Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

A place to greet and meet newbies to stage III

Options

Comments

• live_deliciously
    live_deliciously Member Posts: 183
    edited September 2017
    Options

hi reba. You are not alone and yes cancer sucks! You have been through so much. There will be good days and bad days, but Soul searching is good. You will find your new normal and life will be good again. We are here for you.

• hopefour
    hopefour Member Posts: 104
    edited September 2017
    Options

Welcome Reba….this is the best place to let the anger, fear and vulnerability be shared. BC is a tough thing to process and live..but it sounds like you're a fighter and will be victorious! Not sure how you feel about exercise but that has been a big part of me getting my mind cleared and handling the Als. I also do an anti inflammatory diet that helps with all the aches and pain of Als. We're thankful you are here and promise the days slowly will get better with less and less set backs!

• castigame
    castigame Member Posts: 336
    edited September 2017
    Options

thank you sisters.

I was able to enjoy a glass of wine for the first time since Jan 2017 last night. Previously all attempts were futile because the moment one sip goes down my brain told me" nonono put that down right now"

Radiation scar is a lot fresher than I would like, I know I should be patient, RO told me 4 wks to heal and I am only 1wk post rads,

I was told I have hemangioma on my elbow. Relieved because it is not a big C. Removal surgery to be scheduled,

At gynosurgeon's office, I heard baby crying and a middle aged Asian women was told to take prenatal vitamin since she is prego. Both brought me tears. I kept asking tech " no baby right" Doc told me fibroids are not big at all. Uterus not big either. She sees no issues. Getting mini lap total hyst instead of DaVinci robotic, Cancelled robotic surgery already,

First thing first colonoscopy and endoscopy here I come and thak you for the water weight loss in the process. 😁 Wednesday!!!

Mimi

• MissNomerz
    MissNomerz Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2018
    Options

First time posting. Diagnosed on May 29th. Had my unilateral mastectomy almost two weeks ago. I haven't seen my oncologist yet. But my pathology reports put me at Stage IIIC. I'm still mostly okay. Scared of chemo but hopeful that modern medicine will work it's magic. :)

• castigame
    castigame Member Posts: 336
    edited July 2018
    Options

missnomerz,

Wish we met under different circumstances.

This is my once poor me story. I was hit w bilateral bombs. Series of serious beatings followed. BMX w no recon, 8 dose dense chemos (no delay last one came one day early) 30 rads, elbow lump removal, colonoscopy and total hystrectomy to top it off.

Chemo sucks no doubt. Remember sleep is your best friend. I voluntarily knocked my self out using Ativan in order to sleep 20 hrs a day. I walked as much as possible when I could. Do not hesitate to ask for pain killers. Water will be your second best friend. Chemo slows kidney quite a bit.

Radiation fatigue was quite unpredictable. Anything you apply to zapped area has to be cold. Your torso would get so hot.

Looking back I am very thankful I stopped the runaway train aka cancer. I am also glad I was able to take all the beatings. After all, I had no other choice.

P.S. Dont forget to ask about lymphedema pump thru your physical therapist.

• jreymamaof3
    jreymamaof3 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2021
    Options

after how long do they check you?

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,107
    edited January 2021
    Options

jrey - what are you asking? How long after what? Check what?

I see this is your first post. It would help if you go to "my profile" and enter your diagnosis & treatment to date so we can better understand where you are. You'll need to make it "public" for BCO members so see it below your posts.

• ab45
    ab45 Member Posts: 153
    edited January 2021
    Options

Newly diagnosed stage 3 as well, starting chemo soon with AC-Taxol regimen, very nervous!! Any tips or suggestions from others with this regimen? Hoping I can still work through chemo

• minustwo
    edited January 2021
    Options

AB45 - sorry you had to join us but welcome. I would suggest you join the current chemo group so you can follow along with others going through the same thing. The January thread is below. I also read the month or quarter before so I could get a longer term idea.

Also below is a link to chemo tips. Lots of good ideas even if you only read the header.

You can do this!!!

Chemo tips

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/69/topics/706846?page=1

Chemo group January 2021

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/69/topics...

• Mememee
    Mememee Member Posts: 33
    edited February 2021
    Options

hi AB45

I am a newbie to stage 3. I see that you just had surgery and are starting chemo. I am scheduled for surgery next week and chemo after a I recover 6 weeks. I am really afraid of doing chemo. How has your chemo experience been so far? I am going to join the chemo group Jan 2021 that MinusTwo suggested.

• ab45
    ab45 Member Posts: 153
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hi

My first chemo is 2/10/2021, I am scared out of my wits , I will be glad to share once I get my first chemo

• juju-mar
    juju-mar Member Posts: 200
    edited February 2021
    Options

AB45, good luck today. It's the unknown that's scary. But as most women experience it, they find it not to be as bad as they had imagined. I just finished #12 treatment yesterday and have 4 more to go. I'm able to work from home 2-3 days a week and pretty much do all of my normal activities. Best wishes to you!

Julie

• ausykaren
    ausykaren Member Posts: 62
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hi AB45,

Don’t be scared of chemo. I was also petrified and was dragged into the chemo room. I barely had a reaction to it at all. The first 4 AC made me nauseous for a couple of weeks but the meds controlled that and the 12 taxol I had no reaction to it at all. All the best.

• hopefour
    hopefour Member Posts: 104
    edited February 2021
    Options

Just an oldie here Cheering you all on!! I am 10 years out and yes Chemo can be scary, but very doable! YOU WILL GET TO THE OTHER SIDE OF ALL THIS TREATMENT and have your life back to a new normal. Drink lots of water, exercise and always have that Happy Spot between the bad days to look forward to! You truly all are amazing a brave just showing up for the battle each treatment....cheering you on to victory!!

Hopefour

• juju-mar
    edited April 2021
    Options

I'm curious what oncotype score your MO used to recommend chemo? Or if that was even a consideration for chemo...Thanks

Julie

• Mememee
    Mememee Member Posts: 33
    edited April 2021
    Options

I was supposed to start my chemo on Mar 24, the doc from Moffitt in Tampa suggested CT instead of AC. I arrived at the hospital and my oncologist finally got my oncotype score back. It came back at 17 and shows that chemo would have a less than 1% effectiveness on my tumor. Now my only treatment option is radiation which I will start next week once my incisions from having my port removed.

• Ptang
    Ptang Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2021
    Options

Hi everyone,

My name is Pauline and I’m a newbie. I was diagnosed in Dec 2020, stage 3, grade 3, HR+, HER2-. I started chemo (AC+T) at the end of 2020, and I have 3 more weeks of Taxol left to go. Surgery is scheduled for 6/29. I wish I found this forum earlier!

As far as chemo go, I think I have more issues with Taxol then AC. For one thing, I had some localized rash and pain during the first infusion, so I was put on 50mg of Benadryl subsequently. It was not fun. Also, my WBC dropped drastically on the 2nd week, so I had to get Zarxio to boost my bone marrow ever since. 2 weeks ago (after #7), I started getting the numbing and tingling sensation in my fingers, and now that has progressed to the toes. I actually used the ice-gloves during AC, but with the problems I had with Taxol and Benadryl, I was so antsy and agitated (ants in the pants), I couldn’t handle wearing the gloves. I finally got the dosage of Benadryl reduced to 25 mg, and the last couple of infusions were much easier. I will wear the gloves again, I wonder if it can reverse the neuropathy. Another issue I am dealing with right now is muscle pain/soreness. I was walking about 1.5 miles a day, but a few weeks ago, I started feeling sore in my quads, as if I had done some intense workout. My muscles are crazy tight! And no amount of rest can make it better. I just have to stop altogether because I simply can’t recover. I just want to get through the last 3 weeks of Taxol at this point. I think the weekly Taxol infusions are much harder on the body then the AC. I did get couple of bad mouth sores during AC, and it was not easy. But because I don’t have a port, getting poked every week is getting to me.

Anyways, thank you for allowing me to vent here

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,514
    edited June 2021
    Options

Old timer here - 15 years since Dx - there are more and more of us stage 3ers who are 10, 15 and more years. Wishing everyone an easy time through your treatments and long life.

• juju-mar
    edited June 2021
    Options

thank you karen1956!

It's so nice to know women are surviving longer and longer, can I ask what treatments you completed for your stage 3A? Thanks.

Julie

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,514
    edited June 2021
    Options

Julie - bilateral mastectomy, TAC chemo, radiation, AIs (quit after 3 1/2 years) and oophorectomy

• muska
    muska Member Posts: 224
    edited June 2021
    Options

Pauline and everyone else in active treatment, hang in there! It will get better.

I am eight years past diagnosis, doing well so far. I am on arimidex (anastrozole) and not planning to quit any time soon.

Best is luck to all

• nancyd
    nancyd Member Posts: 556
    edited June 2021
    Options

AB45, coming in little late here. I hope you're through most, if not all, of your chemo by now. The worst side effects for me were changes in my sense of taste and some constipation. I hope you have moved through the early stages and have cleared your system of the difficult things that make chemo difficult.

• Blinx
    Blinx Member Posts: 82
    edited January 2022
    Options

Popping in to say hi! What a warm and encouraging group! 14 years ago I had DCIS and thought well, that's over with. Then in Nov 2021 was diagnosed with IIIc (right breast) and IIb (left breast), and both axillary lymph nodes. What a mixed bag! 2 of the tumors are TNBC and one is ER/PR-, HER2+. That last bit threw my treatment plan for a loop. I started AC last week; next treatment is 3 weeks from that. Hopefully all will go well. BMX in the spring/summer (with reconstruction, maybe), followed by rads.

I'm taking it one week at a time. I live alone with a small dog who loves going for walks. Luckily we're both old so a short walk is just right for both of us. I've had a few bad days since the 1st chemo, but then today felt perfectly fine! I know not all days will be like this, but it have me hope to have a good day. Work starts again in 2 days... that's another whole challenge, but my boss, et al, are incredibly supportive.

Thank you to all who post here. Its beyond encouraging to read of Stage III-ers who are many, many years out from their diagnosis.

• muska
    muska Member Posts: 224
    edited January 2022
    Options

Blinx, I am sorry you are joining the club again after so many years. Hope chemo goes well.

You are not old at all - not by my standards.

• kotchaj
    kotchaj Member Posts: 210
    edited January 2022
    Options

Hello! I just moved from Stage 2 to Stage 3 after pathology results. Getting ready for my initial radiation appointment this afternoon. Really appreciate all of you sharing that are in this group!

Thanks,

Amanda

• miloames
    miloames Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2022
    Options

Hello, I was diagnosed Stage III last month and had my first of 8 chemos last week. I am nervous because I was told I have a 'mixed bag' of factors. For example, it's grade 1, but could be more resistant to chemo. My oncologist told me if it is, we'll just move right to surgery, but I still want to hear that it's responding well to the chemo. More waiting and trying to be positive for now 🙂 Thanks for listening

• minustwo
    edited June 2022
    Options

Milo - welcome but sorry you have to join us. Sounds like you are not HER2 positive. For that they almost always do chemo first since that type spreads so fast, And sounds like the tumor isn't too big if they're not concerned with shrinking it before surgery. That would be good news.

• windwalker27
    windwalker27 Member Posts: 54
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hello everyone,

I am new here. I have already posted a couple of times asking for an advice. Just want to formally introduce myself. So far I had a unilateral mastectomy (3 cm, hR positive HER-negative, lymph nodes affected). I am starting chemo next week. I am already in love with this forum

• amaryllis99
    amaryllis99 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2022
    Options

I've been lurking for a couple of weeks, but wanted to say hello. I was diagnosed in July at Stage III (don't know if it's officially B or C) and am on round 2 of 8 of AC-T. I'm trying to balance information gathering with not catastrophizing, but am still grateful for the forum and the helpful info I've found!

• minustwo
    edited September 2022
    Options

welcome Windwalker & Amarylls. I still have this thread tagged on my favorites even though my last treatment major treatment was 2014. Wish the thread was more active but glad you're finding information.