Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How are people with liver mets doing?

Comments

• redwolf8812
    redwolf8812 Member Posts: 580
    edited January 2015

Welcome back, Chichi. Sorry about the pneumonia but glad things are now looking up Smile.

Woody - I'm at the tail end of Xeloda so I'm feeling the cumulative effects from that - GI issues, fatigue, etc. Not sure when my next scan is. I see the NP for my MO on Wednesday to find out the next course of action. Also getting a much overdue echocardiogram that day.

How was everyone's holidays? Our Christmas (also my 11-year-old's birthday) was really nice, thanks be to God. She always gets to choose the dinner since it's her birthday. This year we had sloppy joes LOL. My family and my husbands all came over, ate dinner, and enjoyed birthday cake. New Years has come and gone in a blur because that same 11-year-old came down with strep and some upper respiratory issues. It's been meds and nebulizer around the clock for days now. My husband has been doing just about all of her care-taking since I really can't get too close to those germs. He even had to take her to the ER one early morning because she was struggling to breath. Still, this is life and I'm glad to be here, thank You, Lord.

Prayers for all,

Penny

• chichimaine
    chichimaine Member Posts: 89
    edited January 2015

All,

Thanks for all the encouragement as always! I have missed you all.

Penny - hope your daughter is feeling better...poor baby...and during the holidays.

Woody - looking forward to wonderful results from your PET scan. I know the delay is frustrating, but I think the results will be even better from having the effects of the treatment extended. Thinking of you!

Love n hugs to all!!

• ronniekay
    ronniekay Member Posts: 657
    edited January 2015

Our Christmas & New Years were very nice...although we missed our California family. It was/is somewhat of a germ farm here too, Penny, although yours sounds a bit more scary! Hope DD is recovering well & glad DH is such a great helper. I probably spent too much time in the midst of little coughing/sneezing people, but so far, so good. All 3 had dr visits, ear infections, virus. Everyone seems to be coughing...so all on chemo, praying you stay strong!!! Woody...I'm hoping more time before scans will show even more good results. I was to see my onc on Wed but since I scheduled my flight for Tues (didn't have appt scheduled), he said we'd wait til 1/27. Trying to be confident w/good markers...still, you all know, there are questions to ask always! Take care :)

• Woodylb
    Woodylb Member Posts: 935
    edited January 2015

Penny, sorry about your daughter strep issue and you were right not be close to her , it would have caused you kajor issues. Glad your husband is a good helper. I hope she feels better now. I love the idea of sloppy joe dinner lollll.

I hope you soon get to see your MO and learn what is the next course of action. I am also due for an echocardiogram and a lot of other blood tests. I hope th Xeloda with all its SEs is working hand in hand with the spheres. My prayers are with you.

Our Christmas was very familial all my family plus some of my DH family, it was cozy and nice , i made a nice juicy american style turkey and had a ready made baby porc , it was really nice. New year's we spent it at home with some friends, and my son went woth his friend to ski . So it was a quiet and funny evening.

I hope you get some results soon , prayers, prayers , prayers heading your way. Hugs.

• Woodylb
    edited January 2015

Ronnie, i am sorry about your germ farm around the holiday, but glad you are safe and sound. Stop worriying about your scans and tests i feel they will be good , god's willing. Do them before you leave to CA if possible so you can enjoy your trip. Kisse

• Woodylb
    edited January 2015

Chichi,

Thank you for your encouragement too and all of you wonderful ladies too, i hope next time we all have some good news to share.

Love to all.

• Woodylb
    edited January 2015

Hello ladies,

I hope you are all doing well , i had my taxol today of the 4th cycle and i got my blodd tests results also. All blood morpholgy are good on the low normal levels but good, liver enzymes are normal and functions , and calcium serum. The CA15-3 results are out too , they seem to have dropped by 10 points from 50 to 38.5 . Even though markers are not an indication by themselves buti took it as a good omen that i amy be responding to treatment thanks be to God. I will know soon enough in three weeks after my PET.

all prayers are welcome and i hope to hear good news from all of you. Hugs to all.

• redwolf8812
    edited January 2015

Sounds great, Woody, thanks be to God!

Prayers for you and yours,

Penny

• Woodylb
    edited January 2015

thank you Penny for all your woram wishes as always and mostly thank you for your prayers. How are you feeling after your procedure? And is there a next one? What is your doctors plan of action? My preyers are woth you too always. Hugs

• redwolf8812
    edited January 2015

Woody - I am feeling great, thanks be to God. Today I'm getting an echo and then I see my NP for next course of action. I will keep you posted.

:-) Penny

• smiley47
    smiley47 Member Posts: 91
    edited January 2015

Congratulation Woodylb on you blood markers, may it be an indication of things settling down for you, we need this kind of good news

• smiley47
    smiley47 Member Posts: 91
    edited January 2015

Ronniekay: fingers crossed for good scans for you and good recommendations from your onc when you see him/her.

• SyrMom
    SyrMom Member Posts: 575
    edited January 2015

Congratulations, Woody, glad to hear you are getting positive results.

Started back on chemo Monday after a holiday break and a break before that due to a toxic reaction.  So I've really only had two chemo sessions since October & my labs reflect it!!  Markers up again, highest ever.  Very scary, however, I have to say I felt good when off the chemo.  Ate like a pig and had energy; was hard to return to it.  I know it was only a matter of time before that reversed.  Honestly, I could feel progression with pain in areas I haven't had in a long time, etc.  Very grateful I could at least enjoy my family in from out of town and enjoy eating anything during that time.  Now slipping back into my solitary slump, but that's how I live.  Don't see a way out of managing side effects as a way of life.   Also, losing my hair again.  I had lots of regrowth while on taxol, not enough to go topless (still wigging it), but it was encouraging.  Getting some slight signs of hand/foot again, on Adria - this month should tell if I can tolerate it.  The Doxil did a huge number on me after only 2 infusions.  If not, then on to something else. 

I did a lot of reflecting while around family & friends during the holiday, & realized how much this disease keeps taking away.  I'm definitely not the person I use to be.  I'm very aloof & find it difficult to be happy.   I'm grateful for the many blessings in my life, but not happy.  I honestly don't think I can be happy again, strange.  I also find it very difficult to make small talk with others, as I feel so removed from "normal" life.  I watch & listen to others living their lives, but feel no part of it.  All I can think of is why that would be difficult for me; for example, no energy or difficulty walking long distances, etc.  In so many ways this is a living hell, with breaks every once in awhile.  I apologize if I sound morbid, it's really not my intention.  Just expressing what's been on my mind recently.  As negative as I might sound, I want to stress I do realize the blessings in my life & how I could have it so much harder & I'm very grateful for those who have extended themselves & have stepped up.  I have also let go of many "toxic" people in my life & have no regrets; this includes my birth family.  

So, these are my thoughts for today & again, I apologize if I sound negative or if what I said upsets anyone.

• leftfootforward
    leftfootforward Member Posts: 1,396
    edited January 2015

Syrmom- we have all been there. This disease has forever changed us physically and emotionally. I know i often reflect on who I was before BC and who I am now. I am less tolerant of others and am also much more closed in. Its ok to feel that way. Be kind to youself. We understand. I hope that some day soon, you may find a little more peace and mabybe a little more happiness. Hugs

• Woodylb
    edited January 2015

Thank you Syrmom, i hope this will lead to good scans :)

I am glad you got some rest from chemo and was aboe to be a little like yourself again.

Syrmom, you should never be sorry on how you feel or how this disease transformed you. It did a number on all of us. None of us is the same. It is ok to feel how you feel , otherwise you are not human. It is so hard to keep a brave facade , when every one around is living and getting on with their lives. Nothing about this disease is normal, everytime you think you forgot about it , it keep coming back to remind it is still here and it is in control. It takes it's toll on all of us. So get angrey, aloof , rebel against it , it will still be ok. I completely am with you. Sometimes i would be talking about something in the future tehn suddenly, irealise that i would not be here to do it, sadly , i shut up and i cut the discussion. Then other times i am ok and i want to defy the disease and i keep talking. You are not alone in this believe me.

I hope , you start again your chemo and this time around it will be gentker to you. Keep us posted and take care of yourself. My prayers are with you.

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited January 2015

Just heard from my onc - TMs are way up again. 582 on 16 Dec, 678 on 6 Jan. That's only 3 weeks! So I'll be having scans and we'll see what happens.

Leah

• redwolf8812
    edited January 2015

Syrmom - I know exactly how you feel. While grateful to God for all my blessings, especially for letting me be alive to spend more time with my family, I don't exactly WANT to do anything most days except stay in bed. I fight depression and anxiety every single day but, by the Grace of God, I manage to get up and do some things. I find that if I allow myself a day once in a while to do nothing but stay in bed, I feel better. You're a fighter. We all are. We'll get through it together.

Leah - So sorry to hear about the TM's. When are your scans? Keep us posted.

Had my echo yesterday, which was fine. I LOVE the tech that does mine. We have really bonded. We chat so much it takes us at least an hour to get the echo done. She even gave me a Christmas gift. She once had breast cancer so she "gets" it. Then I met with my oncologist's NP, who said that my onc wants to talk to the IR who did the Sir-Sphere procedure to discuss next course of action. I believe the IR is away so not sure when that will happen. I just finished a cycle of Xeloda. Yesterday I received Perjeta and Herceptin but I will probably end up doing TDM1 again, along with a chemo. I'll keep you posted when I know more.

Prayers for all,

Penny

• Jaytee
    Jaytee Member Posts: 738
    edited January 2015

Good morning everyone. Hope you all have a good day today. I went for treatment yesterday and got my results for scans taken last week. Dr said the scans looked good...spots on liver are still diminishing, but they are still there, so still having taxotere treatments. Yesterday was no. 11. She did cut the dosage down a little because of the horrible fatigue I have been experiencing the last few months, so will see if that helps a bit. I am so looking forward to a chemo break, but it doesn't look like it will be anytime soon. I asked her about getting a handicapped sticker for my car...She gave me a script for one. Never thought I would get to that point, but I think I need it now. I am walking so slow that I feel quite vulnerable in parking lots when I am by myself....Will be good to be able to park closer to the entrances. I want to feel lively again! This bc has aged me so much.

Leah....thinking of you. My markers were up a bit this time...but the Dr said the scans were good, so I hope you will get good news on your scans too. Prayers and hugs.

SyrMom......you were being honest about your feelings. This disease certainly changes everything about our lives. We are here for you on the good days and the bad days too....never worry about seeming negative. Lots of payers and hugs for you too and for everyone on here! Love you all and my best wishes for everyone today.

judy

• redwolf8812
    edited January 2015

Great news on the "diminishing" spots, Jaytee. Thank You, Lord! Continued prayers for you and yours. :-) Penny

• Jaytee
    edited January 2015

Thanks Penny! Last time they were 90% gone...so I was really hoping that they wouldn't show up at all this time....but she said it still looked better. Wanted to hear 'no more taxotere'! I guess I can dream. :) Just going to keep staying on my knees and thanking all of you for your prayers too!

• ronniekay
    ronniekay Member Posts: 657
    edited January 2015

SyrMom...Ive been off chemo since 10/22 & I have the same ses...more energy & bigger appetite. I could get used to it...but like all of us...always on guard! You put my thoughts into words, thank you! Sometimes when people (my sister is the main one) start telling me about things going on in their lives (I'd call it scuttle butt), I find myself wanting to scream, "Who Cares!!!" I find I have very little patience for trivial things...most of what life is made up of...thinking it's a waste of time & energy. But then I find myself being almost panic stricken...wanting to micro-manage things like grandchildrens' or my kids' diets, or discipline (I'm the parent that yelled at my kids & find that now I can't fathom my grandkids being in time outs!!)...all because I feel like I have to instill all the life lessons quickly, if I'm not here to help in the future. My BIL said (privately) it's the chemo that poisons and takes my "fun spirit" away...and I think that's a bit true...but it's the fact that we have a disease that's robbing us of being who we were & knowing how much time is left...and it's hard to overcome that thought all the time (even though no one's time is certain). Seriously...I love my life, my family, my friends (mostly you all), my faith in God & church..and I know every day is a blessing...so dang it...don't waste my time & energy...right??? LOL!!!!! So Syr...love you & you are NORMAL to most of us!

Jaytee...I have capsular retraction (like shrivels from shrunken tumors) so my liver will never be clear...but my onc likes my scans, saying he thinks what's shrinking is just scar tissue...so anything shrinking is great news! Good news on lower dosage and a parking sticker!! Both will make each day a little easier, I think :)

Leah...I'm so sorry TMs are up. Which marker is it? I only have cea & ca2729. I will keep praying that scans are good.

Woohoo for a healthy heart, Penny! I smiled reading about your tech relationship...I have the same! First time I said I knew he wasn't supposed to give me results-he said he's not supposed to but didn't mean he wouldn't :). He's a black man married to a blonde women & showed me pix of his darling kids. My DD is a blonde married to a black man so I showed pix of Grandaughter. He also said he does mostly cancer patients and he knows it doesn't matter if you led the healthiest/worst lifestyles, and that he's scared sh..less to get cancer...such honesty was so refreshing! So he's my go-to guy now. She gave you a present!!! That's so touching...you've impacted her as you have us! Wondering how long you'll do xeloda but that's probably what you'll be learning soon. Hope her/perj were kind yesterday (Josie's 7th bday..on the 7th & she told everyone she's lost 7 teeth so it's a triple gold bda

Woody...I know your team was tickled to see you & happy for the drop in your marker. That, along with good liver enzymes & blood is very heartening!!! Prayers for great scans in 3 weeks...you and I will be visiting the onc the same week. I'm hoping you're feeling strong after treatment...I know being "truly home" must give you an added boost of joy! I did a 5 mile walk with grandoggie today...loving sunny California!!

Smiley & Leftfoot...hoping you're doing well. Take care all my friends!!!

• Woodylb
    edited January 2015

Jaytee, diminishing still good , i am happy for you, i know we al, hope they disappear, but diminshing is good also. I hope , one day soon you will get a disappear and get the chemo break you so long for.

Penny , so glad your echo is good , my prayers are with you as always.

Leah , so sorry about your high TM , but still it does not mean your scans will be bad. My TMs kept rising for the first month on my new combo , it just started to drop. Frankly, i do not know hoe reliable they are. What matters are the scans and i hope yours will be good. Keep us posted.

RonnieKay, i am glad you are enjoying sunny California, you will come back all tanned and energized :)) . Being home certainly felt good for me but extemely tiring as i was running around for decorations, dinner and all the Christmas and new year's stuff. We got some really cold weather, but it was fun. Now i am back to Saudi Arabia, and frankly i am glad because i get a lot of rest here and someone else will do the cleaning and the work , so i just cook and eork on getting my energy back. My son is with me till the 20th then he will head back home to college. Enjoy your time in CA and i hope you will hear good news from your onc.

To all of you lovely ladies lots of prayers, and a wish for good luck and lots of hope and a dash of happiness. Hugs to every and each one of you.

• Jaytee
    edited January 2015

RonnieKay and Woodylb....thanks for the well wishes! I did go get the parking sticker this afternoon. The clerk at the DMV asked if I was my husband's mother! (urgle!) Just going to let that go...in all honesty I feel like I could be old enough to be his mother right now. He is also quite young looking for his age, he has got some awesome genetic material going on. Ronniekay, a 5 mile walk! Bet that felt good..I was walking a lot a couple years ago..I miss it...Hope to be able to do it again. Woody....enjoy your time in Saudi Arabia with your son...Hope your visit will be wonderful before he heads back to school. Also get plenty of rest. I am glad that the holidays are over...It's never easy to get much rest at that time of year. Glad that things have slowed down.

judy

• kjones13
    kjones13 Member Posts: 662
    edited January 2015

syrmom--you also put words to my thoughts. I was a counselor before bc...I'm getting ready to resign at the age of 36 (for a lot of reasons) because there is no way on God's green earth that I could keep my mouth shut in response to some teacher or parent request or some 14 yr old girl coming in to talking about drama! I wouldn't last an hour! Which sounds horrible! I am not the person I used to be. I think my husband is having the hardest time with that. So I talk to him but I try to filter myself. I'm just so angry! I was so depressed a few months ago, but now I'm pissed. It's not that I think I'm the center of the universe...I just want my life back...I know all about kubler Ross 5 stages of grief...threw that book away with the rest of my master's program material. Sorry...just throwing a little tantrum...done.

• Woodylb
    edited January 2015

Jayteee, you made me laugh , as i look right now like my husband's great grand mother, it is horrible for me , even though he does not seem to mind, but hell i do . Yesterday we were invited to a dinner party , and i was really uncomfortable the whole time i feltnold, warn out and mostly i had my neupogen that day so my bones were hurting. We left early and i spent all night getting over my discomfort.

kjones, i am glad you threw your tantrum it is healthy to do just that from time to time. At different levels we all feel the same and it is good to let it out .

• Jaytee
    edited January 2015

Oh Woodyb....I am not the only one! I wish neither of us had to experience that! It has happened to me before too. Dh and I work together in a small business and a couple other times someone thought I was his mom! It s kind of embarassing for them too when I say...no, I'm his wife!! When my Dad was still with us, he worked with us too. People looking for dh have always asked 'Where is the young fella?' He's been the young fella for 30 years!

Kjones......you can get a good rant out anytime you need to! It is so unfair to go through this at only 36. A big hug for you today...although I am with you in wanting my old life back too! Want so much to feel that energy I used to have...want to eat food that tastes good! My dd still has teenage dramas and I have to bite my tongue at times when she needs to talk about them. I guess I should be grateful that she still sees me as mom, not sick mom.....but it is hard to listen to sometimes. Good and bad days...I wish for you the good ones and we are all here to hold you through the bad ones.

judy

• springwatch
    springwatch Member Posts: 243
    edited January 2015

I have a question for those of you with liver mets. As you can see from the info below, I was diagnosed with mets to liver in Sept., although I have been dealing with bone and lung mets prior to this. I went in yesterday for my third cycle of gem/carbo, plus ibandronate for my bones. I went to bed last night with bone pain in my sacrum which I am used to. It's from the ibandronate but woke up a few hours later with pain in my liver, bad pain which is better this morning. This is the first time this has happened to me and I wondered if any one else has had a similar experience? I am due for scans in 2 to 3 weeks but after 2 cycles of this chemo my tumor markers have fallen by 25% and liver function tests have improved, too, so what happened last night was a real surprise.

• Jaytee
    edited January 2015

Springwatch....I was diagnosed back in May. I did experience pain on my right side..it kept me up some nights. My liver was swollen and had 3 spots on it plus there were lymph nodes lit up in my abdomen. I have been on taxotere and herceptin...was getting perjeta too until some heart issues convinced my onc to suspend it for now. The lymph nodes are no longer lit up...the spots are getting zapped by the taxotere. I do take a pain med twice a day. It helps, though I have been thinking of trying to cut it back and see if the pain would come back. It gives me a better quality of life for now. I hope you feel better soon. Have you ever needed pain meds for your bone mets? Wishing you pain free days.

judy

• springwatch
    springwatch Member Posts: 243
    edited January 2015

Hi jaytee,

Thanks Jaytee for your feedback. I have been taking paracetamol and naproxen since I was originally diagnosed with bone and lung mets. I started to develop liver pain when I was on Xeloda which didn't work for me at all. Things have improved since I went on gem/carbo which is why I was surprised by the pain especially as about 12 hours earlier my blood test showed that my tumour markers were down. I am taking dexamethasone (steroid) in tablet form today and tomorrow, I got it in my IV yesterday. As it has an anti-inflammatory effect, I thought I wouldn't experience an increase in pain. Really trying to work out if it is related to the chemo or something else.

• redwolf8812
    edited January 2015

springwatch - I get liver pain when the tumors are dying and also from the "dead" tumors that are left over from ablations. Given your falling TM's and improving liver function numbers, I bet the cancer in your liver is dying.

Prayers for all,

Penny