Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• ButterflyLily
    ButterflyLily Member Posts: 101
    edited June 2018

Ladies, I am new here and posting to say hi. I just finished chemo and am about to start tamoxifen.

For those of you on tamoxifen how long after chemo did you wait before you starting it? also, anyone node positive who didn't do rads?

Thank you and hope everyone is having a good weekend!

• pink_is_my_colour
    pink_is_my_colour Member Posts: 265
    edited June 2018

Interesting when I asked for an Oncotype test they said it wouldn't tell them anything they didn't already know. They said I definitely needed chemo and radiation. I'm pretty sure the chemo was because I had it in the lymph nodes.

My understanding from new guidelines is that the Oncotype test will also tell you what your chances are of the BC returning and like others have said whether or not chemo will do any good for you.

I was 100% ER and PR positive. I did both chemo and radiation.

There's so many variables that each person's treatment is different.

ButterflyLily: They started me on Letrazole six weeks after my last chemo.

• cccmc2
    cccmc2 Member Posts: 102
    edited June 2018

i need some words of encouragement I’m having a really sad day today and I don’t even know why. My prognosis supposedly is good although I always think howbcan they know this without giving me a body scan. I try to just have faith in my doctors. Most days I’m positive. Today I went to a family graduation party and just looking around at everyone feeling normal and happy really got to me . I’m fighting bronchitis since last chemo session and im sure feeling crappy has added to my mental state. My son graduates high school tomororw and I want to just be happy but cannot stop crying. Every little ache and pain is sending my mind racing. I just needed to vent i think. Hopefully feeling better tomorrow . Thanks for reading ....

• jo6359
    jo6359 Member Posts: 1,993
    edited June 2018

ccmc2- I'm really sorry that you're having a tough day. We all go through it but it's never fun at the time. Just try to focus on everything that's going right in your life. You must be proud of your son's graduation. Hang in there. Tomorrow will be a better day. I know it's a platitude most of the time it's true. And having bronchitis after chemo really sucks. I finished my chemo yesterday and I still need infusions of herceptin and four heads up for 7 more months plus I need radiation for one positive lymph node. What helps me is just putting things in segments and completing one segment at a time. It is difficult when you're anxious, sad and frustrated. I hope this passes soon. When I was first diagnosed I was super anxious, angry and scared . One of the ladies on this thread recommended that I speak to my doctor about taking Xanax for short period of time. I started on a very small dose of Xanax for one week. It really helped me over that hump. And after that one week I didn't need it. Good luck to you.

• cccmc2
    edited June 2018

jo6359,

Thank you so much for replying. It helps more than you know. SillyHeart

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,581
    edited June 2018

cccmc, I think the whole 'cancer experience' intensifies ones emotions because one really realizes how precious and fragile life is. Plus being beat up by treatments wears on one emotionally as well as physically. As you start feeling better and get out and have some new experiences and have some fun, it gets better. Life does go on and you eventually come to expect that you aren't going to drop dead any time soon. About the aches and pains that make you worried....write them on a calendar for two weeks from when you notice them, and then don't let yourself dwell on them until that date (exercise like crazy, shop 'til you drop, take on a big project, whatever will keep you too busy to think a lot). 99% of the time, whatever you are worried about will be okay by then.Heart

• cccmc2
    edited June 2018

ruthbru,

Thank you for your kind words Heart

• Wildcolonialgirl
    Wildcolonialgirl Member Posts: 119
    edited June 2018

Good morning, everyone.  Just wanted to say thanks to all for the continuing words of encouragement here - it is good to see people lifting each other up and offering so much insight and advice.  All of us have "those days," and it's hard not to lose perspective when you're down.  ruthbru your advice is really wonderful.  

cccmc2 I hope you have an amazing day wtih your son's graduation today!  

My happy thought from yesterday was watching the Belmont Stakes.  I don't own racehorses and don't know any of these folks, but the story of the 52 year old jockey winning the Triple Crown is so heartwarming.  Then seeing Justify win after all the pundits said he couldn't do it, he started racing too late, he was sore after the Preakness, he would never have the stamina to run that distance, and he just couldn't do it, and then watching him not only win it, but hold the lead for the entire 1.5 miles and win pulling away, well, it just made me feel good.

Wishing you all a wonderful day. 

• Nas
    Nas Member Posts: 76
    edited June 2018

cccmc2 , I had my double mastectomy one week before xmas, I was crying whole the time and was thinking the same “everyone has normal life and xmas but me and my family” I was scared, angry, sad and was thinking my life would never be the same again, but believe me it will get better by time, dont blame yourself for how you are feeling, just remember the moment that I was crying you were haveing a normal life, these can happen to anyone at any moments unfortunatly, just stay as positive as you can and I promise you next year at this time you gonna feel very normal again❤️❤️

• cccmc2
    edited June 2018

thank you. I am feeling a bit better today. My Sons graduation was great! Me sporting my new wig, with my Son :)image

• pink_is_my_colour
    edited June 2018

ccmc2: you look amazing! We all feel your pain because we’ve all been there. It does get better. Baby steps

• pink_is_my_colour
    edited June 2018

Ccmc2: Here is something i posted back last year.

Your Quick Inspiration For The Day: Believe In Yourself

There may be days when you get up in the morning and things aren't the way you had hoped they would be.

That's when you have to tell yourself that things will get better.

There are times when people disappoint you and let you down.

But those are the times when you must remind yourself to trust your own judgments and opinions, to keep your life focused on believing in yourself.

There will be challenges to face and changes to make in your life, and it is up to you to accept them.

Constantly keep yourself headed in the right direction for you.

It may not be easy at times, but in those times of struggle you will find a stronger sense of who you are.

So when the days come that are filled with frustration and unexpected responsibilities, remember to believe in yourself and all you want your life to be.

Because the challenges and changes will only help you to find the goals that you know are meant to come true for you.

Keep Believing in Yourself

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,581
    edited June 2018

Great picture, ccmc! (My son was a junior in high school when I was diagnosed, and just a couple weeks ago we celebrated his 29th birthday. That brought a tear to my eye because the time has flown!)

• nonomimi5
    nonomimi5 Member Posts: 184
    edited June 2018

congratulations CCMC2! You look amazing and your son looks so proud of his mom

• Nas
    Nas Member Posts: 76
    edited June 2018

Ccmc you look so proud so does your son, my son is 5 years old and I AM GOING TO see him on this clothes in 13 years...

• cccmc2
    edited June 2018

I am so overwhelmed with all of the support and guidance. Peace and love to all of you! I have a 15 year old daughter who I will also see graduate!!

Thank you!Heart

• LibbyLouWho18
    LibbyLouWho18 Member Posts: 37
    edited June 2018

CCC, I wish there was a LOVE button to click under your picture. Congrats to you and your son on the milestones you are achieving. Yay for you both!❤

• cccmc2
    edited June 2018

LibbyLouWho...,

Thank you so much!!!!

• Wildcolonialgirl
    edited June 2018

Fantastic photo of you and your son, cccmc2!  Glad it was a great day!

• cccmc2
    edited June 2018

thank you!!Heart

• SLL101984
    SLL101984 Member Posts: 162
    edited June 2018

Hi ladies, I just came across this thread and I will be reading through some more pages of comments tonight....but I wanted to introduce myself. I was diagnosed on April 18 of this year with ILC and had a BMX 3 weeks ago today all at the ripe ole age of 33. My pathology came back at stage lla and grade 2, highly er and pr+, her2 -. I had clear margins, no node involvement, and genetic testing also all negative. Tomorrow I meet with an MO for the first time to discuss what’s next (should find out my oncotype score then). Very nervous for that appointment.

• nonomimi5
    edited June 2018

Welcome SLL,

I am sorry for the occasion and I hope you are recovering well. We will be praying for you for a low score on the Oncotype DX. I was also stage 2a, Grade 2 and Her2-. My Oncotype score was 17 and I did not need chemo. Good luck!

• SLL101984
    edited June 2018

nonomimi- thank you! I will update tomorrow!

• LibbyLouWho18
    LibbyLouWho18 Member Posts: 37
    edited June 2018

After seeing another oncologist for a second opinion yesterday, she agreed on 4 rounds of TC chemo.

My question, did anyone on TC try the infusions without a port? Did you have trouble with your veins after that?

Thanks! Libby

• GoKale4320
    GoKale4320 Member Posts: 580
    edited June 2018

LibbyLouWho - I did 4 rounds of TC without a port. The last infusion was really difficult because of the veins. The other thing I didn't realize when I made the decision to not have a port was there were needle sticks in between the infusions. So I thought there were only 4, but there were at least 12 sticks.

I am a year out from my last chemo, and my veins seem to be back to normal. But it was definitely difficult without a port.

• Lovemy3kids
    Lovemy3kids Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2018

GoKale4320

My first round of Chemo I did through the vein. It felt fine at the time but 3 days later my arm had a huge red spot and then redness up the pathway of my veins. It is now purple bruised color(6 months later). I got a port after my first chemo. Happy I did.

• SLL101984
    edited June 2018

Hi ladies! Just wanted to share my excitement. My oncotyoe score came back at. 14, chemo is no recommended! I will start tamoxifen asap and be on it for 10 years for now and we’ll go from there.

This place has been a great support, even though I just found the board yesterday, and I want to thank you for the kind words!!!

• nonomimi5
    edited June 2018

SLL,

That's great news. Congratulations!

• jo6359
    jo6359 Member Posts: 1,993
    edited June 2018

Sll- congratulations. I am so happy for you. You must be very relieved.

• Wildcolonialgirl
    edited June 2018

LibbyLou, I did 4 rounds of TC and never got a port.  I didn't have trouble with veins - but I hydrated extensively (crazy extensively) for a few days before and the day of the infusions - it was recommended to me by a friend who is a nurse, and then by the blood technicians at the center.  It worked extremely well. For the 4 rounds, it was very doable.  I did have to get bloods done the day before chemo each time (so total of 8 "sticks"), but the technician tended to use the vein in the crook of the elbow, which my chemo nurses never used.  I had 2 infusions done on the side of the arm near the wrist, and 2 done midway between wrist and elbow.  For me it was a very personal decision.  I would do it again.  

SLL - congrats!