Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

A place to greet and meet newbies to stage III

Options

Comments

• brandford37
    brandford37 Member Posts: 30
    edited April 2016
    Options

Thanks Ladies for encouraging me about Chemo I have to do this for my self and my family I know I can fight this with you ladies that been there and can share your experience with me I appreciate it... my appointment with the oncologist may 3th can't wait to know my treatment plan, my surgeon told me I'm going to do Chemo and Radiation.. I wish the node came back negative but it didn't the surgeon took out 4 and 1 came back positive.. cancer suck.

• brandford37
    edited April 2016
    Options

Thanks Ladies for encouraging me about Chemo I have to do this for my self and my family I know I can fight this with you ladies that been there and can share your experience with me I appreciate it... my appointment with the oncologist may 3th can't wait to know my treatment plan, my surgeon told me I'm going to do Chemo and Radiation.. I wish the node came back negative but it didn't the surgeon took out 4 and 1 came back positive.. cancer suck.

• Lolis
    Lolis Member Posts: 294
    edited April 2016
    Options

brandford37 exercise is good to keep your white cells up. I was 33 when diagnosed and chemo was not too bad. I walked my dog twice a day during chemo. I walked with someone the 2 days after chemo in case I felt faint. Hydration is very important and keep eating whatever you can. I remember after the first chemo all I wanted to eat was ice-cream.

Another thing take the anti-nausea meds as soon as you feel it coming and rest when you needed it.

You can do this!!!

Hugs

• brandford37
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hey Lolis monday after I get take out the drain I'm going to start my exercise and when you mean eat what ever I can, I heard I only suppose to eat green vegetables and drink alot of natural juice avoid regular milk and meat... The surgeon told me because I'm so young I'm going to get strong dose of Chemo and that got me scared the next thing I read on BCO during Radiation you can get burn so bad and I'm so scared I just wanna go in for treatment and came out smooth even if I get 1 or 2 side effects I hope it not that bad, I have to go to work during treatment I'm a single mom with young kids and I have to takes care of them plus I have bills to pay.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 955
    edited April 2016
    Options

Brandford, don't stress about diet. You're going to "hear" a lot of theories during your journey through cancer-land. Most of them are based on myth and Facebook rumors. A balanced diet with fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, healthy fats and proteins, with a very limited indulgence in sweets and empty carbs, is the healthiest way to go. That being said, while you're on chemo, eat what sounds good. Mashed potatoes and ice cream? OK. You won't be on chemo for long, in the grand scheme of things.

I didn't have small children when I was in active treatment, but I did work full time. For me it was completely do-able.

• brandford37
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hello Elizabeth thanks for the reply wish I had the same treatment as you. What were your side effects from Chemo and Radiation ? I wanna no what to expect.

• Valstim52
    Valstim52 Member Posts: 833
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hi brandford37

I just finished my last round of chemo. Though I had mild side effects, I was doable. Was able to cook, go do errands etc after the first few days. I took the anti nausea meds on schedule whether nauseaus or not, and always called my MO when I had something that was not quite right. No need to suffer. As for diet, I love veggies and fruits but found they tasted bitter the entire time. could not eat my favorites at all. had to improvise and yes vanilla icecream was on my list. so had to play it by ear.

• brandford37
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hey Valstim52 how much rounds of Chemo did you do? Well both of us diagnoses similar my tumor 3 cm your a 4 cm 4 nodes took out 1 came back positive and for you they took out 3 and 1 came back positive. I'm hoping I'm as strong as you true chemo cause I'm a active person like do errands go to work I just don't like to stay one place too long.

• sbelizabeth
    edited April 2016
    Options

Brandford, I pulled my treatment list off my signature line because it was getting obnoxiously lengthy...! I had many surgeries for reconstruction--only one of them a big deal--but list seemed to scroll down the page.

My initial chemo was six rounds of TAC (taxotere, adriamycin, cyclophosphamide). It's a very common regimen. My most annoying side effect was constipation. Seriously. After my first round, I wan't able to drop the kids off at the pool for almost a week and I was truly miserable. For the next rounds I was prepared, and started taking stool softeners, miralax, and metamucil a few days before the chemo treatment. I was never nauseated and rarely tired. Occasionally muddle-brained but it didn't last long. The only thing that didn't taste OK was overly sweet stuff, including diet soda. That's a plus--I broke a bad habit and never went back.

My rads were pretty intense due to the way my BC presented. I had daily treatments for 37 days (not including weekends), and each treatment lasted about 20 minutes. Yes, my skin suffered, but the rads "mopped up" whatever cancer cells the chemo and surgery might have left behind. My rads side effects were related to skin issues. Uncomfortable, but not terrible, and worth it (in my opinion).

• Valstim52
    edited April 2016
    Options

I had 4 dose dense Adrimycian and Cytoxan, then 4 dose dense Taxol. Overall I've done well. Surgery (bmx) is next month. Then 33 rads. I had chemo every two weeks since Jan, finishing up April 18.

when I first started I could not imagine just having finished chemo and yet here I am. Someone on one of the threads told me view it as the time length of having a baby. About 9 months. It's about that time, then a few months to get all your strength back. I figure by the time I reach the one year mark from diagnosis, hopefully I'll have some of my stamina back. For me that is the hardest. The fatigue. I still do things, but in small amounts. So I'm taking it a day at a time.

There is always something to worry about once you have BC. At first I was worried about chemo, now surgery, then rads, then scans, is it back, so for me I have to take the here and now approach.

• brandford37
    edited April 2016
    Options

Thanks you so much Elizabeth and Valstim52 I appreciate all your comments it mean so much to me I'm just hoping for the best and I understand everyone's treatment different... #breastcancersuck

• Lolis
    Lolis Member Posts: 294
    edited April 2016
    Options

hi brandford, I meant eat whatever you can keep down during chemo. The tastebuds change from one session to another. Mine surely did and I remember craving the costco french fries so badly this one time and then the next one I remember only eating plain rice. Then another time I ate pasta and cream cheese (I never eat that), I ate close to no meat as I couldn't stand the smell. Hubby would bbq chicken and I was in the end of the house. This happens mostly during the first few days after chemo. It's important to have energy for the reasons you mention that's why you should whatever tastes good. Don't forget the fiber as the meds that you might take before chemo might cause the big C.

The rads were just tiring for me and I found that I needed some naps. You will see the RO on a weekly basis and if the skin is getting bad they might advise something to take care of it.

When I asked my RO about juicing and cleansing after treatment she advised me to wait one month after the last rad. She said not to do any cleansing during the treatments as it is countereffective.

As the other ladies said don't worry about the diet, eat what you can and see what your body accepts and be gentle to yourself.

Hope your treatments are a breeze!!!

Hugs!

• brandford37
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hello Lolis thanks alot appreciate it.... well yesterday I met with my Oncologist doctor and my treatment plan similar to yours I'm starting may 16 on a Monday (Epirubicin + Cyclophosphamide Every 2 weeks × 4 doses) (Abraxane once a week for 12 weeks) then tuesday going back for my Neulasta shot I'm 37 with 4 kids I really wanna have a child for my husband after my treatment can someone share your experience with me I'm so nervous right now..

• LJ2016
    LJ2016 Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi,

I'm Lyn and I was just diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma on May 3rd. Yesterday I had to have some more testing because of the MRI and I had some swelling below my collarbone that I wanted them to look at. By the time I left there I was changed to Stage IIIC because those node were cancerous. On the first biopsy, it was confirmed that the cancer was in my axillary lymph nodes-she said she saw about 8 on MRI, thought she biopsied only one. The ones below my collarbone was confirmed with ultrasound only-she said no need to do biopsy. I'm reeling! I also was told that it's triple negative.

Now the Stephensons Cancer Center in Oklahoma City has presented my case to their tumor board (?) and I'm waiting for them to call to schedule my PET Scan. I have appointments with surgeon and oncologist and will schedule genetic testing too.

Anything else I need to do? Any advise on how to get through these days of waiting

• Valstim52
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi LJ2016

So sorry you have to be here , but welcome I too am Triple Negative, there is a great board that you may want to add to your favorites for Triple Negative. I don't know what I would do without these ladies and gents. It's called, calling all tn's.

Sending good thoughts your way, and as I was advised, take a breath, stay off google, (a lot of the stuff is old) and once your plan is in place you will feel more in control. I am still new to this, but you have started in the right place.

For me the waiting and testing was the worst of it. Chemo was not too bad, because I knew it was killing the cancer. It was part of my warrior package, once you know it gives you power believe it or not. Also, I didn't fight my feelings of being mad, sad, and scared.

• el_tigre
    el_tigre Member Posts: 453
    edited May 2016
    Options

LJ2016

Hi

sorry you have to be here but there are so many great strong women here and lots of information. There is a woman that to me represents we are not our diagnosis. Her screen name is lottanodes. She is a 10+ yr survivor

Lotta NodesDx 11/21/1995, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, 22/23 nodes, ER-/PR-Surgery 11/21/1995 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: LeftChemotherapy 12/26/1995 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil)Radiation Therapy 8/15/1996 Breast, Lymph nodes

• LJ2016
    edited May 2016
    Options

Thanks so much for the encouragement! It feels pretty overwhelming and dark but reading this has lifted my spirits. I appreciate that you took the time to make things brighter for me!

• Valstim52
    edited May 2016
    Options

LJ2016 we are here for you. Sending virutual hugs

• JenPam
    JenPam Member Posts: 163
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi Lyn! I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I was diagnosed nearly a year ago, and I remember the shock, pain and confusion of those early weeks. Please trust that you will adjust to your new reality, and ask for help--both here and from your friends & family. (((hugs)))

• Bonniebreastcancer
    Bonniebreastcancer Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2016
    Options

I am new to this group. It is great to have others to lean on through this hell. I am 36 years old with 3 children 6,8,10. I was diagnosed shortly after my annual mammogram in November with stage 0 DCIS. I had all my scans and biopsys done. I decided on a double mastectomy to reduce the risk of reoccurrence. When I went in for surgery Jan 28 they were shocked to find a 4 cm mass and 9/15 nodes positive. That was the worse day of my life. You go in stage 0 and come out stage 3. I have had my 4 rounds of AC and 2 out of 4 of Taxotere. Everyone keeps saying stay positive but that is so hard when you are getting your butt kicked by chemo. On top of it all I freak out at every ache and pain that the cancer has spread. I just keep praying everyday that this all works and I can watch my kids grow!

• fightergirl711
    fightergirl711 Member Posts: 190
    edited May 2016
    Options

Bonniebreastcancer I'm so sorry. Sounds like we're on the same schedule, so to speak - last December I went in for a lumpectomy at Stage I, came out Stage III. I have two kids - 15 and 9. It's not fair, and it made me question a lot. I also just completed chemo last week, today feeling crummy, low energy and just beat up. But hang in there, THIS IS A PHASE. Together we will get through this. We just have to remember today is not the day. Tomorrow won't be either. Tiny steps...

• Jenwith4kids
    Jenwith4kids Member Posts: 216
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi Bonniebreast and Fightergirl - I too went into this assuming I was stage I and at the end of the dx phase was stage III. That was over two years ago - just chiming in to say that it does get better. I promise. I honestly thought it wouldn't - - it took a long time to get through treatment. I saw a social worker at my cancer center during treatment and then again afterwards when I was upset that I wasn't feeling happier - she told me it could be 18-24 months before I felt like myself - I really wish someone had told me that sooner (not that I would have believed them!). I thought I had to get used to my "new normal" and I did for awhile but got bogged down in mourning my old-self. This past January something clicked - and I realized that all the pieces were coming back into place - cancer is no longer the first and last thing I think about each day, I no longer feel the need to tell everyone I meet, "hey, my boobs aren't real"... I never thought I'd NOT feel uncomfortable. But it happens. I feel better, no, really, I feel GOOD and normal. And you will too. It just takes time.

I'm more than happy to talk to anyone off line... just holler!

Jen

• LJ2016
    edited May 2016
    Options

Tomorrow I have my PET/CT and I'm scared. I am grateful to get it over with, but anxious. Praying for no metastasis and then on to see surgeon on Thursday. Told the people at my work today-it's exhausting. Just needed to say it all.

• Valstim52
    edited May 2016
    Options

LJ2016 in your pocket for your scans. Sending virtual hugs. Let us know how things go.

• Maya15
    Maya15 Member Posts: 112
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi Bonnie, I can so relate to everything you say in your post. I am also 36 and originally they thought it was stage 0 (Paget's disease in the nipple). Then they started doing scans, and more biopsies. And each one they did found more cancer. I thought it was never going to stop. I think my worst day was when they told me it was everywhere in the breast and lymph nodes and now they wanted a PET scan to find out if it was stage 3 or 4. Chemo has kicked my butt also. I had the last one 4 days ago and today I couldn't even go to the corner store without my leg muscles collapsing and breaking out in buckets of sweat. I'm headed for surgery next. I hate it when people tell me to be positive. I'm positive about many things NOT related to cancer. The more I can do to take my mind off it, the better. Hard as they are, I can just about deal with chemo, surgery, radiation, etc. But there's no absolute guarantee even after all this that it won't come back, and the hardest thing for me is living with that fear.

• Valstim52
    edited May 2016
    Options

Maya15 I can relate to how you feel. After all we go through it still may recur for me sooner rather than later.

My story is a little different, I went in with IBC symptoms and a huge lump, they thought I would be what is called stage 4 de novo,which is stage 4 right out of the gate. Thanks to a pet scan it was in "just" in my breast and some nodes, so I was a stage 3b. chemo, now surgery 5/24, then 33 rads.

I was told that if it did not recur within the first 3 years then I go to better statistics. I'm done with statistics. Because for me on the internet they are all bad. This website has saved my sanity because there are real women with the same or worst dx's that are alive and thriving.

Also get tired of hearing how rare IBC is Umm it's not rare when you have it. It's your entire 100 percent.

• LJ2016
    edited May 2016
    Options

PET/CT scan showed no other cancer except in my breast and nodes, which we already knew! Praising God for such great news! Now I'll see the surgeon on Thurs morning and start a plan for treatment. So GRATEFUL! Thanks for the encouragement

• sbelizabeth
    edited May 2016
    Options

LJ, this is HUGE NEWS! Doing the happy dance for you!

• Valstim52
    edited May 2016
    Options

LJ2016 great news!!!

• reniebeanie
    reniebeanie Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hello,

My 50 yo mom had clear and bloody discharge from her left breast, and went in for a mammogram, then a 3D ultrasound, but nothing was seen until she had an MRI. They saw 3 2cm masses, and performed a biopsy that came back with secretory-like findings. Originally, her doctor said it was stage 1, grade 2 and triple neg. He said she had a very good outlook and wouldn't need chemo or radiation, only a lumpectomy. Then he came back and said she would need chemo, and came back again 2 weeks later saying she wouldn't. She just had a double mastectomy 2 days ago. After the surgery, her surgeon came out and said they got all of the cancer and that her outlook with secretory was good. The pathology report just came back today saying that she had 2 tumors in the left breast. One was 0.6 cm and the other was 6 cm. The report says the pathologist found DCIS, cribriform and micro papillary, and secretory types. It also says she is stage 3, and her doctor says she will need radiation or chemo. What I don't understand is how 5 months ago there was nothing on a mammogram, she only had 2 cm masses, was stage 1, and wasn't going to need chemo. Now she has a 6 cm mass, is stage 3 and probably needs chemo. How could they have missed a 6 cm mass? How did it take her doctors 5 months to figure out what was wrong with her? I feel like they have no idea what they are doing, and I need to find her a doctor that has treated invasive secretory carcinoma before. I'll take her anywhere. I don't care if we have to travel to the other side of the country. Any suggestions?