Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• LibbyLouWho18
    LibbyLouWho18 Member Posts: 37
    edited June 2018

thanks to all of you that posted about your port experiences. My nurse navigator and the dr I saw for my 2nd opinion both suggested it. I didn't even think about future "sticks", but that makes sense too. I'll discuss with my MO again.

SLL-- so excited for you! What a relief!

• SLL101984
    SLL101984 Member Posts: 162
    edited June 2018

Thank you ladies! The weight lifted today is incredible!

• GoKale4320
    GoKale4320 Member Posts: 580
    edited June 2018

SLL101984 - Super news!! So happy for you!

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766
    edited June 2018

Hi, Sisters! I've been reading this thread for many months now. Don't know why I never wrote anything, although I am active in other threads. Well, here I am. Diagnosed at 45 on March 26, BMX on April 25. Today is my second round of AC, and I feel a bit weepy. Put it to my never-going-away-allergy, or to the fact that my vertigo has decided to act up, but I am not feeling very positive right now. It will pass, I am sure, and all of you lovely people are usually doing wonders to my mood with your brave attitude and support. We do have agreat prognosis, right?

Ccmc2, you look great! Congrats on your son's graduation!

SLL, you go, girl!

• nonomimi5
    nonomimi5 Member Posts: 184
    edited June 2018

Inna - Welcome! We have a great prognosis!!! Cheer up. Everything is going to be fine. Hope your round of AC went well.

• jo6359
    jo6359 Member Posts: 1,993
    edited June 2018

Inna- it's okay to feel a bit weepy every now and then. But yes our prognosis is great.

• jo6359
    jo6359 Member Posts: 1,993
    edited June 2018

I would like to share a wonderful experience with you. Today, I ran out of gas approximately 20 ft from the pump. Yes, I've been running on empty for 3 days now but the smell of gasoline irritates me. Of course I did not have a gas container. Being resourceful, I dumped out my cranberry juice and figured I would use that. This particular gas station did not accept credit cards or debit cards at the pump so I had to go inside. The store employee informed me I could not put gas in my container because she could only sell gas if the car is in front of the pump. I attempted to explain to her I ran out of gas approximately 20 feet from the pump. No exceptions to the rule she would not allow me to buy gas. There were two young gentleman who looked really rough pumping gas. I explained my situation to them and offered them my measly $2 to pump some gas in my container. These young men were fantastic. Firstly, they lectured me on approaching strange men in a dangerous neighborhood and that I needed to be more careful. Then they graciously gave me a container of gas and would not accept any money. So I had a fantastic day. Sometimes if you approach situations with humor and kindness It's given back to you in spades.

• nonomimi5
    edited June 2018

jo,

that brought a smile to my face. what a nice story. we need more stories like that. I am so glad you had a great day. little pleasures, little miracles!

• SLL101984
    SLL101984 Member Posts: 162
    edited June 2018

I just found his group a day or so before my first oncology appointment and to my surprise she actually down graded my diagnosis so stage 1a! This however seems to be one of the most active threads so if it’s ok I think I may hang around here still???

• InnaB2018
    edited June 2018

Thanks, guys! The infusion went fine. Turned out that my dizziness after the first one was a SE of olanzapine, which I took at night, as directed. Now it’s off my meds list and I woke up today with a clear head! Whew! Zofran worked just as well. Expecting to lose my hair any day now... it already started falling out elsewhere on my body and definitely thinned a bit close to my part. Well, I guess I am ready for it

• nonomimi5
    edited June 2018

SLL = Welcome and congrats that your stage was downgraded. In my case, I was stage 1 before surgery, but became stage 2 after :( but they are both treatable so grateful for that.

Ina - Glad to hear the infusion went well, and you figured out what was causing the dizziness. You're going to look great with or without your hair my friend. Good luck and will be praying for you.

• InnaB2018
    edited June 2018

Thanks, nonomimi, that’s exactly wat my husband says! But he’s never seen me bold yet, he might change his opinion soon

• nonomimi5
    edited June 2018

well then, you should dump him if he doesn't like it. does he have hair?

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,580
    edited June 2018

I had my hair dresser buzz my hair and walked out of the salon wearing a very cute wig so DH didn't see my bald look until that evening. In an attempt to be nice, he said, "You look cute, you look kind of like Granny Clampett (from the old T.V. show Beverly Hillbillies). I looked horrified, then he looked horrified because his compliment came out totally wrong, and then we both dissolved into hysterical laughter. (Just for the record, I did NOT look cute, I looked more like an escaped convict Shocked).

• ruthbru
    edited June 2018

Stick around, SLL!

I've been on vacation, but want to say that a port is a good idea because you will never want to have blood draws, IVs etc ever again your 'bad' arm, so that means you want to protect the integrity of your 'good' arm as well.

• nonomimi5
    edited June 2018

Ruthbru - you are so cute!

• ruthbru
    edited June 2018

Having a rather warped sense of humor is helpful in getting through unpleasant situations!Winking

• InnaB2018
    edited June 2018

I will never dump my husband, I am just not looking forward for him to see me bald! He already nursed me through three very difficult surgeries plus this recent cancer nightmare. He’s more prepared for everything than I am. And yes, he has a small bald spot himself 😋. Everybody likes my wig and chemo hats though, so it might be ok. Losing pubic hair is a little creepy, considering how much money I spent trying to get rid of it. That one I am willing to part with, it’s just feels weird to find the clumps in the toilet bowl.

• nonomimi5
    edited June 2018

Inna - Your husband is going to love you no matter what....maybe even more with the bald pubic part!

Shocked

Have fun reinventing yourself with the wigs and hats! Enjoy your weekend

• cccmc2
    cccmc2 Member Posts: 102
    edited June 2018

does anyone know the protocol for getting radiation? I’m not sure why I’m not getting it. Dr says I don’t need it, but I see other stage 2a/b getting it. I need to ask more questions next time! Not that I’m wishong for it, but I want to have all possible treatments if they are deemed effective/hellful

• ruthbru
    edited June 2018

If you have a lumpectomy, radiation is a must. If you have a mastectomy you often can skip radiation depending on the tumor size, how close it was to the chest wall, lymph node involvement etc.

• SCGirl50
    SCGirl50 Member Posts: 30
    edited June 2018

cccmc2 I only had radiation on the side with lymph node involvement even though I had cancer in both breasts.

• cccmc2
    cccmc2 Member Posts: 102
    edited June 2018

THank you for the reply’s. I had no lymph node involvement and clear margins. I’m not sure how close to chest wall. I think the margin on that side was slightly smaller but still clear.

• Wildcolonialgirl
    Wildcolonialgirl Member Posts: 119
    edited June 2018

ruthbru, you made me smile!  We have to find ways to treat this with humor even though it can be incredibly daunting at times.  

On the rads, I echo what others have said, with a clean mastectomy they sometimes don't recommend it.  But when there are lymph nodes involved, or you have a lumpectomy, it seems standard protocol.  

Starting rads tomorrow - have that usual mix of apprehension and a sense of "let's get this done."  I have depleted the East Coast's supply of moisturizer in preparation.....

• ruthbru
    edited June 2018

Wild, I had chemo also, and actually felt my energy returning during rads. Hopefully it will be the same for you!

• Wildcolonialgirl
    Wildcolonialgirl Member Posts: 119
    edited June 2018

Thanks, ruthbru!  Happy Monday to all!

• MexicoHeather
    MexicoHeather Member Posts: 147
    edited June 2018

Cccmc2: Radiation can be added if the location was close to the chest wall or there was cancer in the lymph nodes.

• InnaB2018
    edited June 2018

Saw a radiation oncologist today. She confused the hell out of me. She said that in my case rads should be strongly considered, but not necessarily recommended. Basically, she kind of thinks they will be beneficial, but it’s ultimatelyup to me. What am I supposed to do with this info?

• nonomimi5
    edited June 2018

Inna. That's is one crazy explanation. I would be confused as well. Can you ask your MO for her opinion

• ruthbru
    edited June 2018

Yes, talk to your oncologist. Also, do you have a review board at your clinic? Can you get a second opinion? That is an absolutely horrible non-explanation. The reason they go to years and years of school is so that THEY can make the tough calls. GOOD GRIEF! Devil