Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Cytoxan Taxotere Chemo Ladies- February/March 2013

Options

Comments

• wrh58
    wrh58 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2013
    Options

GailAnn it looks like you are starting chemo the day b/4 me. Did they have you do any Genomic oncotype test or the BRCA test before deciding on chemo treatment? I am scared to death to get some of the reactions and side effects with these two drugs. anybody have neuropathy?

• cmbernardi
    cmbernardi Member Posts: 853
    edited March 2013
    Options

All,

I called immediately to the infusion center after the hives started when I took the Neulasta shot.  While I did have Zyrtec on hand and took it, I then had to take a Benedryl too.  Today I will buy the generic Claritan because the bone pain is still present.  I have a soar throat too and am eating Popsicles.  What's up with that?  Is my larynx irritated after just one T/C infusion?

• TMM60
    TMM60 Member Posts: 121
    edited March 2013
    Options

melrose- thanks for starting this board. It's nice to have a thread on just those getting TC.

My oncotype was 28, so I am getting 4 rounds, 3 weeks apart.

wrh58, I will share my experience after my 1st round on Feb 15. All of our bodies are different and even though we might be getting the same cocktail, we might not have the same exact experience with SE.

I took decadron twice a day, the before, the day of and the day after chemo. I also got more decadron just before the drugs as well as Zofran. The decadron is to prevent the swelling that the Taxotere can cause, and I didn't get any. The Zofran to prevent nausea.

I had no side effects at the infusion center and felt pretty normal the day of the chemo, maybe just a little tired. I did wake up at midnight the day I had the chemo and my stomach felt a little weird so I took a Zofran. But I never needed to take another.

Decadron made me very hungry, but nothing really tasted good after the chemo. It also made me moody and a I woke up a few times in the night (a bit wired).

Constipation- yep, and the Zofran really makes it worse. I tried 2 colace caps, but it wasn't enough. So I took Senokot-S and that worked in about 24 hours. After that, I needed to take it again at the end of week one. I think next time I will start the colace before chemo. I did drink lots of fluids.

Nausea- I didn't get any and I was most worried about that SE. I followed directions to eat many small meals and keep something on my stomach. That helped.

Loss of taste- my taste buds definitely checked out for week 1 and some of week 2 after chemo. Red meat tasted horrible and I couldn't really taste much of anything except sweets. I enjoyed eating oatmeal, puddings, sorbet, popsicles, greek yogurt and Carnation Breakfast Essentials. Those tasted good and helped me get the added fluids you need after the chemo and protein to help you rebuild what you lose. I could still taste chocolate so that was a nice pleasure!

Mouth sores, sore throat and thrush- I got this 2 days after chemo. I got a prescription for clotrimazole to knock out the yeast (thrush) that I sucked on 5 times per day and a mouth rinse with benadryl, antacid and lidocaine to soothe the sores. I felt much better in a few days. Others on these boards have suggested to use  mouth rinse with baking soda and salt to prevent this and I think I will try that this round.

Fatigue- I got my chemo on a Friday and was tired for the first 4 days. I felt good enough to work (mostly sitting at a desk and using computer and phone) after that.

Runny nose- the chemo wipes out the hairs in your nose, so lots of dabbing with Kleenex, I still have this.

Dry skin- very dry, I keep slathering myself with Curel. I still have this too

Infection/Fever- I didn't have this problem. Your white count will be at its lowest at the end of week 1 and in to week 2. I stayed at home (I'm fortunate that I can work at home).

Hair loss- it started with just a few hairs falling out on day 12, and then it progressed to falling out in clumps by day 14. I had my mid-back length hair cut into a pixie the day after chemo. I had it shaved off on day 15 and have been wearing a wig when I go out (I hate the wig), and lots of cute head covers that I got at headcovers.com. The head covers are super comfortable and look good with a little makeup and some dangly earrings.

Neuropathy- I got tingling and numbness in my fingers and toes starting on day 9. It pretty much continued this entire week, but is mostly all gone today. Taxotere can cause this. My MO will decide whether or not to lower my chemo dose for the next round.

I thought all of my SE's were tolerable and I hope you have minimal SE's!

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited March 2013
    Options

whr58, my Oncotype DX number was 21. The chemo was a hard call, but I think I've made the right decision. I told the oncologist up front that I didn't want to be treated with any chemo drug that would risk damage to the heart. I think (hope) I can persevere through anything that's likely to be be temporary.

TMM60, I appreciate your detailed account of your experience. Though we'll all react a little differently, I feel like the more variety of experiences I hear about, the better I'll be prepared for whatever comes up.

• Melrosemelrose
    Melrosemelrose Member Posts: 607
    edited March 2013
    Options

TMM60- Love the Zofran for preventing the nausea but hated the light case of constipation that I got from it.  I ate for just about every breakfast--- bowl of rolled oats plus wheat bran plus banana and blue berries plus milk  while I was having chemo.  I also ate  one-two Sunsweet Ones prunes with every meal ( those prunes can be found at Target in a tall clear cylinder container near the raisins and are individually wrapped prunes that are really sweet and moist.)  I ate those prunes because I couldn't drink another drop of prune juice even though I tried.  I also cut those prunes up and ate them on toast like preserves which wasn't too bad.  I also ate high fiber fruits and veggies to help with the situation.  I fortunately did not need to take any OTC meds for the constipation although I had some.   

Here is the recipe for the baking soda and salt mouth rinse.  You need to mix a fresh batch every time you rinse:

1/4 teaspoon baking soda + 1/4 teaspoon salt + 1 cup of warm water

I also increased the salt when I had mouth/tongue sores or just rinsed with salt  + water which seemed to help.

Wishing a good week for all and minimal side effects.

• Starynights
    Starynights Member Posts: 64
    edited March 2013
    Options

Oh girl we are chemo twins. I start on the 8th also. Scared spitless !

• AnnieLane
    edited March 2013
    Options

I think having lost my mom to ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) has helped my perspective so much. The heavy, heartbreaking thing about that diagnosis is that there is absolutely nothing you can do except manage the symptoms until the disease kills you, which it inevitably will. There really is no cure for that disease.

But with breast cancer, for most of us, there is so much we can do to improve our overall prognosis. So I keep reminding myself that I chose to have the chemo and no matter how miserable it makes me for a few months, it should reduce my chance of recurrence. My oldest daughter said, "Mom, I know you are doing this for us as much as for yourself." She is so right.

• yellowdoglady
    yellowdoglady Member Posts: 52
    edited March 2013
    Options

Good luck to all of you.

I did that starting in mid January 2009, and after 6 rounds of 8 hours of cytoxin and taxotare every 3 weeks, I did 7 weeks of daily radiation.  I'm fine now, and would do it again in a heartbeat if need be.  It isn't fun, or anyone's first choice, but it's doable, and if it's what you need to keep yourself safe, I highly recommend that.  The idea is to walk out of the tunnel and into the light.  The rest of your life is waiting.    

• AnnieLane
    edited March 2013
    Options

Yellowdoglady, thank you for that positive, encouraging perspective! I love it! I, too, am a dog lady - have three of them, but I guess I'm a blackwhitebrowndoglady! Hey, a girl has to have her therapy dogs, right? Dear me, I'm also a cat lady as of about a year ago, but have been a dog lady for much longer. One of my two cats went missing a week before my lumpectomy and hasn't shown back up. I came out of anesthesia crying about...my missing cat! But I still have four furry friends at home and a wonderful DH to help take care of them and me.

• AnnieLane
    edited March 2013
    Options

Hey Ladies, I've been thinking about trying L-Glutamine to try to prevent/minimize neuropathy from the Taxotere. There's a thread here on BC.org about it and I've also found some info on webmd and some other cancer related sites. I can be a hard sell when it comes to supplements and alternative medicines, but it seems the most negative thing traditionally minded oncologists have to say about this is that the evidence is mostly anecdotal, but it can't hurt (no contraindictions.) Some gals indicated that their MO or nutritionist recommended it. Apparently there was a study done a few years ago that showed it helped colon cancer patients.

Has anyone else heard anything about L-Glutamine for chemo induced neuropathay or actually tried it? I gather you can find it at GNC and health food stores.

• TMM60
    TMM60 Member Posts: 121
    edited March 2013
    Options

I have been concerned about doing B6, L-glutamine for neuropathy prevention. There just doesn't seem to be any scientific evidence to support effectiveness and there is some literature that too much of the supplements can actually cause neuropathy. I see my MO on Wednesday pre chemo round 2. I will ask her about this and let you all know what she says.

• cmbernardi
    edited March 2013
    Options

Does the Magic Mouthwash make the sore throat and mouth sores go away?  Can I eat regular food again after using the Magic Mouthwash?  I am 5 days post T/C chemo (my first treatment), although that info. does not show up on the thread for some strange reason.

• Melrosemelrose
    edited March 2013
    Options

The Magic Mouthwash is supposed to help with the mouth sores  (aka oral mucositis).  Here is the link to drugs.com that talks about Magic Mouthwash----http://www.drugs.com/ppa/magic-mouthwash.html since I'm not sure what exactly magic mouth wash forumula you have. 

As for eating, the Eating Well Through Cancer book says to try to

• avoid tart, acidic or salty foods and drinks such as citrus fruit juices, picked and vinergary foods, tomato based foods and some canned broths. 
    • avoid rough textured foods such as dry toast, granola and raw fruits and vegetables.
    • Eat food that is cool or room temperature since very hot or cold foods can cause discomfort.
    • Limit alcohol, cafeeine and tobacco
    • Avoid spices such as chili poweder, cloves, curry, hot sauces, nutmeg and pepper
    • Season foods with herbs such as basil, oregano and thyme
    • Use a dtaw for liquids and pureed bland foods
    • Cut food into small pieces
    • Softer and easy to swallow foods include soft, creamy foods such as cream soups, cheeses, mashed potatoes, pasta, yogurt, eggs, custards, puddings, cooked cereal, ice cream, casseroles, gravies, syrups, breakfast type recipes, milkshakes and nutritional liquid food supplements (Ensure).  Other soft foods are applesauce, bananas, watermelong, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, smoothies, jello, oatmeal, cream of wheat, mashed potatoes or sweet potaatoes, popsicles.

Hope this answers your questions and helps.

• cmbernardi
    edited March 2013
    Options

Thank you very much Melrose.   This chemotherapy stuff is not all that it is cracked up to be!

Carolyn

• AnnieLane
    edited March 2013
    Options

I'm watching and learning enough not to be cocky if I don't feel bad at first Undecided Melrose you're going to be our hero (heroine Kiss) Carolyn so sorry to hear the crud is starting for you.

• cmbernardi
    edited March 2013
    Options

@GailAnn - the yucky mouth and throat is much better after just 1 day of using the Magic Mouthwash (some call it Miracle Mouthwash).  I would ask for a prescription for the stuff BEFORE you even leave your first chemo treatment.  And DO DEFINITELY purchase and take the Claritan the day before, the day of and the 3 days after your WBC (Nuelasta) shot.  I experienced severe bone pain not to mention the rash and hives 30 minutes after taking it.  The bone pain lasted 4 days and seems to be subsiding today.  I will ask my MO (who I see tomorrow) for a pain medicine in case that happens again because I cannot take NSAIDS and Tylenol does not even touch the pain I experienced.  I do not mean to scare you but want you to be well informed.  Be safe and well fellow Warrior.  And if you have any more questions, feel free to ask at any time as we are all in this together!

Carolyn

• AnnieLane
    edited March 2013
    Options

Thank you Carolyn. You are not scaring me at all. All of these are SEs I've heard about, so I welcome any tips that might help relieve them. I already have my Claritin and ginger capsules and will ask about the mouthwash.

• AnnieLane
    edited March 2013
    Options

I just talked to my oncologist's nurse and she had no concerns about me trying L-Glutamine and they definitely recommend the Claritin before and after the Neulasta shot.

• Melrosemelrose
    edited March 2013
    Options

GailAnn- It is Vitamin B-complex and L Glutamine powder that I have sitting on my desk to help with neuropathy.  I didn't take any supplements during chemo to help prevent neuropathy but whatever neuropathy I did have which was mild is gone.  Make sure you keep walking, wiggling your toes and fingers and just keep moving to help keep the blood circulating.  You may also want to wear crocs/shoes/sneakers around the house and not go barefoot. 

We just will keep hoping for minimal side effects and whatever ones come your way, can be easily managed.

• AnnieLane
    edited March 2013
    Options

Thanks Melrose. My biggest concern about neuropathy is that if I get it bad in my hands it could keep me from working and I'm hoping not to need to need to miss so much work that I exhaust my  paid sick leave.

• Starynights
    edited March 2013
    Options

How often do you have to take the Claritin?

• AnnieLane
    edited March 2013
    Options

Starting the day before the Neulasta shot and for several days after. The Neulasta shot is given the day after the chemo treatment.

• Melrosemelrose
    edited March 2013
    Options

The drug protocal for the Claritin under the ongoing clinical trial is to take the Claritin for 7 days beginning the day that the shot is received.  You would want to take the Claritin early enough in the day before the shot so that it is in your system.  I took the Claritin for 9 days and did not experience any bone pain from the Neulasta shot.  I took my Claritin in the morning and received my Neulasta shot in that afternoon.

• AnnieLane
    edited March 2013
    Options

Well, Ladies, my DH took me out tonight for the last Tex-Mex comfort food I'll probably enjoy for awhile. It was heavenly...sigh

• Starynights
    edited March 2013
    Options

I start on March 8. Doc said they would give it a go without a port for only four treatments. I have very small deep veins (only thing small on me). Sure hope they can get a good one. best of luck to you.

• cmbernardi
    edited March 2013
    Options

@GailAnn,

All the best to you tomorrow Sister Warrior.  The first treatment really is a breeze.  Hugs and prayers coming your way tonight, tomorrow and into the future!

Carolyn

• AnnieLane
    edited March 2013
    Options

My daughter called from Dallas and as we were talking she asked what I did today. I said, among other things, "Well, I drank a lot of water and peed a lot." Embarassed Thanks for your well wishes ladies. I feel as well prepared as I can be and not anxious at all.

• Melrosemelrose
    edited March 2013
    Options

GailAnn- Wishing you an easy time with your first round of chemo.  Just remember that the first round may take longer than the rest of them since you will be learning the procedures of the infusion center and there is the usual blood testing that has to be done before you get your chemo.  You may want to take a sandwich/snacks with you so you can eat if you get hungry.  Do eat breakfast tomorrow morning since any pre-chemo IV drugs that you may get are handled much better if you have food in your tummy.  So don't go to the infusion on an empty stomach.

• cmbernardi
    edited March 2013
    Options

@Starynights,

Best of luck with your first treatment.  We have similar medical problems and I too went without a port for treatment #1 and it was OK.  Do remember to ask about taking Ginger Capsules if you have problems with nausea (500 mg twice daily - 3 days before and 3 days after chemo), if you are getting the shot the next day for WBC building (Neulasta) take a Claritan the day before, day of and 7 days after to relieve bone pain.  I also needed Magic Mouthwash (some call it Miracle Mouthwash) 4 days after my first T/C infusion to relieve the soar throat and mouth sores.  Saw my Oncologist yesterday and got a pain medicine because the Claritan did not work for me.  Hugs and prayers to you.

• AnnieLane
    edited March 2013
    Options

So today I start doing drugs. Never thought it would come to this. Cool

Carolyn, I've taken my ginger caps.

Melrose, I ate my breakfast - high fiber Uncle Sams cereal.

If I feel up to it, I'll work the second half of my split shift, 3-7, so if y'all don't hear from me for awhile, don't worry, it doesn't mean they killed me. Wink

Starynights, we can do this! And about right now, I'm not crazy about my port. I had it put in Friday and I'm still having a hard time finding a comfortable sleeping position.

Later,

Gail