Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• powerparks
    powerparks Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2018

Jaymeb, I had a hysterectomy several years ago and kept the overies. Recently, before cancer problems I had been getting hot flashes. I, also thinking estrogen the enemy, why not get rid of the overies. I had a low onco score and genetic testing all good, so no chemo. My options from Dr are tamofen, which she discourages me from, the shots monthly and another drug, or overies out and the drug. Sorry the drug name slips my mind at the moment.

I didn't have radiation or chemo. The mastectomy got it all. Lymph nodes are good. I am going to get reconstruction of right breast from abdominal area and left breast fixed to match. I am still researching my options so any info from you all is appreciated. Thanks, Mary

• GoKale4320
    GoKale4320 Member Posts: 580
    edited May 2018

I found out Friday that my liver enzymes are elevated. They are at 40 and 53. The nurse said that these levels would not be a concern under normal circumstances but with my history they want to re-test in 6 weeks (July 5th) to see if they stay the same or go down. So I am concerned of course and have googled liver enzymes over the weekend plus each of my vitamin supplements to see if they have an effect on the liver. My goal is to try to do everything I can to bring the levels down through diet, exercise, sleep, stress management, etc so that we can see if there is really a cancer concern or not.

With my research - as faulty as the internet is - I did find that CoQ10 adversely affects the liver so I have stopped that. I cut back on the fish oil capsules and pondering whether or not to stop them altogether and just eat fish (I eat salmon now, just not everyday). The other vitamins I take are Vit C, Vit D3, Tumeric, DIM Plus, Evening Primrose Oil, Magnolia Tree Bark extract, and baby aspirin. I am Not taking Tamoxifen.

It is my understanding that increased enzymes can mean that cancer is back - somewhere in the body. Is that correct?

So has anyone had an elevated enzyme report? What did you do about it?

Thanks!

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    edited May 2018

Go kale, try this link

https://livertox.nlm.nih.gov/

• GoKale4320
    GoKale4320 Member Posts: 580
    edited May 2018

Thanks so much, Marijen!

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    edited May 2018

Welcome Go Kale. And stay away from green tea extract it can crash your liver. Too atrong I guess. But I drink green tea daily, two bags worth and no problems.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,581
    edited May 2018

I would be very cautious when taking any supplement, especially in mega-doses. I stick with a multi-vitamin, calcium with vitamin D, and a low dose aspirin (which one should clear with a doctor before adding to a daily regimen).

• cccmc2
    cccmc2 Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2018

I had a unilateral mastectomy 6 weeks ago. Up until today the entire surgical area has been numb. Today I started feeling a weird pain lower sternum area. It’s only when I move in certain positions. I also am starting to feel tingly feelings across where my breast was. I’m assuming I’m regaining feeling in that area? Is mild pain and strange sensations normal for being 6 weeks post op? Any input welcome!

• ruthbru
    edited May 2018

It's nerves growing back and will go on for a long time (think years).

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008
    edited May 2018

Welcome ladies! You found a wonderful group! I miss Nissa though. Ruth, wow you HAVE been busy. I am not on much lately. My youngest (nearly 20) is very ill and I work full time. Not much time to spend on other things right now. I was officially diagnosed with stage 1 LE last week. FINALLY got someone to refer me to a LE PT. She was terrific. Now I wait to see if I can get authorization for more visits and for a sleeve and glove. I see my surgeon this week. I love her but I always get that tiny little level of anxiety with these appointments.

Love Kale, what is your doc's issue with Tamoxifen? I had my ovaries out with my hyst back in 2011. Prior to my BC diagnosis. My surgeon recommended based on family BC history. I have been subsequently diagnosed with a genetic mutation called CHEK2. Even so I wish I had kept my ovaries. I was 50 and peri meno and surgical menopause was horrific.

• bellasmomtoo
    bellasmomtoo Member Posts: 93
    edited May 2018

cccmc2: For me, the tingly/throbbing sensation near my surgical scar was at its worse 3 months after surgery. Wasn't really painful, mainly annoying. It went away after about a month. Now I occasionally get very brief, throbbing sensations near my surgical scar. These happen rarely and are very, very brief. I assume these are normal.

• Sara536
    Sara536 Member Posts: 5,937
    edited May 2018

ccmc2, You might try getting a referral from your surgeon to see a physical therapist trained to work with bc patients - at least for an evaluation. I had a lumpectomy on one side and a lift on both. After the initial healing and the wounds were closed, and after radiation, I felt the scars beneath my breast gradually tightening like a thick band all across my chest. They were getting more uncomfortable every day. I got a referral from the radiologist, and, for good measure, from my BS as well. The PT basically stretched the scars. It felt like adhesions were breaking (a good feeling and a huge relief). I’m not sure what was going on, but it sure felt good afterwords. I was afraid I was going to just have to get used to it - now everything feels normal. She also checked for signs of lymphedema and took baseline measurements around my fingers and arms in case I started to develop that later.

• cccmc2
    edited May 2018

thank you!

• cccmc2
    edited May 2018

thank you so much for the info :

• cccmc2
    edited May 2018

I feel really right across the chest too! I figured it was normal. I will see my dr on Thursday and will inquire about pt . Thank you

• Sara536
    Sara536 Member Posts: 5,937
    edited May 2018

cccmc2, I sure hope you can access the therapy you need. I wasn’t “cured” instantly.. I saw her for 3 or 4 sessions - that’s pretty quick though. Then, about 3 months later, I started to feel that tightness a little bit and went running back for one more session. It’s been more than a year now and all’s well. She also showed me a few simple exercises that are meant to keep the lymph flowing just in case. I understand that lumphedema can show up much later but I only had the sentinel node removed so I’m assuming I’m done. Good luck!

• Nas
    Nas Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2018

Hi everyone, today I had my 3 months follow up appointment with my MO and he said no need for any tumor markers blood test nor yearly pe scan, he said tumor markers sre not accurate and scans will creat anxiety on me, anyone else’s doctor does the same???

• ruthbru
    edited May 2018

No scans or tumor markers for me either.

• jo6359
    jo6359 Member Posts: 1,993
    edited May 2018

how would an individual know if there's a new cancer reoccurrence?

• nonomimi5
    nonomimi5 Member Posts: 184
    edited May 2018

New to the website!

Started rad today and got a blood test yesterday to see where I am in terms of menopause to select the best hormone therapy. I am 54. Hysterectomy was never brought up as a necessity. Oncotype 17

• Cpeachymom
    Cpeachymom Member Posts: 249
    edited May 2018

nas- nope, no scans or TM for me either.

Jo- Just told to watch for symptoms. (Which now every ache and pain is possible Mets!)

Mimi- welcome!

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited May 2018

jo, there's no real way to tell, just as there was no way to know, except self-exam and/or mammo or whatever for our first dx. I'm 10 years out and still wonder.

Nas, no scans but my MO does tumor markers with every blood workup, 2-4x/year (because I get tired and cancel quarterly appts and reschedule to a semi-annual instead Winking). We have always been told the test can be inaccurate. I think mine does it because my bc is ILC, the sneaky type that does not normally appear until an MRI. The MRI is only ordered if the mammo looks funny, though nothing may show on it.

• Nas
    edited May 2018

Ladies I believe no exam is a lot better bcuz of the anxiety, my MO told me as you did double mastectomy you even don't need mamo, just let me know if you have any pain which lasts more than two weeks ... I am on tamoxifen and lupron every 3 months

• jo6359
    edited May 2018

patoo-- I live in Miami. I had just assumed since I've had a double mastectomy that I would receive some type of pet scan or MRI annually. I'm going to ask my Mo when I see him next Friday. I'm already concerned when treatment has completely finished in a year that every new ache and pain will be a cancer reoccurrence. Oh what fun. It never ends.

• Nas
    edited May 2018

jo

My MO today told me after surgery you are 80% cured, the other 20% is a chance that every single person on the earth has the chance to develop cancer at their lifetime (which nowadays is up to 50%)

• Nas
    edited May 2018

my little family, these two guys are my biggest reasons to keep going and believe I am cured.image

• cccmc2
    edited May 2018

Happythank you!!💕

• ruthbru
    edited May 2018

Awww.......what a lovely family!

• jo6359
    edited May 2018

nas- you have a beautiful family. Thanks for sharing.

• jo6359
    edited May 2018

nas- I had surgery prior to my chemo. Tumors and positive lymph nodes were removed with clean margins. One more chemo then a brief rest and then on to radiation. Like you I'm looking forward to a long and healthy life.

• pink_is_my_colour
    pink_is_my_colour Member Posts: 265
    edited May 2018

Nas: Two of the most awesome reasons!