Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

A place to greet and meet newbies to stage III

Options

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,107
    edited May 2016
    Options

Bosum - you're not crashing. Welcome. Hope you'll hang around.

• Jenwith4kids
    Jenwith4kids Member Posts: 216
    edited May 2016
    Options

BosomBlues - what did you learn about metformin? I'm considering asking my doc to prescribe it for me.

• Valstim52
    Valstim52 Member Posts: 833
    edited May 2016
    Options

Just to throw in, I'm on a metformin duo for another condition, (the metformin portion is 1000mg twice a day ) and asked my MO about it.

Said for triple negatives it's not proven, or anyone else for that matter, but lots of people are getting their PCP's to prescribe it. I didn't ask a lot more because I'm already on the trial or experimental dosage that the trials give anyway. It didn't help me with getting breast cancer twice in my lifetime, so for me it's a non issue. I've been on it for years.

Just my personal experience, there are some thoughts on it, on other threads.

• coffee-lover
    coffee-lover Member Posts: 12
    edited May 2016
    Options

hello everyone - I've just found this thread and see a lot of posts about what to eat. I'm on a pretty restricted diet - no grains or dairy due to undiagnosed food allergies. The doc doesn't want me to go thru the tests while battling bc so I'm eating fruits, veggies and chicken/fish plus as much healthy oils as I can. I was doing fine til the mastectomy and now I'm horribly nauseated. Ive only got a day of antibiotics left so I expect some of the nausea to clear up (I am also taking antinausea drugs).

Chemo starts in a couple of weeks and I'm concerned that I'm going to struggle with food. Are there any tips or tricks you can give me? Coconut milk and avocado have helped get me calories but this nausea and dizziness (low blood pressure) are really wearing me out.

Thanks for any help.

• jenni__ca
    jenni__ca Member Posts: 77
    edited June 2016
    Options

i agree momine ... i favored my side for a little over a week after mast and it almost froze up on me .... should have started my 'spider walking up the wall' exercises the next day !

• live_deliciously
    live_deliciously Member Posts: 183
    edited June 2016
    Options

coffee-lover. Are you in one of the chemo threads? That was extremely beneficial for me like a life line. That thread, drinking more water than you can stand and taking the anti nausea meds on schedule even if I didn't feel any nausea. These things were most beneficial to me . we're here for you. You can do this.!

• Bmg
    Bmg Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2016
    Options

hi I have the same I have one more chemo before a lumpectomy ugh

• irb5871
    irb5871 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2016
    Options

I was diagnosed 7-8 weeks ago with Stage III. I have tumors in both breasts and in a matter of 4-5 weeks my lymph node went from testing negative to showing up in my PET scan. I will be having my 2nd of 8 treatments in 2 days. I have A/C for 4 treatments and Perjeta, Taxotere and Herceptin for the other 4 treatments. I am ER, PR +, HER2+ and HER2-. Two weeks after my first treatment my hair started to fall out just like they said. Almost a week later 95% is gone. I'm so glad that I have many friends and family that have rallied around me for support. At first I was sad, then I got mad! How dare cancer rear it's ugly head in my body. You must leave and never come back, in Jesus name, AMEN! I have a great attitude and a smile that reaches your soul, I will not take this laying down, I'm a fighter and I will beat this. I absolutely LOVE my doctors and nurses, I have heard that's very important. Make sure you feel comfortable with them. I was surprised how many women I know that have gone through this and have come out of the woodwork to talk to me about it and want me to ask whatever questions I have. DO NOT GO THROUGH THIS ALONE! There are so many people that care about you, you just have to ask. We are fighters and will win in the end.....Girl power!!!!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,028
    edited August 2016
    Options

Wow, what positive energy you bring irb5871! . Thank you sharing! Your smile is radiating through to all of us!

• live_deliciously
    edited August 2016
    Options

itb. Thanks for your uplifting comments. So glad you got to see the chemo is working. That certainly takes away the unknown feelings we can get when we just dont know if all the stuff we went thru even helped. Way to go! We are here for you.

• ash123
    ash123 Member Posts: 44
    edited August 2016
    Options

What a lovely attitude irb, does make things easier. So glad you have so much support. All the best dear.

• ladyb1234
    ladyb1234 Member Posts: 1,237
    edited August 2016
    Options

Irb, thank you for the uplifting comments and awesome prespective. You are absolutely right we can't walk this journey alone.

Hug

• Valstim52
    edited August 2016
    Options

Welcome Irb, sorry you have to be here, but this is the best place to be. So much support and experience. Gentle Waves to you

• fightergirl711
    fightergirl711 Member Posts: 190
    edited August 2016
    Options

irb5871 You are not alone! Remember that this is a marathon, inner strength is as important as ever, but rely on your friends and family, they want to help, they feel helpless, they want to ease your pain. Let them. Hang in there, we're in this together!

• nayda985
    nayda985 Member Posts: 270
    edited August 2016
    Options

Greetings ladies

I am 34 years old... I was diagnosed 7/26/16..with stage 3...i don't know what category...i will never forget that day.. That's the day my whole world changed.. Never in a million years I thought I would have bc...my naive self thought it was just genetic..no one in my family has it...i cried everyday for the first week.... Hit that denial stage a Lil on week two... Embraced the situation on week 3...i like to control everything but can't control this... But I can and will fight it.

You are right irb...my family and strangers say I'mma keep you in my prayers.. My response is please do b/c I need it... I have never been to the Dr. So much in my life..lol.. Got my port yesterday..start chemo on Friday..i have to do 5 mths chemo... Then surgery.. Then radiation.. Then the hormone blocking pill. .i pray that God continues to give me strength...i have to live to raise my kids and be a wife to my husband.. No one is going to love them like me.

• Valstim52
    edited August 2016
    Options

nayda so sorry you are here, but you are in the right place. welcome

• Tamira-Lee
    Tamira-Lee Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2016
    Options

Hi All,

Brand new to this! I am 29, and found out I am stage III. I was doing TCHP, did 3 rounds but my 3rd round sent me to the hospital so we since eliminated the Carboplatin and now I have 2 more rounds of THP. After this will be surgery then I will finish up with radiation. For being so unlucky with cancer at such a young age, I actually happen to be extremely fortunate. I am taking a break from work, do not have kids or anyone depending on me. I was able to move to the very best cancer center in the US for treatment, and have been able to fly my closest friends and family to see me so I am almost never alone.

The only thing I have to concentrate on is beating this, and though everything else in my life is taken care of the one thing I am really missing is having the connection with others in my position. People that know what I am going through. This week has been exceptionally rough for me depression wise, and I suppose I was hoping to make connections in order to revive my sense of hope. I seem to be continuously having a little pity party for myself. Just one of the things we all have to battle with while we fight this.

Anyway, I am sending positive vibes to all of you, particularly anyone feeling extra sad lately. I know how you feel, and its ok for us to feel like this. Today may be sad, but I am hopefully tomorrow I will feel just a tiny bit happier.

One day at a time. Its all we can do!

Tamira

• Jenwith4kids
    Jenwith4kids Member Posts: 216
    edited September 2016
    Options

Tamira,

I think I'd like to have you for a friend! Hugs to you!

Jen

• diharp
    diharp Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2016
    Options

I think I may have found a home here. Scared and waiting to find out when chemo starts. Any advice here for my first week after chemo to my last?

• fightergirl711
    fightergirl711 Member Posts: 190
    edited September 2016
    Options

diharp it's scary, the anxiety is the worst. Can the docs prescribe anything for this time? Sleep helps.

Some other quick tips - bring a friend to chemo. I found that it helps pas the time, it's a chance to catch up, and it makes them feel helpful. Take ALL THE HELP you can get. Drink a ton of water, you'll want to flush the drugs out of your system. If your mouth becomes sore, vanilla ice cream and Italian ice were my go-to treats. Chocolate just tasted off for me. If there's a show you have been meaning to watch, binge watching ANYTHING takes your mind off things a lot (I got through all 7 seasons of the Good Wife.) Have lots of hats handy - I had my sleeping hat, my morning hat, the hat that didn't make me feel too hot... you catch my drift. Chemo is scary but it's doable. You will most likely NOT get sick, the nausea meds are very effective. Oh and if you can exercise DO IT. Even if it's a walk around the block. Just moving your body will make your body and mind feel a lot better. Hang in there, we're here for you.

• diharp
    edited September 2016
    Options

Hi fightergirl, thank you so much for tips. Yes I am a walker and I am not good at sitting still so I hope this does not knock me to far out of the water..

I am a water drinker so no problem there. I hope this doesn't take my chocolate away, can't do dairy so all non dairy . I found this awesome non dairy chocolate fudge brownie ice cream. Hopefully I can tolerate sherbet for something cold.

Is it true second week is not as bad as first week? Then they take you out again :(

• hopefour
    hopefour Member Posts: 104
    edited September 2016
    Options

Welcome diharp…you sound very courageous for picking up and going to the best place for treatment…be proud of yourself for taking such a bold step!! With chemo there are good and bad days. So when you find how the cycle of chemo affects your days…plan something fun or enjoyable for the good day/days to look forward to between each cycle of chemo!! I always wore a wig…not many do, but I was most comfortable looking most like me. So do what you want and makes you feel most like you through treatment. My best friend loved going bald. Such an individual journey!! And remember you are so not alone and you will get to the other side…sadly there are many of us and were pulling for each other!! Keep us posted!!

• hopefour
    edited September 2016
    Options

oops wrong name..was for Tamira Lee!!

• diharp
    edited September 2016
    Options

Thanks hopefour, I have 2 weeks before chemo starts. It seems like a lifetime to get to this point.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 955
    edited September 2016
    Options

diharp, I think the anticipation of chemo was worse than the chemo itself. I was never nauseated for even a moment. I had a couple of "chemo fog" days with each round, but I worked full time and rode my bicycle a lot. I wore a wig for a couple of weeks and ditched it for hats.

One day at a time. One day at a time. You'll be on the other side of this big speed bump before you know it.

• Tamira-Lee
    Tamira-Lee Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2016
    Options

@Jen - Awesome, I could so use a friend that knows what this feels like! Today was much, much better. I'm still struggling but feeling less sad today. Actually got out the house and went to dinner which was nice. Hugs to you too friend and I hope your week is starting off well!

@hopefour - thank you for your message! I actually just booked three of my closest friends to come stay with me around this time after my next round so I am not alone, trapped in a dark place the next time I feel low. I also made a point to get dressed and put on makeup today and that worked wonders for making me feel better about myself/this situation. I mean really, all we can do is take things one day at a time. It's great to finally make connections with my fellow Warrior Queen's :)

@diharp - so sorry you have to get chemo :( everything fightergirl said is right and my experience, but I would like to add a few things that I really wish I knew. First, when your hair starts falling out, I would recommend shaving it that Day. I got folliculitis and the pain was awful for about 2 weeks. Then I couldn't get my head shaved because of the inflammation. I really wish I shaved it earlier. Secondly, let people wait on you. Just do it!! The people around you that love you and care about you are more than happy to cook you meals, sleep over, run errands for you, buy you groceries or pj's, books, hats, wigs, pick up your prescriptions for you, you name it! I've even had friends rub anti-itch lotion on my inflamed, balding head just to give me relief. Whatever you need, allow someone to get it for you. Lastly and very importantly, communicate every single side effect with your Onc. It's extremely important. Do not suffer unnecessarily. Also, what you may think is not a big deal - like a rash you get one day might be a huge indicator something in your regiment needs to change. For example, it could be hives which means you're showing signs of being allergic, which means the next time you get chemo you could have a severe allergic reaction. I am not trying to scare you hun, I'm trying to avoid you making my mistakes. Had I followed that same advice, I would have prevented myself a completely unnecessary hospital trip. Buy yourself a nice journal, and write your symptoms down every singleday. Best of luck to you and I hope you kick your cancer's butt!!

Tamira

• Lolis
    Lolis Member Posts: 294
    edited September 2016
    Options

Diharp, take the nausea meds as soon as you feel queasy. Make sure you have some prune juice handy and for mouth sore rinse with salt or baking soda. If you have the red chemo (can't remember the name) ask for ice chips when receiving it. Your taste buds might change and eat whatever you can stomach. In my first two chemo I was into mint choco chips ice cream.

In my experience the first chemo wasn't bad but the second one was my worst as the nausea was bad for the 2-3 days after chemo so I was living on toast bread and rice. But everything else was a breeze.

If you are going to take the Neulasta shot there might be some muscle pains associated with it.

Walking everyday will help but don't go too far without a person in case you don't feel well. When you feel that the scalp is achy that's a sign that the hair will fall. I cut mine short before chemo started and then shaved it before my second chemo (I was on every 3 weeks regime). You can use a lint roll to help with the faling hair (after you have shaved it).

Also, if you feel tired and need a nap, do so. It will help with the energy.

Good luck!

• live_deliciously
    edited September 2016
    Options

hi to the new ladies. This too shall pass. Really! Chemo is very scary but you can do this. Be sure to join a chemo thread. It will help you get through it and you will lean on each other. The depression and Anxiety will also pass. It's true what they say that it takes about a year to move mentally forward. I remember waking up at night with panic attacks thinking I'm dying and feeling totally out of control. That hasn't happened for a very long time now. I now cherish each day and work hard on my bucket list. We get it, we've been there, We are here for you . Hugs

• hopefour
    edited September 2017
    Options

Just thought if a newbie stops by that they may need a place to visit!! Always want to welcome a newbie!!

• castigame
    castigame Member Posts: 336
    edited September 2017
    Options

late introduction, 

bilateral stage 1a and 3a, 47, lymph nodes involvement, BMX without recon by choice of course, 8DD chemo, 30 sessions of zapping done yesterday,  a few minor related surgeries to come along  w total hyst. cancer sucks !!!! yes AI sucks!!!! depression sucks!!!!  Celexa and Ativan are  the bombs!!!! facial hair due to lack of estrogen suck  low sex drive suck 

Cancer made me a biatch for sure. I am afraid I may not be happy w work if and when I  go back at all. Doing a lot of soul searching re what I want to do for the rest of my life..