Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Comfort dogs

Options

Comments

• shycat
    shycat Member Posts: 45
    edited March 2020
    Options

R.I.P. Lexi, ????? - 3/24/2020

Cancer in dogs is proof enough to me that there is no god.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    edited March 2020
    Options

agree. 💔💔💔💔💔

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,422
    edited March 2020
    Options

💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔

• magiclight
    magiclight Member Posts: 6,656
    edited March 2020
    Options

shycat...a broken heart day...

• Yogatyme
    Yogatyme Member Posts: 1,793
    edited March 2020
    Options

shycat, so sad for you. I think dogs are god.....some dyslexic person got the spelling wrong.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited March 2020
    Options

shycat - So sorry your Lexi crossed the rainbow bridge, especially since our pets are such comfort during these trying times.

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    edited March 2020
    Options

Sorry to hear shycat! Remember all the good times you had with Lexi.

• gmafoley
    edited April 2020
    Options

I was working out in the front garden and planted a puppy. We are thinking of harvesting Hushpuppies in about 8 weeks LOL>

• Yogatyme
    edited April 2020
    Options

lol!! I love how they will lay in the sun and get completely relaxed! Any sunbeam is a day at the beach for them.

• magiclight
    edited April 2020
    Options

Love hushpuppies :)

Any photo's of Dozier awake!! But then again, it is best to let sleeping dogs lie.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,017
    edited April 2020
    Options

This is such a loving sweet thread, with the ups and downs of our four-legged babies, and how they help us. Thank you for keeping this thread going!

• gmafoley
    edited April 2020
    Options

Yep watching daddy rototilling.

• gmafoley
    edited April 2020
    Options

or this one ;) - He does more than sleep

• Yogatyme
    edited April 2020
    Options

he is so handsome!!

• magiclight
    edited April 2020
    Options

GMA...Looks nice and warm by that sunny wall

Rainy day here, so my guy is resting up for his nap later today.

• Yogatyme
    edited April 2020
    Options

magic, what a cutie!!

• gmafoley
    edited April 2020
    Options

What a fuzzy furbaby! - He must be so fuzzy soft!

• doggrooming
    doggrooming Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2020
    Options

I have a shitzu. I think part bull dog..lol she has a broad stance in her front and is bow legged in front. Cut her hair this past week...oh my..not one of my better cuts.

• magiclight
    edited September 2020
    Options

doggrooming: interesting description. I've had a few oops when trimming my poodle, no worries, it can be covid hair Happy

• lovelau
    lovelau Member Posts: 41
    edited September 2020
    Options

I am 72, was DKX at 68. Have yellow carpet and very bad depression I fight si thoughts. Drs tried me on medications which gave me si thoughts had lots of treatments but nothing seems to work. Right now drs gave me klonapin and popronaol for the anxiety and told me to experiment to see what would work. So yesterday I sat at home and felt fine no anxiety or depression. I take a walk every morning and try to do something after that but it’s always a matter of forcing myself.

I have been thinking of getting a dog to see if that could give me something to be more involved in. I have trouble cooking and cleaning get anxious when I try to do any of that. Have very little support system. I went from the person you would call when you needed a pick me up to someone no one calls. I am very anxious and my pcp just said that after they try people on meds that don’t work, they will be a witness and stand by those patients. Not very optimistic. I’m looking for any way to stop thinking so negative and to get back to life with out fear.
    anyone have any good ideas. I am actually living in perserverance not happiness . They say live one minunite at a time, i am greedy I want more. I want to stop thinking about Bc all the time.

Anyone ever down this low and if so do you think a doggie would help me? thanks

Has anyone been this low.

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,150
    edited September 2020
    Options

Hi LoveLau, I am 67, but I had some trouble with depression over the years, particularly when I had breast cancer, which I had twice. I don't know where you live or how often you go outside but I have lymphedema (from 2003 IDC) so I always wear long sleeves and I don't go outside much. I usually walk early in the morning or later in the day. Anyway, years I had my blood tested for Vitamin D at my doctor's request and found out I was deficient! When I thought about my life style, it made sense. My doctor put me on vitamin D3 supplement and wow, did I ever notice a difference! It didn't happen right away, but one day I noticed how my emotional self was so much better. I am usually a positive person, but like you, I was becoming the person no one wanted to be around. When I had ILC in and surgery in early 2019, I asked for a social worker to help me get through my emotional rough spots. Vitamin D was not an emotional "cure all" but I no longer linger in a depressed state and genuinely feel I cope so much better than before.

As for a dog, I say YES! I really want another dog. I was going to adopt a rescue I fostered. Long story but that didn't happen, as the poor dog really needed to be in a home with another dog to learn what being a pet dog was like. There was someone else who wanted this dog who already had the same breed of dog so I gave her up because I knew that is where she belonged. When I had cancer in 2003 my black lab, Maverick, (hence Mavericksmom) was my rock! I had great family support, but Maverick helped me like no one else could! He was constantly by my side.

I think a dog would help you get out, and feel more like your old self. Just knowing you need to take care of this furry friend make one feel needed and loved. That is why therapy dogs are such a help. I say a big YES to getting a dog!

I am going to get a dog too, but I just don't know when as I am back at work in a school and right now I am just praying I don't come down with Covid.

• magiclight
    edited September 2020
    Options

One option that is not risky to the potential adopted dog, because at this time you state that you "have trouble cooking and cleaning" and a dog requires so, so, so much more, is to contact a pet therapy group and start with visits from a dog. In that situation you get what you need from a dog, without requiring the dog to fulfill your needs. Having said that, I realize that at this time with Covid, visits may be limited. Dogs are wonderful and giving, yet they have basic needs, walking, feeding, bathing, poop cleaning up, etc. that require human intervention. Adding those to your basic activities of daily living, may be more than you bargained for with a dog. I hope that in time, as you begin to feel better, and more energetic, you will find just the right furry companion. Please keep us posted.

• nopink2019
    nopink2019 Member Posts: 384
    edited October 2020
    Options
    LoveLau - Hope you are still reading. I'll give you my perspective on getting a dog. They can be wonderful, but they don't come that way. Be ready for work, it can be a great distraction and something positive to focus on. Whether you get a puppy or adopt an older dog, they must get accustomed to you and your preferences. That time training is how they get to love you, follow you and do what you define as "good dog" behavior. We're all different...can it get on the sofa or just that one chair? does it sleep in your bed or a crate in the utility room? does it have a yard to play in or must you give it frequent outdoor time to relieve itself? Group dog training classes, whether puppy, obedience, tricks, obstacle course, etc are all good information and socialization for you & pup. I love dogs and have had one most of my life. The week before I started treatment for MBC an ignorant houseguest took my dog out for a walk without a leash and without asking permission. Got up from my nap and my 11yr old friend was gone forever. I wouldn't go into back yard and spent most of the time in bed, not wanting to live. After 1st treatment, DH came home with a puppy and asked me to try to look forward. I've been a terrible trainer over this past year, just because I've been too tired to focus enough on her needs. But we play fetch alot, she walks on a leash well and sleeps on a pillow or my lap while I watch tv. Not as well trained as my previous pups, but loving, cuddly and devoted to me. The classes I mentioned are all types I've attended with dogs in the past, not for competition, just for bonding and fun. So, read up a bit on getting a dog and even how to train, if you haven't done this in a while. Consider size & breed (tiny dogs can be snappy, big dogs can be too strong, etc).Your pup would love morning walks and another in the afternoon. Sounds like you are ready to provide that, and are looking for motivation. Good luck with your decision.
  • m0mmyof3
    edited October 2020
    Options

Although I miss my beloved Sheltie, I feel he guided me to my new puppy. It’s strange going from a medium-sized dog to a smaller dog but it is just as fun. Finding out new things about my new dog every day.

• gmafoley
    edited October 2020
    Options

Question: Dozer has just started whining - doesn't need out, doesn't need treat , doesn't seem to be hurting anywhere, we had our play time but he stares at me, lays down by me and whines... Have no clue.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    edited October 2020
    Options

Could be start of doggie dementia. Get into vet for check up make sure nothing else going’s on. He’s about 10?

• gmafoley
    edited October 2020
    Options

Yes he is. Oh wonderful.. my smaller dogs didn't do that until 15 or so..

• gmafoley
    edited December 2020
    Options

Why does he always steal my chair after I get up LOL ?

• gmafoley
    edited December 2020
    Options

Why does he always steal my chair after I get up?

• m0mmyof3
    edited December 2020
    Options

My Nugget has developed that habit of jumping in my chair. Have a hard time getting him out of it.