Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Lumpectomy Lounge....let's talk!

Options

Comments

• LaurieParr
    LaurieParr Member Posts: 214
    Options

Thank you all for sharing. Your insights and posts really help along this process. I hope you all have a blessed Sunday. It is going to be in the 90's here in Vegas! Tongue Out

Love, peace and light to all of you,

XOXOXOXO

Laurie

• 35_smiling
    35_smiling Member Posts: 21
    Options

nyama ~ Thank you so much. It is hard to make the right decision. I sent my doctor an email and he replied and now I am fully in the understanding.  I am now waiting for them to arrange the surgery so I can move forward.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    Options

Hi y'all

35Smile - follow your heart...you will know when you and your BC team have reached the right plan for you...best wishes as you move forward :)

Laurie - it's 100 here in Rancho Mirage :(. Hope you have found the book helpful...and are filling your tank with laughter and (((hugs)))

Today was drumroll 33/33...DONE! My girl took 33 for the team:) now we are Happy Dancing, yippee! Skin looks good will trust that she will look baby bottom sweet in 2 weeks!

Sending confident healing thoughts(((hugs)))

Cindy

• 35_smiling
    35_smiling Member Posts: 21
    Options

RMlulu:

Congratulations on for having your last radiation yesterday! Jumping for joy over here!

Thank you for your kind words. 

• elkatho
    elkatho Member Posts: 68
    Options

Rmlulu....congratulations on finishing your rounds of radiation. Thanks for all you positive inspiration.

Sending positive thoughts to all the ladies.

• flatpikr
    flatpikr Member Posts: 4
    Options

I had a lumpectomy and sentinal node biopsy on 4/19/13.  My advice for those who haven't had the surgery yet is to buy a heavy-duty sports bra, the kind for high-impact sports.  Make sure it's not too tight though, because you will be swollen.  The kind with a zipper front closure is best.  I wore mine day and night for the first week and then switched to a lighter support sports bra for a few days until I could go back to my normal ones.  I have small breasts (36B).  I think with larger breasts you might have to wear the heavy bra longer.

Another thing that was helpful is that I was given a small heart-shaped pillow made by a volunteer group of ladies.  It was useful to tuck under my arm to pad the area of the lymph node excision and to put under the car seatbelt when riding.  Probably any small pillow would work, but the heart shape just fits the underarm area nicely.  I also used it when sleeping sometimes.

Speaking of sleeping, I had to sleep on my back for the first couple of weeks, which I'm not used to.

I still have a numb area, but it's getting less with time.  The area around the incisions feels thick and lumpy.  I can deal with that.  There is still a little residual blue dye from the sentinal node marking too.

• rmlulu
    Options

Hi Lumpies!

Thanks for the congrats on completing rads! Yippee free boobing and creaming now.

Flatpikr - glad your lx&snd went well and you are healing. Ask your BS when you may begin massaging your incision with cream...I used a combo neosporin and mederma and scar looked and felt really nice. Ask...so it right for you. I wore my sports bra to bed for a long time...D with lx at hi noon...needed the support.

Sending happy almost Monday wishes your way!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• WaveWhisperer
    WaveWhisperer Member Posts: 557
    Options

Schoolmom, Your DX and treatment are the closest to mine among the many hundreds of women I've encountered on this board. I was just a year ahead of you. I've been on Arimidex for almost a year and am taking a 4-week break to see if my joint pain and stiffness decrease.

Like you and others, I've been through it all, so I'm happy to answer questions.

Good luck to the newbies. Generally, lumpectomies are relatively minor surgery, compared to what some women have to go through. I was home in 3 hours, took pain pills only one night and was out and about 2 days later. (Do watch for speed bumps!!!)

Chemo was tough, no doubt about it, but, compared to that, radiation ws a breeze, even when I developed severe burns near the end of treatment.

The whole process takes almost a year out of your 'normal life,' but you come out on the other side a better, more sensitive, more appreciative person!!

• LaurieParr
    Options

Flatpikr,

Thank you SO much for sharing your experience. It is very helpful.

Blessings to all of you.

XOXOXO

Laurie

• karynhelen
    karynhelen Member Posts: 9
    Options

Just a quick question.... I'm having a lumpectomy tomorrow, and sential node biopsy. I was wondering if any of you were driving two days after your surgery... I have a six year old who needs to get to get to school in the morning and then to gymnastics Thursday afternoon. Just wondering if I should make other arrangements.... I know it is probably different for everyone. 

Thanks ladies, I appreciate any input...

Big hugs!

Karyn

• rmlulu
    Options

Hi karynhelen - make arrangements! No driving...no guilt! Ask your BS, but no driving even if you think you can.

You will feel ok, but you need the rest and no strain or stress on lx&snd!!!

Now breathe, laugh with your family, but remember the next week or two are all about you healing! Make sure you discuss with BS when you will have results.

Sending calming confident healing thoughts and for clear margins and nodes!

Take care brave warrior!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• elkatho
    elkatho Member Posts: 68
    Options

Karynhelen...Good Luck tomorrow. It will be over before you know it. Tale care of yourself and I will be sending your positive thoughts!

• karynhelen
    karynhelen Member Posts: 9
    Options

thank you Cindy and Elkatho...

Just got home from lumpectomy... feeling loopy.... and poopy... but optimistic.. 

I will not drive, thank you!

BTW, Cindy, you said 'Brave Warrior'... Thank you, I love that term....but I feel so lucky that I caught this early. So many women here are truely brave with later stages, chemo, and even facing the possibility of not beating this dastardly BC... I held my sister's hand through 7 months of extreme chemo treatments (for Ovarian and Uternine Cancer....and it was horrific. I met so many BRAVE WARRIORS while she was getting her Chemo treatments.

At this point I don't see the need for that kind of bravery in my future.... Let's pray that it stays that way...

I am proud to be a part of this group of women who face BC with bravery, grace, love and lots support for people you don't even know... and even prouder to have the privilage to communicate with women like you special ladies. But, while I AM pulling up my big girl panties and facing my diagnosis and treatment with bravery (and perspective), I appreciate and admire those true Brave Warriors like my sis, who are suffering through much more difficult surgeries and treatments. I hope that you are like me, and being a brave warrior behind those Soldiers on the front lines, and not on the front lines... Boy am I looooopyyy!!! Maybe I'm feeling guilty for being so lucky... ? I will have to think about that... Maybe I shouldn't 'Lump and Post'.... (post 

Cindy, you rock! I guess we all are brave warriors, and facing our own personal BC in our own personal ways. I guess I just feel so thankful. Sorry I'm rambling.... Thank you for your supportive words and kindness... Also, I just noticed we have similar types of BC.... Sweet dreams Brave Warrior!

Kiss

Karyn

• Steph01
    Steph01 Member Posts: 35
    Options

Hello, ladies. I'm not really sure this is the right place for me (this thread), but for now its as good a place as any. 

To start off, I am a 46yo white woman with two children. I occasionally have a drink, am about 40-50 lbs overweight, been on the pill for about 25 of the last 30 years, and do have a family history (both sides) of breast cancer. I also have a personal history of cysts: they almost always do some kind of followup after my mammograms. I am, what I consider, a "typical" woman. Anyway, here's my story:

April, 2012: Annual Mammogram

May, 2012: Followup for more pics. Determined that I needed a biopsy of the left breast, which was scheduled for later same month. Still really no concerns, as this all seemed to be "normal" for me.

Early June, 2012: Biopsy came back invasive cancer, stage 1, unclear if it was lobular or ductal. Consult with surgeon, decided on a lumpectomy followed by radiation. Surgery followed about 1-1/2 weeks after consult. Things moved really, really fast. I was grateful for that, even though it still seemed to take forever.

Early July, 2012: Biopsy results available: ILC, Stage 1, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-. No vascular or lymphatic involvement (0/6 lymph nodes.) Scheduled consult with radiation oncologist.

August, 2012: I had 21 radiation treatments.

October, 2012: I met with my medical oncologist. Had the Oncotype done, and my "magic number" was 14. NO CHEMOTHERAPY! YEAH! Honestly, the thought of chemo had me terrified even though I had handled everything else so well. I started Tamoxifin in October, and have been on it since then. My only side effects have been some hair loss/thinning and thin fingernails.

Fast forward to April, 2013...

April 19, 2013: Annual mammogram, both sides... My DH happened to go with me, because we were going out to dinner afterwards. The radiologist says the left size looks "postoperatively normal" but there is something on the right side he wants an ultrasound for. I have the ultrasound on the same visit, the radiologist reviews the ultrasound and tells me we should do a biopsy, which we schedule. I have a bad feeling, so I schedule an appt. with my surgeon.

May 1, 2013: Biopsy. Different Radiologist. She says that the area is "highly suspicious". Luckily, looks small (under 1 cm). I actually do very well after the biopsy. Very little pain. Back to "normal" activities within 24 hours.

May 3, 2013: My PC dr. calls me. I have been diagnosed with IDC, stage 1. My husband and I take the weekend to talk, doing all the "what ifs", about lumpectomy, radiation, etc. This tumor is smaller than the first one, so we figure that the treatment will be about the same.

May 5, 2013: My surgeon "strongly recommends" a bilateral masectomy. My DH and I are in shock. I guess he is looking more at the timing (its only been 11 months since my first diagnosis) than anything else. I do have the option of a lumpectomy followed by radiation. I meet with a plastic surgeon next week and am getting a second opinion from a surgeon either this week or next so that I can make an informed decision.

My breasts are important to me. But all of my friends and family (except my DH) are pushing for the masectomy. I know that lumpectomy with radiation is "just as good" as a masectomy, but they won't listen. Of course, the fact that my doctor is "strongly" recommending is not helping me talk to them about my choices.

As with all of you, my head is just swimming. What would you do? What do you think? How in the H*LL do you decide?!?!

• schoolmom
    schoolmom Member Posts: 327
    Options

Steph01-------I would get a second opinion.  See if another doctor, not within the same practice as doctor # 1, makes the same recommendation. 

• loral
    loral Member Posts: 818
    Options

I would get a second opinion also. 

• nyama
    nyama Member Posts: 38
    Options

karynhelen - Congratulations on having your lumpectomy behind you!  I can relate to some of your musings about bravery and perspective and have thought some of the same things myself (and don't even have post-op "loopiness" as an excuse!)

Steph01 - complicated history.  I would definitely get a second opinion, as well.  Good luck!

It's now been 3 weeks since my lumpectomy--hard to believe!  Since I had the oncoplasty along with it, though, I still have some pain--actually more pain this week than my first two weeks post-op.  I think there must be some nerves regenerating or something--it's a very odd feeling.  I alternate between feeling like the skin is hypersensitive (in between the numb areas), occasional stabbing pains, especially from the area where the cancer was taken out, breast-achiness, and a feeling almost like I'm getting goose-bumps on my chest...but I'm not.  Anyway, will be glad when this phase is over!

I finally meet up with the RO tomorrow morning to make a plan of action, the timing of which is of course dependent on the oncotype results.  He might have those results, actually, since my MO, SO, and RO are all part of the same oncology practice, but if not I'll get it next week when I see my MO again.  Anyway, I'll find out how many treatments and so forth tomorrow and get set up for all the pre-rads testing/simulation they need to do.  Thinking positively that I won't have to do chemo first, I want to hit the ground running and go straight into rads as soon as I get back from Louisville.  It will already be 7-8 weeks post-op at that time and I don't want to wait any longer to finish killing off any stray cancer cells that might still be in me!

• Steph01
    Options

Nyama - I had all the symptoms you're describing. Make sure you do the exercises they gave you. If its not better 1-2 months after you finish your rads, definitely go see a physical therapist. Helped me A LOT!

• Steph01
    Options

Found out today that my "tumor conference" is Tuesday morning. I'll know more then.

• LaurieParr
    Options

Blessing to you Steph.

You are all in my prayers every day.

XOXOXO

Laurie

• Nissi
    Nissi Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to pass on some helpful info about lumpectomy plus radiation.

I had a lumpectomy, then radiation.  5 years later I had a recurrance in the same breast.  I was so devastated that a mastectomy was the next step.  What I did not know at the time was that by having radiation to my breast, it lowered my choices for reconstruction after mastectomy.  I was not a candidate for implants due to the loss of elastisity of the skin.  I don't think it would have changed my original decision but it would have been nice to know up front all the ways my choice would have limited me down the road.

Thanks for this discussion board.

Nissi

• LaurieParr
    Options

Nissi,

Thank you SO much for this information! You have helped me going forward. God bless.

XOXOXO

Laurie

• Steph01
    Options

Wow, Nissi. I had no idea. I hope that is not the case for me. (I had radiation last year.)

Thank you Laurie. I think that may be the nicest thing anyone has said to me in months. I will pray for you, too, and put your surgery on my calendar.

• slv58
    slv58 Member Posts: 486
    Options

Hi Ladies, had my last chemo wed, and surgery is booked for June 7th. Excited to be moving on to my next phase of treatment, but also a bit nervous. I'm trying prepare for everything. I purchased a couple of bras that do up in the front and some pyjamas also. I've also had to get some "fat clothes" as I've put on so much weight from chemo. I'm wondering if I should get one of those posture pillows that go under your knees for sleeping, I really hate sleeping on my back but I'm guessing that it will be more comfortable after lumpectomy. Maybe it's not worth it if healing time is quick, unless I would be sleeping that way during radiation as well? Guess you can tell my head is spinning! I'm such a control freak-lol.

Wishing all a happy Mother's Day and calming thoughts for all our upcoming surgeries! Thank you to those who are leaving such great tips!

• rmlulu
    Options

Slv58 - congrats on finishing adventures in chemo land! You've come so far and soon you'll have lx! Making plans is good. A front zip sports bra is good, front zip/button tops, camis, and pillows :) I haven't slept on my side or tummy since night before lx. So whatever will make you the most comfortable. Sending calming confident thoughts:)

• slv58
    Options

Thanks RMlulu, a pillow for under knees is a definite then! Do you find your lumpectomy site still sore? I've always switched from one side to the other sleeping, so I guess this will be an adjustment. No prob- piece of cake.....hmmm :) got to get back to normal eating now that I'm done chemo!

• rmlulu
    Options

Hey Svl58 - the waiting was hardest...once lx is done there is a wonderful sense of calm...make sure you clear discuss when and how your BS will share margins and node results and the final path results. Once my stitches came out I used neosporin and miaderm 3X daily and gently massaged the area. Sore no, tender yes my incision was 10:20 to 2:30 across the top of chest little dimple and a soft boob sock to support felt good.

Good nutrition makes a big difference so make effort to eat well...:)

• slv58
    Options

Yes I agree about good nutrition and have made a very good effort in upping my vegetables and fruits via green smoothies every day. I guess it's just the steroids giving me such an enormous appetite, but happily no more of those! Can I ask you what a soft boob sock is? Something home made to fill the divot? Good advise about final pathology, next time I see my surgeon is day of surgery, so hopefully I remember to ask!

• schoolmom
    schoolmom Member Posts: 327
    Options

I used the heart pillow from the hospital after surgery to sleep.my surgery is on the left. Used it in car as padding still to keep seatbelt pressure away. Now use it to protect port. I used it under arm for a week or so after surgery to keep weight from arm pulling on surgery site. I slept on my side with pillow to cushion.

• rmlulu
    Options

Slv58 - the softest sock you can find to caress the girl and support underneath.

Make a note to give to your BS prior to surgery or have whoever is waiting for you during lx ask or write with sharpie on arm clear nodes margins when? BS will know what you need to know...I was told to call 4 working days later so ASK!