Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

A place to greet and meet newbies to stage III

Options

Comments

• wam
    wam Member Posts: 98
    edited April 2016
    Options

Thank you all for posting! This thread has given me some hope. I am triple positive stage 3c. I had a 5cm IDC and 7 out of nine nodes positive on the right and and a 3cm malignant phylloides tumor on the left. I had a double MX after chemo. The chemo didn't work and the surgeon said I needed alot more treatment. I told the radiologist: "Help me Obi-Wan you are my only hope...". He laughed! I had radiation on the right all over. He also tried to zap a node under the collar bone. Fingers crossed! I am finishing a year of herceptin and I am on letrozole. I got the enjoy each day and travel speech from my oncologist...I guess I just wait. The stats are grim. Is there any other drug that can prevent a recurrence? I am moving on but it has been a challenge. Any suggestions??

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 955
    edited April 2016
    Options

Fraidycat, don't lose hope. There are lots of women with similar stories to yours who are healthy and happy and living long. Here are a couple of ideas that I've stumbled across in the past (almost) five years.

Metformin--some studies have demonstrated a reduced recurrence risk. It's a low cost oral diabetes drug.

Zometa (zoledronic acid) infusions or Prolia (denosumab) injections.

These drugs have been clinically proven to reduce recurrence at least for estrogen-receptor positive BC--I'm not sure about ER negative, but it's worth asking your MO about. And...think of this friggin BC as a big old speed bump. It really jostled up your ride, but pretty soon it will be in your rear-view mirror.

• georgiaredskin
    georgiaredskin Member Posts: 95
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hi everyone,

I just finished my last chemo on 3/31 and have my BMX scheduled for May 5th. I'm grateful to find this thread. I browsed for awhile and have only posted a little. God bless you all in your journeys

• muska
    muska Member Posts: 224
    edited April 2016
    Options

I recently came across a very good website that makes breast cancer trials search easy: Breast Cancer Trials. You can customize your search and it will send you email notifications when a new trial that meets your criteria is added. There are a few open trials for stage III.

• lkc
    lkc Member Posts: 180
    edited April 2016
    Options

hi FC. I know you are scared, but hang on..... I actually had worse prognosticators 12 nodes pos. my sentinel, and axillary nodes were totally replaced by tumor, lymph and vascular involvement, ducts, lobes, infiltrated . Nipple too. her 2 positive and no clear margins after my final surgery Stage III by the skim of my teeth. That was eleven years ago and I am perfectly well.

do not get caught up in your staging. Us stage III ladies get aggressive tx which helps reduce recurrence. Big time.

I echo Elizabeth. Metformin. And Zometa ,

good luck dear, see you on the other side.

• wam
    wam Member Posts: 98
    edited April 2016
    Options

Thank you all for posting! I have been avidly reading all your posts. It was the only way I made it through the last seven months. I feel like I got to know you all through my "lurking".

georgiaredskin: keep posting! These women are the first defense against breast cancer. The internet is scary, confusing and often wrong!

• Pennyk1
    Pennyk1 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2016
    Options

It's such a relief to read about others on the same road as I am. My cancer was stage IIIC, mastectomy with no reconstruction possible, 30 out of 33 lymph nodes cancerous, plus vascular invasion. Surgeon did indicate clear margins after surgery. 6 rounds chemo, 20 sessions radiation, Herceptin 17 rounds, not finished yet, 10 years tamoxifen 6 months in. I get spooked when I think how bad my situation was, but then feel better when I think about returning to work in the fall. Just curious as to how others manage each day and how they look at their future

• Nochemo
    Nochemo Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2016
    Options

hello from the uk.

My dx is I've had surgery to remove my idc plus 3 sentinel nodes. Results. ...all clear margins and nodes clear too and its oestrogen receptive. But....its upgraded to stage 3 16mm and her2 positive. Thats all I know. ..awaiting oncologist appointment. In my mind now....I'm cancer free. Yes said my doc you are but....I recommend chemo then herceptin then rads then hormone therapy. Woah!! Said I!! Overkill? What's chemo zapping if I'm cancer free eh?? Well...there's sign of vascular invasion. And chemo will mop these up and give you better chance of no reoccurrance. As will rads. So says I ...I have to fill my healthy body with poison then....no he said. ...your choice. I wonder if he knew that I know a "secret" questionnaire asked oncologists if they'd take chemotherapy. ....a large percentage said no!

I'm in the no to chemo camp (very contravercial I hear you say...especially in the uk!).

Doc could give me NO guarantees either way with or without chemotherapy of it reoccurring.

I'm yet to see my oncologist. I'm dreading it really as I bet he/she isn't expecting my response. I'd dearly love to hear from anyone who's in my camp. ...they're few n far between in the uk! Surely there's other routes I can take....why o why can't I be given herceptin alone? Isn't there trials of this type? I canf find any in the UK.

Thanks for reading xx I'm 48 by the way.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,034
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hi Tina, welcome to Braestcancer.org. Sorry you are here, but we're happy you decided to join in! We know you'll find lots of answers in this awesome community. Until you hear from members sharing their own experiences, you can read much more about Who Gets Chemotherapy? at the main Breastcancer.org site. Hope this helps! Let us know how you're doing.

The Mods

• JenPam
    JenPam Member Posts: 163
    edited April 2016
    Options

I've finished chemo & rads, and now I'm on letrozole. I'll continue receiving Herceptin infusions for 5 more months. I find that I can now go through an entire afternoon or evening (but not a whole day yet!) without thinking about cancer. It's a start! Best wishes to all of you!

• fightergirl711
    fightergirl711 Member Posts: 190
    edited April 2016
    Options

Thank JenPam, that's great news to hear. I've been getting down lately about Stage III - about the whole thing really. Still so much ahead and it's daunting. Good news is that I only have two rounds of AC left before surgery, which will likely be an ALDS and re-excision. I'll know for sure in a few weeks. Then onto rads. One day at a time I suppose!

• sbelizabeth
    edited April 2016
    Options

Fightergirl, the "one day at a time" philosophy can't be beat. Before you know it this big old speed bump will be in your rear-view mirror.

• georgiaredskin
    edited April 2016
    Options

Thanks Fraidycat! I am very grateful for this forum. I have learned so much from everyone.

Nochemo: I totally get your feelings. If I had my surgery first and they said it was all clear I would feel the same way. I just am so scared of the recurrence rate of Her2 that I am going to do all that was recommended.

I cringe when I think of how close to stage 4 I was when I was diagnosed

• fightergirl711
    edited April 2016
    Options

Thank you sbelizabeth - I read your blog and it's wonderful to read your story.

georgiaredskin I feel the same - too close, and HER2 positive, I don't want any regrets that I didn't give it everything out of the gate. I've been obsessed about recurrence, something I need to talk to my doc about at my next appointment. I think much of it is that my body is finally worn down by the last 14 rounds chemo, and the initial "rah-rah" of "I can get over this!" is getting old. Definitely a slump, but I'm hoping once the SEs from last week's cycle subside a bit more I'll feel better. Spring is here in the Northeast, that helps!

• Valstim52
    Valstim52 Member Posts: 833
    edited April 2016
    Options

Being triple negative and IBC, I felt my only option was the kitchen sink plus some. Surgery first was not an opition. Chemo overall has not been that bad, and I"m done. On to surgery and rads.

I try not to over think recurrence I've had too many friends that started out low stage and had recurrences in a year or two. Then had to go through what I've been through. That keeps me grounded and focused on just living. At least until I hit the dumps.

• live_deliciously
    live_deliciously Member Posts: 183
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hey ladies. I haven't posted rexently because this thread dropped off my favs by mistake. I'm still pretty new as well but I can tell you the dark days do get fewer and fewer and now there are days when it doesn't even cross my mind. I never thought that would happen as everyone said it would and it has. The ladies on this site are amazing and many times know more than the doctors tell you because we have the experience good or bad and share information. I love the new research area. If I didn't follow it i dont know i would feel as hopeful we are closer to fixing this disease. Hang in there and know you can post anything at any time. Whatever it takes to help you through all this. We're all here for each other.

• fightergirl711
    edited April 2016
    Options

Thank live_deliciously! And so true about the depth of knowledge and support on this site, it's amazing.

• pennsygal
    pennsygal Member Posts: 264
    edited April 2016
    Options

Well said, live_deliciously! This site has been a lifeline for me - from dx through tx and now, almost four months post-rads. Welcome to new ladies.

• georgiaredskin
    edited April 2016
    Options

Fightergirl-I feel the exact same way! I keep reading the Stage IV threads to learn more about it and what to watch out for. But I learned there that there are so many that live a long time with it. Before I got diagnosed I always thought Stage IV was an imminent death sentence, and I am in the health field. I will never assume that again. So in that respect, it's good I have learned by reading that thread. And exactly, I didn't want any regrets, and that is why I am choosing a double mastectomy vs a single.

Valstim-surgery first wasn't an option for me either. Good luck with your surgery! Mine is the 5th, I see yours is the 14th. I have rads after as well. We are almost on the exact same schedule!

Live_deliciously-Thank you for your encouragement!

• brandford37
    brandford37 Member Posts: 30
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hey guys I'm newly diagnosed with IDC did my Lumpectomy last Tuesday it went well surgery was 1,2 and I'm out out. We'll yesterday I met with my surgeon for my drain to remove but it was still draining so he didn't remove it next monday I'm going back to remove it, well I'm worried about my results from my sergeon because of my tumor size 3cm and 1/4 lyph nodes my BC is stage 3, grade 3 and now I have to do Chemo and Radiation gonna meet with my oncologist may 3 I just turn 37 with 4 kids 14, 11, 10 and 7 I wanna fight this BC just for my kids they need I love them so much and I'm worried what Chemo gonna do to my body, how I get my body ready for Chemo and Radiation? Can someone please respond to my post.. love you guys

• el_tigre
    el_tigre Member Posts: 453
    edited April 2016
    Options

brandford37

Hi

i was diagnosed @ 36 (last June 2015) and what I did was eat to keep my numbers up. I started with low red blood counts (from surgery & fertility procedures) and they told me that I probably would have to have a transfusion. I ate to keep my red blood counts up and tweaked my diet along the way. I didn't have to have a transfusion (even if it happens it's no big deal they do it regularly) and my numbers stayed pretty steady throughout the chemo. I exercised before all this and did exercise or at least walk for 30 min almost everyday, 5/7 days a week. I think the walking, eating to keep my numbers up , and the anti-nausea drugs really made it a lot smoother than I expected. But everyone is different, the woman next to me on my first day of chemo was going through the same treatment plan and she was having a hard time with it where I was lucky and didn't experience many SE. Drink plenty of water with electrolytes.

I posted and followed the starting chemo in September Board. I foudn it really helpful to post when I was going through it.

• brandford37
    edited April 2016
    Options

Thank you El_Tigre appreciate it

• JerseyGirl22
    JerseyGirl22 Member Posts: 186
    edited April 2016
    Options

Nochemo, I hear you on the no chemo... I didn't want to do it, but surgery before wasn't given as an option. For me, it wasn't great but I got through it. I did BMX, radiation and Herceptin. However, I'm one of those people who had side effects from everyhting and I have them from Herceptin. My onc gave me a break to see how I would be feeling after 6 weeks without the drugs and I've turned a corner on health. I'll be stopping the Herceptin, since I've had 9 months of it, and moving forward. This past week, I've had a major turn in feeling "normal and healthy" again. That has made a world of difference. I've found that a day can go by without thinking about BC. Laughter has returned to my home, and that is huge. I made a decision NOT to get caught up in statistics, recurrence, etc.. I've found that looking to the future and enjoying life a long the way is huge for me.... Each of us has to do what we feel is right for us, and make no excuses, no I'm sorry, just be at peace with our decision and Warrior on!

• sbelizabeth
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hi, Brandford. To respond to your post--I felt the same as you before chemo and rads. Scared of the unknown. I was surprised to learn that for me, chemo wasn't like the movies. My chemo day was Wednesday. I took Thursday and Friday off work, but I really would not have needed to--Thursdays were fine and Fridays felt a little muddle-headed, like I had wet cotton for a brain. By Saturday the chemo-fog was lifting and Sunday was fine. I was always back at work on Monday. Because of the very effective anti-nausea drugs that are given, I never had a moment of nausea. I rode my bicycle a lot and walked a lot. Of course, EVERYONE'S DIFFERENT. Your experience will be uniquely yours.

And hang in there.

• Duzy
    Duzy Member Posts: 65
    edited April 2016
    Options

Jerseygirl22 - glad to hear you have turned a corner and are feeling better. I am right with you moving forward. It is hard but we are right in the thick of getting ready for my daughters wedding so it has helped me move forward. I am so glad you found what was making you have so many side effects and able to change your course and find joy again.

There are so many different pains we feel and who knows what it is from - chemo, rads, surgery, hormone therapy or all combined into one.

Connie

• brandford37
    edited April 2016
    Options

Elisabeth thanks for your response appreciate it. I heard too much bad things about Chemo that's why I'm so scared I need to change my diet. How I get my body immune system read for chemo?

• live_deliciously
    live_deliciously Member Posts: 183
    edited April 2016
    Options

brandford. You can do this! I was scared to death of chemo too. Too many shows, rumors etc. Of how horrible it is. Here's what helped me. I found the current chemo thread and that helped me through it. Look at the thread that is a month ahead of you as well so you know what to expect. The current thread will have people going thru treatments right before you, with your same schedule, and some will be after. It helps you prepare mentally and know what to expect. I am still friends with some of the women as I formed a close bond.. They were there for me.

Take one treatment at a time. Mark each one off your calendar and it helps give you a visual of where you are and what's left. Best advise is Drink lots of water. More than you can stand. Really! It helps get the drugs through your system. As far as food, eat what you want and what helps you get through it. Lose weigjt later. Mashed potatoes and chicken were my favs . Stay on top of the drugs they give you for nausea. Don't wait to start to feel bad, just take them on schedule. And I had lots of problem with constipation so stay on top of the pills to prevent that too. Just remember to look at each infusion as saving your life. You got this.....

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,108
    edited April 2016
    Options

Branford: Here's a list of tips & tricks for chemo. Hope it helps. The other thing that helped me was to join a thread with ladies who were going through the same thing at the same time. Look for a thread something like "Spring Chemo 2016" & maybe read the one just before too. There are also threads specific to the kind of chemo you will be doing. BCO is a wonderful resource.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/69/topics...

• Artista928
    Artista928 Member Posts: 1,458
    edited April 2016
    Options

Brandford, I too skated pretty well through chemo- and I am very out of shape (overweight) and diet sucked and still pretty much does. I'm 3 weeks done now. Protein is important to have daily. If you have to do protein shake to get it down then do it. That's the only thing I upped a lot during chemo and it kept me less fatigued and my rbc counts were all up. Since I had anemia before chemo my onc had me take ferrous sulfate (iron) daily throughout. Hydration is also important.

• sbelizabeth
    edited April 2016
    Options

Brandford, about the immunity thing. Ask your oncologist about this. My own doctor wanted me to stay off supplements except for calcium and vitamin D, and especially avoid any antioxidant or immune system boosters. The idea is to NOT strengthen the cancer cells--so the chemo can more easily wipe them out.

You've heard it before, I know, but the best way to support your system is to sleep, exercise, get some sunshine and fresh air, eat what sounds good, and drink a lot of water. You can do this.