Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How are people with liver mets doing?

Comments

• josalive
    josalive Member Posts: 53
    edited March 2015

tryn2staycalm - I completely understand what you're going through. I was diagnosed about 3 weeks ago and have been on an emotional roller coaster. Some days I feel like I can handle this and am ready for the fight and the next minute I am crying uncontrollably. I keep trying to look to my Faith and trust in my doctors but I keep getting pulled into a dark hole when I'm least expecting it. My son who is only 2 is having a hard time when I leave in the morning and doesn't want to leave the house. I feel like my emotions are putting my family and friends through an even harder time and I need to pull it together but I just can't seem to get in a stable place. The Ativan definitely helps but I am also afraid of the heavy narcotics. I don't need an addiction to fight on top of an advanced cancer diagnosis. I was thinking of trying to talk to a therapist but that's also another expense on top of the expensive cancer. I'm hoping it gets better with time but knowing what we have ahead... I'm not so sure it will. I'm starting to think this Stage IV cancer is more of a mental battle than it even is a physical one.

The thing that has been helping the most is to know that treatment is good and getting better and we never know how long we have so keeping a positive attitude and enjoying every day is what we have to do. Good luck to you.

• mutherflush
    mutherflush Member Posts: 85
    edited April 2015

Hi everyone. I started my clinical trial yesterday forADZ4547. I have been off chemo for 8 weeks and my scan last week shows that my liver lesions have not grown. I thought this might give you ladies who are on chemo breaks a little peace of mind. During my 5 cycles of Halaven my liver lesions actually doubled in size. I find it very strange.

I am scheduled for another ct scan in 6weeks to see how things are going. Will keep you posted.

Good luck to all who are waiting for results. Keep positive.

X

• Woodylb
    Woodylb Member Posts: 935
    edited April 2015

Chichiiii,

I am so happy you are enjoying your time with your brothers since it has beeen a long time since you have seen them last. I am sure this will be a great moral boost for you. Best of all you are getting out of the house , and this will let you focus less on your spasms . I wish in time you will be ready yet for another healing round of chemo. Big cyber hug for you .

• Woodylb
    edited April 2015

Mutherflush,

I wish you luck on your new trial and that you soon would post good results to us. My prayers are with you

• Bonski68
    Bonski68 Member Posts: 18
    edited April 2015

Cathy,

You are not alone! I take Klonopin for anxiety, Effexor for depression, and Trazodone for sleep. I've tried other sleeping meds but they only worked for about 4 hours (I have problems falling and staying asleep).

Unlike before, when I could make decisions with no problem, it now takes me a long time and I change my mind a lot...even for simple things. Even writing this takes me longer because I keep deleting and rewording things....I think it's all stress related.

I found out about my liver mets recently too. Just curious, how big and how many lesions do you have and what kind of treatment are you getting?

Bonnie

• Bonski68
    Bonski68 Member Posts: 18
    edited April 2015

Penny, I'm so sorry to hear about the news. Sending you hugs!

Bonnie

• SyrMom
    SyrMom Member Posts: 575
    edited April 2015

Penny, think of you today & wishing you peace & hope. 

• tryn2staycalm
    tryn2staycalm Member Posts: 470
    edited April 2015

Josalive -Thanks so much for your response.  It does help knowing I'm not alone feeling like this.  However your so young and with a 2 year old.  Seems not fair!  My doctor did call me back and told me that I'm ok in this situation to take Ativan daily for up to 2 weeks.  He will at that time see if I am over the hump or see if I need something more long term like celexa.  Don't be afraid to ask for help. He said it is quite normal to feel the way I do.  We shouldn't have to battle this without the help of drugs.  Yes trust our doctors to help with this and our oncologist to find a tx that buys us as much time as possible.  Good luck to you!  What tx are you on?
    Bonski68 - At least they have you covered for it all - glad to hear that.  I am not sure about my size and how many.. just heard spots on liver, have lung mets too but very little change there than goodness. Treatment has changed to Faslodex injections and the shock set in.  If that doesn't work then more chemo.  That was about all I could process in one day.  I have never been one to ask too many questions as maybe it will only make me feel worse.  Just me.. others want to know it all.  I may find out more as I can start to handle it.  What tx are you getting?  Good luck with it!

• Woodylb
    edited April 2015

Josielove and tryn2staycalm,

I am sorry you both had to join the club of liver metsters, but as you will see a lot of love and care here .

I understand you fear and inability to understand all this, it is hard but not undoable. Stage four is rollercaoster ride to all of us. There will be good days and bad ones. Somehow, we learn to live with it. Some are doing just that. You will get to this place , just give yourselves time to let the idea sink in. Being mentally strong is very important as it contributes to your well being and ability to endure. However, i do not see anything wrong with either of you taking Ativan , if you feel you need it. I take stilnox ( ambian) and half a xanax every night since 15 years, i only take them when i want to sleep. I never took at any other time. Some cancer meds will cause insomnia , i am an insmoniac by nature. So if you feel it is helping you , i think you should take it. Frankly addiction is not the problem at this stage. As soon as either of you start treatment, things will get better once you have the plan and know what is being done. It is a hard situation for the both of you soecially when there are children involved. I wish you both good luck on your upcoming treatments hoping they will be successful.

• redwolf8812
    redwolf8812 Member Posts: 580
    edited April 2015

Just met with oncologist. Waiting for my first infusion of Gemzar, followed by Herceptin. 2 weeks on, 1 week off. We shall see. Praise God I'm still here.

• springwatch
    springwatch Member Posts: 243
    edited April 2015

penny, I hope the gemzar works! I am on it and find it a bit easier to tolerate than the carboplatin. It is working well on my liver mets.

• freebird53
    freebird53 Member Posts: 141
    edited April 2015

Hello Ladies...Wow...I have been out of the loop for about 3 weeks...2 of those weeks I was in and out of the hospital dealing with SE from Halaven....and my hernia....finally found out why I was having shortness of breath ...now on inhaler....had nebulizer treatment in hospital for 3 days came out felt awesome...had 8 days off from treatment...go in tomorrow for treatment...counts are up ....Wahoo...been have shots to get those up....

Had a awesome Sunday...was the Grand Marshal/Poster Woman for a Motorcycle event for cancer patients/survivors...over 580 bikes attended....I was so honored...and rode for the first time since I sold my bike back in July....The wind of God was so healing for me...

I am hoping and hugging to all my sister's here...that you are well..I have read most of the posts...but if I miss one day...I feel out of the loop...and I apologize for not keeping up with you all...sometimes sitting and typing is just not on my priority list when I feel like crap...But I miss and love you all...L&R Carla

See me ....See me...I'm in the middle with my mouth wide open...LOL....Just honored....Peace Out !

• chichimaine
    chichimaine Member Posts: 89
    edited April 2015

Penny,

Much love and many prayers to you!!! I'm here (as I know many others are) anytime you want to vent! Praying the new treatments will begin working even today!

Woody - big cyberhugs right back at you! Am enjoying the time with my brothers. My husband is trying to surpress the joy of our reunion - a jealous man, even of my brothers, but we are enjoying ourselves nonetheless. Thinking of you and hoping all is well.

Welcome - (sort of) - to our new members. The weeks following diagnosis are some of the worst, but it does get easier to deal with as time goes on. I agree with Woody - take the Ativan as needed. I am taking it daily to help with the coronary artery spasms and not worried one whit about it being addictive. You will find so many great ladies here who will help you through - they sure have helped me! Love and hugs to all!!!

Debbie

• Woodylb
    edited April 2015

Chichiii,

Lolllll, men are like babies they tend to get possessive because they want all the attention ! I am so happy for you and your brothers to be able to spend time together after all these years , it must be amazing. I am sure your heart spasms got better :)) and hopeful you will soon be able to go on with your treatment and dessimate those buggers. Meanwhile, keep having a blast and enjoy every minute of the attention you're getting from the men of your life . My son is coming home for four days today , to renew his resdency and will be going back monday , so i am happy. Big cyberhugs to you too with lots of love!!

• benjnate
    benjnate Member Posts: 105
    edited April 2015

Awesome pic Freebird - lots of love in that photo! I'm so happy for you for the support you're getting.

Laura

• tryn2staycalm
    edited April 2015

Thank your for your input and support ladies.  Taking my Ativan.  Waiting to feel like my old self again.  Although I have been stage IV for 10 months (lungs) the progression to liver hit me hard.  I seen my mother in law with same metastatic bc go to her liver.  Brings back some not so nice memories.  Am I right in thinking the survival rate for liver mets is shortened time wise?  Trying to start educating myself.  Has helped before.  Good luck to all you ladies with your tx's and new tx's!

Cathy

• Woodylb
    edited April 2015

tryn2staycalm,

Good for you if Ativan keeps you calm you should take it as needed not less or more. My advise to you is to be informed about liver mets , but do not go much into it or you would get lost and it will depress you. It is true that finding out you habe MBC is bad enough and having a progression to another organ is notconsidered good news. There is nothing in stage IV reassuring but people survive somehow. Visceral mets are worse than others. But again there is no some people live with and do better than others and others don't. My advise to you is to stay focused , take care of yourself , do not let the cancer take over your life and get a good oncologist , one you like and trust.

I hope you find peace of mind and inner peace. :)

• Woodylb
    edited April 2015

Freebird, nice pic glad you enjoyed the day and many more :))

• apackoftwo
    apackoftwo Member Posts: 64
    edited April 2015

Josalive - your post says it all - thank you - I have bone, spine and one liver met. Currently taking Xeloda which has kept the bone situation stable but not working so well for the liver - will stay on 2 more cycles - one week on - one off and then do a scan. This has hit me very hard also - I am usually an articulate person but lately I feel frozen and although there is so much going on in my mind I can't seem to find the words to express it. So far, this has been a 3 year journey and I have managed to stay out of the clutches of depression - but for the past 2 months I seem to have lost interest in my life - I have been told that antidepressants are not allowed with Xeloda - if anyone has used Xeloda and an antidepressant I would appreciate hearing about it. Don't think I am going to kick start myself out of this one without some chemical help!

Though your post is sad and I wish none of us had to feel this way, I appreciate it - it is so honest. Thank you. Susie

• leftfootforward
    leftfootforward Member Posts: 1,396
    edited April 2015

I am on Xeloda and have been on the antidepressant Celexa (generic form is Citralopram HBR) 20 mg tablests. I took 2 tablets once a day. I have since gone off of them but find myslef thinking I should start back on them. Chemo of all types changes the chemistry in our brians so we have a medical reason for having depression. it is more than just us having a hard time dealing with the realitiy of living with cancer. I thank my mom every day, who was a cancer counselor, as she was the one who told me it wasn't just in my head. So I would ask again. It does help with getting out of the rut. I am also taking Tykerb for my brain mets and I did fine on that with the Celexa as well.

• benjnate
    benjnate Member Posts: 105
    edited April 2015

apackoftwo - I am on 75 mg of Effexor daily and that would be the LAST med I would ever give up as that is one of the reasons I feel I have gone on almost 6 yrs. The Effexor helps me be able to keep a level head (for the most part, lol). I was on Xeloda for a year with taking Effexor everyday - ask your Onc about that.

Those with liver mets, try not to fret so much. I've had liver mets since 2011 and although they are getting worse right now, there is still a lot we can do. Actually, if you're getting liver mets just now, you have more options that were not open to me even just a few years ago. Believe me, I wish they weren't in my liver but it just is what it is. But life goes on and is still very do-able.

Laura

• lauriesh
    lauriesh Member Posts: 82
    edited April 2015
    I agree with Laura. I have taken Wellbutrin for almost 5 years and it has helped me a lot. I have also taken a lose dose of Ativan, as needed, for the last 5 years and don't have any issues with addiction.

There is a lot of hope for those with liver mets. I was diagnosed almost 5 years ago with them and have been Ned for over 4 years.

Laurie
  • SyrMom
    SyrMom Member Posts: 575
    edited April 2015

Laurish - I'm curious to know which chemo helped you to reach NED.  I've read this before, becoming NED with liver mets, it's so encouraging.

• leftfootforward
    edited April 2015

I hesitate to call myself NED but my Ct of my body have no mention of liver mets or masses. My insurance stopped paying for PET scans over 9 months ago as the last one I had did not show any cancer activity. Since then the CT scans have never mentioned liver masses. My brain scans have been good as well (minus the scar tissue). I have been on Xeloda and Tykerb since 12/2012

• lauriesh
    lauriesh Member Posts: 82
    edited April 2015

I was on Taxotere/Herceptin for 7 rounds, then had ablation on the one remaining tumor.

Have remained on Herceptin (also added in tykerb for a year, now have added in perjeta) since then.

I also did a her2 vaccine trial in Seattle a few years ago.

Laurie

• apackoftwo
    edited April 2015

Hi Leftfoot - I am on Xeloda, working for bone, spine mets but not so well for liver. What is Tykerb?

• tryn2staycalm
    edited April 2015

I like hearing 4 and 5  years since liver mets!

Finding hope again with a calm soul is what it is all about. 

Thanks again ladies,

Cathy

• leftfootforward
    edited April 2015

apackoftwo- Tykerb is something that is used in tandom with Xeloda. I am on it for my brain mets.

• apackoftwo
    edited April 2015

Leftfoot - I know, but is it another chemo med or something else?? Wonder why I am on Xeloda alone? Seems I have read quite a few are on the combo.

• Woodylb
    edited April 2015

Apackoftwo,

I was also on Xeloda alone , if you are Her2 negative , xeloda would be taken alone and if you are Her2+ then it will be given with herceptin, tykerb or something else which is her2 + only. Xeloda is a chemo ans since it is taken 15 days in a row , usually it is given alone. After the third cycle on xeloda they scan , if it is not working properly , the should switch to another combo. I got a mixed results it worked on some of my liver tumors but my hip bone increased in activity and on side of the liver also was not working so my onc stoped it.