Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any Texas Hill Country BC Warriors?

Options

Comments

• RHGSR
    RHGSR Member Posts: 179
    Options

I'm on 3 boards and am too tired to write separate things on each board. So I'm copying and pasting but wanted to get an update posted. I apologize for cross posts. 

I started chemo yesterday. I was so scared. The nausea was kind of like I had a stomach bug where you feel really nauseated but can't throw up. It was really bad yesterday. A little better today.  More like a bloaty gassy feeling. Not please t but all tolerable. 

Got the shot this morning of white blood cells that is supposed to cause severe bone pain. I took my Claritin (started Sunday) and am only a little achy right now with some sinus pain / pressure. 

• jwoo
    jwoo Member Posts: 931
    Options

RHGSR-

Hope you are feeling okay and I wanted to give you another tip:  Blackstrap molasses.  Drink 1-2 tablespoons full with milk (or almond or rice milk) and ice every day.  The chemo strips your body (and diet) of everything that helps move waste from your system, and can cause insane constipation and hemorrhoids. Blackstrap molasses SAVED MY LIFE.  I am not kidding here at all. I drank it as my dessert every night and cannot tell you how awesome it is. Briar Rabbit is my favorite.

Everyone else- I hope your 2014 is off to a great start!

• RHGSR
    Options

where do you find that- molasses? HEB? I had 2 terrible bouts with constipation and I certainly don't want to go through that again. 

Thanks for the tip. 

• jwoo
    Options

HEB in the same place all the pancake and syrup is. Sometimes they put it with the baking stuff. 

Occasionally I would mix it with just a tiny bit of coffee to cut the sweetness, but the milk and ice make a huge difference.  

Oh- and you need to melt it in hot water first. Just enough to cover the spoon in your cup. Otherwise it does not dissolve well. 

I was in so much pain I was on the floor crying and trying to not pass out for a couple of days, and started searching for something that was an alternative to taking more medicines. Found it on a few cancer blogs. By the next day it was better, and day 2- it was a miracle.

• RHGSR
    Options

thank you Jwoo !!  That happened with me twice after my BMX and DIEP.  The second time I was in tears and bleeding. It is awful to have to deal with that on top of the cancer and treatments and everything else. I told my husband if it happened a third time I was libel to have a mental break. I will send him to look for that this weekend.  Thank you. 

• jwoo
    Options

You are so welcome.  If you are so inclined and not offended by sailor mouth, I wrote a blog post about it. It has a link to more info about as well. Be sure to get unsulphered blackstrap. 

http://www.super-crush.com/blahblahblah/?p=153

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    Options

welcome rhgsr, glad you got the DIEP behind you and now on to chemo.  Hope it all goes OK I am from Gonzales not far from San Marcos.  Where did you do have your DIEP done?  Always curious what doctors people are using.

• RHGSR
    Options

hi Sherryc! Thanks for the welcome. My DIEP was at St David's in Austin. I got the DIEP done first because everyone was so certain I didn't have node involvement but after surgery they found additional tumors and 3 positive nodes. Not sure how radiation will affect my DIEP. Other than that I've been super pleased with all my doctors. 

I'm scheduled for a LGFB class. I got a call from a lady with the cancer society that got me scheduled in one close to home. If anyone is interested PM me and I'll share her number. 

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    Options

Hi y'all

Welcome, new warriors!  Ooo who it's cold...wish we could store it up for summertime!

LGFB TX beauties...sounds like y'all will be meeting up!  Post a pic! 

JWoo, thanks for sharing the molasses recipe.  

Keepthefaith - Teri sending good vibes.

Braids - hanging in there...hope you are doing well and tx is working.

Trying to recover from flu...who knew...forgot toddlers are walking Petri dish of germs, but oh so sweet...

Chicken soup, warm pjs, fire, tissues...ugh flu shit failed me:(

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• keepthefaith
    keepthefaith Member Posts: 856
    Options

rhgsr, I will probably go to the LGFB class in Austin on Monday. I am thinking of going to my DD's in Buda on Friday as her hubby has to go back to work and her newborn is a wk old; she has an 18 mo old and 5 yr old also, so I'm sure she could use some help...and, I am having withdrawals!

hope you feel better soon, Cindy! Let us know when you are back in TX and maybe we can have a get together again.

jwoo, sherry, hope you are doing well!

I guess I am halfway through my chemo! whoo-hoo! This round has been pretty easy on me; I am so thankful. Trying to stay at home as much as possible during nadir and working on eating better. Next round the 16th.

((HUGS))

• RHGSR
    Options

Keeping the faith - your daughter does have her hands full!! I have 3 little ones (9,5,2) so I know she will appreciate your visit.  We home school so they are always with me :0). I know I appreciate grandma coming over!! Have fun and enjoy those babies :0)

I'll post how the class goes on Friday. I'm excited to see what it's all about. 

I feel good today!! It's seems the fog I've been under since first infusion has lifted some. Fatigue still hanging on but I've been able to enjoy my littles today. Hoping to have a good two weeks before my 2nd AC. 

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    Options

RHGSR I know St Davids is a good hospital.  Not very familiar with the Austin Doctors.  All of mine are in SA.I had most of my surgery at Methodist and they are great.  Hope everyone has been able to stay warm.  I don't do cold very well being in the 20's I felt like I could not get warm.  Glad it has warmed up today, but we have been wet all day here.

The LGFB class should be fun.  I never did attend one.  Mainly because my first BS and MO only told me what they wanted not what I needed.  Needless to say I fired both of them but missed out on some needed information at the time.  I know have great doctors who have been wonderful in guiding me.

Good luck to those of you going through chemo right now.

• jwoo
    Options

Hi all! 

Just checking in. I just forked out some major dough for a bread maker since finding bread that isn't of the sprouting nature (which- I just cannot get used to) that does not have soy is proving to be impossible. I am excited about it as there is nothing better than fresh baked bread for a sammich full of leafy greens! (Except maybe one full of butter or cheese, but I am trying to lose 1 or 70 pounds :)

Navigating around soy is so much work! complain complain!  I never thought I would be avoiding something I love so much. 

And getting back on the treadmill tomorrow. I have been slacking. Cedar and mold have been trying to murder me. Normally, I don't have much of a reaction to cedar, but I guess my body is just worn down from chemo to surgery to tamoxifen. It has been fighting hard and is out of gas. I just want to sleep 24/7

Oh and anyone that tries it- I hope the molasses works for you. I go on about it- but man- night and day difference!!! 

***Question for you all: anyone have a skin sparing delayed recon? My skin is really flaky and dark in some areas now. I am using almond and jojoba oils, and trying to stay hydrated, but can't seem to figure out why it is like that. I don't want that skin to be unhealthy when it comes time for my DEIP. I have been doing some seriously heavy grieving the last few days. I really miss my boobs and while I know the recon won't be anywhere near the same, it will help me mentally more than I care to admit. 

RHGSR- Hope your chemo is going well and you are feeling okay! Remember to keep drinking water!

KTFaith- *highfive* for halfway!!!! woohoo!

Cindy- hope your flu passes fast and you are already on the mend. EVERYONE is getting it. 

Sherry- I have been at Scott and White in Round Rock- Dr Murray is my med onc, but Dr Dauway in Temple was my surgeon. I love them and their staff very, very much.  Dr.Mahabir will be doing my recon. I am looking forward to working with him. 

I guess I should try to see if I can get some sleep now (AHAHAHAHAH!)

Good night ladies and hope to see you all soon!

• RHGSR
    Options

JWoo- thank you for the encouragement. 

Cedar and Mold are killing us too. All 3 kids, hubby and now me. And I've been taking Zyrtec daily since November in hopes to ward it off since I usually wind up with sinus infections. I started up with mild symptoms yesterday :0(. 

• keepthefaith
    Options

good to hear from you Jwoo! I need to start paying better attention to the soy products. I don't eat much bread, an english muffin now and then. Homemade bread sounds yummy! Have you gone to the Livestrong class? I am going to ck that out after TX is over. I sure could stand to lose 15+ lbs myself. I didn't have a MX, but I hope you can find peace with your surgery. I think I would feel the same way.  

My allergies have not been acting up really, until yesterday. It almost seems as if the chemo is drying me up in some way, that I have not been that affected. Normally, I am really sick with them this time of year. My MO told me I can take 24 Claritin and Zyrtec every 12 hrs since they both have different active ingredients. It seems to help a lot. I actually use the generic form of Zyrtec (from Sam's) that is cheaper. Of course, that means we have to hydrate some more, as if we weren't already floating away! I use saline nasal spray when I'm stopped up to help prevent a sinus infection. My MO gave me a RX for Nasonex also, but don't use it often, bc it is a steroid. I also worry about an infection, so am trying to stay on top of it.

I hope you all enjoy your week-end!

((HUGS))

Terri

• RHGSR
    Options

I hate cedar!!! (Yelling this as loud as my stuffed up nose and scratchy throat allows). Do I need to call my MO about this?  Supposed to have round 2 AC a week from Tuesday. As much as I don't like chemo... I don't want any postponed either.  I've taken zrytec daily since November (except the week I took Claritin for the Neulasta) and this weekend is awful. I would rip my nose off if I could. 

• jwoo
    Options

I would talk to your Onc about it, but I would not think that it would delay your chemo. It will just make it more important to hydrate, and neti if you can. Also- wash your face every time you come in from outside, and make everyone in your family do the same. Wear a sweater or jacket and hat you can take off as soon as you walk in the door, or change your clothes. Again, same for everyone in the house. Have pets? wipe them down when they some back inside with a damp towel. If you have a humidifier, use it when you sleep. Have everyone shower before they get into bed. Wear a mask when you go out if it is really bad. And once you are done with treatment, talk to your onc about allergy shots or sublinguals like Allergena, or local bee pollen. 

Cedar is just a part of living in Texas, and even though I seem to be developing  an allergy after living here all but 4 years of my life, I still think they are beautiful. Just do what you can to keep and get the pollen off of you and find out what you can take, and if you are allowed to neti at all. If you are, I suggest boiling your water, mixing your salt, then letting it cool to a good temp, that way any bacteria that may be there is dead, and be sure to sanitize your pot before and after every use. I use a ceramic one, not one of thse dinky plastic ones, so it makes disinfecting it easy. 

Hope you feel better soon!

• rmlulu
    Options

Hi y'all

Ooo who the calm quite of beloved family gone...ha. Now fingers&toes crossed no one left another round of flu...love them.  Today is my last PT for LE...arm is looking better trunk is tender.  See BS for 1 yr anniversary and will ask if the LE trunk is new normal...think so been swollen for a year...just don't want in my arm.

Jwoo - ugh cedar fever:( good advice I'll be the hazmat suit in HEB!  Yummy bread:)

Braids - hang in there! 

Sherryc - great encouragement!  Nice to hear from someone further out on this wild ride,

RHGSR & Keepthefaith - hope LGFB was fun! Livestrong has classes in Austin and online videos. 

Looking forward to warm Springtime Bluebonnets!  May the rain wash away all the cedar. 

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• jwoo
    Options

Hi all!

Getting ready for the crazy weather we will have this week?

Cindy- how is your LE? I hope your 1 year ann. went by without a hitch and the flu didn't make a second round.

How are the rest of you faring right now?

I just started once every 4 days on effexor- super low dose to help with the crying and the night sweats/fatigue. I was actually able to get up today without my alarm going off. I work late and wake up late anyway, so it was nice to be able to get some things done before work. I go tomorrow to get fitted for my LE sleeves and gauntlets. Hoping that I don't get it, or at least am able to recognize it if it starts. I have always been a sweller :) 

Stay warm and don't forget your P's: pets plants, pipes! also- sudden snaps cause animals to get in your engine for warmth- smack the hood or sound the horn before you start your engines!

• keepthefaith
    Options

jwoo, good to hear from you. Had my 3rd TX of TC Thursday. It has hit me worse than the past two. I will be so glad when I am done! I find myself wondering if I can do number 4!  When I am laying awake at night sweating, etc I am not so sure! Is Tamoxifen giving you the SE's? I hope you can stay away from LE, too!

I am hoping to go to Tuscon for my Mom's 80th bday next week. My body better get it in gear soon if I am going to feel like going! Thank goodness, nothing major going on, but all of the minor SE's sure can add up, as you know!

Stay warm ladies!

• rmlulu
    Options

Hi y'all!

Tomorrow see my BS...got a few questions on LE and tenderness under incisions...how long until I can sleep on my belly!  Hope trunk LE is not my new normal, but tomorrow will be officially my 1 yr celebration :) so glad to have a year behind ...

I'm trying to pack the 80 degree sunshine and bring it with me...so if sat&sun are warmer...success :) but please get rid of the cedar...no cedar!

JWoo - whatever it takes for a good nights sleep...I have found that HT gulped around 11 is better than later in day...don't know why.  Yeah, fitting for compression sleeve&gauntlet:)...got a dragon Tatoo :)

Keepthefaith - you are rocking chemo land...so close...bravo:). Hope you are up to moms Bday!  Flying? Wear a sleeve, hydrate, move around.  Teri put it on at least 2 hours before flying...per PT. 

Rhgsr -  hope you are doing well:)

Braids - sending positive thoughts&prayers :)

Perhaps we can all meet up late Feb/early Mar see how your schedules look...I know some will have a break before rads. 

Stay warm...

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• jwoo
    Options

Cindy- where did you get your fun sleeve and did your insurance cover it? I got boring beige ones today- which will be stained by tomorrow, I am sure! There is a reason I wear all black all the time!

• RHGSR
    Options

no one had given me anything regarding LE. I'm going to physical therapy for range of motion stuff. Should I ask my PS at my next appointment?

Sitting in chemo now.  Round 2 AC. Getting premeds...

• rmlulu
    Options

Hi y'all

This site has a store wear you can order LE diva compression sleeves and gauntlets. I did get RX from my team, BC center is where I got measured, fit is important, than purchased at speciality store and now thru this site...all sorts of patterns colors. But the Juzo is best fiord exercise...just stays in place.  Measurements and fit are key!

LE is serious so ask ask ask! Our heat humidity and just being active TX woman who've been thru BC makes LE possible so better to be prepared.  I've had swelling since surgery and never did it calm...got to get under control for kayaking golf tennis and life!

(((Hugs))) for chemo day

• braids3
    braids3 Member Posts: 131
    Options

P and h in cedar park on pammer  is were i get my sleeves so far i got a purple baby blue and green tye dye great folks call me any one who wants to typing is getting easier love to all

• keepthefaith
    Options

Hi ladies, feeling much better today, thank goodness! Thanks for the info on the sleeves. My MO or BS hasn't made mention of LE at all. I have no symptoms, but read up on it more today, so I can be more aware of the possibility. I will actually be taking a train to Tuscon, so won't need the sleeve. I got a sleeper car and although it will take a while, I feel better not being in someones' face while travelling and worrying about getting nauseated. I really wanted to drive, but couldn't make arrangements with someone to go with me.

braids, good to hear from you! I hope you're feeling okay.

rhgsr, you go girl! One more down!

Cindy, it's always great to read your upbeat posts!

It would be great to get together again, soon.

Have a warm and safe week-end~

• rmlulu
    Options

Hi y'all

Teri - enjoy the train trip!  Sleeper car upper or lower fun adventure:) one ricks more cluck crack...enjoy the dining room:) and Bday mom.  Sending calm no SEs for your get away...enjoy:D

JWoo - rock the lymphedivas beautiful statement compression garments :) lol at the double takes of my arm/hand.

Braids - hot in tye dye:))) good to know where to go for fitting 

1yr anniversary appointment today with BS!  Now, just waiting on Junes MRI to get final thumbs up on area 3 o'clock all clear ...squeeze squeeze melin girl is good!

Ok TX warm up no snow! Brrr snow angles tomorrow :D

• keepthefaith
    Options

Cindy, Big Congratulations on your one year! SillyHeart

• jwoo
    Options

Cindy- 

I just started having swelling in my armpit and side-boob- is that considered truncal lymphedema? I left a message with my MO to see if I should go see her first, or find a therapist first. Also- what position do you sleep in? I am all over the place, but if sleeping a particular way might help, I will do my best to stay in that position. 

I don't even know where to go to find a LE therapist :/  Anyone have a recommendation for the Round Rock area?

*%#$!!$%^ it is just one thing after another!

How is everyone else holding up?

• rmlulu
    Options

JWoo -call your MO for a referral to a LE therapist!  St David's has department...not sure which BC center you use but your BC team will refer. Insurance should cover a certain amount of visits.

Breathe!  You can manage this...3X a day elevate your arm so elbow is above heart...I sleep on my back with pillow to keep arm up...then I do MLD 2-3X a day and wear a compression bra and sleeve. Leded DVD exercise for LE. 

Did you do anything different, exercise, lifting, bra cut into area...yeah 20 questions...cut bite BP?

Tonight try a Luke warm shower with a very gentle lite brushing your hand over skin my LE is on left ...so I lightly brush from left to right under breast than across to right a hand width than down next row to pelvic, than both sides semi circles reverse stick em up down the sides, gentle brushing hips to pelvic area, clavicle areas counter clockwise then up neck to ears, down ears to neck, than clockwise, then pump the swollen girl area, than pump the armpit area, very gentle, than pump the inside arm at elbow brush down, brush across chest, chest around girl and under, than down the back and sides and breathe...takes 30 mins in shower...gentle very soft brushing strokes

Your LE PT may suggest something different...this is working for me.

Now breathe, we blow bubbles...your lymph system is just under your skin you want to get it flowing...hydrate cut back on salt and ask fir the referral...did you go to a fitting for a bra? Sleeve? Compression top? Review for triggers...

Sending calming thoughts...

(((Hugs)))

Cindy