Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

FEC-D regime

Options

Comments

• Lolis
    Lolis Member Posts: 294
    edited May 2014
    Options

Thanks Gonein40. That's the reason I want to shave it off as I don't want to see it fall. I always did all sort of things to my hair and that was my motto "it's just hair". I am a bit more concerned about my eyelashes and eyebrow (kind of like them the way they are now) as I am not the greatest in drawing. Oh well at least I will be working from home :-).

Did you use a sleeping cap? 

• footballnut
    footballnut Member Posts: 449
    edited May 2014
    Options

hello all

Above is hubby and myself. Aren't we too cute?  Lol. 30 years later who would think that id lose my hair first!!  Lol

Beautiful day today and it was such a great weekend. My DH and I volunteered at a BBQ at Erin mills Mazda this past Saturday in support of the cdn breast cancer foundation. It was awesome. I met atleast 3 survivors with great stories! Do inspirational!

The gm of my company really pissed me off last fri When I checked my wmd he sent me a request at 7:30 in the morning to connect with him on linkedin. For those of u not familiar with this it is a networking tool for business. When u send a request to connect with someone a default message appears which can be changed. He didn't even bother to change it. I haven't heard from him since starting my std then receive that. I may not have minded as much had he changed the default message to atleast say how are u doing? I got do mad!!

Other than that my scalp drive me wacko last night with itching. After applying a cold compress it seemed to calm down instantly. Day 13 today and I still have my hair. Fall out already !!

I drank a cup of non sweetened cranberry juice this morning. Ugh ! That was disgusting! I plan on drinking a cup 4 x a week and it will NOT be fun!!

Lolis I have not used a sleeping cap yet since buzzing my hair last Thursday.  I haven't worn my wig once. I usually wear a beanie or a light beanie and a cap

Yesterday I sat outside with my buzzed head. Felt great!  I just ensure that I am not directly in the sun. 

I feel like I am getting super addicted to exercise!  I'm walking approx 5 -8 km a day and leaving shortly for today's walk. I'm going to try and start my weights today too. 

I removed my steri strips from my port yesterday so now what u see is what u get!!  Lol

I appreciate the sharing re FEC. I truly hope that my SEs stay as they have been. Two more rounds of this with my next being May 21 at CVH. can't wait. Lol. After that I get 3 rounds of taxotere and start herceptin. The herceptin will continue for a year  ugh!!

I hope that everyone has a great day today! I'm off to walk then go boob shopping!! Lol

• Gonein40
    Gonein40 Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2014
    Options

football great pics. Love them.  Hope you enjoyed sitting outside it was a beautiful day yesterday.   Lolis. I did not use a cold cap at night either. The only thing I found is at night my head would get cold/hot so I was constantly putting a hat on or off.  Kinda like the blankets now with the menopause. Or shall I chemo pause. Not sure which it is I was going through nite sweats before DX but now almost done with treatments I am going through symptoms of this.  I have never sweat so much in all my life. 

• Amazonwarrior
    Amazonwarrior Member Posts: 140
    edited May 2014
    Options

lolis: Good luck with your PICC insertion and 1st treatment. I had my PICC inserted on the upper arm on the outside bacause I thought it may be more comfortable. The technician who did that said that it doesn't matter where she puts it as long as the 'vein is good'. 

Are you getting your treatment at PMH? I am at Sunnybrook. :-) 

Gonein40: I am glad you were able to enjoy the beautiful weather that we had over the weekend and do some BBQ. I planted a lot of flowers, herbs and even a grape vine. 

My hair is slowly returning, but I still have bald looking patches. I pray that that is going to be covered by hair one day as well. I keep putting cocoa - shea butter cream on my scalp plus vitamin E and hoping it's going to help. Will see.

I hear you about the sweating at night. 

It's most aggravating because it disrupts my sleep!

Footballnut: Great pics. I liked the comment about you loosing hair ahead of hubby. LOL The same happened here: I look like an old guy and my hubby's hair is thicker than a carpet.

I wear lots of scarves around the house and my wig in public although I occasionally wear just the scarf in public where I tend to get overheated for instance when I take my son for his swim lesson. I use them also for sleeping and so far had no need switching to a hat. 

I am adding an OLD or should I say a historic pic of my PICC. I still had a bit of hair then. It must have been taken about a month after my 1st FEC.

• footballnut
    edited May 2014
    Options

I have to share in a effort to keeping humour alive - I hope that I don't offend any - this is all in humour

Last night I went to my hubby and put my head against his and said " gives a whole new meaning to giving head huh?" We both had a good laff

I look at myself in the mirror and say - hey there's more pepper in the salt and pepper than I thought. Maybe I won't colour it when it grows back

Plus I can now put on a shirt and change it without ruining my hairstyle!!!!!

So far day 14 and I feel great. Next infusion is next wed May 21 at CVH. I hope that the SEs do not get worse than what I have already experienced which really has been minimal 

:-)

Crossing my fingers!!!!

• Gonein40
    edited May 2014
    Options

football there is nothing wrong with having fun.  Laughter is the best medicine I always say.  It's better than being down on yourself.  We have the most beautiful weather down here today that I can't not enjoy it.  Enjoy your day ladies.  

• Amazonwarrior
    edited May 2014
    Options

Gonein40: I can only agree with you about the importance of having a good laugh. We should not forget to do this despite our difficulties.  

Footballnut: I am happy to hear that SE so far are minimal!

• footballnut
    edited May 2014
    Options

Today I'm starting to feel congested and my tummy is a bit sore. Can you get SEs towards the end of an infusion? It's day 15 for me. Not sure if this is my allergies acting up. Hopefully I feel better tomorrow

I am starting to lose hair "down there" as my mom says. Can't believe it!!

Oh well!!

Next tues I have a genetic consult, then bloodwork then meet with my MO.   Wed at 9 am is infusion # 2. Hoping for continued minimal SEs 

• Tam178
    Tam178 Member Posts: 15
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hello everyone ... I've been lurking on this thread for a few days and have found the advice very supportive....

I am looking for opinions, although I know the decision is mine to make, but anyone who could voice opinion either way I'd welcome the feedback.

Helpful info: I am 37 yo with kids age 3 & 5, and the IDC tumour was 1.8cm max with DCIS found too and 0/5 lymph nodes tested positive. ER/PR +ve HER2 -ve. Lumpectomy +SLNB (Jan 2014)+ Radiation (21 treatments to breast incl 5 day boost) & Tamoxofen to follow chemo. Plan was for 3 FEC & 3 D chemo...

I completed one FEC round (25 Feb) at full dose but due to mouth ulcers (plus nausea etc) dose was reduced by 15% for round 2 (11 Mar) & 3 (1 Apr) where the nausea and mouth sores were still present but lessened. I started Taxotere round 4 (29 Apr). I had Neupogen injections daily (day 3-7) which caused me awful bone & muscle pains from my jaw to my ankles and I could barely walk and spend most of those days in bed with the heating pad and doses of hydromorphone every 4 hours plus Celebrex twice a day... Just for extra fun on day 7 (just as the mouth sores re-appeared!) I developed a fever of 38.2C and ended up at the ER with Neuts 0.04 and was admitted for Febrile Neutropenia with IV antibiotics. The blood culture came back positive for staph and confirmed sepsis - scary stuff with no immune system. After 3 days my WBC were up to 12.6 (good fighting the infection!) and Neuts were 1.9. I was let home on day 4 (last Friday) with 3 more days of Cipro antibiotics. I did start to get less body pain since I came home (stopped the hydromorphone) and yesterday I actually felt I wasn't in pain just moving and have even stopped taking the Celebrex!

I've also got awful dry eyes (taxotere causing this) had awful constipation from the meds which caused an anal tear (great fun!) and have to brush my teeth & use medicated mouthwash 4 times a day plus myrhh tincture to keep on to of the mucositis... All this is NOT fun!

I met with my oncologist today who was very sorry for what I'd been through and basically offered me two choices... But I only have until Tuesday to decide (when next chemo is due)

1) Continue Chemo - this would be a 15% lower dose (again) for at least round 5 and then possibly (but unlikely) go on to round 6... Likelihood in his opinion is that I will be hospitalised again with another infection due to the increased risk with my sore mouth and previous reactions...

2) Abandon remaining Chemo and look at removing my ovaries as soon as I'm well enough after radiation is complete to give me additional protection given the ER/PR +ve receptors.

My med onc. was stongly leaning towards option 2 as he feels he's "broken me" enough so far and really wants to "cure me not kill me"!!!

So far I have agreed to proceed with the paperwork for option (1) so I will have the choice, but the more I try to weigh up pros & cons the more I am leaning to option 2... Getting the PICC line out before the summer to enjoy the water with my kids plus no more chemo sound SOOOOOO inviting. BUT if I can stick with at least 1 more chemo he said there around another 1%ish benefit in the chances of recurrence...

WHAT WOULD YOU DO??????????????????????????????

• Lolis
    edited May 2014
    Options

The PICC insertion went well for me but I find it really annoying, it's sore and limits my arm's functionality. Left arm is not back to 100% as I am only 3w out of surgery :-(. Yay for chemo tomorrow!!!

Tam - so if I understand correctly, 1 more chemo will increase the benefit in case of recurrence by 1%?? If so, I would go with option 2. Do you need to do rads? 

• Tam178
    Tam178 Member Posts: 15
    edited May 2014
    Options

@Lolis - The PICC soreness took a few days to calm down and mine is always tender for a few hours to 24 hours after the dressing change but once settled you should even be able to forget it's there. I've had mine for 11 weeks now ;)

Yes rads will follow my last chemo by 4-5 weeks so either 2 weeks time with option 2 or 5 weeks if I do round 5

Yes approx 1% for both of the next chemos combined... I'm thinking option 2 is growing in appeal :D

• Amazonwarrior
    edited May 2014
    Options

Tam178: Sorry to hear that you had such a hard time with chemo. I too ended up in hospital for a week with a fever of 40 C and a post op abscess, so I do understand how you feel. If I were to make a decision between more (potentially life threatening) chemo or oopherectomy I would most likely seek another DR opinion. You are certainly entitled to have someone else to give you their professional advise. I would weigh my options then. 

Lolis: The initial soreness after PICC insertion does subside, however for me I had pain on and off throughout my chemo depending on my arm use as well as PICC line care. I found out that I was allergic to Chlorhexidine prep swabs as well as to the regular dressing so they could only use normal saline and Mefix dressing on my skin.

I had the PICC in from Nov 14/2013 to March 25/2014, pretty much over 4 months. I am 8 weeks PFC, but still get the achy feeling in my arm where my PICC used to be.

Football: I think that SE can pop up anytime, but for me they usually started right after chemo, peaked about day 10-14 and then slowly subsided towards the next treatment with fatigue lingering throughout the cycles.

• footballnut
    edited May 2014
    Options

good morning!

Hope all are well! Quick question as I need help making a decision

Hubby and I were going to take a trip to Ottawa for a short getaway before my next infusion. It's not too far. 4 hour trip. Yesterday I felt chilled all day and tired. This morning I woke up slightly tired.

This isn't necessarily SEs - it could very likely be allergies or weather related. It's been damp and blah here the past few days

So I've been back and forth on if we should go because I told my DH that I would hate to go and end up in bed all day

My hair still hasn't fallen out yet although it has started to fall out " down there" as my mom would say. Lol. I am developing a lot of pimples on my scalp that at times itch like crazy !!

Thoughts? Usually when I waffle with decisions - which is rare. - I do what makes sense rather than what I would like to do

What makes sense is to stay home and save the $ until after treatment.

Arrrrgh

For those that have gone through FEC what was ur SE experience ?  If it wasn't too bad the first round does it usually stay that way for rounds 2 and 3?

Rounds. 4-6 will be taxotere and herceptin. Anyone have experiences with that?

Have a great day all !!

• Lolis
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hello,

Just had my first treatment, YAY!!!! Those pills that I took before the treatment made a bit dizzy and I still feel it. I feel normal for now if it weren't for this weird head feeling and think my nose is a bit congested.

Will see what happens tomorrow. One down, five more to go!!! 

• Amazonwarrior
    edited May 2014
    Options

lolis: I was thinking of you today. I hope that your chemo went OK. 

Football: I would listen to my sensible side if deciding whether to travel or not. If you don't feel 100% than any travel might be taxing on your precious energy reserves. 

As far as SE, I used to chart them during chemo. I noticed certain patterns in my symptoms and knowing that something is most likely going to happen however unpleasant gave me comfort.  

With FEC the pattern was following: 

Day 1: moderate to severe nausea, weakness, dizziness, shaky, heart racing

Day 2. flushed cheeks, headache, dry mouth, horse throat, nausea

Day 3: constipation, bone & joint pain ( due to Neulasta), nausea, dry mouth, low apetite

Day 4-5: constipation, nausea

Day 6: Regular BM, nausea, fatigue

Day 7: hairy feeling in the mouth, nausea, gassy

Day 8: feverish, chills, nausea, bubbly stomach,

Day 9: bubbly stomach, diarrhea, 

Day 10-18: sore gums, mouth sores, tired, hair loss, achy post mastectomy site and axilla

Day 19-21: watery, burning eyes,  fatigue

• footballnut
    edited May 2014
    Options

lolis - you go girl! So proud of you. I had a similar head rush like u r describing then hot nausous approx 3-4 hours later. My mistake was not taking my "just incase " nausea pill 

Amazon tx for sharing. I'm keeping a diary as well. It's so helpful. I feel good today but think that we will save the trip until after all is done. Lots to do in the city. As much as I want to getaway it will be better to go on a nice vacation once treatment is over!!

• Lolis
    edited May 2014
    Options

Thank you Ladies!!! I hope the SE aren't too bad as now I under the drugs' effect. I didn't really care for the head rush. I took the just in case pill as my stomach was a bit queasy. Having some toast right now, tastes a bit funny. The parents made some soup with lentils and chicken but I don't know if I should take a chance on that. What do you think?

Football - I second that, better take a trip after the treatments are done. DH and I were planning a trip in June but this happened so after rads are done will think of going somewhere. 

Amazon - thanks for sharing your symptoms with us. I should start a diary as well. 

• Amazonwarrior
    edited May 2014
    Options

lolis: I used to eat a lot of bland and starchy foods right after my FEC like potatoes, pasta, bread, hot cereal and cooked vegies. I stayed away from spicy, fatty and heavy meals. Smaller portions worked best. Starchy foods actually help with nausea. 

Football: There is definitely plenty to do in the city. I usually travel to Europe each summer to visit my family, but this year I have not booked my ticket yet as I don't know how am going to feel after my treatment is over. I will wait and see and play it by ear.

Tam: Have you made your decision yet? 

Gonein40: Hot flashes were keeping me up for about 3 hours last night. I was hot one minute and freezing the next. The flashes felt worse yesterday than before for some reason. I wonder if  it was cause by some food I ate.

How are you handling it?

All: How are you ladies feeling? 

• Lolis
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi Ladies,

I feel good today, had white bread and eggs for breakfast and soup throughout the day (a thicker type of soup). 

Do you girls have your finger put in ice during the FEC part of the treatment? I asked my nurse and she said I didn't need it for the FEC part but for the D part of it. 

I will check the side effect of FEC to ensure that nail loss/weakness is not part of it.

Plans for the long weekend

• Amazonwarrior
    edited May 2014
    Options

lolis: They were icing my fingers and toes to prevent nail changes like yellowing and/ or peeling only with Docetaxel. The icing also cuts down on neuropathy as well. With the icing, the SE for me were minimal: just a light shade of yellow at a closer inspection, no peeling which can be quite painful and only a tiny bit of numbness in three of my fingers on the fingertips. That  made me very happy because I am a pianist and would hate to lose the feeling in my fingers or hands.

• Gonein40
    edited May 2014
    Options

amazon. I have lots of covers on for my hot flashes n then half my body is out of the covers. I am a light sleeper / toss n turner. I don't think I have had a full nights sleep since June of last year. When I found my lump.    Lolis. I am one treatment from being done my D part. N yes they keep ur fingers n toes in those freezer packs   Hate it at first but they seem to be helping. I have kept my nails with nail polish of some sort on all thru my treatments. So I have not noticed any nail changes.  Plans for long wknd u say. Just maybe a non fire w hubby n some friends keeping it light.  Just being able to have a relaxing night or two seems to help.  Ttyl all 

• Lolis
    edited May 2014
    Options

Any advice on how to deal with the achy bones/muscles? I took the Neulasta yesterday and I feel like a truck passed over my back. 

Thanks for your responses about the ice. My friend keeps telling me to ask for the during chemo but if it is not needed during the FEC part I won't ask for it

• Amazonwarrior
    edited May 2014
    Options

lolis: The Neulasta pain wasn't so bad for me and lasted only a day. I took Claritin before I had the injection and for a couple of days after. It is was recommended to me by some other women on this discussion board. I only took one extra strenghth Ibuprofen pill and applied heat to achy body parts. I used a warm magic bag that I would hear up in the microwave for a couple of minutes and the heat would last for hours. I hope you can get some relief and feel better. 

• Lolis
    edited May 2014
    Options

Thanks Amazon!!!

Perhaps I should try that next time. My back muscles feel stiff, so does the chest and I feel like I am coming down with a flu or something, weird feeling. 

My wound is a bit more swollen today too. So it is just weird 

• Amazonwarrior
    edited May 2014
    Options

lolis: The Neulasta aches and pains resemble flu symptoms. Actually the whole chemo felt like I was dealing with a nasty flu. The only difference being that this one came back SIX times during one winter season!

• Gonein40
    edited May 2014
    Options

Lolis. I was prescribed percs. But had a reaction to them. Dr gave me T3 s  that seems to help.  I am particularly achy in the knees. I do a lot of walking w my job so maybe this has something to do with it.  Amazon I know u told me about the Claritin. But haven't been bad since the first treatment. It was a doozy. So I am praying my last one is like the second one n not troublesome at all.  

• Lolis
    edited May 2014
    Options

I feel broken. Every inch of my body/skin hurts. I was told to take some tylenol and that what I plan doing today if this pain continues. 

Did you get the same SE with the other sessions of FEC as the first one? 

• Amazonwarrior
    edited May 2014
    Options

lolis: I didn't get a lot of aches and pains with FEC only for a day or so after Neulasta. If Tylenol or Ibuprofen doesn't do the job you might want to call your MO to let them know how you are feeling and ask for something stronger. 

• footballnut
    edited May 2014
    Options

lolis

My first round if FEC went like this

Day1

Infusion. Slight head rush at end of infusion. 3 hours later felt nausous. Took my "just in case" nausea pill too late. Threw up twice.  Felt very tired

Day 2 

Neulasta shot. Felt tired but puttered around. No pain. Felt nausea coming on. Took a pill

Day 3

Felt wired. No pain. Walked outside for an hour. Couldn't sleep well. Tired

Day 4

Felt wired. Walked. Went out with friends for dinner. Couldn't sleep well. Tired

Day 5

Felt ok. No longer wired. Slept better. Pooping became a bit of an issue

Day 6

Felt ok. Slept better. Slight constipation

Day 7/8

Stomach cramping. Worse on day 8. 

That was it for SEs unt a few days ago. I've felt chilled every evg and my hair is starting to fall out. I've also had an itchy scalp. Today day 18 I fel chilled all day. Itchy scalp off and on. But we went out and I had a smoked meat sandwich with fries!!  Mmmmmm

I've been trying to walk 5. - 8 km daily and started arm weights yesterday

This tues I have a genetic consult, bloodwork and meet with my MO

Wed at 9am is infusion #2. Hopefully the side effects don't get worse

:-(

I have also heard about the Claritin for bone pain but didn't need it this time around

I hope that you feel better!!!!

• Gonein40
    edited May 2014
    Options

Lolis. I didn't feel bad on the second and third FEC. The second one I had a reaction to the stemitil. So I was told to take regular gravol. I didn't need any of it. Only took the meds for the first cpl of days after treatment.  I am done two rounds of D and have one more on the 27th. Hopefully u don't feel worse come your second treatment. Define tyl talk with MO about side effects and make sure you get plenty of rest.  I can honestly say I felt like I was useless during my treatments but I think that is what saved me from being so bad.  Hugs