Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• jaymeb
    jaymeb Member Posts: 241
    edited November 2017

swg,

So, sorry, I forgot you did say you were having immediate reconstruction. I'm very glad I did it. No regrets on that decision

• jaymeb
    edited November 2017

ruthbru

I know you're ten years out. Do you still have to see your oncologist, or any of the cancer team for follow ups anymore? Are you just seeing your primary physician

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,581
    edited November 2017

I still see my oncologist once a year. I have friends who went through different clinics who were dismissed after 10, or even 5 years. It might be something I'll ask about next spring (or maybe not...I do that appointment and my annual physical 6 months apart, which psychologically makes me feel better monitored anyway).

• PauletteK
    PauletteK Member Posts: 1,279
    edited November 2017

Jay, thank you so much. I’m hanging in there and trying not to over worry. Everyone said chemo is the hardest part , radiation is much easier. I will follow their path.

My sugar level is kind of high right now, I do believe it’s the steroid messed it up. Need to talk to my MO how many months should I wait before I should talk to my primary doctor for blood sugar level. Anyone has any idea?

• Tpralph
    Tpralph Member Posts: 281
    edited November 2017

Paulette i recommend you get an appt now with your PCP and get your blood sugar checked in a week or two if you have not been diagnosed with diabetes. . Do you have diabetes? If so then checked it daily with a glucometer and report to your PCP in a week or two as long as it is not terribly high otherwise let them know now.

• PauletteK
    edited November 2017

Tpralph I’m going to see my MO on Thursday and we can discuss about this issue. I didn’t have diabetes before, with steroid that would massed it up. It might take a short period of time for my body to clear all these steroid.

• jaymeb
    edited November 2017

swg,

I've been thinking of you, and wondering when you meet with your oncologist. I know you said it's this week. If you're ok with it, please keep me posted.

• jaymeb
    edited November 2017

ruthbru

The last several days have been very busy. Well, of course my daughter. I've actually returned phone calls, and texts. I've been out with friends, and started slowly exercising. Also, I'm trying to get things done I've been putting off. My point being that the more I go, and do, I don't focus on me, or cancer. Although it is late now, I've been getting up by 10:30, instead of 1:00, or 2:00 pm. I know to the norm, 10:30 is late, but it's a big step for me. One day at a time. I just hope I can keep confident, and not regress. Thanks for your honesty, and advice

• jaymeb
    edited November 2017

Although, I haven't interacted with NisaVilla, is she still on the forum? Hope all is ok

• Stronghope
    Stronghope Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2017

Hi all, I am 34 and just diagnosed with right IDC last week. The tumor is about 2.5 cm. I have one or two palpable LN on my axillary region. Still dont know how many positive LN I have... waiting for my PET scan. I will be starting my chemo soon. I am going through mixed emotions... Itslike a roller coaster.

• bravepoint
    bravepoint Member Posts: 232
    edited November 2017

jaymeb- I found my own lump. It was at 12 o'clock between my nipple and collar bone. I'm just over a year out and still tired. The days where I keep busier are always better days! Getting out and doing things I used to do with people who may or may not know what my last year has been like is always fun.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,560
    edited November 2017

Strong hope - We're so sorry for the circumstances that have brought you here, but we're glad you've joined us and decided to post. We're sure you're feeling a mixture of emotions, but we're all here to help you! Please keep us posted on how you're doing, and use this community for support and encouragement!

Kind wishes,

The Mods

• ruthbru
    edited November 2017

Good job, Jay!!! I can tell you first hand that NisaVilla is good......a group of us ladies from the 'Let's Post Our Daily Exercise' thread have a yearly meet-up (this was our 7th year), and last week Nisa and I were in Florida with six other ladies from that thread. She extended her stay to meet up with some other old friends. I'll text her to take a break & check in here. Happy

Strong, it is a roller coaster. I think that wrapping your mind around it and getting a plan in place is the worst part. Hugs!

• Tpralph
    Tpralph Member Posts: 281
    edited November 2017

Strong. Welcome to an awesome group of women. Yes. I remember the early days. What a rollercoaster so much anxiety so much fright when u don't know what is going on. I think all of us thought we might not be here a year or maybe even a few months from the date of our diagnosis. I was diagnosed back in March and here I am!. I still have a ways to go but it certainly was much easier once I knew what was going to happen when surgery was going to happen and then whatever plan is in place it will relieve your anxiety by about 50 to 75%so hang in there we're all on your side. Ask away and keep us posted

• AliceAgnes
    AliceAgnes Member Posts: 44
    edited November 2017

Strong, I agree with the others who have said things get better once you have a plan in place. Then you just keep putting one foot in front of another, following your medical team's instructions and asking questions when you have them.

When I look back, I see these as some of the better things I did during my journey with this disease: (1) I focused on the fact that stage 2 cancer is curable. (2) As each new phase of treatment started, I sought information on only that phase. I started with six weeks of chemo, for example, so while I was on chemo, I informed myself only on chemo. I asked questions of my chemo team, read the chemo literature I was given, and spent a lot of time online here at this breastcancer.org site. I only started seeking info on the next form of treatment when nearing the end of the current treatment. (3) I made a list of friends who offered to help and checked that list every time something came up I couldn't handle myself. Sometimes I needed a ride somewhere, sometimes I needed a food delivery because I wasn't up to cooking, etc. (4) I used the local cancer center help line or called my doctor anytime something didn't seem quite right or to check out whether a symptom I was having was something to be concerned about. For example, I experienced vaginal bleeding after my first chemo treatment, but I was assured over the phone that it was nothing to worry about. It never happened again after that first treatment. (5) Whenever I felt sleepy, I slept. (6) Whenever my energy improved, I set small goals for myself, such as using the afternoon to get my laundry done or taking a walk or whatever. (7) During chemo I kept a daily diary of everything I ate and how many meds I took for digestive troubles. This helped me track which foods distressed me so I could stay away from them. (8) During all my treatments--chemo, surgery, radiation, Herceptin infusions, hormonal meds--I followed my medical team's instructions as faithfully as I could.

• PauletteK
    edited November 2017

Strong, be strong, all of the ladies went through this roller coasters emotional journey and we are all here. It is doable and we have many good ladies here to support each other. I keep a journal so I know which day is good day and when is bad days. Also what kind of SE I have so I can look back to prepare myself.

Hugs and prayers to you and everyone

• jaymeb
    edited November 2017
    Stronghope

I love how Paulette expressed, strong be strong. Very true. I'm sorry for your recent diagnosis, however thanks for joining with us. You will get wonderful support, knowledge, and most important, knowing we've been where you are. Also, women who are newly diagnosed, and in the middle of treatments can be very beneficial to you. I was diagnosed in February, and I wish I had known about this forum. Although, I got, and still get support from my family, NOBODY understands truly what you are going through like the women who have gone through it. It is very normal to go through all these emotions, so much is going on. I took one day at a time. If it's ok to ask, are you having a mascectomy? After chemo? Of course, your team of doctors will answer any questions you have. I always asked ton of questions, brought someone with me who would retain the info, as I felt like my mind was everywhere. I will be praying for you, and please stay with us, and let us know what's going on.
  • jaymeb
    edited November 2017

bravepoint

I was out at dinner with a wonderful lady from my breast cancer support group. I asked her if it was normal to still be tired at 9 months out. She said she still has fatigue after 1 and a half years out. But, like you said, it is very fun to get out, and do things. I've even cheated, and had a marguita, well, last night, and wine the last two nights in a row!!!! All in moderation. Love my wine.🍷🍷🍷

• jaymeb
    edited November 2017

ruthbru

Thank you for sharing about Nisa. Glad she is ok. That's great a group of you get together, and meet yearly. Before I joined this forum, I read everyone's experience since this was started by Nisa. It took me a week to go through all the posts. I felt like this forum was the right one for me. I look forward to reading about all of you women's journeys, and posting my responses. I also like we can talk about things other than cancer. What a great forum, and wonderful women

• jaymeb
    edited November 2017

PauletteK

How did your appointment go with your MO

• WinterGal
    WinterGal Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2017

Hello all

I'm Stage 2A just finished chemo about to do rads and tamoxifen can anyone tell me what the side effects for tamoxifen are

• jaymeb
    edited November 2017

WinterGal

Welcome. I've been on Tamoxifen for 6 months. Very little side effects. Just some hot flashes, and moodiness. It does affect women differently, however, for me the pros are way better than the cons. Hope this helps

• stephilosphy00
    stephilosphy00 Member Posts: 161
    edited November 2017

Hi ladies, I take Xeloda for prevention because I didn't get PCR after neoadjuvant chemo (still have one node positive). The following research proves that treating residual disease with Xeloda improves survival for patients with early-stage, HER2- negative BC.

http://www.ascopost.com/issues/december-25-2015/pa...

"At 5 years, the disease-free survival rate (the primary endpoint) was 74.1% with capecitabine compared to 67.7% in the control arm, a statistically significant 30% reduction in risk (one-sided P = .00524). Overall survival rates were 89.2% and 83.9%, respectively, a statistically significant 40% reduction in risk (one-sided P < .01)."

The results seems pretty promising, so I chose to take it!

• OCDAmy
    OCDAmy Member Posts: 289
    edited November 2017

I got my port out today. The doctor asked me what I was doing to celebrate, I said...going to work? I'm a little superstitious I guess, I was thinking maybe I should keep in case I need it again. But no, I'm not thinking that way, I'm not going to need it! I start rads the Monday after Thanksgiving. I'm nervous about it, but ready to get step three over! Anyone have a bolus during rads? I'm hoping it doesn't burn my skin or damage my expander.

• ruthbru
    edited November 2017

I don't know what a bolus is.......

• OCDAmy
    OCDAmy Member Posts: 289
    edited November 2017

I believe it is only used if you are receiving radiation after mastectomy. It's a flat piece of rubber they put on top of your skin. My understanding is that itincreases the radiation dose to your skin and to the tissues right below it.

• ruthbru
    edited November 2017

Ah, I have learned something new!

• PauletteK
    edited November 2017

Hi Jay,

My meeting with MO was good, he got me lined up with my RO next Monday, so I will have consultation next Monday. Am I nervous? Yes I am! I had lumpectomy back in June this year, I think I have clean margins.

Brave - I heard about fatigue could take awhile to get rid of, I was so tired today after lunch with friends. I tried to stay focus and we went out coffee afterwards. So I didn’t have any nap today and I’m hoping I can sleep better tonight.

• legomaster225
    legomaster225 Member Posts: 356
    edited November 2017

I had a bolus everyday for 28 treatments. It was just a wet towel actually. They did not use it for my boosts but I was pretty red and peeling by then. My breast looked bad but it looked worse than it felt. I used a lot of aquafor that month. It healed really quickly though and looks only slightly discolored a month out.

I'm getting my port out on Dec 1. I kind of felt the same way OCDAmy. What if I need it again, I mean it is already in there and it's not hurting anything. All my factors say get it out, you won't need it anymore. I hope they are right but worse case I guess they just put it back in.

• Cpeachymom
    Cpeachymom Member Posts: 249
    edited November 2017

Ocdamy,

I had a bolus during rads, my RO said it is to draw the radiation up closer to the skin. They Wanted to see a skin reaction, I guess that's how they know it's working?? I don't have an expander though, so I can't speak in that.

Ruthbru, a bolus is a pad or cloth type thing they place on top of you during treatment. They used a wet towel for most of mine and a gel pad for my boosts