Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    edited December 2017

Create FileSee comment in PubMed Commons belowSci Rep. 2016 Jan 27;6:19771. doi: 10.1038/srep19771.

Generation of 2,000 breast cancer metabolic landscapes reveals a poor prognosis group with active serotonin production.

Leoncikas V1, Wu H1, Ward LT2, Kierzek AM1, Plant NJ1.

Author information

School of Bioscience and Medicine, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7XH, United Kingdom.
    Oncology DMPK, AstraZeneca, Alderley Park, Cheshire, SK10 4TG, United Kingdom.

Abstract

A major roadblock in the effective treatment of cancers is their heterogeneity, whereby multiple molecular landscapes are classified as a single disease. To explore the contribution of cellular metabolism to cancer heterogeneity, we analyse the Metabric dataset, a landmark genomic and transcriptomic study of 2,000 individual breast tumours, in the context of the human genome-scale metabolic network. We create personalized metabolic landscapes for each tumour by exploring sets of active reactions that satisfy constraints derived from human biochemistry and maximize congruency with the Metabric transcriptome data. Classification of the personalized landscapes derived from 997 tumour samples within the Metabric discovery dataset reveals a novel poor prognosis cluster, reproducible in the 995-sample validation dataset. We experimentally follow mechanistic hypotheses resulting from the computational study and establish that active serotonin production is a major metabolic feature of the poor prognosis group. These data support the reconsideration of concomitant serotonin-specific uptake inhibitors treatment during breast cancer chemotherapy.

PMID:
    PMCID:
    PMC4728432
    DOI:
    10.1038/srep19771
    [Indexed for MEDLINE]
    Free PMC Article
  • marijen
    edited December 2017
  • Tpralph
    Tpralph Member Posts: 281
    edited December 2017

Marijen very interesting article. I think I'll ask my mo about it.good news. My alnd was negative for anymore positive nodes!

• marijen
    edited December 2017

Tp ralph, are your platelets low, in range, or high? I would be interested to know what your MO says. Here is a video of how the platelets “help” the cancer cells:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eSwG5O_kiOQ

• Tpralph
    Tpralph Member Posts: 281
    edited December 2017

marijen, surprisingly my platelets were normal at end of chemo darn it! not sure what they were prior to chemo; however did get a blood clot around picc so I'm thinking they weren't low at any point! hope the chemo and the upcoming tamoxifin will help destroy any other circulating (or at this point no longer circulating) cells

very interesting video and some info a little above me but it does explain why cancer patients are at risk for deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolisms

• jaymeb
    jaymeb Member Posts: 241
    edited December 2017

Hi everyone

For the last two days, I've had pain in my hips, and lower back. It came on suddenly. It's more like a dull ache, not stabbing pains. Of course, my first thought is bone mets. I'm more uncomfortable sitting and laying down. When I'm moving around, it's much better. Could there be many reasons for this? I'm not as active as I should be, and before the pain came on suddenly, I had carried many bags upstairs, and a huge box of cat litter. I am on the tamoxifen, and wonder if joint aches could be a side effect. I've been doing well on this pill. Anyone ever had any dull aches, or joint pain after treatments of breast cancer? I'm somewhat worried. I feel like a big baby.

• PauletteK
    PauletteK Member Posts: 1,279
    edited December 2017

Jay, I didn’t have much pains prior BC, now I have pains on my knees. I need to move it around in the morning, if I sit for long time, I feel the pains on my knees also. That’s all I can say.

• bravepoint
    bravepoint Member Posts: 232
    edited December 2017

jaymeb - I'm the same, achy hips mostly which started with Taxol. Walking makes me feel better so I walk dogs early every morning. I do have new aches from Exemestane but they usually get better as the day goes on.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,581
    edited December 2017

Moving around is the best thing for aches. Of course, if you overdo it, that can make you sore/achy too. The rule of thumb for anything (except, of course, you are in agony, running a high fever or something acute, is to wait two weeks before you even start to think about checking with a doctor. Jay, I would be willing to bet it's from your unaccustomed trips up & down the steps carrying heavy loads.

• marijen
    edited December 2017

MT LEPT says move it to lub it. It has to do with the synovial fluid in the joints.

Tpralph, I’m glad the video was helpful.

• jaymeb
    edited December 2017

Hi ladies

Thanks for your thoughts, and responses. It made me feel better, but my mind still goes to "what if it's this"? Can't help it. I feel like I'm always going to have this dark cloud over my head. Still having the aches in the joints, but today, it eased off a little.

ruthbru

My mother, as well thinks it's my trips up and down the stairs, also in heels, no less. It's funny you mentioned two weeks, and I already had an appointment with my onco on the 18th. Didn't realize it until I looked at my calendar today.

PauletteK

I never had any accute pains before breast cancer as well, so this just scares me some. I will feel better when I see my onc.

bravepoint

I wish I could get up early, maybe I need to trade in my two cats for a dog. Lol. My daughter and I love animals. She would love another cat, and a dog. One of our cats acts more like a dog. She runs out every chance she gets. What breed are your dogs?

Oh, to those of you who have pets, have at anytime they got on your lap, and laid their paw on your chest? My cat does this to me every time I sit on the couch, or lay in bed. This has been going on since my diagnosis. I believe our beloved pets just know their owners.

marijen

Love that, move it to lub it. I have to ask, what is synovial fluid? Never heard of it.

• PauletteK
    edited December 2017

Jay, my dog knows when I’m sad, during the last few months whenever I started crying, my dog will run next to me and look at me or lay right beside me.

How are you feeling today? Is the pains still the same?

• jaymeb
    edited December 2017
    Hey PauletteK

My pain was better today, however, last night was awful. I'm at my mother's house which is two hours away from mine. So, I had to pack in a hurry, always pack too much. I'm on the second level of my complex, so many trips up and down the stairs carrying luggage. My ex-husband always did that. I miss being married, however we get along great. He has been right there for me through my journey, and we've been divorced for four years. Thank you so much for asking. So many wonderful women on this forum. I can gaurentee your dog knows exactly what's going on with you. They are very smart, and perceptive. I've read stories where women who have a dog, or cat gave them signals that something was wrong before they were diagnosed. What would we do without our pets???? On another note, how are you doing? You're supposed to be starting radiation this month. When do you start?
  • jaymeb
    edited December 2017

Molly50

I owe you an apology, and I feel so stupid. I asked you how you were doing on rads, and realized you did that two years ago. So sorry.🤦♀️🤦♀️

• jaymeb
    edited December 2017

🤦♀️🤦♀️🤦♀️

• Hope99
    Hope99 Member Posts: 120
    edited December 2017

How are you sisters? hope all of you will be fine .

I will start chemo on MONDAY, pre-chemo clinic will be tomorrow and really I'm afraid and cry too much . I'm grade 3, IDC, Stage 2A according to my doctor, took biopsy from my auxilary node and doctor told me you have 2 positive nodes with 2.3-2.5 cm tumour. my protocol is FEC 3 cycles, taxotere 3 cycles respectively . there is no much information in this board about FEC's SIDE EFFECT. I have one question in my mind: can Chemo reduce the number of nodes involved from two to one? can chemo reduce the size of tumor effectively? specially I focusing on nodes, because the doctor told me we are alarm if we see nodes involved, may cancer break lymph system and goes to the body through blood, I don't know how much seriously is that!? that's why I'm worry, hope chemo can do that, no ideas :(

why the doctor are worry too much and in the same time he said stage 2A,2B are early-satge in breast cancer? something wrong!!

• bravepoint
    edited December 2017

JaymeB - I have 3 German Shorthaired Pointers, Terra 15 1/2 years, Dante 4 years and Rayne 9 years. They are very high energy so need that walk/run every morning! They were a huge comfort to me during my year of surgery then chemo then rads. Whenever I lay down to rest, they snuggled in tight beside me.

Hope99 - Sounds like you are doing chemo before surgery. I did surgery first. The stage of your 2A or B refers partially to the size and lymph node involvement. The grade tells you how aggressive the tumor is growing. Good luck with your chemo. Drink lots of water and rest when you need to!

• legomaster225
    legomaster225 Member Posts: 356
    edited December 2017

Hope99. Chemo can be very effective. Everyone’s cancer responds differently but I had a positive node pre chemo (confirmed with biopsy) and it was cancer free at surgery. My 3.5cm tumor had only “rare” cancer cells remaining. I was staged as IIB prior to surgery. Don’t give up hope. I hope your chemo goes well. The anticipation is difficult

• Hope99
    edited December 2017

hello Gail,

you are right, chemo first then surgery, this is what the doctor said, he told me I gave you 6 cycles due to nodes involved, two nodes according to biopsy,US and mammogram. how they know by biopsy? I don't know how!

hello legomaster,

how you find a positive node through biospy and nevgative after surgery?! strange, do you mean the chemo kills cancers in nodes and tumour? appreciate your respond dear.

• bravepoint
    edited December 2017

Hope 99 - They can see "suspicious" nodes in an ultrasound. Did they biopsy the nodes? I had a sentinel node biopsy on the morning of my surgery. They also injected a blue dye into the edge of my nipple right before surgery to track any nodes that were cancerous. I had 1 of 5, the closest one to my breast.

• Hope99
    edited December 2017

no Gail, my biopsy not taken during surgery, the doctor used very thin needle to take that biopsy in 15 min . after one week, oncologist doctor told me you have two positive nodes!

• bravepoint
    edited December 2017

Hope 99 - Was the biopsy of the nodes then or the lump?

• Hope99
    edited December 2017

BOTH, FIRTS THEY TOOK FROM LUMP AFTER THAT THEY TOOK FROM AUXILIARY NODE

• OCDAmy
    OCDAmy Member Posts: 289
    edited December 2017

Hope,

I had a lymph node that was enlarged in the ultrasound. It was biopsied along with the lump and they found cancer cells in the node. During surgery I had 13 nodes removed and 2 were positive. By having chemo first they are trying to kill the cancer cells and hopefully when you have suegery the cancer will not be present in the nodes.

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008
    edited December 2017

jaymeb, no apologies necessary. It's a lot of people to keep track of.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited December 2017

bravepoint, I <3 your GSPs!
    I used to have 3 dogs but now I'm down to 1, my old but still active field English Setter.

Dogs are my thing - was doing rescue fostering, and recreational rally O and agility etc. Dh said right away for dx "you're going to need more dogs" lol. But I don't know if it's the right time. Last couple years with losing the other 2 have been hard and the energy/exercise mismatches when you have multiple dogs at various age/health status is hard to juggle. But maybe he's right....

• bravepoint
    edited December 2017

moth - A fellow Canadian and a dog lover! Awesome! Dogs are my thing too. I used to have horses as well but it's easier to take the dogs to competitions than it was to take the horses. I do a lot of agility with my 2 younger dogs and teach it as well. It kept me going last winter when i was going through months of chemo. I have done just about every dog sport there is but now with less energy agility is my focus. I have always had multiple dogs and they exercise each other somewhat when they play. Maybe not the time doe you to get a puppy but there are lots of pointing dogs needing rescued in Canada. Ther is a rescue devoted to them if you want i can dig up the link.

I just looked at your stats. Pretty similar to mine though I see you are newly diagnosed. Feel free to ask any questions.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,581
    edited December 2017

Hope, it's the fast growing grade 3 cells that chemo is the most effective in killing off! So, since you are doing chemo, grade 3 is actually a POSITIVE thing.

• legomaster225
    legomaster225 Member Posts: 356
    edited December 2017

Hope, yes, had biopsy of my lymph node last December. a marker was placed at that time. In June, after chemo that node was one of 4 removed. It had no cancer in it upon removal. The chemo did kill the cancer. The goal for ore adjuvant comes chemo was to clean up the lymph node and reduce the tumor. It was very effective. My cancer on that side was 23%ER/10%PR so I think that helped the response. It was Grade 2, Stage IIB.

The pathology report identified a 3.5cm tumor bed but very sparse living cancer cells remaining. It is kind of comforting to know that the chemo worked well which I guessis one advantage of having chemo prior to surgery.

• PauletteK
    edited December 2017

How’s everyone weekend? Hope everyone didn’t suffer any major SE.

Jay - I started my radiation last Thursday, so far I did two session, 28 more to go. I don’t have any SE for now, I’m praying this will continue this way.

Hope - I had surgery before chemo, also I have 2 positive lymph nodes. I trust my doctors so I just follow what they recommended. This journey is not easy but is doable.