Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ladies in their 30s?

Options

Comments

• kaayborg
    kaayborg Member Posts: 576
    edited January 2017
    Options

Teekee, welcome and so sorry that you received such a craptastic Christmas gift. What a string of bad news you've received in such a short time. Let it stop here as you find effective and long lasting treatment to keep living with cancer and loving your sweet kiddos. One breath at a time is a good mantra. Keep us posted on what's next for you and how you're feeling. The more we share, the stronger we all become, I really do believe.

• Casun19
    Casun19 Member Posts: 77
    edited January 2017
    Options

misty, good luck on Monday let us know how the first treatment goes. How are you feeling otherwise?

I am scheduled for my hyst/oophorectomy next week and hoping for easy recovery

• Apg
    Apg Member Posts: 112
    edited January 2017
    Options

Casun, I am feeling fine. If it wasn't for knowing I have bone mets I wouldn't think anything was wrong. I had my first xgeva yesterday. So far so good with that too.

I had my oophorectomy last Monday and it was an easy recovery. I had my tubes removed but not hysterectomy. I was out and about walking at the local zoo Christmas lights for a few hours the Friday after. I just had a feeling like strong menstral cramps. I hope you do well with your surgery also. Mine was laparoscopic so that made it easier.

I will post after the treatment Monday. I'm really hoping it is tolerable. I tell you it has delayed my treatment to start by almost a month. I keep having to have all this scans done again because they were out of the range for the trial. I was called today to have another bone scan. I just had a ct yesterday. I will have had 2 bone scans, 2 ct scans and an MRI since 11/22. I'm just ready to get it going!

• Casun19
    edited January 2017
    Options

oh my gosh that's a lot of scans! I am sure it will be worth it.

my surgery will be laparoscopic too. According to the Doctor it will be "very easy" should be home the same day.

I go in for my 2nd xgeva shot today and find out what the plan will be after surgery. So far it has been just tomoxifen / xgeva.

• teekee79
    teekee79 Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2017
    Options

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

I've just had my first 2 rounds of radiation yesterday and today. I'm actually a little excited to get some pain relief on my shoulder. I'll see my medical oncologist on Monday I think I'll probably find out when I get my port put in, maybe my chemo start date, and get my 1st xgeva shot.

I'm starting to realize that this cancer world is high speed and crazy. I'm not sure I can keep up. 😬.

• nrsteph
    nrsteph Member Posts: 108
    edited January 2017
    Options

hello ladies i was diagnosed de novo last april. Glad to see this thread.

• mdillard04
    mdillard04 Member Posts: 83
    edited January 2017
    Options

Welcome to all new friends to the thread!!

• rgc77
    rgc77 Member Posts: 45
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hello ladies, my name is Raewyn, I'm 39 and have two sons who are 17 and 13. While I'd rather not belong to this exclusive club, you all seem like the kind of people I'd like to meet at an exclusive club. Smile

Casun19 and Apg, I read your questions and ongoing conversation about hysterectomy / oophorectomy with interest. I had my bmx before having any other treatment. I was asked then if I wanted to have my ovaries out at the same time, but that was asking too much too quick. By the time I had gone through 4 1/2 months of chemo and had been through chemopause, I figured I'd get my ovaries out before my body started going back to normal. I asked to have a hysterectomy, too, but insurance wouldn't cover it, so I just had the ovaries out. It took me about a week to recover. It was 6 weeks after I had finished all my chemo, so that may have lengthened my healing time. When it was done, I mourned the loss of the choice to have another child. Right now I am the age my mother was when I was born. My siblings are 12 and 14 years older. My older son had been asking for a sister for years. I had to tell him that if he still wants a sister, he'll have to adopt one.

I'm not truly sorry that I had my ovaries removed (a decision probably influenced by my BRCA1+ status and the death of my mother's first cousin from ovarian cancer that had metastasized), but it does have a serious influence on my life--some good, some not so much. The good--I'm off the monthly emotional rollercoaster. My DH doesn't think I was ever very bad that way, but I tend to have a more regularly cheerful outlook on life now. The bad--it can be seriously hard on your sex life. So can chemo. Still, it has brought us back to our early days when we'd snuggle and just lie in bed and talk about everything under the sun. In a way, all this ages you way beyond your peers. I remember sitting and talking with a bunch of my old lady friends after church and we were all comparing notes. I suddenly realized the ridiculousness of my situation. I was 37 and not one of them was younger that 75. Still, they are the ones who send me beautiful, inspiring cards on my darkest days to keep me smiling.

I hadn't posted here before because writing expends emotional energy and I didn't have too much to spare. The dx hung over our heads at Thanksgiving and came right after. While it wasn't a shock (I could feel the tumor), I was still in shock. Not nearly so much as I was after I had a PET/CT scan on my older son's 17th birthday. Mets to right lung and all through my lymph nodes. So, my MO puts me on Xeloda and orders a brain MRI for right after Christmas. I'm glad it wasn't sooner. We had a beautiful, if subdued, Christmas at my sister's. My parents were visiting from Phoenix. It was a very special time. My 22-year-old niece is quite shaken up by all this. I think my 19-year-old niece is, also, though she lives far away and I don't get to see her since she went off to college. It's been 3 days since I got the results from the MRI. I've got three tumors and a couple of extra spots just for good measure. Add to that the fact that I'm dismantling my business that had been a labor of love for more than 10 years and you can understand why it was a rough start to the new year. Telling my mother was an experience I dreaded. I dread even more having to tell my brother. I'm his "baby" sister and he's in jail serving a 25 year sentence. I figured I'd be the one he'd come to when he got out. He's still got 14 years to go!!

On that cheerful note, my DH took me belated Christmas shopping on Thursday and bought me some new clothes. I celebrated by wearing them today. It's amazing how a classy looking outfit can cheer you up.

Sending you the sunshine of the heart to cheer you, even though it's dark and snowing outside my window.

• kaayborg
    edited January 2017
    Options

Rgc, I really loved reading your post and my heart goes out to you as you come to grips with this dx. Our initial dx is so very similar. I was 37 then, am 39 now. I'm BRCA -, however, so I've kept my ovaries, not that they do much for me...seriously hard on your sex life, nonetheless. This part of your writing especially resonates with me:

In a way, all this ages you way beyond your peers. I remember sitting and talking with a bunch of my old lady friends after church and we were all comparing notes. I suddenly realized the ridiculousness of my situation. I was 37 and not one of them was younger that 75. Still, they are the ones who send me beautiful, inspiring cards on my darkest days to keep me smiling.

All so true. Be well and post when you can. It's nice to have you here even if it's not nice you have to be.

• Casun19
    edited January 2017
    Options

Rgc thank you for your post. I am sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis, it is such an emotional drain.

I can relate in so many ways. But I liked the part about buying a new outfit :) sometimes it just puts a smile on your face

• Rhys
    Rhys Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hello. First post here (or anywhere on this subject). It has been so helpful to read all of your comments. I feel much more normal, thank you!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,021
    edited January 2017
    Options

Sending you hugs, Rhys, as well as all you other wonderful people! Medicating

• teekee79
    edited January 2017
    Options

So I had my appointment with my MO yesterday. I got my Xgeva shot, found out that today was my first chemo treatment, found out I get my Port put in on Thursday, and got another referral to social. It was a lot to take in.

So my first day of chemo ... Not much to say. Took my granisetron an hour befor, benedryl just befor. Got an IV with saline, steroids, antihistamines, then taxol. Watched Netflix, got some education about the taxol, and it's side effects. Texted my momma for a bit then went to rads for treatment #4. Now I'm a little nauseas but not bad.

I got a call from social today so hopefully they'll be able to help sort some financial and mental stuff out for me. I'll see them on Friday.

Between all the nurses visits, for bandage changes for my stupid incision that just won't heal, and all the actual doctors appointments, treatments, and blood work, It feels like I spend all my time at one hospital or another. It's gonna slow down at some point right?

RANT: My brain is just swimming. And it's horrible having to ask for help all the freaking time. I am a strong independent woman that is very used to doing everything for myself and everyone else. This needing help thing just sucks. And having people think I need help, that I can't take care of myself, that's the worst. RANT OVER

Thanks for listening.

• rgc77
    rgc77 Member Posts: 45
    edited January 2017
    Options

Teekee79, you've got that rant just right. That totally resonates with me right now. I think my whole week is going to be wasted in hospitals and doctors' offices. Actually, it's not true about the wasted part, but the rest is true.

It's hard to ask for help. We didn't the first time around. We were a very independent little family and it worked. But it's not going to work this time. Learning to ask for help is so much work!! Best wishes on the learning process. Sounds like you had a rough day and it got to be too much.

Here's wishing you a bit of calm and peace so your mind can stop swimming in all that junk they put into your body.

• kaayborg
    edited January 2017
    Options

Teekee rant away. Your ranting helps others. It does get better and ranting is part of the process. We're all holding you up.

• Kjones13
    Kjones13 Member Posts: 662
    edited January 2017
    Options

sounds like a rant I had 4 years ago! I say that because it was 4 years ago!!! Yay! And yes it does slow down...and then it picks back up...and then it slows down again. The thing is, there is nothing easy about cancer and especially stage4 cancer. And what it looks like for me isn't what it will look like for you...even if we have the exact same signature line (which we don't...although we do have the bone and liver thing going on). This website has been my saving grace. I'm a slow learner, but all I know is that you will grieve the loss of your independence and then you will grieve something else and something else. Cancer doesn't discriminate. It doesn't care. It's so hard to wrap our minds around what a stage 4 diagnosis really means. What is that you ask? I have no idea...except for at times life sucks and then it gets better again and then it sucks again and then we recover and we are doing well in the little bubble of our "normal" life...that's where I find myself these days. I had a weak moment yesterday with my husband. I'm blaming it on not refilling my depression meds fast enough! The thoughts running and screaming inside your head are such a drain. I hope you can get to a place of peace. Living in the moment will happen again. And it will be a great day again too.

• teekee79
    edited January 2017
    Options

Thanks for listening! I really just needed to vent.

• Casun19
    edited January 2017
    Options

hi ladies just bringing this thread back up to the top of the pile. I think I saw some new people introduce themselves on other threads who were in their 30's

Kjones - woo hoo to 4 years! Here's to many more.

Just had a PET scan last week, meeting with doctor tomorrow 😬. And I am getting ready to start a new treatment soon which is nerve wracking. But other than that things have been good. Slowly figuring things out. Also, i am in the process of signing up for social security disability. Because I don't know if I will go back to work.

Hope everyone is doing well!

• Apg
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hi casun! I am glad to hear things are going well for you! Prayers your results are good!

I'm doing well, I don't get scanned for another month. Anxious to see how I'm responding to the treatment. I have no pain now so hopefully that is a good sign!!

Misty

• Casun19
    edited January 2017
    Options

that's excellent news no pain! I saw that you had a port placed and they can't use it for you trial med! Ugh I would be so annoyed. I am constantly asking my doc if I can get my port out. Since I will only be on hormonal pills for now.But he says no....cause you never know when I will need it :(

Glad things are going well

• Apg
    edited January 2017
    Options

It was quite annoying. I guess it will be nice for just blood work and scans. I figured I wouldn't be able to get mine out for a long time either. You had an oophorectomy not to long ago didn't you? If so how are you feeling

• Casun19
    edited January 2017
    Options

yes it's been about 3 weeks since I had the hyst/ooph. I feel pretty good. Was only really down for a few days then back normal. I am happy I did it but now I am noticing all this peach fuzz like hair on my face and neck.... I am trying to figure out if it's the menopause or the after chemo fuzz? All I know is it's not cute lol!

• Chicago1018
    Chicago1018 Member Posts: 12
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hello Ladies,

I wanted to reach out to the women on this thread. I was recently diagnosed with stage IV with mets to the lung and bones. My original diagnosis was two months after my 30th birthday and I'm 37 now. I started ibrance and ovarian suppression so I can take an aromatase inhibitor.

I'm still coming to grips with all of this. I'd finally gotten to the point where every ache and pain didn't make me fear recurrence and kind of feel like I got hit over the head. I feel strength and energy from reading your posts. It feels like if others can muscle through, I can too. Thanks to all for sharing

• Casun19
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi Chicago1018,

Don't have anything brilliant to say but wanted to welcome you. Sorry to hear about your re-occurrence. As many have said before,No one wants to be here but it has proven to be a great support system. Hope you are doing well. Happy Monday!

• Apg
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi Chicago, I'm also 37 and dx in November with mets. It has been a rough few months and I hate that you are here too but as casun said it has helped me so much!

Casun, I hope you are doing well after your surgery. My hot flashes are more intense but still manageable. I don't notice too much peach fuzz but I have lost some eye lashes again! My eye brows are very thin too!

Misty

• Casun19
    edited February 2017
    Options

hi Apg! Everything going well, just completed my first week of ibrance/letrozole....I feel ok, a little fluish? But I also just had my xgeva shot. So, that usually knocks me down a little. My hot flashes have not been too bad. I had it REALLY bad when I went through chemo so, I am assuming my body doesn't have much to adjust to.

I wonder if it's the trial drug that is thinning your hair? Or the ibrance? I am hopeful for no hair loss on ibrance but beggars can't be choosers at this point. I think I would rather be "healthy" I know you have scans coming up soon. Keeping positive thoughts going!!! My next scan isn't until April. Going to try to keep busy until then.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

• Chicago1018
    Chicago1018 Member Posts: 12
    edited February 2017
    Options

Thanks for the welcome casun19 and apg. Hate that I'm back but thankful for these threads. It seems you're both new to ibrance too. I'm just finishing my first week. So far just nausea. Holding my breath for what's next.

• kaayborg
    edited February 2017
    Options

Chicago, a somewhat late welcome to you from me, too. I'm almost out of this age group...will be 40 in June but that's something to celebrate. Being hit over the head says it for sure. My mets dx was at 38 and the real possibility of not ever being 40 was one of many thoughts whacking me over the head. Finding disease stability has brought at lot of peace, as has sharing the ups and downs with others on these boards. Hope the nausea subsides and the cancer gets kicked!

Scan results for me will be in Tues. I'm expecting them to be good, which I think I should not do lest I be hit on the head again but...they should be good.

• Apg
    edited February 2017
    Options

Missy, I pray they are great and you remain stable! I have scans on Thursday! First ones for me after being in treatment! I feel the same way. I'll never complain of getting old. I'll be so happy if I can! Hope things have been going well for you. I think of you often!!!

• Casun19
    edited February 2017
    Options

kaayborg, good luck with your next scan! Sounds like you don't need it though 😊. It's always good to be reminded that stability is a real thing that is achievable.