Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• PoppyK
    PoppyK Member Posts: 1,275
    edited October 2014

Hi Leto, Welcome! The ladies here are awesome! Love that you think of your favorites as "Inspiration Rooms".

I had a lumpectomy with oncoplastic reconstruction in July. I had more than one area of concern in my right breast; one at the 12 o'clock position, the other at the 5 o'clock position.  I had ample breast tissue so the BS was able to remove both areas. The PS rearranged the remaining tissue and created my new, higher, smaller breast. The PS also operated on the left breast to make them match. My incisions are on the underside of my breasts, so they could access whatever tissue they needed. My sentinel node is positive, so I am in chemo land. I don't know if a similar procedure would work for you in your situation, but thought I would share my situation with you.

I hope you get good, helpful information tomorrow that will help you as you make your decision!

Poppy

• NisaVilla
    NisaVilla Member Posts: 505
    edited October 2014

Thank you dear all for support and ideas.  Easy to implement so prunes and a foam pad are now on my shopping list.  Someone recommended pulverized egg shell and I'm thinking - what the heck - bring those eggs on, lol.

Clarrn- my heart breaks that you have to deal with cancer so young.  I hope the energy of your youth helps you fight this thing with all you've got. And we are also in your arsenal so come in and chat when you want to.

Leto - you look so young!  I haven't heard of the MyRisk test but anything that helps with decision making is a good thing to do. Losing your breasts is hard but we all do whatever is needed to get rid of the cancer for good.  I will be thinking of you tomorrow.  Hope SEs are not too bad. Keep us posted.

Hugs to all,  Nisa

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,590
    edited October 2014

Welcome, Leto! Wait & see how the chemo goes. I have a Stage III friend who had a huge tumor with lots of nodes involved. She and her doctors were sure she was headed for a mastectomy but, since the tumor was so close to her chest wall, the doctors needed to reduce the tumor size to even do that successfully. She had neoadjuvant chemo and had such a great response that the tumor shrunk down to NOTHING. She was able to have a lumpectomy (which was a bonus to her, she just wanted the cancer gone, whatever it took). That was several years ago and she is still doing fine.

• missingmercury
    missingmercury Member Posts: 156
    edited October 2014

Nisa, osteoporosis runs in my family, so I am checked regularly.  So far no significant bone loss, but on vitamin D and told to chew tums with calcium.

Leto, welcome.  This is a great group.

Chemo today.  Taxol has been kicking my butt.  I don't know if I mentioned, but my family calls themselves my minions.  They did it before I lost my hair and looked like Gru.  I will post a pic as I think my sil is bringing minion hats and goggles to wear to chemo today.  Some things feel like they are falling apart around me and I am so sad.  Then I look out my window and a nice man I barely know is cutting my half acre yard and pulling some sticker bushes that lined my walk and I hated. (I had mentioned this to him once).  I was home feeling sick and not presentable.  I saw his daughter the next day and  I was going to give her money for him.  she said before I could say anything "dad said if you give me money, to give it right back."  Things like this and the minion hats make it easier to find some happy.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited October 2014

nisa - I was osteopenic for years prior to my breast cancer diagnosis, but chemo and six months of Femara also caused significant decline in bone health.  I now receive Prolia injections every six months.  My MO favors these as they work differently than the typical bisphosphonates.  I had tried the oral meds long ago when the osteopenia was first found (due to hyst/ooph at 45) but could not tolerate the drugs, and at that time the military hospitals did not do the IV (Reclast).  After four Prolia injections, over 18 months, I did another DEXA and my bone health is now in the normal range.  Prolia is a monoclonal antibody drug, like Herceptin, and instead of coating the bones and making them less elastic and more prone to fracture, it slows the old bone removal mechanism (which can speed up as we age) and allows it to match the new bone creation mechanism.  I have no SE from this med - just get a subcutaneous injection every six months.  I also take calcium and Vitamin D.

• hopeful82014
    hopeful82014 Member Posts: 887
    edited October 2014

Special K - thanks for the info on the Prolia. It's good to know there's another choice that actually strengthens the bones rather than coating them.

• PoppyK
    edited October 2014

Missingmercury, Love your stories! I look like Gru, too! I hope your minions cause less havoc than the ones in the movie! Lovely story about the man helping with your yard!

SpecialK, Good to see you! You are a wealth of information! Sorry that so much of the info is from your personal experience though.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited October 2014

hopeful and poppy - you are welcome! 

poppy - passing along info makes the fact that it came from personal experience a little easier to take - at least someone benefits from it, right?

• missingmercury
    edited October 2014

As promised.

• ruthbru
    edited October 2014

missmercury, love the minion hats! How many more infusions to go? It will be nice to be on the countdown from that!!!

• nancy2581
    nancy2581 Member Posts: 408
    edited October 2014

lol that's hysterical.  Gotta make it fun somehow.

Nancy 

• flaviarose
    flaviarose Member Posts: 249
    edited October 2014

Re: Osteoporosis.   I recently read how melatonin can help build bone.  FYI, melatonin also inhibits cancer.

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jos/2010/830231/

http://www.buffalo.edu/news/releases/1999/09/4395....

• mjsgumbas
    mjsgumbas Member Posts: 323
    edited October 2014

Too cute missing! 

• Leto
    Leto Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2014

PoppyK, NisaVilla and ruthbru - thank for the kind words of support. Thanks PoppyK for sharing your experience with me regarding surgery and it sounded exactly what I was hoping for. Unfortunately, I found out new information from the MO today and it is now confirmed mastectomy. Here's what I found out today:

1. The initial report from the Ultrasound showed the size to be approx. 2cm but now the MRI is reporting the size to be 3.7cm in all 3 tumors.
    2. Auxiliary node involved (I already knew that)
    3. All 4 quadrants are involved
    4. No chest wall involvement (a bit of good news)

So it looks like I'll be facing mastectomy after chemo - sometime around Mid to Late February.  But like ruthbru mentioned - wait and see after chemo.  I should have the results of the MyRisk test back the next time I go for chemo. The results will also show if I'm positive for ovarian cancer, and if so, the MO will recommend that the ovaries be removed at the same time. Since I'm post menopause, it shouldn't be a problem. A LOT to think about.  It is what it is - and whatever it takes.

I know I can come here to Stage 2 Sisters Club  for questions, advice, support. This site has been a godsend to me. Thank you

• PoppyK
    edited October 2014

Leto, A lot of new info for you. No chest wall involvement is excellent news. All four quadrants and larger tumors is not.

For many, many people the chemo does an excellent job of shrinking the tumors. I hope this happens for you!

• NisaVilla
    edited October 2014

Leto - I echo Poppy's statement. Crossing fingers for those tumours to shrink to nothing by the time surgery comes around. Don't forget the goal is to be healthy again, whatever it takes! And I say that to myself daily as I eat awful-tasting stuff like kale and sprouts!

Missing - delightful!  I want one for tomorrow evening.  I feel LOVE for your neighbors, both dad and daughter.

Flaviarose - nice meeting you and thanks for articles. Who knew about melatonin and bone growth. We owe so much to our rat cousins that participate in those trials!

SpecialK - I'm taking notes and bringing to endocrinologist next week, thanks!

Everyone - Happy Halloween! 

Hugs, Nisa

• ruthbru
    edited October 2014

Hang in there, Leto. Try to just take it one day at a time right now & not think too far ahead about what might or might not happen. (Yes, I know that is much easier said than done. I had to resort to knocking myself out with sleeping pills.) Sending a hug!

• missingmercury
    edited October 2014

Ruth, Taxol will be done Dec 3 unless I miss one.  Herceptin through next Sept.  I got a voicemail that I believe is to a radiation consult in Dec.

Nisa, you are so funny.  I agree "all hail the rats that suffered for us"...just stay out of my house.

Leto, good and bad there.  Really good not in the muscle.  Everyone here is already in my prayers.

Happy Halloween all!

• ruthbru
    edited October 2014

Dec. 3 will be a good day to celebrate!

• NisaVilla
    edited October 2014

I agree with Ruth.  I would wear your adorable hat on that very special day. 

• missingmercury
    edited November 2014

Vmail was followup with the surgeon, but she is the one referring me to radiology.  Snowing here this morning.  Flurries.

• annointd1
    annointd1 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2014

Hi everyone, I'm new here and very thankful to have people who understand what I'm going through. I was diagnosed in December 2012 with stage II. I lost my husband to oral cancer in January of 2011 & have an amazing family that's been here for me. I had my bmx August 2013 followed by 35 rounds of radiation. I met with a ps last week to schedule getting te's. I'm excited and nervous at the same time, but know that there are many women here to get support from.

• ruthbru
    edited November 2014

Welcome annointd1, glad you found BCO. It is a great place for both information and support!

• NisaVilla
    edited November 2014

Welcome Annoitd1. Welcome to this group and I am sorry about your loss. Makes me think about the role of stress and cancer onset. We have been quiet as a group recently but we are here to support you, and each other. If you have questions, ask away. There is an active thread on "reconstruction" that you might want to visit. Lots of good info and friendly folk. ugs, Nisa

• thinkingpositive
    thinkingpositive Member Posts: 564
    edited November 2014

Springsoon

Sorry you are going through this... you seem to have similar diagnosis as me. Stage 2a..with the exception of 1/17 nodes. Just wondering what chemo treatment plan you are doing? I saw oncologist today and was offered two chemo plans to chose from... was told that i don't have to, can do only hormonal drug if thats my choice, but if I want to reduce my risk of it coming back, then chemo would be in addition, just in the event something was left behind and because of the one positive sentinel node. This is so confusing. it seems like from the very beginning everything I have been told, each time its just a little worse, then a little worse...dcis stage 0. lumpectomy and radiation to mri showing additional lesion to mastectomy to positive lymphnode, you will probably only need hormonal therapy to now chemo.

Thanks for any info!!

• hopeful82014
    hopeful82014 Member Posts: 887
    edited November 2014

ThinkingPositive - that seems to be the way this game (cancer) is rigged; we're always getting sucked in to it a bit deeper, up and down. ;(

Did you do Oncotype testing?

What are the 2 regimens that you're offered?

It's tough to have to make those decisions - I think we all suffer from decision overload by the time we get to surgery; a little respite would be nice!

• nancy2581
    edited November 2014

thinkingpositive I also was given two chemo options. TAC (with taxotere) or AC + Taxol. I chose TAC because it was shorter - big mistake for me anyway. It knocked me flat and my WBC dropped to .7. My neutrophils were .4 I think. My onc immediately changed me to AC+ taxol and though no walk in the park either it is much better. Taxotere and I don't do well together. Good luck to you.

Nancy

• Liwi
    Liwi Member Posts: 249
    edited November 2014

Just saw this group. Lot's of good information. I am stage IIb. Started dense dose AC then Taxol chemo in October to shrink the tumor prior to surgery. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis a couple of years prior to the cancer and appreciate all the information posted on that topic.

• Siren40
    Siren40 Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2014

Finally got my path report after my lumpectomy and it looks like I'll be joining you ladies. Tumor was 2.9 cm with micromets to 1/3 nodes. My HER2 is still not determined after 3 tests so they are sending it out for some test that they say will be definitive. My MO told me that if HER 2 is negative I could choose to do chemo or not, but I told him I want everything. They are presenting me at the tumor board tomorrow and I meet with him Thursday for the final plan. Right now looks like port placement next week then chemo the following week. Finish with rads and 10 years Tamoxifen, thanks to 95% ER/PR +. Not gonna lie.....I'm scared to death. But I know I'm not ready to go anywhere just yet so let the games begin.

• nancy2581
    edited November 2014

welcome Siren though I know you don't want to be here. My tumor was 2.8cm and I too had a lymph node involved though bigger than your's at 2.8mm. I am also doing chemo rads and tamoxifen. Good luck to you. I hope everything goes smoothly for you

Nancy