Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How are people with liver mets doing?

Comments

• mutherflush
    mutherflush Member Posts: 85
    edited December 2014

Hi Becky. I thank you for your prayers. My thoughts are with all of you that are having a hard time at the moment.

I believe the Good Lord is with us all otherwise we would not be coping with this journey. It is said that god would not give us a cross we couldn't bear. So we stay positive and strong and we can give this awfull disease a good fight.

Lots of love to you all.

God bless. X Helen

• smiley47
    smiley47 Member Posts: 91
    edited December 2014

Hi Helen:

Just noticed your post about markers going up on chemo when you have just started new chemo, I do believe they can go up significantly because the chemo messes up our whole system. My chemo nurse told me that she sees regularly people start chemo with normal markers too have them shoot up and then eventually go down but not always within range for "normal" because of the drugs in the system not because of the cancer. My onc has stated this too and the last time I was on chemo they stayed outside normal range for the liver by 20 points to go within normal range once chemo stopped, which is what the onc thought would happen.

Hope this helps , babbling a little, I hate email to explain myself.

• smiley47
    edited December 2014

Good morning Bestock:

Sorry chemo is giving you such a hard time, I found the only meds to help me since being rediagnosed was Advil, morphine and codine didnt touch the aching. Hope chemo works at controlling the cancer for all the pain of SEs. I'm awake with deer eyes after chemo yesterday and thought I would try to post on BC site as my Messages do not always work properly some kind of fault on my end I guess

• bestock
    bestock Member Posts: 186
    edited December 2014

thanks to all of you I see dr today will let you know I still am so exhaused and neuropathy is on my face again.. I hope I can get a bit of strength --needed. I did go to store How tired I was after 12 minutes... love you ladies and thanks...Smile

• redwolf8812
    redwolf8812 Member Posts: 580
    edited December 2014

Praying you feel better very soon, bestock. Keep us posted. SmilePenny

• bestock
    bestock Member Posts: 186
    edited December 2014

thanks i went to dr will be getting pt scan to see if the mets have gone elsewhere. thanks redwolf, smiley and helen.

• SyrMom
    SyrMom Member Posts: 575
    edited December 2014

Hi all ... I do a lot of lurking, reading, while I try and deal with the stress of stage IV and progression, as I know you understand.    I've been off tx since October due to a toxic reaction to Doxil.  Began Adriamycin today (sister to Doxil, but doesn't hang out in the fat cells like Doxil does), low dose, 3 weeks on/1 off (this chemo has been my biggest fear) .  I already said I won't be in on the 22nd, 3 days before Christmas.  Have never done that before, but I absolutely don't want to be nauseous, have mouth sores or too tired to enjoy my family that's coming in from out of town.  I'll begin the actual 3 week schedule in Jan. & hopefully not have another toxic reaction.  Tumor markers continue to rise, but I expected that after being off tx for so long; I've never been off tx since 2010!!  So, we'll see .... has anyone here had Adriamycin after being diagnosed stage IV?

• redwolf8812
    edited December 2014

Syrmom - I had it while still stage 3, in the neo-adjuvant setting. I actually didn't think it was too bad. I made sure I used baking soda & water every day in my mouth and throat and that seemed to keep the mouth sores away. Enjoy your Christmas!

SmilePenny

• ronniekay
    ronniekay Member Posts: 657
    edited December 2014

Trying to catch up & keeping everyone in my prayers & thoughts! I'm behind in preparing for the holidays but am just thanking Jesus I'm here to celebrate another year!

SyrMom...I'm happy you got a mini vacation so you'll feel good over the holidays! I hope once your body recognizes the Adriyamycin...TM's will start to fall! When you say you'd not been off treatment since 2010...and you've been off for 2 months...I guess I was a bit surprised TM's rose that fast. I've been off since 10/22, after 22 months, taking AI, her/perj and I'm so hopeful I stay stable. Hoping that's where A gets you!!!

Penny...have been thinking of you and wondering when you will get your new regimen...I'm calling it the one that's going to go gang busters on bad cells!!! Prayers always that you're feeling good!

Becky....hoping you feel stronger & that your ct shows no more growth...anywhere!

Thinking of all but gotta go...crazy winds & I'm going to get stocked up on some things if power goes off. It's been eerily calm the last few days and news reports say that can be a precursor to earthquake. They've had their seismic gear in the ocean giving some strange readings as no plates moving. They usually move letting pressure building escape...it's all silent.

• redwolf8812
    edited December 2014

I met with the Interventional Radiologist today and we've decided to try a procedure using "SIR-Spheres". To keep it short, they basically send microscopic beads containing radiation directly into the tumors in my liver. I have to get it done twice, once for each lobe. It's outpatient.

Tomorrow @9:30 I'll be doing a simulation. They'll do everything that's done in the real procedure except the beads won't have radiation in them. This is done to make sure that the beads don't have a way to escape and travel to another organ. Between prepping, the procedure, and recovery, I'll be there all day.

The 1st actual procedure may not be until after the holidays but we'll see how everything goes.

I will probably be very tired tomorrow night, but I'll post an update if I can.

Thanks for all your prayers.

:-) Penny

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited December 2014

Penny, I hope all goes well for you.

Leah

• Woodylb
    Woodylb Member Posts: 935
    edited December 2014

Penny, i hope SIR spheres will do some damage to the tumours , it is good that the procedure will be after the holidays. You will get to spend them peacefully. My prayers will be with you as always. God be with you. Xoxoxo

• Woodylb
    edited December 2014

Syrmom,

I am sorry you didn't get to find out what Doxil would have done to the tumours. But happy you got a little break from chemo. Maybe it will be good for you body to withstand Adriamycin . I got but at my first dx. For me it was a smooth ride, no nausea nothing except a little mouth sores to which i used the miracle mouth wash as it was ok and of course gained some weight. I hope it will be a smooth sail for you too , while destroying the beast. Hugs.

• Ardmore
    Ardmore Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2014

Hello

I'm scared because I was put on letrozole and only four months ago with only bone mets,and I had a  CT scan last week. I met with my doctor yesterday and he went over the results and it showed a lot spots on my liver. He has taking me off of letrozole because of what happen. Did letrozole failed anybody else like that?riamycin once a week for 8 weeks and he will do a CT after that.  I feel like giving up some times ,if any body can give me some advice please .

• smiley47
    edited December 2014

Hi Ardmore:

I had the same thing happen to me the anti hormonals did not work and each time we tried them I had progression to the origianal organ or bone or a new organ would show mets, very small but there. So we would change meds and the only one so far to work for me is taxol chemo. I have scans on 16 Dec and I am very worried about them but my blood counts are good. Try not to worry too much you do have lots of options and they have been caught the mets straight away because the docs are monitoring you carefully.

Hugs

• Ardmore
    Ardmore Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2014

Thanks for answering my question.  I'm going out of my mind,and crying all the time because I feel that since I failed  letrozole in four months then it will probably go down hill from there.  Does anybody know how Ariamycin works? I scared that this won't work. I will try not to worry so much but its been hard.

• smiley47
    edited December 2014

I think it is a type of chemo to help kill of the cancer cells, it would be given by the hospital I/A . I havent had it but I found taxol chemo better for SEs than hormonals.

Good luck, pm me if you like.

• redwolf8812
    edited December 2014

All went well today. Just tired. The real thing with real radioactive beads is on the 23rd.

Prayers for all,

Penny

• Woodylb
    edited December 2014

Ohhh! Penny just one night before Christmas, but at the same time if you do the procedure around Christmas time , it will be with the birth f our Lord Jesus , and I see it as a good omen. Since you have a week before the procedure try to rest as much as you can. All meds which we take are a killer . So please get some rest. We love you Penny and will be praying for you . Please keep me posted. Big hugs

• redwolf8812
    edited December 2014

Thank you, Woody! HappyPenny

• redwolf8812
    edited December 2014

P.S. Forgot to add that I'll be starting Xeloda on the 22nd because it's synergistic with the spheres.

Prayers for all,

Penny :-)

<3

• Woodylb
    edited December 2014

Excellent Penny, it makes sense and i hope it will do you good, xeloda is fairly tolerable :))) prayers and always prayers heading your way . Xox

• Trish03
    Trish03 Member Posts: 65
    edited December 2014

I posted a similar question on the Xeloda thread but later realized it probably belongs here. After 5 weeks on Xeloda, my liver enzymes jumped up this week for some reason. Onc said it could be a blockage, and I might need a stent. Luckily, I have scans coming up on Monday. Have any of you had to have a stent, and, if so, what's it like? I'm not having any pain, just some queasiness and diarrhea. I have no appetite. I'm hoping that maybe a dose reduction might help. I'm taking Zeloda, ONT-380, and Herceptin as part of a clinical trial. Any info about blockages or stents would be greatly appreciated. This is new territory for me.

Hugs, Trish

• car2tenn
    car2tenn Member Posts: 132
    edited December 2014

Thanks to all for your responses....I have been for a scan today and talked to the doctor afterwards. (you get this fabulous wonderful care for you the patient at Shands of Florida. Anyway, I was stage 4 out of the gate. One year later I am stable but the Radiologist MD wants to watch a suspicious area until my next scan in March...) so I will be haunting the remarks by others until I find out if I have liver mets...The Doc asked lots of questions regarding changes I might have noticed. Anyway I love reading what others are doing and what is the group opinion on certain treatments. thanks for the information. CDS

• Woodylb
    edited December 2014

Hi again Trish,

While on Xeloda i had my markers rising a little bit but not too much , i had a mixed response on Xeloda, some tumors were responding while others were't , in the same region(i.e. Liver). Xeloda causes diarrhea and its side effects are cumulative not sudden. The symptoms you are having may not all be related specifically to xeloda , you have also two other medicines , it could be a combination of all three. I do not know much about the stent , but i am surprised your onc would consider a blockage before scans and tests. My advise is to wait for your scan and see what it is , instead of worrying yourself. I hope it is not a blockage and that it is simply just a side effect which could betreated with meds . Hugs :)

• Jaytee
    Jaytee Member Posts: 738
    edited December 2014

Hi everyone...I haven't checked in for awhile. I have just been so very, very tired. Just had treatment #10 last week of taxotere and herceptin. Will have scans on Dec 29. Would have had them after the 9th one but my onc is out of town for the month. The last results were good and showing the treatment continuing to work....I am just not sure how much more I can take without getting a break for a little while. Would love to build some strength back up! I have had a hard time getting Christmas preparations done....told myself the week before treatment that I had to get everything finished up and then my feet and legs swelled up and I was having trouble getting around. Got sent to have my legs checked for blood clots and thankfully there were none. I have just decided that it's ok to keep everything low key this year. My family keeps telling me it's ok.

I hope you all are doing well. Penny....am praying and hoping for good results for you with the new treatment! Praying for you all and wishing everyone a Merry Christmas!

• ronniekay
    edited December 2014

Car2...hoping no liver mets for you! Trish..I agree w/Woody, can't imagine that type procedure w/out being scanned, which thankfully is probably done by now & will show no blockage & shrinking mets! Wondering how high of a spike you're seeing in enzymes & if tumor markers are out of whack. Every now and then my enzymes would be elevated but they'd go back down. Is this after a couple months being raised? Lotsa questions, sorry...just pondering & hoping for the best. Haven't fine xeloda but you have many experts here for consulting!

Penny...I knew something was the 22nd...xeloda! May it & the rad beads tomorrow do the job of cleaning out pesky cells! Renewed health & life!!!

Jaytee...the Doppler...know it well. I've had about 4...blessed w/varicose veins & sometimes they get warm & painful. So glad no clots & am going along with the family to say that your feeling rested (and good!!!) during Christmas would be a joyful thing!!! Will pray for continued good scans on the 29th. Hope there is good news about the end of taxotere being close!

Woody...soon it will be Christmas & your DH will be joining you at home! I hope you're feeling well & looking forward to seeing the drs & staff that love & care for you!

Babysitting Margaux & she's un decorating the tree...ugh. Oh well! Love & wishes for a beautiful holiday to all of you...my prayers are of thanks & for healing XOXO

• Woodylb
    edited December 2014

Ronniekayyyy! I was wondering when i will hear from you, i have missed you, but i am glad you are ok and perky as ever hehehe. Margaux is undoing your tree and my son's cat is undoing mine and it is driving me crazy lolllll, she is a four month siamese cat Arya and she is on fire.i habe had my last session today of the seconc cycle of hercept/perjeta, taxol. I had a long talk eith my onc here she is wonderful but the american hospital managerial skills suck, bureaucratic , paper work , paper work and then some mor paper work, typical american system, so i raised hell about it , ot is ridiculous they make you more sick than you are from running around floor to another. She agrees with me but told me they have been asking for a change but no one is listening . My DH is arriving tomorrow and i am so happy I missed him. I will have some help finally .

I want to wish you my dear dear friend a very Merry Christmas filled with joy, and plenty of blessings of good health and an abundance of happiness surrounded for always by your loved one. May this year brings along with it peace , love, to all human kind. Lots and lots of kisses and hugs and eishes for you to eat all the crabs you want till you drop xoxoxoxoxo

• Woodylb
    edited December 2014

To all the lovely ladies on this thread and all of BCO members and our dear moderators and all the people helping and keeping the memory of lost agels alive , my best wishes of a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, my they brings us all good health, joy for life and a long long life. Happy holidays everyone with lots of love and a new hope for a wonderful future. ((HUGS TO ALL))

Jaytee , it is ok not overdo things , it is enough to spend your Christmas with all your loved ones, and i wish you a break to get your strength back. Happy holidays.

Sweet Penny hing for the best news ever for you. May your coming days, be successful , pain free and peaceful. Having our Lord Jesus in your heart will pull out of anything leave yourself in his loving hands , he will never fail you nor let you down . Please let us know a soon as you can how it went. My thoughts will be with you.

• ronniekay
    edited December 2014

Amen to your beautiful words, Woody! I have to tell you how I laughed about the crab! We were getting a honey baked ham...for only 4 of us (dd & SIL don't eat ham) so I said for what the ham costs (they're delish but spendy), I'm buying crab!!!! I will be thinking of you!