Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• Hope99
    Hope99 Member Posts: 120
    edited December 2017

thanks for responding legomaster, my protocol is × 3 FEC and × 3 taxotere . I've 2 positive node and I read through internet about FEC and who take this treatments. see below:

"FEC is used to treat primary breast cancer – breast cancer that has not spread beyond the breast or the lymph nodes (glands) under the arm. It can be used in combination with other anti-cancer drugs."

I've node! I'm worry, anyone experience something similarly !?

hello paule, I don't know if the AC is similar to FEC ! if similar as I read, how doctor give it with positive nodes?

• OCDAmy
    OCDAmy Member Posts: 289
    edited December 2017

hope, I think that means has not spread BEYOND the lymph node. yours is in the lymph node but has not spread beyond the lymph node

• Hope99
    edited December 2017

OCDAme, how can I know its spread or not to the lymph node? biopsy report for auxiliary node not show more details ! no surgery, I will start chemo first

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    edited December 2017

Hope99, that’s a nice link. What is FEC?

• Hope99
    edited December 2017

Marijen, its treatment protocol, according to the doctor, FEC is big brother of AC protocol. check that link to read more.

• OCDAmy
    edited December 2017

Hope, you posted earlier that your doctor took a biopy of your lymph node and it was positive for cancer. So now they want to give you chemo first to try and kill the cancer and then do surgery to get rid of anything that is still there.

• Hope99
    edited December 2017

you are right, but my question is: Why FEC PROTOCOL ? its written FEC not suitable for POSITIVE nodes.that's why I'm worry dear.

• marijen
    edited December 2017

Thanks Hope, I had to follow the yellow brick road (links). This should make it easier

FEC chemotherapy

In this guide

1. Overview
    2. Who might be offered FEC?
    3. How FEC works
    4. How FEC is given
    5. Common side effects of FEC
    6. Less common side effects of FEC
    7. Sex and contraception
    8. Travel and vaccinations
  • OCDAmy
    edited December 2017

Hope, FEC is for cancer that had not spread beyond the lymph nodes, meaning it is appropriate for cancer IN the lymph nodes but that has not spread BEYOND the lymph nodes like to your bones. So this is a good option for you

• marijen
    edited December 2017

Meeting Coverage > SABCS

Study: Two-Year Extension of Aromatase Inhibitors Is Long Enough

No extra benefit from 5-year extension in breast cancer patients

by Ed Susman, Contributing Writer, MedPage Today December 07, 2017

SAN ANTONIO – Women who took the aromatase inhibitor anastrozole (Arimidex) for an extra 2 years beyond the current standard 5 years of treatment, for purposes of preventing breast cancer recurrence, received the same benefit in disease control as women who took the drug for an extra 5 years, researchers reported here.

Among women who stopped extension treatment with anastrozole after 2 years, 71.1% were alive and free of disease, compared with 70.3% of women who stayed on it for 5 years (P=0.925), said Michael Gnant, MD, of the University of Vienna, in reporting results of the prospective, randomized Austrian Breast and Colorectal Cancer Study Group-16 trial.

In his oral presentation at the annual San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, the only difference Gnant observed was that women who continued on anastrozole for 5 years experienced a slight increase in fracture rates that fell just short of statistical significance – 6.3% of women taking the drug for 5 years versus 4.7% of the women who discontinued after 2 years (P=0.053).

There was no statistically significant difference in overall survival. The overall survival from time to randomization to death of any cause was 85.4% of women who were assigned to the 2-year extension with anastrozole and 84.9% of women who were assigned to 5 years of treatment with anastrozole (P=0.947), Gnant said.

"After 5 years of standard endocrine therapy, 2 additional years of anastrozole are sufficient," he suggested. "There is no benefit of continuing/escalating endocrine treatment beyond 7 years."

Gnant said the study was initiated because even 5 years after endocrine therapy breast cancer still recurs. "More than 50% of breast cancer recurrences occur after the first 5 years of follow-up after initial treatment of breast cancer," he said. "Since the risk of recurrence persists, extending adjuvant therapy is appealing."

Currently, more women diagnosed with hormone positive breast cancer are treated with tamoxifen or aromatase inhibitors for 5 years, but Gnant said the optimal duration of extension beyond that is controversial, and was the aim of ABCSG-16 to define.

The researchers enrolled 3,469 women who were recruited from 75 centers in Austria. All the women had completed 4-6 years of therapy with either tamoxifen or an aromatase inhibitor or both. The researchers assigned 1,731 women to 2 years of treatment with anastrozole and 1,738 women to 5 years of treatment with anastrozole.

Gnant said a deep dive into the data found no subgroup of patients who did better than others, including specific age groups, tumor stages, nodal status, receptor positivity, or previous chemotherapy. Any way the data were sliced, the results were the same – no significant differences between those treated for 2 years or for 5 years.

Gnant and colleagues also examined adherence factors in the trial, but again there was no outcome difference depending on the level of adherence.

What is needed next, he said, "is translational research that may identify molecular characteristics that indicate benefit of prolonged extended therapy."

In commenting on the study, session moderator Carlos Arteaga, MD, director of the Harold C. Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center at the University of Texas Southwestern at Dallas, told MedPage Today, "This was a negative study, with positive news. We should be looking at ways of shortening therapy. We can't just keep extending and extending and extending. We need to come up with better ideas."

"For a long time we have treated too many women for too long a time," Arteaga said. "We should give deescalation of therapy a try at least in hormone-positive breast cancer. In triple-negative breast cancer we are still escalating treatment but it has a very positive result."

However, he cautioned that de-escalation should be performed in the context of controlled clinical trials. "In the process of de-escalating, we may be depriving someone of treatment, so we have to be very careful about that – such as the studies presented today," he said.

• jaymeb
    jaymeb Member Posts: 241
    edited December 2017

bravepoint

Wow, what a great pic. Do you walk them in the evening as well? Terra is 15 1/2? That's pretty old. What is usually the life expectancy for this breed? I do believe when our pets are shown lots of love, and well taken of, they can live a long life. My daughter, and her dad want a German Shepherd. I'm just not sure if she's ready for that. We told her she would have to be disciplined, and walk the dog everyday. I'm sure they keep you busy!!!😀

• jaymeb
    edited December 2017
    PauletteK

Glad you're doing well with radiation. As you know, it's the drive, and prepping that takes so long. I did really well. I had, and still have my expander in. I was worried that my expander might lose it's shape, but it was all good. Are you having any fatigue? My fatigue didn't hit me until the last week, and I did not have much of an appetite. I lost some weight, then all of a sudden that changed. I have cravings all the time. So, the weight started creeping back up.
    Sometimes, I wonder if the tamoxifen contributes to that.
  • jaymeb
    edited December 2017

swg

Been thinking of you, and wonder how you're doing? Hope you're healing well. Have your drain tubes been removed. When you're up to it, would love to hear from you

• bravepoint
    bravepoint Member Posts: 232
    edited December 2017

jaymeb - We do the one long walk every morning, Our back yard is a couple of acres fenced so they play out there during the day. I train the younger 2 in agility so we are usually practicing different things during the day too. Terra is the oldest dog we have had. I think the average life expectancy of the breed is probably 13 years. They do keep me busy but it's s good busy. How old is your daughter? Dogs are a big commitment!

• jaymeb
    edited December 2017

Ladies

I was looking at my pathology report, and it said I had extensive EIC components. What does that mean, and did any of you have that as well?

• jaymeb
    edited December 2017
    bravepoint

Reece is 14, a freshman in high school. She, for the most part is a responsible girl. At my place, we have two cats, Nicole and Mary. Nicole is named after her favorite 5th grade teacher. All through elementary, and middle, she went to Catholic School. When she was in kindergarten, a kitten showed up at her school. In the busy car line, one of the teachers was trying to see if someone would take her. Well, we did. She is now 9 years old, and weighs 24 pounds. Wonderful cat, although she can barely jump up. At her dad's, she just lost her cat a month ago. As you can imagine, she was very upset. Of course, our pets are very much family. Her dad told her if she commits to taking care of a dog, he would consider it. They are looking at German Shepherds. We'll see. Sorry about my essay, I get a little carried away.
  • grandma3X
    grandma3X Member Posts: 297
    edited December 2017
    Jaymeb - EIC is extensive intraductal component. It means there was some DCIS mixed in with your IDC.
  • Hope99
    edited December 2017

Today I did my #1 chemo, FEC protocol, I feel numbness in my both hands, I feel my head is heavy, also I feel a little numbness in my right feet, I think it will start to spread in all legs! I'm scar and feel so bad. also I can not taste well . did the numbness need to call emergency to find out solution?

before two hours I feel plapitation, I used home pressure meter and I foound it 170/100, heart pulses is 120 . the pulses low to 100, but blood pressure is fluctuation. no idea how to do in these side effects sister.

• bravepoint
    edited December 2017

Jaymeb - Now worries about a lengthy post. German Shepherds are big dogs! A 14 year old should be able to handle one with guidance and training classes.

Hope99 - I have no experience with FEC. Did you tell them how you were feeling when you were finished your first treatment? I had a Homecare nurse come to my house the day after my first chemo to check on me and give my Neulasta shot.

• PVM
    PVM Member Posts: 27
    edited December 2017

Hope if your in Canada FEC-D is very common here i did that as well & had 8 positive nodes. I trusted my doctors in what treatment plan i was given. I am now onto radiation which i start on Thursday. With respects to the SE i did not fair too bad, had the usual ones we all have. The bad taste in your mouth will go away after a week or so, it will get better, by the 3rd week you will be feeling alot better then unfortunately you have to get ready for the next dosage but you will know what to expect. Try to drink as much water as possible, if it tastes bad put ice in it found that i drank more when it was colder & lemon. With the numbness if you continue to have that get it checked out, call your oncologist to tell them how you are feeling. Listen to what your body says & rest if you need to rest don't over due yourself. If you are up to it go out for a walk every day helps your body. Stay strong you will get through this, i know its scary, it will get easier.

• pink_is_my_colour
    pink_is_my_colour Member Posts: 265
    edited December 2017

Hope: I finished FEC-D at the end of September. The FEC was easier than the docetaxel for me. I would definitely let your MO know about any side effects you are having. They can always give you extra drugs to help keep them under control. The first time is always the worst because you don't know what to expect. For me the side effects were slightly different with each treatment. However, with that said, I did have a much easier time than most people with chemo. If you look at my profile you'll see I have node positive on the left side and pre-cancer on the right. FEC-D is the standard treatment here in Canada. You'll do okay. It's all pretty scary in the beginning. Just relax, breathe, and let go of the fears.

We're here to help and support each other.

• jaymeb
    edited December 2017

grandma3x

Thank you for responding. You're right, there was DCIS present. I'm just wondering, how does EIC, and DCIS intertwine? I didn't ask my onco too many questions about my pathology report. He just said everything that was on my pathology report was sent to genomic testing, hence, it came back with an onco score of 14. Although I had one lymph node positive, he told me I didn't need chemo. I saw you skipped chemo due to a low onco score. If you don't mind me asking, were you pre, or post menopause at diagnosis? Also, is EIC something I should be worried about? Thanks so much

• jaymeb
    edited December 2017
    bravepoint

My daughter loves the picture of your three " babies". She also likes their names. I'm now wondering how long it will take to break her dad down. Lol.
  • jaymeb
    edited December 2017

Ladies,

Hope you all that are starting treatments, are in treatments, or finishing treatments are holding up well.

• PauletteK
    PauletteK Member Posts: 1,279
    edited December 2017

Jay, since you don’t need chemowhat about radiation? Perhaps you don’t need it also since you had Mastectomy.

• bravepoint
    edited December 2017

jaymeb- LOL I am sure she will wear him down. Just don't get a puppy at Christmas.

• grandma3X
    grandma3X Member Posts: 297
    edited December 2017

jaymeb - I was post-menopause when I was diagnosed.

I'm not sure about the EIC. I think that it means that some of your IDC was actually DCIS, meaning that some of the cancer was contained within a duct and not yet invasive. Let me know what your MO says. To me, this sounds more favorable than straight IDC, but I could be wrong :)

• Hope99
    edited December 2017

The Day #3 of chemo ( FEC ) :

Generally I feel OK, not good, not bad, something in between. the first day is hard to me. I did feel heavy head during and after infusion. Numbness in my both hands made me fear, but the feeling is acceptable generally . also I experienced palpitation in the first day only. taste change and constipation kill me . I do not know how to manage this SEs .

Also I feel tired and sleepy all the time . I need to fight with my children with no reason, my mind not OK .

Now I use "MOUTH WASH ", red bottle, bad taste, gargling then Swallow, not spitting as usual ? its written for external use only but my doctor told me to swallow it!!

My treatment :

- Embed 80 mg .

- Dexamethasone 4 mg.

- Kytril 1 mg.

- Esomeprazole 40 mg . ( for stomach before eat, 1 a day )

- Docusate Na 100 mg .

- Senna 12 mg ( for constipation ) .

- Mouth wash, swallow, not spitting !

most of these treatments make constipation, I can not avoid it . Hope I will find out something help me .

• Hope99
    edited December 2017

Hello bravepoint

No home care in my hospital, I will tell the doctor about that as soon as possible .

Hello PVM

may I ask you please? Why your doctor start chemo before surgery ? how the doctor knew you have 8 positive nodes before surgery ?

generally I feel OK, something in between, Sleeeepy all the time .

Hello pink_is_my_colour

Sound like FEC is manageable and its ok generally? is that true ? I asked my self many times if the FEC is less efficient than AC, thats why American not use it .

• bravepoint
    edited December 2017

Hope99 - HomeCare is like a travelling nurse. Are you in Canada? When you feel sleepy, sleep! I tried to stay awake during the day after my first round of chemo and I felt awful. I then started napping for an hour, awake for 2 hours , napping another hour etc. It was the only way I could make through the first week after chemo. I was on AC not FEC at 3 week intervals.