Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage III Cancer Survivors ...Five + Years and Out.

Options

Comments

• hmh23
    hmh23 Member Posts: 49
    edited March 2013
    Options

Nancy;  Just wanted you to know how very much I appreciated your post.  You're an inspiration for all of us following behind you.  Heather

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,506
    edited March 2013
    Options

(((((((((((((((TammyLynn))))))))))))))))

I'm in Denver....it does get easier...keep us posted....

• Tammylynn
    Tammylynn Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2013
    Options

Thank you Karen! I saw my oncologist Tuesday. She has me scheduled for scans we'd the 13th. I'm so nervous about it. I praying it hasn't spread. I am scheduled to start chemo on the 18th. She says I will do it four times a week for two weeks. Then I get a week off. Then two more weeks with 4 times a week and then 12 weeks of once a week. So for now I'm just praying for clean scans. I am seriously a nervous wreck!

• Madicyn
    Madicyn Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2013
    Options

Thanks to all who have taken the time to post.  I'm two years out and really like to read words of hope and survival!

• lionessdoe
    lionessdoe Member Posts: 45
    edited March 2013
    Options

Today is my five years out from stage 3A breast cancer! This truly is a milestone I never thought I'd reach having to walk away from 18 scheduled infusions after only three due to Transient Ischemic Attacks. My doctor agreed another infusion would have brought on a full blown stroke! In the last five years, every time I crunched those numbers, I was sure my next mammo would be a bad one. But I am here and cancer free!!!!!

• sherry67
    sherry67 Member Posts: 370
    edited March 2013
    Options

Lionessdoe,

Big congrats to you on making 5 years...

• lovujja
    lovujja Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2013
    Options

Nancy101020…, and all long term survivars,

Thank you very much for coming back and posting your inspiring story.

To all long term survivars, please, please keep posting your inspiring stories in this blog. Your stories are stronge and inspiring for our healing than any pills that so far we can get in the market.

• hopefour
    hopefour Member Posts: 104
    edited March 2013
    Options

I am so excited to share.... as I have been sad with the losing of pages and pages of survivor stories for our newbies ( and our not so newbies who go through waves of fear) and need stories of hope!

OK...first I asked each lady if I could share their stories with you all...each said YES! Next I can say I saw each these ladies and they for sure are still breathing, living and thriving!!

Katie was a mom of one of my son's classmates in school 9 years ago. I remember bringing a meal to her and driving her once to a school program because she was so weak from chemo. They soon left the Christian school both our kids went to and I lost touch with her. When I was DX I wondered how she was doing, but lost all contacts with her so didn't know! Well, I saw her last week at a store and nearly tackled her. She was WONDERFUL to talk to...she is still breathing and very much alive!!! They left the school because she knew she was going to die and wanted to get her daughter in a school that would be easier for her husband to drop off at on the way to work...she didn't die and her daughter is now a senior!! Katie was a stage III with a "huge" tumor and two positive nodes, very aggressive cancer, ER+ PR+ Her2-. She truly never thought she'd still be here 9 years and 4months later. She said she doesn't live in the fear anymore! It truly was a gift for me to talk to her and hear her express so many of the emotions I and many of you have...yet now they are in her past!!

Had a meeting set up today by a friend that knew of a woman who will be 10 years out this July. Her name is Pat and she was so willing to share...talked for two hours! She had 9 positive nodes with a "not to large a tumor" that was ER+PR+ Her2-. She too didn't think she'd be here and last summer she figured she was here to stay and had reconstrution. She did change her life style after going through all her treatments. She is in the medical field and very well educated which was interesting to listen to. She stopped her hormone blocker meds last Aug ( at about 9 years) because she was so tired of how she felt on them...she feels great now! 

So excited to share these two stories with you all...always HOPE!!!

• fondak
    fondak Member Posts: 271
    edited March 2013
    Options

Hopefour,

Thank you considering us when meeting with those ladies by asking if you could share their stories and then taking the time to share that with us.  It was very encouraging.

• Shari0707
    Shari0707 Member Posts: 260
    edited March 2013
    Options

Loved those stories thanks

• Tammylynn
    edited March 2013
    Options

Karen... My scans came back with bone mets to my rib, a small spot on my hip, small spot on my spine, lymph nodes in the chest and a few spots in my lungs. I am officially stage 4. I did my first round of chemo Friday, so far I'm just a little tired and of course, scared!

• Shari0707
    edited March 2013
    Options

Oh tammylynn so sorry to hear.. Were these ur first scans since diagnosis? My thoughts are with you... U have a lot of arsenal to work with

• Tammylynn
    edited March 2013
    Options

Shari, they were my first scans, I was just diagnosed I'm feb 2013. I went from stage 2' to 3 to 4 in a matter of weeks.

• Shari0707
    edited March 2013
    Options

I am so sorry... My heart is within... I did chemo first.. Still don't know my true stage just what doc told me....

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited March 2013
    Options

Tammy, I am so sorry to hear that. Good thoughts going your way.

• Bugs
    Bugs Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2013
    Options

Tammy, I'm so sorry for the dx of mets.  Arm yourself with knowledge..the stage 4 forum has a fabulous wealth of knowledge (and some pretty awesome ladies) about bone mets.  

• Bugs
    Bugs Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2013
    Options

hopefour, awesome stories ..thank you for sharing them!  Lionessdoe...congrats on the 5 years....celebrate the milestone!

• Lomesh
    Lomesh Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2013
    Options

My wife diagnosed in feb13

Tomorrow 2nd chemo FEC

Feeling anxious!

• Lomesh
    Lomesh Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2013
    Options

My wife diagnosed in feb 2013

Tomorrow 2nd chemo FEC

Feeling anxious!

• alichom6413
    alichom6413 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    Options

I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Invasive Lobular Breast cancer with lymph node involvement right after Christmas 2012.  I am on Chemo #5 with 3 more to go before having surgery.  The surgeon said I will have approx 2 weeks before the end of chemo before the surgery.  I was concerned about being in a debilitated condition from the chemo and then entering into surgery.  Hopefully in those 2 weeks I can eat really well and get my immune system and blood counts back up to normal. After surgery, they will do about 6 weeks of radiation.  I don't imagine it is wise to have reconstruction surgery at the same time as the mastectomy since the radiation is so rough on the skin.  Any thoughts?

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 955
    edited March 2013
    Options

Hi, Alichom.  I finished my six TAC chemo treatments on March 28 2012 and had my UMX three weeks later.  I had no problems with recovery.  Because I had some dermal lymphatic involvement in the skin of my breast and also knew I'd be having rads, my team wanted me to wait for reconstruction.  

I'm almost a year past the UMX and doing fine.  My DIEP reconstruction is scheduled for April 15.

I know the road is long and tough, but hang in there. Blessings and good luck!  

• maryannecb
    maryannecb Member Posts: 74
    edited March 2013
    Options

Tammy , sorry to hear that your cancer is more advanced than hoped. Gather your team and find the best way forward.

Alice I waited 3 years to reconstruct as didnt want any issues during active treatment. 

• Tammylynn
    edited March 2013
    Options

Thank you Maryann, I was devastated. I go for round 2 of chemo this Friday, after 4 rounds we will do another pet scan and go from there. I pray it's working! Right now that's all I can do.

Alice, I am also not doing reconstruction right now. I feel like I have so much going on that I just don't want to deal with anything else while I'm going thru treatment.

• kar123
    kar123 Member Posts: 72
    edited March 2013
    Options

Tammylynn,

So sorry to hear about your dx.  I just wanted to let you know that I can relate to being diagnosed with bc and having a child with T1D.  My daughter was diagnosed in Feb. 2010 and then me in June 2010.  Not a fun year.  Anyway, not sure if it means much, but if you need to talk feel free to pm me.

Kelli

• Tammylynn
    edited March 2013
    Options

Thank you Kelli! You sound like me, my little one was diagnosed in sept 2012 and I was diagnosed in feb 2013. I'm thankful that he's on the pump now because his levels rise when he is stressed. I'm trying to keep things as normal as possible around the house for him, sometimes it's so hard!

• fredntan
    fredntan Member Posts: 237
    edited March 2013
    Options

Another T1D mom here. My dd almost 17, dx in 2005. Pm me also.

• kar123
    kar123 Member Posts: 72
    edited March 2013
    Options

My DD also just transitioned to the pump!  We love it so far.  Had a few bad infusion sites that caused some giant highs, but other than that it is a godsend.  Ok, we have 3 t1d moms here.  I hope we didn't just find another risk factor...cripes!!!

Tammylynn, there have been so many giant strides in breast cancer research that you more than likely be taking care of a chronic disease just like our kids take care of their diabetes.  I met several stage IV ladies while going through chemo that had been maintaining their disease for many, many years.

• Tammylynn
    edited April 2013
    Options

Thanks ladies! Kar, that is exactly how I explained it to my little one. I told him it was something I would always have to monitor and take meds for. It seemed to put him at ease.

I just finished round 2 of chemo and I am just so tired! I have 2 more rounds to go before my next scan. I'm praying its working!

• Unknown
    edited April 2013
    Options

Hi Ladies. First, I am so sorry to hear of anyone's progression to stage IV. That really sucks! I don't know why some of us stage III ladies progress and others do not. All we can do is show that there IS hope. My HOPE is that one day soon ALL of us diagnosed stage III will be able to post a story on this thread.

I would like to make a respectful request. This thread was created for a specific purpose and it seems to be getting off track. It is not my intention to hurt any feelings during this difficult time. Would you consider starting a new thread to continue discussions that no longer focus on this threads purpose?

• JudyO
    JudyO Member Posts: 18
    edited May 2013
    Options

5 years this month. I am posting this for myself as much as for others. When I was dx I had crossed my fingers that I would make it to the day where I would write this...hurray it is here! I had ILC, 2.2 cm, grade 1, 7 out of 14 nodes positive, and ER+, PR-, HER-. I had my breast removed, radiation, dose dense AC, dose dense T, and have been on arimidex for almost 5 years. I am now crossing my fingers in hope that I will be able to write on this sight when I hit 10 years.