Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any Texas Hill Country BC Warriors?

Options

Comments

• DeliriumPie
    DeliriumPie Member Posts: 1,186
    Options

Hi peachy. I'm sorry you are here but nice to meet you. I'm a Dallas girl too but am getting my treatment in ft worth. I have met with two plastic surgeons. Dr etheridge who does mostly implants but is highly rated and dr hibash who is new to the area but specializes in DIEP, which is my only option. There are a lot of great plastic surgeons in Dallas though. With the whole metroplex in easy reach I think it is worth shopping around to find someone highly recommended and who specializes in reconstruction not augmentation which you will find a lot of in Dallas.

Do you know yet if you will have immediate or delayed?

My bmx is scheduled for Monday. Nervous about that and concerned about my recent ct results that I don't quite understand but trudging along...

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    Options

Welcome Peachygirl - glad you found us, but so sorry about your dx ...ugh c:(

Received tx in CA...didn't know to much so ran to the BC Center and ask to speak with the head of the department. She was so kind and spoke with me gave me a few references ( one was BS that I knew) and invited me to support group that was meeting that afternoon. I gleaned so much from her and the ladies in the support group.

So visit your BC center ask and find out what services they provide and go!

Adjust work schedule...this is too important...you want the best team :)

Sending calm confident thoughts and prayers!

You will be fine brave warrior.

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• howard
    howard Member Posts: 102
    Options

Peachygirl, I just sent you a private message with info about my Dallas doctors. I researched and feel very grateful to God for leading me to this terrific team. I went through all this 2+ years ago and am pleased with outcome.

• rmlulu
    Options

Hi y'all

Yippee! Cooler TX days ...ah:)

DeliriumPie - hope you are healing well and results of path give you a clear plan as you move forward in tx.

Peachygirl - did you get your BC team in place and pressing forward?

Looking for a LE massage therapist in the Austin area...ugh swelling:(

• la4950
    la4950 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hey y'all, just checking in again.  My hot flashes have calmed down a lot, and I am sleeping great now thanks to a prescription of Adavan.  I finished the radiation on my left hip and femur mets last Friday.  I am confident that they are now extra crispy and that the bone can start to heal properly.  We started on the right hip and femur mets yesterday, so we are making progress.  25 sessions there, and then on to the mets on my spine.  In the mean time, I am on Tamoxifen to keep the cancer from travelling around so much, and am hoping it is enough to get me through until we can start chemo.  My onc does not want to start until the radiation is complete, due to the amplified side effects.  Is it odd that I am sort of looking forward to starting the chemo?  I feel it is my best hope for killing off/keeping at bay the thing that wants me to depart much earlier than I am willing.

I am reading a remarkable book right now.  It is called Love, Medicine and Miracles by Bernie Seigal, MD.  It speaks to the body/mind/spirit connection within all of us and the capability we all have of facilitating our own survival.  Highly recommend.  It was given to me by a friend who kicked colon cancer in the ass (pardon the pun) three years ago.

• DeliriumPie
    DeliriumPie Member Posts: 1,186
    Options

Hi Cindy. I am 8 days out from bmx. Doing pretty well, better than expected. The surgeon was pretty brutal with lymph node removal. She ended up with 30 and I look like I fell off the back of a boat and got caught in the propellor. My arm is way more painful than the breast incisions. I did get my drains out yesterday which was great. Not so great that I still had 8 mm of active cells and will have to do more chemo in addition to the rads that were already planned on. Pretty depressed about that. Also pretty down about the state of my chest and recon being so far away.

How are you doing?

• rmlulu
    Options

Hi y'all

LoriAnne - congrats on competing left rads and now healing. May the next set go well. Yippee hot flashes easing and sleep ah zzz. Life is so much brighter with a solid nights sleep.

Bernie Seigal has great downloads to inspire calm on my play list:). Fight on brave warrior...no not odd to say bring it on...every minute of life is so worth fighting for...sending calm confident thoughts and prayers ...lol!

Sheila - breathe! You did it! 10 days out and healing...no drains Ooo who!

Ouch on nodes! Baby that arm and be sure to discuss LE! Give yourself time to heal. You've been through so much, come so far and you have a great BC team. Trust!

Your plan has changed, but it's doable and you will throw everything at the enemy...you are a fierce brave warrior.

Breathe, give yourself time to heal...focus on today...today's blessings...blow some bubbles, wiggle your toes in the grass, put on a girlie girl bling pair of flip flops and be transported...lol!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

This week was drama hubby ER/ICU acute bronchitis acute kidney failure uncontrolled diabetes...ugh! Next week appts every day and a not so willing hubby who's gonna get his ### kicked if he doesn't get with the program ...so porchin enjoying Lake LBJ bonfire tonight...gonna just kick back...breeze waves kissing shore sunset a good calm day!

Life is good:)

• ironmagnolia
    ironmagnolia Member Posts: 6
    Options

Just found this thread of my neighbors! 

I am a 59yo nurse in San Antonio, diagnosed by annual mammo on Jan 31, 2013 initially, then one week later was told I had IDC in BOTH breasts! Lucky me, I won the BC lottery!!

I had BMX with immediate DIEP on Mar 4, 2013 with BS Dr Deberry and PRMA's Dr Chrysopoulo. Lost both nipples but will get some soon, 2nd phase is scheduled for Sept 23rd, then tats in Dec. 

No nodes were involved, so no chemo or rads, I feel very fortunate for that. 

Anyone else a PRMA girl?

• Peachygirl
    Peachygirl Member Posts: 11
    Options

tomorrow will be a week since surgery... Had bilateral mastectomy... Luckily they were able to reach my lymph nodes through my nipple incision so they didn't have to cut under my arms...I'm glad for that bc I feel like I can use my arms better than I thought I would even though I'm very uncomfortable due to drains ...unfortunately I couldn't do a nipple sparing mastectomy because dcis was right under my nipple...pathology isn't complete yet but they are saying lymph nodes are clear(they only took 4 on each side)...and the right side just came back very large amount of dcis... I will find out size and hormone status this week...I feel

like I have so much to be thankful for...as of right now I don't regret my decision to have a mastectomy...it does feel really strange to see the large scar on both sides of my chest when the bandages get changed ...i havent been too emotional though at times I wonder if I will ever feel like myself again

• Peachygirl
    Options

Delirium pie sorry to hear about your arm being so painful and being down about further treatment... Just take it one day at a time... I know there will be a light at the end of this dark tunnel... We Just need to stay focused on getting enough rest, taking our health seriously and allowing ourselves to feel how we feel ...and you know what it dosn't hurt to ask God for help and people who care for help...eventually we will be back better than ever before stronger than we thought we could be :)

• Peachygirl
    Options

La4950... you are an inspiration... I will be praying everything goes well as chemo starts for you... I think you have a great attitude about doing what it takes to get better...praying God will give you the peace he has given me as only he can do :)

• lighthouselady
    lighthouselady Member Posts: 248
    Options

Hi!  I'm not exactly a "Hill Country" girl - I live in Abilene and am seeing doctors in Dallas.  I'm 40 yrs old - diagnosed Aug 1st with Stage 3 IDC (4+cm tumor and 1 pos node so far).  I'm starting chemo most likely this week, then surgery and radiation down the road.  I will be doing my chemo here (can't see driving 3 hours each way for every treatment!), but my surgeon is in Dallas.  I have two kids, 7 and 11, and thankfully they started school today!  Smile

Ironically, my best friend since 7th grade JUST went through this exact same thing last year - stage 3, chemo then surgery and radiation.  We're also both BRCA positive.  I told her I guess I just couldn't let her do anything alone!

• rmlulu
    Options

Hi y'all

Lighthouselady - welcome & glad you found your TX sister warriors! Sorry that you must join us, but we stand strong together. Yippee the first day of school oh the hoopla of it all...yet the routine is welcome. Some me time in a quite house:)

Sounds like you have a big heart and great attitude as you go into battle. Interesting to see if any if the Big D warriors have the same surgeon or medical center. Glad you are able to do some tx in A to reduce the drive across our big state.

Go sip some green tea with your BFF and know that we will be in your pockets!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• mshelton
    mshelton Member Posts: 23
    Options

Hello to all!  

RMlulu--what a week you had.  Hope all goes well with your DH.  You are a inspiration by being so upbeat after the last week that you had.  If you are still looking for a therapist for LE in austin, let me know...I have a friend who knows everyone in town lols  and she owns Oat Hill Healing Arts clinic. If they don't have someone who specilized in this area--I'm sure they know who does.

Iron==prma was not an option for me.  I had to go the expanders route which will be delayed by a few months as i recover by rads.  

Lighthouse-- I lived in Abilene for the 7th grade.   Have driven thru it recently and it sure has changed.  Good luck to you thru chemo.

Peach--the waiting for the results always seem so hard.  And those drains--what a relief to get those out.  Hang in there==it too will past.

I meant to reply to others also but need to get a move on.  back to rads this week for my last 3 of 33 treatments.  I was given a 4 day holiday from rads to allow my rads skin to heal some.   Another treatment out of the way soon.  So excited.  Now to start the estrogen sucking pill.  Should be getting my first shipment this week.  

Marlene

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    Options

ironmagnolia I'm a PRMA girl.  Dr Ledoux is my PS.  I love the staff they have been great.  I had expanders and implants because I was not a candidate for DIEP.

So I'm not really a hill country girl I am south of Austin, but I used to live in the Hill Country if that counts.

• rmlulu
    Options

Hi y'all

Sherryc - my BFF and kayak bud is a Gonzales gal:) yeah prma girl!

Marlene - yippee! Countdown on rads 3, 2, DONE! Bring on Wed :) ring the gong we will happy dance with you! PM LE therapist thanks. Will MO give you a 1 month vacation before HT? Hope so it helped me R&R and clear mind before next step. There's was a shift ...no more active tx...now preventive maintenance...:) though for some recon in the future. Guess goal is to complete all tx in same year for insurance deductible ...

Gonna porch and enjoy the puffy white clouds in the big texas sky!

• braids3
    braids3 Member Posts: 131
    Options

wow here u are Cindy we are suppose to do lunch now that all my rads are done this last cyberknife was the worst yet. I'm so glad i found this thread let me introduce myself i live in Cedar Park was diagnosed nov.2011 stage IV out of the box with brain mets have had 13 cyberknife treatments taxol and have been on xeloda for 16 months my last mri showed no new tumors in my brain and thanks to horrible rads to my breast  my tumor markers are down by 1/2. So I'm a happy camper. Just got back from 4 days at the kerrville wine and music festival great time

would love to meet up with yall

love and blessings chris

• jwoo
    jwoo Member Posts: 931
    Options

Hi Everyone!

While not technically from the HC, I grew up in Cibolo, and now reside in Round Rock. I've spent plenty of time enjoying the HC in my life. :)  Couldn't ask for a better area to be! 

I am currently finishing up my Taxol, and will be scheduled for sugery shortly. I actually have a consult today to find out if I am able to get DIEP recon, so fingers crossed for me please. 

It is nice to see some "local" ladies on the forums, and I agree that if we ever get the chance to meet up, espcially at a run, we should. I think it would be great fun.

Best of health and happiness to you all!

• rmlulu
    Options

Hi y'all

Welcome Braids3 and JWoo!

Hey I'm game to meet up...I35/1431 restaurants or 183 just give a shout out...Monday Fridays best...but flexible.

Chris - congrats on your results:) and fun at Kerrville wine fest:). I'm waiting for a harvest moon and Walburg for a hoot.

JWoo - hope your consult went well fingers&toes crossed for the best.

LA4950 & lighthouse - sending positive thoughts and prayers to you in chemo land...we are in your pockets {{{squeeze}}}

Marlene - post rads happy dance...watch the girl...moisturize her lovingly...mine is peeling again...ha!

Delirium pie - how's the arm?

Shelia - drains out...yippee! Hope you are healing well! And have your plan of attack all in order :)

Peachygirl - a few couple of weeks out. Hope you are feeling good and your BC team reported good results...oh the waiting...I know that I cried after results...think I just held it so long and then tears of joy relief...be kind to yourself.

Iron magnolia - you are inspiration :)

Love the Big TX sky thunder and lightening show the past few nights! and rain:)

Promise of cooler days ahead!

Morning walk done time to clean up and hit HEB...ah the simple things in life!

(((Hugs))) to my TX BC sisters!

Cindy

• braids3
    braids3 Member Posts: 131
    Options

welcome JWoo your really close to me. any day but thursday work for me. can't wait to meet u Cindy u helped me so much during rads thank you!

love and blessing to all

chris

• TXLacrosseMom
    TXLacrosseMom Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hey there Ladies....

I have been getting a ton of info from the forums and found this site which, while not in THE Hill Country, I am in Austin so I hope that helps...

So, I was diagnosed with DCIS in July of this year, had bmx on August 13 with immediate reconstruction tissue expanders. I am 45 and had clear mammos just 18 months ago. Mammo in June showed "area of concern" which led to diagnosis of DCIS with microfoci of invasion and my decision to go full out with treatment as I just didn't want to have to possibly face occurence in right side if I just treated left. Anyhoo.....

I love my surgeon and my plastic surgeon but had to switch my onco after information kept changing with no real explanation as to why. I felt uncomfortable with how I was being treated and found a new onco who I like (so far). Now to my issue that I hope some of you on here can provide insight, comfort and knowledge on.

RADIATION - it is an ugly word, I have nothing in my sentille lymph node and had an anterior margin of 1mm - not as large as 2 but it is also more than a postive margin. My estrogen is under 20% and I have science behind the "no Tamoxifen"decision but I am very pulled on the radiation. Two Rad Oncos are suggesting getting it due to the margin question BUT I had contained DCIS (size was 3.2 cm), skin saving mastectomy (nipple & aereolas removed), and path report states all over it - No Invasive Carcinoma found. 

I do not like the idea of radiation but I like the idea of recurrence even less. I can't seem to find data that shows recurrence rates after bilateral mastectomy from DCIS with no invasion to breast tissue or to lymph node(s). If I had either of those, I would not even question the radiation. I am also confused by the fact the the first onco told me no need for radiation but yes to Tamoxifen; second onco says no to Tamoxifen based on my % but referred my to Rad Onco for opinion on that specialty. The Rad Onco agrees with the no Tamoxifen and strongly suggests finishing my expansions and starting radiation.

So, my fearless new friends, what would you do knowing what you know based on your experience with this friend none of us ever wanted to meet?

I am all ears and am willing to listen. I hate the thought that I will be walking around for the next several months with baseballs as boobs (expanders are the second worse part of this journey) but I have a gut feeling that is telling me I have done as much as can be done and more is just that - more without reason (worth noting, I felt the same way regarding the tamoxifen especially after I learned about estrogen % levels).

I appreciate you all. Peace and love......

• rmlulu
    Options

Hi y'all!

Yippee! Weekend closer and it feels like Fall!

Welcome TXLacrosseMom! Congrats on BMX&TEs...now the next step...decisions decisions. Is there a BC support group at your cancer center where you can share your thoughts? What does your gut say? And have you asked the BC team to have the tumor board review and make a determination...

My anterior margin was less than the 5mm minimum BS wanted. I was told prior to surgery that rads would be needed whether lx or mx...so I was prepared for rads. Yes, recurrence was issue...proximity to chest wall. The Dr who found my IDC did my stereotactic biopsy seem terrified & kept saying so close to chest wall. So his response had my attention.

My rad team rocked and I'm glad I reduced my odds...my goal live well to at least 100:D

HT is a puzzle...thought only needed for ER/PR + ...20% seems low...but HT is doable.

Keep asking until you are comfortable...

Ask impact of rads on your skin and reconstruction.

They have a program that your MO uses to determine your risk benefit of each treatment protocol...I would have a vist.

Rads no tami v no rads tami...

Rads destroys remaining c cells

Tami prevents new cells

Seems like more questions to ask. Hoping you are able to get all your questions answered and have peace with your decision. Sending calm confident thoughts and prayers.

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• jwoo
    jwoo Member Posts: 931
    Options

HI TXLacrosseMom,

I don;t have any insight for you with your rads,except maybe get another (or a few) ONC opinion to see what their ideas are,  but wanted to welcome you and wish you well. It is a hard decision I am sure, but, this and the forums on this site have been pretty helpful for me in many ways. The "search" function is not the best ( or it may just be my chemo brain not using the right words for what I want to find,) but if you keep at it, you may find the guide you need.

Best of Heath and Yoy to you through your journey. We are all here for you.

• keepthefaith
    keepthefaith Member Posts: 856
    Options

Hi ladies,

I am 58, post-menopausal...one of the nice women from the Texas thread pointed me here. I am in Hutto; North of Austin. Not HC, but close to Austin. I was just dx'd on Tuesday. Meeting with oncs on Tuesday. Expecting results from PEM scan on Monday to determine what all is lurking in both breasts that they may not have found earlier. Had BRAC done also. Family history.

So I am Grade 3, aggressive booger. ER+, PR+ (not so strong) and not sure about HER2 yet. I am still reeling and waking up (if I do sleep), thinking this is a bad dream.

TxLacrossemom,

I hope you get the answers you need to your questions. I usually go with my gut and know that I have done the right thing. Of course, I have never faced BC before...sometimes you can over-analyze and become more confused than you were before you started. I hate that your oncs aren't being more consistent. That makes it so difficult for you. I think you need to feel comfortable with your  RO & MO and feel confident with their recommendation before you can move forward. If you aren't comfortable, find another one.  Good luck with your decision.

I hope you ladies can get out and enjoy the great weather this week-end. You are all an inspiration to me.  

HUGS!Kiss

Terri

• mshelton
    mshelton Member Posts: 23
    Options

TXLacrossemom--  I agree that all the decisions during this time are confusing and so very hard.  I'm in Austin, too.  Went to TXO (Texas Oncology) on Balcones (just off of MoPac close to Steck)  My MO is Jane Chawla.  She layed out info in a clear way.  I had 100% er positive so there wasn't a decision there.  Just started the estrogen sucking pill, anastrozole.   My margin was within 0.1 mm  so was not a clear margin (called a close margin), had lymphovascular invasion and multi foci (3 of the suckers) so rads was recommended.  Just completed them at the end of sept.  I found an article on this site called surgical margins.  It won't let me post the http address but just put surgical margins in search and you should find it.  Maybe that info will help.  I can see why you are confused about treatments options.  Maybe you need to ask what your team considers to be a clear margin.  I was told that TXO would consider 1mm or more would be a clear margin. Are there any other reasons the ROs are recommending rads?

Who is your plastic surgeon?  I'm thinking about changing as I don't trust the one who put in my expanders.  

Hi Terri-- I'm 62.  Sorry that you had to join our club.  Hope for the best results for you.  The waiting for results was the hardest part for me.    

Hey Cindy...  I do think we should all meet up one of these days.  My fatigue has  decreased some and beginning to feel like getting out.  No side effects from the pill yet.  (Maybe one night with hot flashes).  

It is a great day weather wise.  We sure needed that rain yesterday.  

• rmlulu
    Options

Hi y'all!

Beautiful harvest moon...over the pacific! Yes, I'm sluming here on Coronado Island...got my GS fix..now the beach! Will do some PT for LE (3rdboob) ugh! Plan to be home soon:)

Welcome keepthefaith...Cabelas sporting goods...ha! Sorry about the dx but glad we can stand with each other in this fight! We will be in your pockets! Don't go anywhere else just stay on this site...no mr goggle!

Yes, let try for a meet up midoctober...a Monday or Friday...either I 35/1431 or I 183/ 1431...

Toss out what works best ...UT & TXA&M good night...hookem!

See y'all soon:)

(((Hugs)))

Hubby ill so returned to Rancho Mirage for his medical team to check him out...

Ok, bonfire time:)

• TXLacrosseMom
    TXLacrosseMom Member Posts: 4
    Options

MShelton -

Thank you so much for the info!! I was at TexOnco but changed to AustinCancerCenters. The team there is so amazing!! I love them all and was actually told at Tx Onco by Onco that I didn't need radiation, just drug therapy BUT the RO there said I should get raditation to cut my 5% recurrence in half. That just seems crazy to me!! Never had a discussion regarding my low estrogen % (My path report said 19). The AustinCancer team is going to present my case to the local tumor board to get all the heads in the room talking and my info was also sent to Duke for input by my RO. Like I said, incredible team.....

My plastic surgeon is amazing. I absolutely love him, his staff, and his sense of humor. If you would like, email me offline at eanaustin@gmail.com - I will happily share more. 

I am leaning more towards no rads right now. The info on left side radiation and heart toxicity is more fearful to me right now. I am a pretend athlete and I know my heart has saved my life twice due to blood loss - I can't even imagine it not working like I'm used to all because I had radiation after a bi-lateral mastectomy. 

I am going to wait to hear from the Tumor Board and have my final fills this coming week and of course, that means three weeks of letting my skin stretch all the way out. I should have a definitive answer on my path by mid October but as the time passes, I will and appreciate all the input from each of the ladies here. I trust the opinion of those who have gone through this a lot more than those who never have and may never.

Peace and Love,

TxLacrosse Mom

• keepthefaith
    Options

TxLacrossemom,

I am going to Austin Cancer Centers also. So far, I have been very pleased as well. The staff sincerely cares about your well-being. I don't have any advice for you, but it sounds like you are going in the right direction.  It's so hard to make your mind work when your emotions want to take over! Wishing you the best in your treatment and decisions!

• keepthefaith
    Options

I think one of the ladies asked about a local support group; my BS office gave me  a booklet from the Breast Cancer Resource Centers of Texas  www.bcrc.org if anyone is interested. I called the number and someone called me back the same day (yesterday-Sat). They have patient navigators to help you with  support, resources, etc. Supposed to be getting a call from one of them tomorrow. They will accompany you to appts, etc if you need them to. The volunteers are all Breast cancer survivors. Another shoulder and hand to hold!Smile 

RMlulu, I hope your hubby is doing better today.

• keepthefaith
    Options

Ladies,

I'm going for a 2nd opinion from an MO. Anyone have any recommendations in the Austin area?
    Thanks!