Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage III Cancer Survivors ...Five + Years and Out.

Options

Comments

• wintersocks
    wintersocks Member Posts: 434
    edited May 2013
    Options

Not starting my journey, but just 1yr post dx. Grateful, for all those who take time to post their stories to us, for whom it still feels very new.  (me!) 

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    edited May 2013
    Options

Snap, sorry not been able to phone yet, still want too, will explain when we speak but too much going on and too tired to hold a conversation that makes sense....

• wintersocks
    edited May 2013
    Options

Lily55,

No worries, I do know what you mean. I feel so tired too. Need to hear these good stories, so keep em coming!

• Unknown
    edited May 2013
    Options

Congratulations JudyO. I can't wait to read your story again in 10 years. :)

• StefS
    StefS Member Posts: 17
    edited May 2013
    Options

First,so sorry to see the original thread gone. I don't come by very often but would always post an update to offer encouragement to the newbies.

This August will mark my 10 year anniversary of being diagnosed with cancer. Mastectomy, TAC chemo & rads. Triple-neg with hitting the jackpot with all 21 nodes positive (and some matted together).

There is hope ladies. The journey isn't easy (physically or emotionally). I can say I'm on the other side and don't think about cancer often. In fact it was either last year or year before when it hit me a few days AFTER my anniversary that it even occurred to me! That was a great feeling.

• sherry67
    sherry67 Member Posts: 370
    edited May 2013
    Options

StefS,

That is wounderful to hear...Big congrats

• lovujja
    lovujja Member Posts: 31
    edited May 2013
    Options

Tiger_sm StefS

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Please keep coming. You are the one who can give us real hope. Wish you many many healthy and happy life ahead.

• Unknown
    edited May 2013
    Options

Congratulations StefS. :)

• jennyboog
    jennyboog Member Posts: 23
    edited May 2013
    Options

Thanks Stef....needed to hear this today....and congratulations, great news!

• Ronel_Viljoen
    Ronel_Viljoen Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    Options

It's been 11 years since being diagnosed with IDC stage IIIA ER+ HER2+ and after mastectomy, chemo and radiation I am still in remission. Stay positive and enjoy life! You are a survivor!

• Unknown
    edited May 2013
    Options

That is wonderful, Ronel. Congratulations!

• jennyboog
    jennyboog Member Posts: 23
    edited May 2013
    Options

Congrats Ronel and thanks for staying in touch with us.

• mpetago
    mpetago Member Posts: 54
    edited May 2013
    Options

Just had my 45th birthday this weekend, I was 35 at diagnosis in 2004 : ). My son was 8 at the time, he will be 18 in December. Never thought I'd make it this far and be on this side to post this, but here I am!

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    edited May 2013
    Options

Yeay congratulations

• Unknown
    edited May 2013
    Options

Doing the happy dance, Mpetago!

• sherry67
    edited May 2013
    Options

Yah ...Big Congrats...Mpetago

• lkc
    lkc Member Posts: 180
    edited May 2013
    Options

Stef , So GOOD to see you! Isn't life wonderful?!

• maryannecb
    maryannecb Member Posts: 74
    edited May 2013
    Options

Wonderful Mpetago! I also think often of how fortunate I am to be enjoying good health. And Hi lkc!

• mpetago
    mpetago Member Posts: 54
    edited May 2013
    Options

Thanks ladies : ). I am not on here often anymore, although I never forget what this place meant to me for so long, it was truly a lifeline for me. However, I make it a point to at least check in every birthday and will continue. I want you to know that there is a new normal on the other side of this, and there is always hope, even with a pretty rotten prognosis, such as mine!

• StefS
    StefS Member Posts: 17
    edited May 2013
    Options

Hi Linda. Good to see you too. Yes, life is wonderful!

• jenni__ca
    jenni__ca Member Posts: 77
    edited June 2013
    Options

this week is my 9th anniversary ....  dh and i are enjoying life and i only think about bc sometimes .... when i take my arimidex, put on my boobie, take off my boobie, see someone in a scarf - you know the usual Laughing ... hugs to all

• mamabee
    mamabee Member Posts: 148
    edited June 2013
    Options

Congratulations to all the wonderful women who've posted their stories here! I love this thread - so much hope and strength! 

• kimf
    kimf Member Posts: 14
    edited June 2013
    Options

Hi friends, just stopping in to say hello. I'm a month from the 8th anniversary of finishing chemo. Its seems surreal that so much time has passed but then it seems like a lifetime ago that I went through it. We are just living life and keeping busy raising kids. My kids were 9, 7 and 2. Now I have 17, 15 and 10 year olds. Life is really really good. I miss you my S3S sisters! So happy to see Stef that you celebrated your 10th!!! Congratulations! For all you newbies...you can do this! You will be here soon enough. 

Have a great summer! Enjoy every day :)

• wintersocks
    edited June 2013
    Options

Thanks for this. have had a very bad day today. non-stop thoughts of recurrence.  I wish was 5 years+....

These posts make me feel so much better.

WS

• sherry67
    edited June 2013
    Options

Great accomplishment..thanks for the reassurance...I to have many days when I fear reaccurance...this gives us some hope...

• hopefour
    hopefour Member Posts: 104
    edited June 2013
    Options

WOW..Stefs and Kimf...so thankful for the gift of your health these many years out..YEAH!! Thankful even more that you take the time to come back and cheer us on...thank you!!

• Delvzy
    Delvzy Member Posts: 454
    edited June 2013
    Options

Thank you to all those wonderful stage 3 girls who have taken the time to encourage the others . I have never understood why someone with a very smll cancer no node involvement gets mets and other stage 3 with many nodes is cancer free years later . I keep thinking it would be good to find out what the ladies are doing different it can't be just good or bad luck surely. Sometimes it does my head in.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited June 2013
    Options

Delvzy, I am more and more convinced that it is probably just luck of the draw - small differences in genes or metabolism or, or, or ... 

Some long-term survivors eat organic, vegetarian food and work out religiously. Others drink like fish and live on stouffer's.

• CherylinOhio
    CherylinOhio Member Posts: 149
    edited June 2013
    Options

I often wonder that myself. I see ladies who take their AI's sporadically and eat whatever they want and are NED and I see ladies who workout and eat right and cut out sugar and are not NED. It's luck of the draw which sucks!! I wish we did have some control, I mean I stopped smoking and drinking I try to eat healthy but I do like my candy and ice cream now and then.  Over time I have seen myself stop thiking about bc in the middle of the night and now I really dont' think about it at all. Why worry until it's time too, it's just wasted energy.( I know what you are thinking,the same thing I use dto think when people said that to me....)  Laughing

• lovujja
    lovujja Member Posts: 31
    edited June 2013
    Options

Congratulations to all the wonderful women who've posted their stories on this board. This board is my life line to be cancer free. I read your story and some time it makes me cry and other time make me laugh.

Your story have been very powerful to me and other women like me, please keep visiting and keep posting your stories. Thank you very much for being kind, giving us hope and strength.