Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Lumpectomy Lounge....let's talk!

Options

Comments

• WaveWhisperer
    WaveWhisperer Member Posts: 557
    Options

Elkatho, I agree with Chell. Find a thread for women going through T/c the same time you are. They will give you support, answer questions and make you feel not so alone. (No one who hasn't had chemo fully understands its full effects.) I

If you don't find one, start one, or read posts from women who had T/c just before you.

I had t/c starting in December 2011 and joined the December 2011 group. We bonded so much that we now have our own Facebook page and are in touch daily. They were a godsend.

Generally, I would say to listen to your body. Some days you may feel like working in your garden or fishing, and other days you will physically not be able to get out of bed. You'll learn your body's cycle from treatment to treatment. It affects everyone differently. Some women continue working, maybe taking off the days of infusion and one or two days later. Others, like me, could not have worked. It's no picnic, but it does end!!!!

• LaurieParr
    LaurieParr Member Posts: 214
    Options

Thank you ladies for all of your stories and information. It is truly helpful.  Much love to all of you!

XOXOXO

Laurie

• elkatho
    elkatho Member Posts: 68
    Options

Sbab49. Sending you peaceful thoughts and lots of smiles:):):):).

• Steph01
    Steph01 Member Posts: 35
    Options

Hello, my lovely lady friends. I haven't posted in a while; nothing new to say. But I do read your posts, and you are all so inspiring!

Yesterday I met with my plastic surgeon and got the results from my tumor conference. Sadly, they (multiple surgeons and oncologists) couldn't give me a clear recommendation. Because this is a second tumor, and still small, they all agree that either a lumpectomy of the right or a bilateral masectomy is a good choice. No strong feelings either way. If I go with the masectomy, I'll have to wait four weeks before I can get surgery. This is in large part because they are seeing an increase in breast cancer cases.

A couple of nights ago, I had a dream that sticks with me: I was stung by an alien insect (remember :) this is a dream) whose sting was supposed to be fatal. Other people around me got really sick and died because they were also stung. I had a few symptons, but pulled through. In my dream, time passes. People everywhere are getting sick and dying. The people that originally were stung and died passed along an illness to others that was killing everyone. I got sick, too. At first (in my dream) I figured I'd fight it: I had beat it the first time, right? But then I realized that there was no point, and I just gave up. I walked away from my family, loved ones, and friends, so that I could just go off and die.

I know this was "just" a dream; but it really tells me how scared I am to be doing this again. I really want some clear direction on what to do to get through this. I am not ready to "go off and die"; I'm going to fight. But what is the best plan of attack? I'm really scared that I'll make the wrong desicion.

• elkatho
    Options

Oh, Stephen01. I am on my way to my chemo appt (I am not driving and messaging) but want you to know I am praying to send you some calm to think this through. You will make the right decision.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    Options

Sbab49 - sending (((hugs)))! Today is your lx and we're all in your pocket cheering for you:) with fingers&toes crossed for clear margins and nodes:). You will do fine and sometime this weekend you'll go ahhhh....I've crossed over and realize the awesome relief you feel and smile:))) yes, you've got this brave warrior!

In my prayers

Cindy

• rmlulu
    Options

Steph01 - oh Steph (((hugs))) wish there was someway to see the future and know with absolute certainty....but this is life real raw frightening and exciting.

Write down all your questions choices and then speak with your BC team- BS, PS, RO, MO, and Onc social worker. Take an appointment buddy to record answers and be your 2nd set of ears. Ask ask ask until you feel comfortable that you understand all risks and benefits...then make the decision that is right for you! You will know in your heart/gut...and don't second guess yourself. You make the best informed choice that brings you peace! And you stand on it!

Praying that a clear path will be revealed and you will move forward in confident trust!

You will be fine brave warrior...you are not alone ...we are standing with you:)

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• Butterfly902
    Butterfly902 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hello Everyone,

I have read so much information since my diagnosis and I am in awe; however, I feel that it is time for me to be a part of this community. First of all, I am so thankful that the Lumpectomy Lounge exists because I feel that the participants truly understand and want to share helpful comments.

I had my surgery on April 17 and my left breast is still tender with a seroma under the arm due to the removal of 4 lymph nodes. It seems that my breast is somewhat hard now. Is that normal? Also, I have had my breast drained for the swelling and maintain elevation of the affected arm when possible, but the swelling is still there. At my visit with the radiologist, he said it's "normal". I have read that the swelling usually last from 6 -12 weeks. Can anyone share their thoughts on how to minimize the swelling? I'm scheduled to begin radiation on 5/30/13.

Thank you, in advance, for your responses.

• sbab49
    sbab49 Member Posts: 30
    Options

Surgery was actually May 15. BS called late Fri. evening to tell me path report was clean margins and negative SNB. She didn't want me to have to wait through weekend. Bless her heart. Said chemo off table but Rad-Brachy Therapy (savi) still on table along with Tamox.  She discouraged oncotype test which makes me a little uncomfortable but I guess I have to trust her. She truly is awesome. Met with Rad onco before surgery and he too was very cool. Dreading the rad catheter but it is only for 8-10 days. It is 2:56 a.m. and as usual I am wide awake. I suppose sleepless nights will taper down eventually. My thoughts and prayers are for all of us that are on this journey.

• doxie
    doxie Member Posts: 700
    Options

sbab49,  I'd ask your MO about getting the Oncotype done. Also ask your BS why she thinks you don't need it done.  

I think it is especially important if you are Grade 2 as this is where there are more questions as to whether or not you need chemo and whether or not it will be effective.  Have you met with your medical oncologist yet? It's really that dr's call to make.  

• schoolmom
    schoolmom Member Posts: 327
    Options

My margins were clear and I only had micromets in 1/3 nodes.  My onco score was 21 and I am grade 3.  I opted for 4 rounds of TC and although it was hard, I am glad I did it.  I used penguin cold caps and saved enough hair to not need a wig although I shed about 30-40 %.  Went back to work 2 days after last chemo and no one knew....other than I had been out for 3 months and lost about 10 pounds. 

Question ladies:  I had my surgery on 9/28 and after chemo and rads the incision sites are still tender.  I just now have started massaging the scar tissue to hopefully break it down.  Under arm is tender where 2nd incision was.  How long is it normal to be tender????

• loral
    loral Member Posts: 818
    Options

My scars are still sore also. I have keloid scars and I am applying Kelo-cote on them to make them go flat. My breast scar and underarm scar hurt more when I do more.

• elkatho
    Options

Sbab49. I agree with Doxie...I would talk to a MO for his/her opinion on oncotype or mamaprint...that is their specialty. No body wants chemo but it is better to be as certain as one can that it would not benefit you.

Butterfly..The area which my tumor was removed from the breast was hard and tender for 6-7 weeks. One of the hardest things to endure is wondering if everything is ok. Call your BS or nurse and ask. At the least it may reduce some unnecessary stress.

• DellaHJ
    DellaHJ Member Posts: 46
    Options

Butterfly 902:

My breast is still hard on the side where I had the surgery and then had radiation.  September '12.   I see an occupational therapist who has done wonders for lymph drainage and other issues.   My breast is still sore on that side when I sleep on it.   One of my problems is that I can't find a bra in which I am comfortable.  They're either too big or too small or too uncomfortable.   When I started to get myself back into shape, I was lifting 5 lb weights, but started too soon and had serious lymph fluid back up in that breast.  So I am restarting slowly again and still trying to lose the weight I gained from my temporary run in with Tamoxifen.

• Steph01
    Options

Schoolmom: I had my surgery in June of 2012, and still feel tender sometimes. The swelling will eventually go down, according to my BS it can take a while for the breast to adjust to have a void; which the body initially fills with fluid. The tenderness I have now is mostly the area of the SNB, and is more than tolerable. Most of the time, I don't even notice it. I think its bothering me more now because I am more aware of my breasts (going through this whole process again SUCKS!)

DellaHJ: Do you do ANY sewing? If so, go to Walmart and buy a couple of sports bras: the kind that hook up in the front. Buy the size that is most comfortable around the rib cage; then, you need to do an easy fix for the under arm part: on sports bras, that side piece comes up much higher than a regular bra. This gave me fits, because it rubs against my SNB scar. Two options that worked for me: fold the side over to create a "hem", making sure that the side is a minimum of a half inch from your scar. Because exercise bras are made from "stretchy" material, this can be challenging, but it can be done. The second option: cut it down so that the side is smaller, then use a tight zigzag stitch to catch the edge and keep it from unraveling. This option isn't is pretty, but is easier to do!  Finally, make sure you wash it at least once to soften the bottom edge near the "hook and eye" and keep it from rolling over.

• PaEaglesFan
    PaEaglesFan Member Posts: 57
    Options

http://baliintimates.com/bras/styles/?style=3484&color=BK
    These have been the most comfortable bra I've ever worn, they come in S M L sizes and you choose by your bra size.  I followed the chart to and was pleasantly surprised that it was accurate.  They are soft and stretchy enough that it fits my B- side and my C+ side perfectly.  
    My surgery was 1 year ago this coming Saturday and the only discomfort I notice anymore is sometimes the snb scar will be a little irritated.
    Steph... My surgeon told me there is no right or wrong decision when dealing with BC.  You make the decision you are most comfortable with.  I've already made up my mind that if (God forbid) I have a recurrence, I'm having the mastectomy done.  Arm yourself with as much information as you can and make the choice that brings you the most peace.  
    Elkatho-I hope you aren't feeling too crummy after your chemo.  How many treatments will you have?  

• elkatho
    Options

Steph. I keep trying to send you something inspirational to get you through this decision. I kept asking my BS for direction and she would only say she would would not offer any options that were not on an even playing field, you have to make the decision that will help you sleep best at night. I would think the delay in getting a masectomy should not influence your decision, if that is the procedure you prefer, however there are pluses and minuses to each procedure. I will keep sending you thoughts of strength to make the right decision for you. And agreed .... it sucks you have to through this twice.

Chemo has not been bad. I have totally pampered myself and have been living a pretty stress free life. Ordered a wig and plan on shaving my head as soon as it arrives. Need to beat the cancer to that - something I can control. I plan on going back to work tomorrow. Should be good for me to get my mind on other noncancer items.

Peaceful rest to all.

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    Options

Has anyone heard from Torigirl????

She has been MIA for a while.

And she lives in Oklahoma..

If anyone keeps in touch with her please pm me.Im worried

Thanks

Grannydukes

• rmlulu
    Options

Hi Lumpies

Torigirl has been bouncing between OK&CO...selling homes with hubby being deployed.

It's been a few weeks ...

Keep her in your prayers!

Cindy

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    Options

Thank u Cindy....

Torigirl is always in my prayers.

Prayin for everyone in Oklahoma.

Grannydukes

• Steph01
    Options

elkatho and fellow warriors: Well, I decided on the Masectomy and finally got word yesterday that the surgery is scheduled for June 13. I think the time will fly: It's only 3-1/2 weeks away!

I'm concerned for those of you that read this and start to second guess your decision to have a lumpectomy. I want you to know that I am still confident that the lumpectomy was the right decision for me last year. If only all had gone according to plan...

• loral
    Options

Steph01....tough decision to make, I wish you the best on your upcoming surgery.

• rmlulu
    Options

(((Steph01))) - yeah, you've faced a difficult decision and you now have a plan to move forward!

All of us Lumpies stand with you...we want complete healing for you:). Let us know how surgery goes 6/13! Rest, relax, and gather up all the laughter & luv you can before surgery. Go blow some bubbles and watch some kids giggle and chase.

Wishing you all the best:)))

Cindy

• elkatho
    Options

Steph...so glad you made your decision. I think I would have made the same in your situation. Hope your dreams will be filled with images of conquering this cancer along with all the great adventures you will have in the future:) Enjoy the next few weeks and get all items needed to pamper yourself during your recovery

• elkatho
    Options

Chell45...I have these bras. Very comfy. I also like the material when a get hot. Found these at kohls. Unfortunately all they had left was lime green and bright blue ...but it works under dark colors:)

• elkatho
    Options

My nurse did not go over anything regarding eating while undergoing treatment so I set-up an appt with a nutritionist at the cancer center. If there is anything you would like me to find out let me know. I see her Thursday afternoon.

• havel
    havel Member Posts: 5
    Options

Thank you, DellaHJ, elkatho and schoolmom for your support. I was supposed to have the lumpectomy on 5/13 but it was rescheduled and I had it done yesterday morning. The needle localization was one of the most painful things I have ever experienced. The lumpectomy took about 45 mins. I was fine until 8p.m. and then I get up and see a red trail behind me. I touch the side of the sports bra and it's wet. I take it off and the bandages are blood soaked and blood is leaking out like a leaking faucet. I start panicking and call the hospital. BS calls me back and has to walk me thru how to change the dressings. Today, I have been in excruciating pain and one side of nipple appears to be "sinking" inward. I am hoping I will feel a little better tomorrow.

Again, thank you for all the support. And special thoughts and prayers to all of my fellow lumpies!

• rmlulu
    Options

Oh Havel, so sorry that your lx was so difficult and then complications at home ugh:(((

I wasn't able to look at lx&snd at first and then with lights down low. You're brave.

Hope your discomfort eases...if not call BS!

Stay on top of pain meds and take a gentile laxative too! Enjoy prunes.

Sending speedy healing thoughts (((hugs)))

Cindy

• loral
    Options

Havel, sorry for the pain you are in, hope all will be well with you tomorrow.

• WaveWhisperer
    WaveWhisperer Member Posts: 557
    Options

Schoolmom, my surgery was 19 months ago, and my breast still is tender. Docs tell me at every visit that it's not unusual, that nerves are healing, etc.