Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How are people with liver mets doing?

Comments

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited December 2014

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to my dear friends. May the coming year bring joy to all.

And I hope Chanukah was lovely for all who celebrate. We're finishing Chanukah with a family party at my daughter's home tonight. Delightful!

Leah

• ronniekay
    ronniekay Member Posts: 657
    edited December 2014

Happy Chanukah, Leah!!! So wonderful your daughter is hosting the party tonight. Please give my love...with an extra heaping of hope...to your family! May the New Year hold endless joy!

• leftfootforward
    leftfootforward Member Posts: 1,396
    edited December 2014

happy holidays to everyone. May we all have many more wonderful experiences in 2015.

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited December 2014

I got a call from my onc today. Not a good sign - he's very good at calling back when I call, but I wasn't expecting this. My markers are going up a lot. He wants me to finish this cycle of Xeloda (which will be end of next week) and then do blood tests again. If they're still going up then it's going to be a change in tx (my markers are generally reliable, and this is a BIG jump).

Leah

• redwolf8812
    redwolf8812 Member Posts: 580
    edited December 2014

Sorry to hear that Leah S. Praying the next treatment does the trick.

- Penny

• in_cognito
    in_cognito Member Posts: 87
    edited December 2014

hi Leah. I had a big jump in markers too. Due for a petscan on Friday now and my onc is already obtaining auth for the new chemo to putme on. Wish this could have happened after Christmas! Oh well, it is what it is.

Maybe your next set of bloodwork will show a fluke.

• smiley47
    smiley47 Member Posts: 91
    edited December 2014

Hi Leah and InCognito:

Hope your markers stabilize, and hope the worry of treatment plans does not overwhelm you through the Christmas period. RonnieKay I hope you have a lovely Christmas and keep me posted on your treatment plan, I'm curious. Merry Christmas to all our friends here

• Woodylb
    Woodylb Member Posts: 935
    edited December 2014

Leah,

Happy Chanuka, it is so lovely to spend it with the people you love. I a, sorry about your markers, i hope it is only a false alarm and if not i hope your onc will find you the right combination. Praying for you. May this year bring you peace of mind and joy.

RonnieKay, have a wonderful Christmas and eat the crab on my behalf and i will eat turkey and ham on your behalf lollllll . Happy Holidays everyone !

In congnito, i am sorry about your markers, i hope you get the right medication this time around even if it is on Christmas your health is more important. I wish you a peaceful holiday.

Love , peace, good health to all of you lovely ladies and lots of prayers to you all .

• redwolf8812
    edited December 2014

Update from SIR-spheres procedure: I'm doing ok - thanks be to God! Next appointment January 28th. Procedure went well. Didn't feel a thing until recovery - had to lay flat on back with one leg straight for four hours. It caused such bad back pain plus I had to go to the bathroom - wasn't allowed up for that so I had to use a bedpan - how humiliating. I may have to do it again for the other liver lobe. But it could've all been worse so I'm grateful to God for getting me through it. And I'm grateful for all your prayers. Thanks, all. <3

SmilePenny

• Teakie88
    Teakie88 Member Posts: 97
    edited December 2014

Redwolf: Glad to hear you were able to have this procedure. When I was re-diagnosed in June of this year, my scans showed many liver lesions and with the help of Taxotere and H/P, my November scans show "significant decrease and low attenuation foci within the liver." I was wondering what qualifies for someone to be able to have the spheres procedure done. May I also ask why you had to have it done? Were your liver mets increasing? Ann

• Garlikbread
    Garlikbread Member Posts: 33
    edited December 2014

hey penny. I'm on my way home from hospital. Had surgery yesterday n I had to lie for 4 hours on my back n I had to use the bathroom so bad n they gave me a bed pan but I couldn't go in it. I made it to 3.75 hours and I was in the bathroom n I felt so relieved. Surgery went well had pain yesterday in my shoulder and side. Now I'm at about a 5 on pain scale

• redwolf8812
    edited December 2014

Ann - my oncologist believes in treating liver mets with a combo of chemo and targeted therapy. My most recent MRI showed in increase in liver mets. I could've gone on to another chemo combo, but she, my Interventional Radiologist (who did my previous 2 ablations), and I agreed that this would be a good change of pace. I'm also on xeloda for 2 weeks, because it's "synergistic" with the microspheres.

Garlikbread - glad you're ok. Don't be surprised if you develop a mild fever.

Prayers for all,

Penny

• Woodylb
    edited December 2014

Penny , i am so glad your SIR-SPHERES went well and i hope the results will show fast. Prayers and Merry Chiristmasbto you and your entire family.i am sure your faith will keep saving you.((HUGS))

• SyrMom
    SyrMom Member Posts: 575
    edited December 2014

Happy Holidays to all.  Wishing for us to have healthy livers in 2015!!  Smile In addition to healthy minds, bodies & spirits!

• Woodylb
    edited December 2014

Same to you Syrmom and Amen !

• Kuchenhexe
    Kuchenhexe Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2014

A few months ago I mentioned a CT scan and being worried about the results, since it would be my first scan after stopping chemo and starting AI. I realized I never commented with the results. Oops.

I just had another scan this month a couple weeks ago. The result of both scans: stable disease. No progression. The Femara and Zoladex are holding the line, and I have no pain or other sort of SE from the tumor. (Just joint aches and hot flashes from the drugs.) QOL is high. I was metastatic from time of diagnosis, confirmed by a PET and liver biopsy.

• redwolf8812
    edited December 2014

Yay, Kuchenhexe! Thank You, Lord! SmilePenny

• ronniekay
    edited December 2014

Woohoo Kuchenhexe! You give me hope...having gone on femara/her/perj, w/out my navelbine. How often are you scanned? Keep in touch...hope for continued news from stable!

Garlik...hope the pain is down to a 0...I like low numbers :). Due to chemo brain, I don't remember if you had the same spheres surgery Penny had? Lying flat, bedpan, sounding familiar. May you both be success stories!!!

Teakie...so happy for significant decease! I asked my onc about the procedure Penny had as well...I like the idea of a different combo (w/out chemo), but I'm not a candidate.

Leftfoot & Syrmom...so glad to see you!

Leah..concerned here...hoping it was a blip w/TM's...mine are very reliable too, but my onc always cautions they can bounce around. I do hope you were able to enjoy you celebration.

In cognito...any news yet on your PET? Hoping if new tx is necessary...it's the magic one!

We had a mellow (if you can call three grandkids and two dart guns mellow), thankful Christmas and I look forward, with hope, to our all being together for many New Years to come. We need THE cure :-)

• skylotus
    skylotus Member Posts: 265
    edited December 2014

Hi Ladies, I haven't been on this thread since 5 lesions were discovered in Sept. I've had a tough time with the Xeloda/Taxol combo of chemo. BUT, the scans I just had on the 23rd show the lesions on the liver and lungs are shrinking. Unfortunately, the progression on the bones is increasing.

I've also been using the Edgar Cayce castor oil/wool flannel pack over the liver area more consistently, and I still do the coffee enemas, both of which are supposed to help the liver.

One day at a time.....

• Woodylb
    edited December 2014

Skylotus, happy to see you post it has been a while. I hope you had a nice holiday. I am sorry to hear about your bine mets progression, where you taking any shots for bones while in treatment? Happy your liver mets are shrinking. It is strange because i have mets along the iliac bone and ehile on xeloda the iliac bone had a progression, while controled others. I get xgeva for the bones. I hope your MO finds soon something which will also control your bone mets. Wishing a healthy happy new year. :)

• skylotus
    skylotus Member Posts: 265
    edited December 2014

Hi Woody, well that is interesting...

I'm not on Zometa or Xgeva due to side effects. My Doc is on vacation, but I will be curious to hear what he has to say when I see him next.

Time will tell, one day at a time....

• Woodylb
    edited December 2014

Hi Skylotus, we are all on one day at a time , but i would ask if i were you because my MO told me it was the xgeva which held the mets on my spine stable , i am hoping the taxol will keep all of them stable , well i will know next week since i have my PET scheduled for the second of January. We will see like you said one day at a time. :))

• redwolf8812
    edited December 2014

Good to hear from you, skylotus. Let us know what your doc says!

:-) Penny

• Woodylb
    edited December 2014

to all you lovely ladies, a small prayer for 2015 , may it bring all of us good news and peace of mind !!

A New Year's Prayer,

Lord, you make all things new

You bring hope alive in our hearts

And cause our spirits to be born again.

Thank you for this new year

For the potential it holds.

Come and kindle in us

A mighty flame

So that in our time,

Many will see the wonders of God

And live forever to praise your glorious name.

Amen

Happy New Year everyone !

• redwolf8812
    edited December 2014

Love it, Woody! Happy New Year, as we celebrate the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God!

SmilePenny

• ronniekay
    edited December 2014

Thank you, Woody, my prayer as well!

Skylotus...sorry to hear about new lesions & tough treatment, but encouraged by shrinkage. Haven't experienced bone mets but hope your onc has some good info on controlling that....good to see you!

Thinking of all and sending wishes for Joy in the New Year...and a cure too!

• hydeskate
    hydeskate Member Posts: 45
    edited January 2015

Still on NED and on a Chemo Holiday for my cancer since Oct 2009 (dx 2008 Stage IV METs to Liver and lungs). I am also fighting an Auto Immune Disorder called Sjogren's, In a nut shell when my immune system came back on after Chemo (Oct 2010) it was defective and began attacking healthy cells particularly moisture making ones like eyes, mouth, skin, lungs, liver, kidneys, etc. We have been fighting to get the Immune system under control, without using medicines that will suppress my immune system cause my Oncologist is afraid if we suppress the Cancer will come back.

The Oncologist are have been theorizing that the Sjogren's is some how keeping the cancer under-control. To be honest for me fighting the cancer was allot easier since I had no side effects from all the chemo. Now I am not on Chemo and basically have all the side effects listed as side-effects of the Chemo's I took. After 2 years my immune system was still spiraling out of control, I was having extreme fatigue, swollen partoid glands, walking pneumonia, so my Oncologist approved me to start on Methoxrate. It helped some but not enough since April 2014 I have been going to the eye doctor every freaking month, I have had bacterial conjunctivitis every other month, inflammation of the cornea, also had a scratch on my cornea and about every other possible thing. I have no tears which means severely dry eyes to the point of Photo-phobia, my eyes are sensitive to light from indoor to outdoor, most of the times I have to wear shades.

I have figured out that Predisnoe stops the inflammation of my eyes allowng me to go without the shades, but my Rheumatologist doesn't want to give it too me long term.. Even though almost everyone in my family has been taking it for decades. My oncologist agrees with me on the Prednisone but convincing my rheumatologist is another thing, i got a month's worth out of him for December, and the month has been great, I have energy, can go outside with no shades. But as I figured it has been almost a week off and my eyes are inflamed once more, and the fatigue is coming back with a vegenance.

• chichimaine
    chichimaine Member Posts: 89
    edited January 2015

Happy New Year to all! Sorry I've been absent for about a month. Had another trip to the hospital for pneumonia...four day stay this last time. Am doing much better now. My onc gave me a three week respite from the chemo and I feel alive again! I can taste food and the aches and pains are almost non-existent. Was a nice break for the holidays, too. I started back on the Navelbine this past Monday. I had a talk with my onc and told him that if I was going to be sick and/or in the hospital all the time, then it wasn't worth it to continue the chemo. He agreed and has agreed to change my schedule...from 3 weeks on and 1 off, two 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off. The original schedule has shrunk the tumors in half, so we both feel that this new schedule will still be quite effective and allow me to have some quality of life. So far, so good. Second week will be this Monday and then I'm off until the 26th. Praying it will work and I can stay on this schedule.

I've missed so many posts and news on everyone...trying to catch up.

Penny - saw your news about more growth(ugh)...but also saw that your spheres procedure went well...Yay! It sounds like you have a wonderful team taking care of you. I continue to keep you in my prayers.

Woody - skipped a bunch of posts to catch up...how did your appt on the 2nd go? Hope all is well with you, my friend! And thanks for the beautiful prayer!!

Ronnie Kay - hope all is well with you, too, and that you are enjoying your respite from the chemo.

Leah - hoping to hear good news from you soon. Remember, there are many more treatments out there...sending prayers your way.

Happy New Year to all of we "Liver Ladies"! May we all have many, many more!!

• ronniekay
    edited January 2015

Chichi...I'm so happy you're going to 2 on, 2 off w/ Navelbine! It Will work and you'll have that time to rebuild...every day counts towards feeling better...and yes, ya gotta do it again but...it's working!!! Keep shrinking!!!

Hydeskate...one of my dearest friends has Sjogrens & we meet every now and then when I'm in her "neighborhood" for tx. Seriously, knowing & talking about her living with the disease, makes me think I got the easier crud to deal with. I'm so sorry you're battling that....but a thank God you remain NED (makes me hopeful). I've had some eye issues that I blame on perjeta....have had the prednisolone & even it is awful...tho healing. I hope whatever works, they will allow you to use. Prayers for you in this journey.

Missing ya'll but I've been getting things done around here preparing for my CA trip. Hope for all to be well. XOXO

• Woodylb
    edited January 2015

Chichi, so good to hear from you finally, i am sorry about your Chemo ordeal , but glad your doc found you another schedule which hopefully will make it easier for you and goves you a better quality of life. Praying your tumors will keep shrinking . My whole second cycle continued without major problems a slight a neutropenia which did not need me going to ER . I was supposed to have my first PET for this combo this last Friday but it was cancelled the last minute due to logistics in getting the nuclear injection . So i will have it in one month after i finish my 4th cycle . Keep us posted on your new regimen.

RonnieKay, i missed you my friend but i am sure you had a grand time with your grandchildren, and i am so happy you are getting ready to leave to CA i hope the trip will boost you back to full energy and i hope you will have a wonderful time.

Hydeskate, i am sorry you have to go through all this because of past treatment , and the worst is that they make us sign for this before each chemo. Unfortunately for us if we want to be treated we do not have much of a choice. I pray your new treatment will help your auto immune disease and i pray for you for a better quality of life. The good thing is you are still NED and i hope you continue to stay NED my prayers are with you.

Dear Penny, how are you feeling after your first SIR-SPHERE session? And when is your next? I am happy you have a good team who seem to be on top of things. My prayers are always with you.

Leah_S any news from your doctor?

To all of you wonderful ladies a year filled with renewed hope, an abundance of of joy, and hopefully a cure !