lot of patience and time. :)

Its a lifetime marathon, but it can be WON!

• live_deliciously
    edited December 2016

mom of 2. So happy for you and the family. Well done!

• JustKeepSwimming44
    JustKeepSwimming44 Member Posts: 15
    edited December 2016

Wonderful to hear Momof2! Congratulations and thanks for sharing the hope.

• ladyb1234
    ladyb1234 Member Posts: 1,239
    edited December 2016

congrats all! Thanks for sharing

• Valstim52
    edited December 2016

congrats momof2 and everyone else.

• fightergirl711
    fightergirl711 Member Posts: 190
    edited December 2016

Momof2inME SO HAPPY TO HEAR! I was initially diagnosed last November, and told Stage III one year ago next week. That night I went to my son's Christmas concert, and cried the whole time. I am dreading I am going to get emotional all over again. Not sure if I feel joy or the traumatic stress of the milestone. But seeing the stories here always provide comfort and hope. So thank you!!

• cherylking2005
    cherylking2005 Member Posts: 48
    edited December 2016

I was diagnosed Stage IIIB in September 2009 and after infusion chemo, radiation and 5-1/2 years of aromasin, I am now Stafe IV matasticized to lung and bone as of July 2016. All I can say is if you are ER+ stay on the AIs for as long as possible and get a scan every year or two so you can catch it as early as possible if the big C decides once is not enough. I wish you peace and try not to worry too much but be cognizant that you must always be diligent.

• Crazywabbit
    Crazywabbit Member Posts: 54
    edited December 2016

cherryking2 - so sorry to hear of your progression. Were you off the AIs for a period of time before this?

I just passed the 3 year mark (2.5 on the AI) and plan on staying on my AIs for 10 years minimum. My onc does not believe in scans unless symptoms or liver profile abn. I did convience him to follow the 15:3 marker every 6 months

• stephilosphy00
    stephilosphy00 Member Posts: 161
    edited December 2016

BUMP!

• ckhnkh
    ckhnkh Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2016

Thanks to everyone who posts to this thread. In May, 2016, I was diagnosed with Stage 3A invasive lobular - grade 1 - low oncotype score of 5 but tumor was 7 cm and 1 positive node. Maestectomy, chemo, radiation - finished in November, 2016 - yay!!

Still fearful and was looking for encouragement from other stage 3 survivors! So this thread is perfect!

I have learned to never assume to a newly diagnosed bc patient, that they "caught it early". I don't even know how to respond to those comments so I pretty much ignore thfm

• ckhnkh
    edited December 2016

Thank you so much for the encouragement! Just starting post treatment phase - diagnosed May 2016 - 47 yo / 3A / GR 1 / 7 cm / Oncotype 5. It is SUCH a great Christmas gift to be encouraged

• ckhnkh
    edited December 2016

Thank you so much for the encouragement! Just starting post treatment phase - diagnosed May 2016 - 47 yo / 3A / GR 1 / 7 cm / Oncotype 5. It is SUCH a great Christmas gift to be encouraged

• Valstim52
      edited December 2016

Ckhnkh I've reached a year since dx, and this is such an encouragment to see others.