Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Comfort dogs

Options

Comments

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    edited January 2022
    Options

"Dog dementia, also known as Canine Cognitive Dysfunction (CCD), is a cognitive disorder in dogs associated with effects similar to those of Alzheimer's in humans. It's a condition related to the aging of a dog's brain, which leads to changes in behavior and primarily affects memory, learning, and comprehension."

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    edited January 2022
    Options

Two of my past dogs had it. Both were going deaf and blind, old age. They went in circles. Constantly. Until they needed a nap, then would start again. Both became incontentent, didn’t seem to be in pain. Don’t rearrange thefurniture and they will be ok. Until they aren’t, and you will know.

• gmafoley
    edited January 2022
    Options

Yeah, I have been through it before, but Tipper was 17 when she passed. Dozer is big compared to her, so he is 11/12 years old, I know its coming.

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,422
    Options

Nugget is still the happy goofy boy he always has been.

• spookiesmom
    Options

I got a cat 2 years ago, thinking I couldn’t be without a pet after the dogs passed. Spookie HATES the cat. He and Kris were buddies. Kris bit the groomer’s assistant and then me. He also showed signs of dementia and was loosing vision. He went to the bridge last month. Seems empty here, even with the other two. Note the paw on Kris’ nose

• shanagirl
    shanagirl Member Posts: 337
    Options

@spookiesmom (((((((💗))))))) I. Don’t know how I would survive without my animals. I’ve always had dogs cats bird fish horses in my life. I have my 2 little pugs now🐾🐾🩵🩵

• m0mmyof3
    Options

Spookie, so sorry to hear about Kris.

• gmafoley
    Options

@spookiesmom It must be the year for our furbabies. Dozer was in to have fluid drained around his heart and lungs. There was blood in the fluid and they found a tumor/most likely cancer. We brought him home but it doesn't look like we will have him too much longer. He sure is a great companion. Just enjoying him day to day.

• spookiesmom
    Options

awwwwwwwwww GMA, sorry to hear about him. I remember all your stories about him.

• gmafoley
    Options

The vet gave him 2 weeks to live… He is now on week 5… He loves us too much to let go I guess. Enjoying the extra time with him. We are going in for a quality of life check on wednesday.

• gmafoley
    Options

We had to put our Furbaby - Dozer D Dog to sleep this morning. He lost his battle with cancer. He went peacefully, with my hubby and I by his side. We had an appointment tomorrow but started he started to have breathing difficulty today.

• shycat
    shycat Member Posts: 45
    Options

For one of the rare times in my life, there are no dogs in my home. It's been 12 days since a vet came to our home to help our beloved border collie/lab mix over the Rainbow Bridge, her year-long battle with cancer over. I've usually had two or three large dogs at the same time but Marley loved being an "only dog" her last few years, so we didn't adopt another dog when the pack inevitably diminished. The house seems so empty, and the neighborhood walks are lonely and joyless. My heart breaks every time I reach for the doorknob to enter the house, with the crushing realization I won't see her smiling face and wagging tail greeting me. When the tears flow, as they are now, I cry for all my dogs. I miss every single one.

• spookiesmom
    Options

Oh GMA!! I’m so sorry to hear this. It’s so hard, and so empty without them. I’m crying with you. Remember the times he made you smile and laugh. And pull your hair out.

💔💔💔

• gmafoley
    Options

Shycat - we are in the same boat here - Dozer isn't at the door to greet us and he isn't sitting under my desk as I work. But I thank God that he gave us Dozer and now is waiting with all our other rescued pets to greet us when it is our turn. I truly believe that God gave us our pets to show us what unconditional love is. Prayers and hugs for comfort coming your way.

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,137
    Options

gamafoley and shycat, I am so very sorry for your loss!

It has been about 5 or 6 years since I lost my beloved Labrador and our little chihuahua mix furbabies. I am now seriously thinking of rescuing again.

Aug of 22 I was diagnosed a third time with BC. Treatments are completed. I am left with other medical issues, typical of growing older, and the feeling of betrayal from numerous doctors. I feel emotionally wrecked. There is truly something a dog gives that can't be compared to anything humans can do. All my furbabies will forever hold a place in my heart, but now more than ever, I am ready for a new "love on four paws."

I was forced to retire earlier than planned, and my desire now is to get rid of anything in my house that my DH and I don't use or have sentimental attachment to, so I will have to wait a bit to adopt. I KNOW the right furbaby for us will be there when we are ready to welcome him/her into our home.

When our heart breaks from the passing of our beloved furbaby, it makes room to love another one.

• spookiesmom
    Options

I had to send Kris to the Bridge in June. He was daddy’s boy, tolerated me. I had cookies too! Now he’s with daddy. DH didn’t like cats, so after he passed I got a kitten. Thinking that when Spookie goes to the Bridge, I wouldn’t be petless, and cats are easier to care for. No walks, dog park, etc. and when I depart this planet, DD can take cat, she already has 2. Spookie will be 14 on Halloween, and just recently developed something wrong, vet sent out bloodwork to see. I’m on pins and needles over this. I was dx bone Mets the same week Kris left. Tx is kicking my butt, but my critters keep me going.

• m0mmyof3
    Options

So sorry to hear about all the furbabies that crossed the Rainbow Bridge since my last check in.

• gmafoley
    edited December 2023
    Options

We have a new furbaby - After Dozer passed a couple of months ago, I needed a new companion during new challenge with RA. Her nam is Trixie and was adopted from a shelter.

• m0mmyof3
    Options

She’s a cutie!

• gmafoley
    Options

She is a lover, plays hard and is potty trained. She makes me laugh everyday. Thought I would give you all a chuckle. This is how she sleeps.

• m0mmyof3
    Options

Lol

• spookiesmom
    Options

aw, she’s a sweetie. Hope she helps you and you can help her and have a wonderful life.

• gmafoley
    Options

Trixie has learned to fetch and then comes in the house for her ice cube.. She is an ice fiend.

• spookiesmom
    Options

What a sweetie

• m0mmyof3
    Options

She’s gorgeous!

Feeling so bad for my next door neighbor. Their Yorkie got attacked and killed by the dog that lives behind them because the idiot owner wouldn’t fix the hole in the fence that they were told about 4 times because the Pit Mix kept getting into my neighbors yard through the hole. The cops told my neighbors that they can’t remove the dog who killed their Yorkie unless there is multiple complaints against that blasted Pit Mix.

• m0mmyof3
    Options

Feeling bad for my mom and stepdad who had to put their dog down today. He was old and failing in the last few months. He crossed the Rainbow Bridge a little while ago. Mom is dealing with it okay, my stepdad is all torn up though.

• mavericksmom
    Options

m0mmyof3, I am so sorry for the loss of your mom and stepdad's dog. Like any family member, dogs leave a huge hole in the hearts of those who loved them when they cross the Rainbow Bridge.

My dh and I are getting a rescue dog on Saturday. She is a cairn terrier. We met her last week and fell in love with her. Terriers have unique personalities, but having had terriers in the past, we can't wait for her to become part of our family.

• m0mmyof3
    Options

Thanks Maverick, mom wants to get another dog soon. I told her to look at rescues out there to see what’s available

• mavericksmom
    Options

They say when your heart breaks from the loss of your beloved furbaby, that there is more room in it to love another furbaby. I believe that to be true, but I was so upset over the loss of both our beloved lab and our chihuahua mix rescue pup, only a year apart, that it took us 9 1/2 years to be open to another. Well, to be honest, I was open to it a lot earlier, but dh wasn't. I'm sure there is a dog out there waiting for your mom and stepdad to adopt it!

• m0mmyof3
    Options

Tell me about it. We lost our Sheltie in 2019. I wanted to get a new dog a month after he passed, but hubby wanted to wait until Spring the following year. Well then the pandemic came and when we finally started searching some of the rescues wanted you to jump through a million hoops and in the end you might not end up with the dog. So we kept looking and finally in September 2020, happen to go on a rescues page and found our Nugget.