Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

FEC-D regime

Options

Comments

• flannelette
    flannelette Member Posts: 398
    edited February 2014
    Options

I guess an enlarged lymph node in the axilla can be a warning sign of more cancer, which they hope to have eradicated the first time around. so they are obligated to find the source. so they do an ultrasound and they find yet another even larger node. so they do a fine needle biopsy, which shows nada.

But, they have not searched enough yet. so they do ct scan of the pelvis and abdomen, they do bone scans of the entire skeleton including both sides of cranium and down to fingertips. and I guess that other kind of scan was in there too - the one where people go claustrphobic - MRI, and they meanwhile are injecting you with dye at crucial point of the scan so everything shows up really clear. and if there is still nothing, well, there's nothing for it but to dissect 6 nodes! They feared an new occult primary. They did everything but throw in the kitchen sink. Actually, they were just being good, thorough, doctors.

Just think, in the US we would probably have to fight our insurance co's for such thoroughly responsible care. Even though I could have kicked one resident in the head as he came in foir maybe the 12th bp measurement prior to the surgery. and, after, it kind of felt good to know that no, apparently, as far as they could tell, 4 yrs after dx they couldn't find one fledgling colony starting, and they had to admit the enlarged lymph was from some other cause - my rash from hell.

By the next mammo  there were no more enlarged lymph nodes. there was, however, in some lung x-ray or whatever - a granule (too small to be a nodule) in a lung 3 months later - another ct scan. no change. anothjer 6 months - no change. I "forgot" to go the last and final one because I just couldn't stand another scan. I hope it was just a leftover car from some previous pneumonia (which I had), which is what my surgeon figured.

• Amazonwarrior
    Amazonwarrior Member Posts: 140
    edited February 2014
    Options

I didn't know that a rash can cause the LD's to enlarge. I am glad though that you had that cleared. It must have been a real pain in **** to have to deal with all the tests and the stress that came with it. These LD's seem to be very finicky. When I had my infection the LD's looked enlarged on the US. Well, it turned out to be an abscess that had to be drained. The whole process of dealing with the abscess cost me a week in the hospital and then a three week delay in my chemo treatment.

• Amazonwarrior
    edited March 2014
    Options

Warning: rant ahead!

I am tired of winter. I am tired of not having hair and a boob. I am tired of my dry, itchy, cracking skin and prematurely aging face. I am tired of a drippy, sometimes bloody nose and burning, watery eyes. I am tired of having sore gums, mouth sores and taste buds with mind of their own. I am tired of constant digestive problems: nausea, constipation or diarrhea, which one is next? I am tired of always popping pills for various SE. I am tired of my sore picc line and having to wear a sleeve every time I'm taking a bath. I am tired of my itchy, hot wig. I am tired of not having the energy to play with my son. I am tired of always being stuck at home. I am tired of waking up 3-4 times a night to change my soaking wet clothes and go to the bathroom. I am tired of fishing lashes out of my eyes. I am tired of being anxious about the future. I am tired of looking like a cancer patient. I am tired of being constantly tired. I am TIRED!!!

• Gonein40
    Gonein40 Member Posts: 76
    edited March 2014
    Options

amazonwarrior. I sympathize with you all the way.  I am tired of all this shit too. It's funny how ones life changes so dramatically in the blink of an eye. Things will get better. We don't know when but they will. Debi 

• Amazonwarrior
    edited March 2014
    Options

debi: I finished my last chemo yesterday. I am very happy to have crossed the finnish line. Where are you at with your treatment?

• Gonein40
    edited March 2014
    Options

So glad you are done with your chemo.  I am half way thru chemo n going to be doing 25 rounds of rads starting in July. :-(.

• Amazonwarrior
    edited March 2014
    Options

debi: When are yoy starting with Docetaxel/ Taxotere? I too will be doing 25 rads starting at the end of April. I am currently digging myself out of a chemo hole. Not fun! I had a pretty restless night with hot flashes, cold sweats.

• Gonein40
    edited April 2014
    Options

amazonwarrior. I will have my d part starting on 15 th of April. Then again in may. I am not looking forward to the neupogen shots.  As I am a big wimp to give myself a needle.  But sometimes we have to do what we gotta do.  

• Amazonwarrior
    edited April 2014
    Options

Debi: Are you done with FEC? I found that the D part was not an easy walk as I had quite a bit of bone/joint/muscle pain after each infusion. After the 2nd D, I started to take some L-glutamine which in my mind helped keep neuropathy at bay as well as reduced overall pains. I took 30g on day  3-6 after the infusion and vitamin B6 50 mg daily. They also iced my fingers and toes during each infusion to cut down on any nail changes. I got to say that it worked very well, as I had no problems with them at all.

I didn't have any problem giving myself the Neulasta shot. I used the belly to put the needle it as it is not as sensitive as let's say the thighs. 

• Gonein40
    edited April 2014
    Options

Amazonwarrior I'm gearing up for these treatments.  I appreciate the info I am willing to try anything to help. Hope your rads go smooth for you. Thinking of you. Hugs 

• Gonein40
    edited April 2014
    Options

had great news today. I am negative for BCRA 1&2. Yahoo. I am so happy for my girls.  

• Amazonwarrior
    edited May 2014
    Options

gonein40/debi: I am thrilled to hear such good new. On the same note, I had my genetics councelling appointment today and I am going to do the bloodwork ASAP. They said it's going to take about 6-8 weeks to get the results here in Ontario. Also today I finished my 7/25 rads. I am feeling tired already, weak with dizzy spells and pulsating sensation in my ears, very weird. I had my blood preasure taken by the nurse at the hospital  today and it was on the lower normal range. 

I am experiencing some redness and tenderness on the treated skin as well as my cording in the axilla came back. 

My leg muscles still feel sore from my last chemo. 

Other than that: I am fine!Winking

• Gonein40
    edited May 2014
    Options

Amazon I'm glad that I had that done. W having girls to worry that I would pass this on was a terrible feeling.  It is well worth it indeed.  Good to hear that your rads are going ok for you.  I have decided not to go thru w mine as the percentage is slim to none w or without them. They left that decision up to me.  So as long as I am ok w not doing them n I am the one that has to be. My DH is ok w whatever I decide. I am just waiting to hear from results from second CT scan done just yesterday. I have 2 more treatments  to do n then hopefully I am done.  Time will tell eh.  I do hope that you feel better n that they figure out your spells.  Nothing like adding fuel to the fire of everything else that's going on w us. 

• Amazonwarrior
    edited May 2014
    Options

debi, 

I hope that your CT results will come negative. 

My RO told me that getting rads in my case is a clear benefit because I had 2 + nodes as well as extensive DCIS. He mentioned that RT decreases chances of recurrence by a significant amount approx 30%.

It is substantial enough for me to be convinced that I need to have it. 

You may want to consider the following:

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-us/cancer-ne...

• footballnut
    footballnut Member Posts: 449
    edited May 2014
    Options

hi all. I just found this thread. Doesn't look active anymore but thought that is try as I just started FEC. If anyone's out there let me know

:-)

• Amazonwarrior
    edited May 2014
    Options

footballnut: I am still here. We can have a chat if you like. :)

• footballnut
    edited May 2014
    Options

hi amazon. How r u doing?  Are you all done treatment now?  I hope that ure doing well. My treatment is FEC followed by taxotere then herceptin. I had my first infusion last wed. Nausea right away bit other than that and bit of tiredness in doing ok. Getting my head buzzed this Thursday

I also have a port which I hate but I better get used to it!!  Lol

How did you find it?

Have a nice day!!

• Gonein40
    edited May 2014
    Options

football. I'm also on this site.  I had my daughter shave my head 14 days after first FEC treatment because it was coming out by the hand gulls. It was just easier to adjust to not having hair.  I did get a cpl of wigs. Don't wear them too often. I wear bandana more often. Not too much nausea with those treatments. Had a reaction to stemitil. So now know I can't take that.  Regular gravol could help as well if needed for me.  I have found this site as informative as the Canadian girls site. So stay tuned.  Debi 

• footballnut
    edited May 2014
    Options

tx Debi. Nice to c u here!!

I bought a pink beanie at the running room today. I think that this will become my best friend. Funny I was never a pink girl but suddenly it's become my favourite colour. 

At this point I feel very fortunate that I've had no major side effects. I hope that it stays this way. The worst for me was the nausea and vomiting day 1 but I'll talk to my nurse about that. Other than that I was very tired the nights of day 1 2 and 3

The only other wired thing so far was feeling wired and being unable to sleep for a couple of nights. Oh yes and a small pooping issue

What I thought was SE cramping yesterday was actually me period starting. Yay!!  Lol

I am so hopeful that all continues in this manner for next 2 infusions but I've heard that SEs are cumulative

Hope not!!!!!!

• Gonein40
    edited May 2014
    Options

yes they can be cumulative.  Keep on top of the bowel issues. I was constipated a bit so I ducolax night before treatment and for the new few days after it seemed to help.  Then the chemo diharea kicked in the fourth day. Lol.  Softer than normal. I know tmi. But it's good to know all that we can.  It's funny how nothing seems to be off limits here.  I have had lots of help w things from the sisters on here. It helps.  Being wired is prob from the steroids and not being able to sleep will be the norm for you. U can take a herb  melatonin  you can get this from health food store. It helps somewhat with not being able to sleep.  Sometimes I think we just don't know how to shut off our minds n they keep going long after we r in bed.   Keep positive thoughts and things will get going into routine.  As far as the pink being your new colour. It's weird u should say this but it's true   I have three grown girls have had lots of pink in my world. But u seem to look at it in a new picture when it happens.  Hugs. Ttyl. 

• footballnut
    edited May 2014
    Options

I've also noticed that I've been blowing my nose a lot!!  It's becoming a past time as is peeing every hour!!  Lol

I'll be going to a breast cancer support group tomorrow at wellspring. Hoping to share and learn more. This board and all of the women on it has been and continues to be fantastic!!!!  It's amazing what we can get through. Even events such as cancer can have positives by connecting you with wonderful people such as urself!!

:-)

• Gonein40
    edited May 2014
    Options

the nose thing doesn't stop. It's annoying but it's because of no nose hairs lol. Then there is always the eyes. Running or they are crusty most of the time. I'm a strange bird list all of my hair except for eyebrows and some lashes. My legs n arms are growing back.  My head looks like a spiked up monkey right now lol. It's good that I can laugh cause that's what makes it more bearable for all that we go thru.  It only gets better each day. Hugs n stay strong. 

• footballnut
    edited May 2014
    Options

yup. Uve got to laff!!  My license expires end of July and I was hoping that is receive my renewal before losing my hair since I need a new picture which lasts for 5 years. I remember when my surgeon told me that I was a candidate for chemo. The first thing that I thought after " am I going to die" was - how am I going to get my photo taken for my license?  Crazy!!  Lol. Amazingly and thankfully I got my renewal firm yesterday and got my butt to the licence office this morning for my photo. Great timing because I'm getting my head shaved today!

Yesterday was the worst with stomach cramping and constant pooping!  Of course the peeing is non stop because of all the water that I'm drinking!!  Lol. Today my stomach seemed much better and no cramping yet. Hope that it stats that way

Seems that following that BART diet and drinking t helped!!

Are you all fine with treatment now?

• Amazonwarrior
    edited May 2014
    Options

Footballnut: I am doing relatively fine. I am due for my 13/25 radiation today, so by then I'll be over the hump.

So far the SE have been manageable, mainly fatigue, dizziness due to positioning hypotension and weakness, skin is looking slightly pink,  plus I have some deeper tissue tenderness. The cording in the axilla is back after I started RT, as well. 

I didn't have a port, I had a PICC line in my upper left arm. I hated having it, but put up with it because I didn't want to wreck my veins, and Epirubicin can do just that if it leaks out. 

I found that with FEC I had nausea on day 1 which ranged from feeling sick to my stomach to actual vomiting, but that happened only once for me, because I asked my MO to give me a better anti nausea drug called Emend. For sleeping I was taking Apo-Zopiclone 1x 7.5g as I was advised againts taking Melatonin due to its antioxidant properties. I just recently stopped taking my sleep aid pills. Rads really tire me out and I sleep better and deeper than ever. 

As far as a period goes, I got my period after my 1st FEC and then I entered into so called chemo pause and stayed there for 4 months with its menopausal SE like hotflashes and night sweats that botherd me especially at night making sleeping a challenge. Yesterday, however, I got my period back! Huray! (meant sarcastically).

It started with the usual cramping and then light spotting. Nothing major, but for sure annoying and disappointing as I was hoping that my chemopause would turn into a permanent menopause. I guess it must be my age, since I am only 42 and Mother Nature does whatever she wants. I heard someone comment on Mother Nature being hormonal. Well she is definitely that!  Now I'm getting the 'best' of both worlds by having cramping and hot flashes at the same time! Yay!

I started to lose my hair on day 15 after my 1st chemo. I had my hair cut on day 10, so I wouldn't go through a shock when the hair loss happens. It came out in clumps and ended vaccuming it for a while until I finally decided to cut it even shorter to only a few millimetres in length. I am slowly starting to grow it back, but it is as I said a slow process growing back in patches, more in the back and sides than on top. I currently look like an old man with pepper and salt colour on the scul's periphery, but the top  is still shiny. My hubby commented on it the other day saying that the top of my head shines so much it really hurts his eyes! Lol

I got my free wig through Canadian Cancer Society, but I also ordered one through the American web site called TLCdirect. The price seemed right $54, but they had a ridiculously big shipping charges of $38.25!!!

My runny then bloody nose and watery eyes seemed to persist throughout the whole chemo and after. I am 6 weeks PFC and still experiencing some of that. The nose issue is better, but eyes do get watery mailnly when I am outside and it's windy. 

I agree with Goine40 in regards staying on top of your digestive SE. Being proactive is always better, then dealing with the issues after they happen. So eating high fiber, prunes and Docusate Sodium for the big C or white rice, boiled carrots and Imodium for the big D and some Gravol ginger chewy pills for nausea. And of course the #1 mantra during this treatment is:

Hydration. Hydration. Hydration.

(At least 2-3 L per day.)

• Amazonwarrior
    edited June 2014
    Options

In regards to getting a licence done after losing my hair, I actually got my Health card renewed yesterday.  My wig must have looked very natural because I had no problem getting my picture taken.

I don't mind wearing some pink either. Here is my latest pic at 6 weeks PFC. 

• Gonein40
    edited May 2014
    Options

awesome pic amazon.  Good for you. Pink is the new you.  :-) football. I am two days past my second neulasta shot n so far no SE. I have no pain in muscles and bones and let's hope it stays that way.  My flower gardens need tending too. Lol

• Amazonwarrior
    edited May 2014
    Options

gonein40: Did some gardening today as the weather was really beautiful. 

Here is a pic of my tulips which I had to coat with Vics mixed with crushed garlic to prevent squirrels from eating them. 

• Gonein40
    edited May 2014
    Options

good day for being outside.  We had a family BBQ today. It was great.  I can't wait to be able to have bon fires n camping.   It's gonna be great.  Love the flowers.  Exileraant colours.   

• Lolis
    Lolis Member Posts: 294
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi,

I am staring the first FEC on Thursday. Having a PICC line inserted on Wednesday. My hair is way shorter than before, I cut it a week before the surgery and I plan on shaving it off a week after the first treatment and have an appointment for a wig fitting on May 28 at PMH I sort of picked out one already but didn't try it one. I hope my hair comes back in curls :-) (I know vanity).

Happy sunday!!

• Gonein40
    edited May 2014
    Options

Lolis. I had to get my picc line rewired last week before my treatment.  I am so going to glad to get this out. My last treatment is on the 27 th of this month.  My hair was kinky curly before I started treatments. I'm 47 yrs old and I am more than accepting to let it go natural for colour or kink whichever way it goes.  U will be glad you shave it off. I had a real issue with my hair falling out in clumps. My DH wanted me to let it fall out naturally.  No way on earth was I doing that.  Lol. Now my hair is growing at a far slower rate than I would like.  But on a good note I never list my eyebrows or my eyelashes.  My hair on legs starting growing back after 2nd treatment.  I just had to shave my armpits yesterday.  So maybe you will be one of those that don't loose all your hair either.  But after all. It's just hair.