Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• soriya123
    soriya123 Member Posts: 384
    edited December 2014

Ladies, what does unspecified lump or nodule mean?

• foreverchanged
    foreverchanged Member Posts: 21
    edited December 2014

Sounds like their not sure what it is by ultrasound and will likely want to biopsy.

• missingmercury
    missingmercury Member Posts: 156
    edited December 2014

Nisa, glad to hear your neuropathy is better.  I had 4 nodes removed on cancer side.  One had cancer.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,590
    edited December 2014

Soriya, sorry you are dealing with more crap. Let us know what you find out. I imagine that unspecified means just that they don't know if it is anything bad or not and it is better to be safe and figure that out right away. I am typing on a tablet which is cutting off my last words, so I am typing extra words, so there

• ruthbru
    edited December 2014

Hmmmm......

• mamam
    mamam Member Posts: 9
    edited December 2014

I just had my BMX 2 weeks ago & pathology came back as stage 2a. All 4 sentinel node Lymphs clear but 3 cm lobular carcinoma so dr said I just missed being a stage 1 by a cm. I am waiting to hear my oncotype results & setting up a meeting with the oncologist. My breast surgeon is saying no rads but I guess because my margins were clear (by 4 mm, it stated.). I did have extensive LCIS on my left side along with ILC and it showed up in my skin according to the pathology. My right side was clear of anything. I am just wondering how many have had chemo & rads at stage 2a???? Why is she not doing rads? Still very new, confused by all of this and I don't know anyone going through this because I'm 41.

• mjsgumbas
    mjsgumbas Member Posts: 323
    edited December 2014

MamaDarling - sorry you had to join us, but welcome.  I too was 40 at diagnosis - very overwhelming and scary... but know there is a wealth of information here and wonderful women (and some husbands) that are hear to lend a helping hand.  Not sure about the rads - but I was told after doing BMX, even though 1 node was posititive, no rads because there was nothing to radiate.  All the breast tissue was removed and 24+ nodes.  Maybe that's the case with you... probably something you should question so you have a clear answer.  I too waited for onco test results before a plan was put together for treatment.  Scored a 12 so no chemo for me.

Hopefully some others with similar LCIS & ILC can chime in.  Know you found a good support group here... sending you (((((HUGS))))

Mary Jane

• missingmercury
    edited December 2014

I had four nodes removed on cancer side, one had cancer.  I see my surgeon today for follow-up and get referral for radiation.  I had a choice of ALND (removing all lymph nodes), but decided against when weighing the pros and cons.

mm

• runningcello
    runningcello Member Posts: 101
    edited December 2014

Hello,

I'm new to this site. I bet it would have been helpful to have when I was first diagnosed in June 2014. I'm 24 years old, gasp! BRCA1/2 negative. Am I too young? I've heard that very often but cancer does not discriminate, it chooses whom it wants. I had Invasive ductal carcinoma, stage 2b, grade 3, poorly differentiated, with characteristics of micropapillary carcinoma. It spread to 1 lymph node. I am ER/PR+ and HER2+! Initially, it was a lot to take in.

I started chemotherapy on July 8, that date is forever embedded into my mind. It was a Tuesday. My cocktail consisted of taxotere, carboplatin, perjeta, and herceptin which I would receive every 3 weeks for 6 cycles. My first treatment went well. I did not puke, I was extremely tired and had a metallic taste in my mouth and felt nauseas, but I was pretty good. I received my neulesta shot the following day with my shot of zoladex to preserve my eggs. I had a week of being bad with diarrhea that drove me nuts and finally went out the following week and had an enjoyable two weeks. My second treatment did not go so good. By the second day, I was extremely tired, nauseas, unable to eat anything [luckily metallic taste never returned] and I vomited multiple times. I was able to take my zofran and dexamathesone for two out of the three days I needed to. On the third day any attempt at swallowing a pill resulted in vomiting .. so I refused. By the next week I was back to normal with incessant diarrhea. On my third treatment, the downward spiral of my vitals was getting pretty bad, my potassium was very low, my white blood counts and my platelets reallly low and the vitals that indicate the functioning of my liver were sucky so they gave me a lower dosage of the taxotere (i wish i felt the effects of a lower dosage). Two days later, I was in pretty bad shape. I had not been eating, as I normally don't the week of treatment, and I was vomiting. The reality is there was nothing inside of my system so I was vomiting air. I informed my fiance of this and he came home from work and took me to the ER because I was not only dehydrated but also unable to keep anything down. While at the ER I vomited twice and was kept company by my amazing fiance, parents, aunt, and grandma. Luckily, my cancer center is attached to the ER so I was admitted quickly. I stayed at the cancer center for a few days receiving fluids and potassium. I received most of my hydration from the fluids as eating was not going to happen. My lovely oncologist and nurse knew I was unable to swallow any of my pills by the 4th treatment so they opted for me to have the Sancuso patch. You can receive this patch, just have your nurse fight for your insurance to cover it. My nurse also had me do my neulesta shot two days after treatment with fluids and potassium so I could have something in my system. This really did help and should for most people but nothing was going to stop my body from vomiting. I threw up for a few days and had excessive diarrhea afterwards. By my fifth treatment i felt defeated. I had no idea how I would continue.. I did not think I could handle anymore chemo. I finished my treatment, went home and on the second day came back for my neulesta injection and fluids. I was feeling extremely terrible while receiving my fluids and asked to be admitted to the hospital. After completing my fluids I threw up and made my way to the ER where I threw up again and waited to receive a room. My amazing brother was with me during my fluids and called my fiance and parents to come meet us at the ER. I was in a small room when they came and I was receiving additional fluids. The ER nurse said it would be about 4 hours for these fluids to finish and at that point I fell asleep. I remember waking up at 2am in the hospital not realizing where I was and fell back asleep. This time around, I vomited about 5 times a day which resulted in me staying at the hospital a few nights. I went home and by the next week I was back to normal. By this time I was dreading my final treatment until I received a call from my doctor informing me we may opt out of the final treatment because I am responding well to treatment and just do the surgery instead. It was not set in stone but that gave me hope. I went to my scheduled chemo appointment on October 21 and my oncologist gave me the confirmed news, I would not be completing my last session. I was so overjoyed I just wanted to scream! I still received my treatment of perjeta and herceptin, but those had such minimal side effects I did not care. I completed my ultrasound, mammogram, and MRI and planned to have a lumpectomy with sentinel node dissection and removal if they came back positive.

November 10th I completed my surgery. I had approximately 20 or so family members in the waiting room waiting for me to finish, it was extremely gratifying. I received the good news that my lymph nodes came back negative and I was able to keep my nodes! A week later I received even better news, clear margins! and a total complete pathologic response. Basically, that is the best news you can ever receive! It makes the future look so much more realistic.

I started radiation on December 8th for a total of 6 weeks. I will continue herceptin until I complete a years worth. I will begin temoxifin upon completing radiation but the future looks good. I have faith and I have hope. Although the journey began with so much uncertainty, so much despair, so much sadness. I find in times of tests that one truly understands gratitude, humility, and appreciation. For those reading this, where ever you are in your journey. Know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. This is not the end. You are not alone. You are a fighter. No matter what happens, you are a fighter. If there is any piece of advice I can give you, a strong, loving support system is vital. Anything otherwise should be removed from your proximity. If you believe in a creator, it is a great time to start those prayers, if you had not already. But there is always light at the end of the tunnel.

• soriya123
    edited December 2014

Awww...runningcello, you went thru a lot. I thought I had it bad cus I fainted on my first treatment..but hardly throw up. Buy you poor thing. I am so happy that you got Complete Pathological Response. I also got the same results after chemo. You are lucky to get perjeta part of your treatment. Herceptin is nothing compare to chemo...maybe sometime i got runny nose n headache .

• runningcello
    edited December 2014

@soriya123, wow I'm surprised you had little side effects, especially because we had almost the exact same treatment plan. I certainly hated the side effects but very thankful the chemo worked.

• soriya123
    edited December 2014

Runningcello, zofran keep me from throwing up, the first week of treatment always the hardest for me. Can't eat much but i able to drink water. After the first week i can eat anything. But still the whole treatment i lost 15 lbs n i am already lean before chemo.lol. All my life i always struggle to put weight on. I need to gain my weight back but so hard.

• runningcello
    edited December 2014

Zofran and Sancuso did nothing from me, but I'm happy it worked for you! I would lose weight and work the rest of the 2 weeks to put it back on. I hope you can gain that weight back to keep yourself healthy and strong

• PoppyK
    PoppyK Member Posts: 1,275
    edited December 2014

Runningcello, Welcome to the group.

You had a horrible time on chemo! Nausea hit me hard on chemo, too.... but fortunately an army of doctors found a drug regimen that kept the nausea in check.

Hope rads is much easier on you.

• runningcello
    edited December 2014

Thank you! I'm hopeful :)

• ruthbru
    edited December 2014

I founds radiation to be a piece of cake compared to chemo. I think that is the case for many who do chemo first....any way you feel would be an improvement!!!!!

• clarrn
    clarrn Member Posts: 160
    edited December 2014

ditto to Ruth's comment :)

• missingmercury
    edited December 2014

Found out yesterday I am doing radiation.  Not sure of date yet, but aiming for beginning of Jan.  Daily for 5 weeks.  I am on the edge diagnosis wise of having to do radiation, but apparently 50 is young (go me).  Due to this they want to be aggressive.  If I was 70 or 80 they would not have done it.

I have not done a lot for Christmas, so am compensating by hosting.  Stupid?  Maybe, but I am letting my daughter do most of the work.  ;-)

mm

• clarrn
    edited December 2014

missing mercury-yes make sure get all the help you can! I did 5 weeks rads too and after going through chemo it was so much easier. You will rock this!

• hopeful82014
    hopeful82014 Member Posts: 887
    edited December 2014

MM - boy, I hope your daughter steps up and does it ALL for you!

I have to confess I've not done a lot for Christmas, either. I think the gift shopping's done with one exception but I still haven't put a single ornament on the tree and the house is a shambles. Haven't shipped the one box that needs to be mailed, nor done a single card. This is one year I would have loved not to have to do anything about Christmas except go to church. The cancer card didn't do a darn thing for me in this regard! :)

• clarrn
    edited December 2014

Hopeful- my house is a wreck too, and also no Christmas cards done! We will get to the house one day!

• hopeful82014
    hopeful82014 Member Posts: 887
    edited December 2014

Clarn - perhaps the Holiday Housekeeping Fairy will drop by (or at least, that's what I'm hoping). Merry Christmas anyway. :)

• emrose1
    emrose1 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2014

congratulations on your great news!!! Your situation & treatment is so similar to mine.....except i am sorry you had to go thru this at such a young age. It is awful and frightening at any age. All we can do is take the best care of ourselves as possible. I swear by vit D, exercise and juicing. I'm so thankful that the research keeps advancing. I know it is saving livves. God BLess.

• NisaVilla
    NisaVilla Member Posts: 505
    edited December 2014
    1. Runningcello - you are 24! You are probable the youngest person in this forum! So glad to hear you have such a strong support network. We are here for you as well!

Missing - first rads and then freedom. After all you have done, you will do rads like a pro!

My best wishes to those undergoing active treatments during the holidays. There are some amazing and inspiring stories on the MDAnderson web site.

May we all remember that despite cancer, we are here and must treasure this gift of life we are given. It is great to be alive. Happy Holidays to all!

Love, Nisa

• NisaVilla
    edited December 2014

Wow - that was a messy post. This tablet does not behave as told when I'm on this site!

• mjsgumbas
    edited December 2014

Have a question for my sister - Late last week I noticed 1 red spot on my neck & thought nothing of it. Last night there were multiple spots clustered together. They are not raised & do not itch - just came out of nowhere. Any ideas what this may be or if I should be concerned?image

• NisaVilla
    edited December 2014

MJ - I have no idea and I would have it checked out. One of my kids had something similar called hemangioma. It grew pretty big, pretty fast, and then absorbed itself. Let us know how it goes! Hugs

• ruthbru
    edited December 2014

They are probably some weird skin thing, but I'd get it checked out just so that you don't have to worry about it.

• missingmercury
    edited December 2014

Thanks for the support all!

MJS, better to ask than to wonder.  Let us know.

Happy Holidays.

• mjsgumbas
    edited December 2014

Thanks - gonna put a call in today.  But with the busy season I may not be able to get an answer quick.  I have my 4 month check up with my MO mid January maybe he'll just want to wait until then.

Hope everyone is doing well & enjoying time with family and friends!!!  Happy Holidays!!!!!