Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

FEC-D regime

Options

Comments

• Lolis
    Lolis Member Posts: 294
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi,

I had a normal day yesterday and today. Woke up and there was no pain (except from the PICC line and wound). I had a lot of energy and was on a cleaning mode until DH put me in time out. I relaxed for a bit and then cleaned the dishes and cooked. Today was the same thing. I worked, got caught up in things and forgot to eat lunch until 4pm (lunch and dinner). Took my dog for a walk and wished I could have a beer in the backyard. 

Hoping the SE don't come back tomorrow as I have a busy day and some deadlines at work. 

What kind of sunscreen do you use for your face? I bought Ombrelle kids spf 45 for the body but nothing for the face. My skin is acne prone (I know it's lame, acne still at 33) so don't usually use anything but the oil free moisturizer. 

Hope you all had a good Tuesday. 

• Amazonwarrior
    Amazonwarrior Member Posts: 140
    edited June 2014
    Options

lolis: Great to hear you had a normal day. As far as sunscreen, I didn't have to use any since I did my chemo during winter with only a few sunny days. I wish I could have a beer in my backyard as well, but I think I'll wait until I am finished rads before I have one. 

Gonein: You are so close to the finish line! Only a week and you are DONE!

I had my 19/25 RT today and my skin is starting to have a nice red tan and is getting itchier. I can clearly see the outlines of the radiation field. 

I am 8 weeks PFC and my hair is growing back in a weird  patchy way like a lawn after being reseeded. I still have a few bald looking spots and it may take some time before I could venture out without any head covering. My lashes are growing back nice and thick. Yay! I am noticing some growth in the southern regions as well and my brows, but they are still kind of patchy looking with more growth on the sides than the rest. 

Anyway I find the hair issue a bit of a distraction from my radiation SE.

And here is a pic of my patchy hair growth. It reminds me of the globe. Lol

• footballnut
    footballnut Member Posts: 449
    edited May 2014
    Options

Amazon love your head!!  I'm similar but in reverse. Lol. Can't wait until it all falls out. It's so brittle. Argh!!

Lolis I use ombrelle SPF 30

live from credit valley hospital. Round 2!!! One more round of FEC then on to taxotere and herceptin. Rock n roll!! So far so good. Hoping for minimal SEs although felt strange while being infused

My nurse gave me extra anti nausea meds today so hoping that I don't start to feel sick or throw up. I just feel very tired right now but want to keep walking to keep my energy up. Perhaps best to rest today!!

:-(

Have a great day all!!

• Amazonwarrior
    edited May 2014
    Options

football: I love that smile! Another FEC down! Yay! I hope your nausea is minimal this time round.

• Gonein40
    Gonein40 Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2014
    Options

amazon. I am so pumped to have this behind me.  I will post pics of my last treatment with my family. My hair looks like I'm a baby monkey just born.   Football. I sympathize with the SE. It's not fun being under the weather let alone going thru treatments.  Lolis. My MO told me it was ok if I wanted to have a beer. Why not she said. I haven't but yah I wanted to more than once.  Hope your stretch of feeling good continues. It makes going thru treatments much more bearable when we can feel somewhat. "Normal"

• Lolis
    edited May 2014
    Options

Love the pictures ladies!!!!

Gonein40 - I bet you can't wait for that last treatment.

Amazon - are you using any prescribed cream for the skin? So the hair grows back very very very slowly?!? 

Ang- I hope you had a relaxing day after round 2!!!

Another normal day at 100%, I just finished working not too long ago (had a few deadlines that need to take care of). Went for a nice walk with my mom and my dog this afternoon. 

Did you ladies still get your period during the treatments? Mine is due next wednesday, glad it's not the same week as my round two (I am such a wimp when it comes to period cramps) and I wondering if it will be on time. I thought that because of the egg harvesting it would have shown up a lot sooner but I guess I was wrong. 

• footballnut
    edited May 2014
    Options

lolis I had spotting after my first treatment. Woo hoo !!  Nothing yet after 2 nd

Nausea wasn't too bad yesterday. Nothing compared to last time. I hope that it stays that way !!!!!

:-)

• Amazonwarrior
    edited May 2014
    Options

gonein: I am looking forward to the pics from your last treatment. I also used to be pumped up for my treatments and Dexamethasone just added to that edgy feeling. LOL re: 'baby monkey hair'. 

My hair started to come back during the D part. I would worry about it and ask my MO if the chemo drug was in fact working if I was growing hair. She said it's pretty common with Docetaxel. Then it started to grow very slowly, but now 8 weeks PFC I find that the hair is finally waking up and coming back much faster. I can even see daily progress. I wish it would grow much more evenly though. Now I even grow hair where I don't want it especially on my face like very fine blond looking sideburns! I guess that goes well with the old man look. Lol

Lolis: I am not using any prescribed creams during rads. I prescribed my own so to speak. I am using emu oil by Kalaya and calendula cream by Unda. That's it. I find them very helpful. 

However, I was advised by my RO to use Glaxal base cream or Lubriderm unscented and lanolin free. 

Re: period: I got my period after the 1st FEC, (actually I got two full ones due to a delay in my chemo because of infection), but then it stopped. It stayed like that for the rest of chemo and came back after 6 weeks PFC as a very light spotting for a couple of days, but I experienced enough cramping to take an Advil. 

All: I hope we continue to feel more on the 

NORMAL side. 

• Lolis
    edited May 2014
    Options

I got my period this morning. No cramping so far but I took a Tylenol just to be on the safe side. Will see if it is anything like the normal period. Oh good I am looking forward to a few months with no period and hopefully no shaving (for a change) :-D

My friend radiation on his leg and he was given this cream "Flamazine" it's supposed to work on any type of burns, especially baking burns. 

• footballnut
    edited May 2014
    Options

I still have some hair and it's driving me nuts!!!!!  It's falling out all over the place so it itches whenever it falls. I'm 2 days after my second treatment and was hoping that it would be gone by now !!

Lol

My friend told me to get a lint brush so I think that I might because I'm afraid to shave my head

Argh!!!!!

• Amazonwarrior
    edited May 2014
    Options

football: The hair falling out issue bugged me to the point that I used to vaccum my head several times a day!

• footballnut
    edited May 2014
    Options

I can just picture myself vacuuming my head. Lol. I was actually thinking about it and thought should I?  I'll probably be caught by my hubby who'll take a picture!!!!  Lol

I can't take this anymore so I'll try anything !!!!

Lol

• Gonein40
    edited May 2014
    Options

football. Shaving the head is a personal issue. However it's far better when it's short to deal with than when it's longer. There was at one point when my head hurt having hair on my head. Sounds weird but true.  So I had my youngest daughter shave the rest of it off. I think she rather enjoyed it lol.  However it was since then that it was a turning point for me. Emotionally I now looked different.  I do not regret having done this. To this day it doesn't bother not to have hair as much as it did when it was falling out.  Mind over matter I felt better to have it gone. It's a personal preference so do what feels right for you. Hugs. 

• Tam178
    Tam178 Member Posts: 15
    edited May 2014
    Options

Just weighing in with my experience on a few issues expressed here... I did 3 FEC and 1 D (chose to stop as advised by my M.O.)...

I NEVER lost all my hair - I got my husband and 5 year old to "buzz" it short (~5mm) just before treatment 2. It started regrowing with peach fuzzy stuff before I started Taxotere. I'm still losing my eyebrows (they're really thin now!) and have lost only a few eyelashes.

On the period front  I had a period the week before chemo 1. Next arrived day before chemo 2. The next was a week late, but since then back on schedule :S.

My nails seems to have escaped unscathed! Good luck everyone! I'm waiting for the call for the CT Sim & Tatooing to get going on rads!

• footballnut
    edited May 2014
    Options

well my hubby took a lint roller to my scalp today. Feels a lot better. Just a bit left!!  Lol   Cried a bit but getting used to it now

Today is. 4 days after round 2 of FEC. Felt tired and just off all day today. Dry mouth was really bad. Funny because I drooled all night as I tried to sleep. Maybe I drooled myself dry !!  Lol

One more round of FEC left - June 11 is my last infusion then taxotere - herceptin. Anyone know what I can expect once I make the switch?

Hoping for a better day tomorrow!!

Goodnight all!!

• footballnut
    edited May 2014
    Options

good morning all!  I sit here this morning tired and with dry mouth but the plumbing seems to be working. As it is hot outside today I plan to exercise indoors just to get moving

A few weeks ago my hubby and I were thinking about going to Ottawa to getaway but didn't go as I was concerned about SEs

Now we are thinking about it again because I am concerned about what new SEs might be once I switch from FEC to taxotere/ herceptin then tamoxifen in the fall. June 11 is my last round of FEC

We were thinking about going away for the Canadian thanksgiving in October but I obviously have no idea how I'll be at that time. Chemo should be approx 2 months behind me with herceptin continuing and tamoxifen either started or near to starting

I know that it might seem strange to think about going away but we r trying to maintain our regular life as much as possible and hubby needs a break

I've read that while on treatment one should stay out of swimming pools but my MO encourages me to swim if I want to. 

In the sun the other day I wore a Tilley hat, jeans and a tshirt with a windbreaker plus SPF 30. I'm so afraid of getting sun on me but my nurse said that the sun is ok  in moderation. Just use common sense

So while I know that SEs are different for everybody what might I expect once I transition to taxotere/ herceptin?  It's 3 rounds and I should be done by mid aug

How long might it take for me to feel like me?

So far I can't complain about SEs. Plum vining issues, being tired, dry mouth and all others have been doable

What fun it is!!  Lol

Have a great day all!!

• Amazonwarrior
    edited May 2014
    Options

Last night I slept without wearing my scarf for the first time after six months. I felt that I had enough hair to keep me warm. Anyway it was a warm summer like night. 

I saw my RO today. That would be my last visit during rads. He wants to see me one more time in 6 weeks time to see how I am recovering. He is such a great doctor: compassionate and caring.  

Football: Great pic with the lint roller! Lol

Your hubby sounds like a good sport to help you with that. 

It's good to hear that the SE are minimal. The dry mouth is annoying, but it's still pretty manageable. I used Biotin toothpaste to help with the dryness. Also, I used 1 tsp if baking soda mixed with a cup of water rinse. This was recommended by my MO to prevent mouth sores. 

As far as swimming, I stayed away from it because I had a PICC line not a port and then I started rads and the advice was: no chlorinated water therefore no swimming pools. 

• Amazonwarrior
    edited May 2014
    Options

I thought it may be helpful to post my log of SE during Docetaxel. Then again everyone reacts differently, but it's here for a reference. Some say that the D part is easier, I found it just as challenging as FEC, but in a different way.  

With D-part the pattern was following:

Day 1: feeling on the edge (due to Dexamethasone), horse voice, water retention in the legs, abdomen, face

Day 2. flushed cheeks, hunger pains, horse voice, hot flashes/ cold sweats, discomfort in the lower ribs/ liver area (after the 3rd D only), tired, light headed, Neulasta pains

Day 3: puffy face and abdomen, heavy legs, dry mouth, horse voice, shaky, abdominal cramping, restless night with wild dreams, swollen throat

Day 4-7: moderate to severe bone and joint pain, bloated, rash, BM spotting, loss of taste, 

Day 8-10: bubbly, cramping, leaky stomach, body aches and pains, heavy and stiff legs, bloody nose, BM spotting

Day 11-16:  heavy legs, fatigue, hands and feet heat sensitivity, achy post mastectomy site and axilla, sensitive gums

Day 17-20: very tired, hair loss, dizzy, depressed, watery burning eyes, weak, axilla pains, muscle twitching (after the 2nd D)

Day 21: anxious, feeling on the edge

Here are my PFC lingering SE for several weeks to come:  stiff joints, painful thigh muscles, neuropathy in 3 fingers on my right hand, muscle twitching, abdominal & lower ribs sore spots, watery eyes, fatigue, hot flashes and cold sweats, heat sensitivity

• Amazonwarrior
    edited May 2014
    Options

Here is an updated pic of my hair growth after 9 weeks PFC. Still patchy, but slowly filling in. 

There is some progress compared to the pic a week ago.  :-)

• footballnut
    edited May 2014
    Options

amazon looking good!!  My hair or whisps of hair are in reverse. Lol. Much better after the lint roller!!  Lol. I am now starting to feel chilly when I don't have something on my head. Last night I touched my scalp with my fingers and it felt strange as my fingers were so cold!!  Lol

Still have a dry mouth today but not as bad. Got the biotene mouthwash and toothpaste. I'll still have to use my regular toothpaste every now and then did to sensitive gums. Lol

Still debating with hubby if we should go to Ottawa next week. I just feel like we need a few days away but doing Ottawa right now might be a waste of money. Why be in such nd interesting place full of SEs?  Maybe we should just go to Niagara Falls for a few days - maybe hit buffalo and do some shopping. Just for a change of scenery

Amazon how long did it take for your SEs from all of ur treatment to start subsiding? I've heard anywhere from 2-4 months

I'm feeling more tired after the 2 nd round of FEC but did get on the treadmill for 40 minutes yesterday then did weights. 

Then for the first time in nearly a year I started doing vocal exercises yesterday as we are going to try and have a band practice tomorrow. I'm also  going to try to pick up my guitar at some point today

Maybe after I have a nap!!  Lol. I have to be able to stay awake fur the hockey game tonight!!

• footballnut
    edited May 2014
    Options

are u kidding me? I just got my freaking period!! Really????? After round 1 of chemo I spotted 3 days after infusion which continued for a few days

Now it's 8 days after infusion and here I go again - not even a full month after the last visit!!

Hurray she said sarcastically!! Lol

• Amazonwarrior
    edited May 2014
    Options

Finished rads today!

Yaaaaaay!

It's done!

It's over!

El final!

La fine!

Basta!

Ende!

La fin!

Koniec!

No more!

I am thrilled that I am not going to hear that lazy whine of the radiation machine any more!

Overall I am happy, but exhausted and slightly numb.

I guess the recovery process has to take place now.

I said good bye to the RT staff at my rads unit with a thank you card and box of pastries. (Even got a hug from one of the therapists!)

Now I am resting at home. I caught a nasty cold from my son, so I have to take care of it too.

I imediatelly started to take supplements and vitamins to boost my recovery as my RO said it was OK.

Here is a pic of the skin after 25 rads of 50 Gy's to the chest, axilla and supraclavicular areas, 4 angles and bolus each time.

Used emu oil and calendula cream. Yesterday I even introduced onion and cabbage juice compresses.

I was taking 6g of Curcumin C3 complex with Bioperine and 30g of L- glutamine daily plus a one multivitamin. I will continue with this regime for another 2 weeks or until healed.

• footballnut
    edited May 2014
    Options

way to go amazon!  I am so happy for you!!!!!

• Lolis
    edited May 2014
    Options

Congratulations Amazon!!! That's amazing!!! Now you can focus on remaining disease free. 

Boy those SE don't look very encouraging!! 

• Gonein40
    edited May 2014
    Options

amazon congrats on being done your rads. What a great feeling it must be. I too finished my last chemo yesterday.  Yah to both of us completed our journey.  Football I found that the transition from FEC -D was doable. I'm not sure if your on nuepogen or neulasta shots. But I was down for 3-1/2 days for the first round of D n then I was fine with the other two shots. A few days away where ever you and DH go is a much needed get away that makes things so much more bearable.  Do what feels right for you both. Hugs 

• Amazonwarrior
    edited May 2014
    Options

gonein: Congrats to you too! Are you heading for rads or is this i?

Football: Boo for your period! I got two full periods while doing chemo. I guess it may be your age: the younger you are the more readily your body produces the homones. 

I think that a short trip might serve you better at this point. You can enjoy getting out with your hubby, yet you are not going to exhaust yourself by travelling. 

As far as SE lingering: I started to feel better after 6 weeks, however I still have a bunch of them at 9 weeks PFC such as stiffness, achy bones and joints, neuropathy in 3 fingertips, hot flashes and cold sweats, but they are getting less in frequency and intensity.  

• Tam178
    Tam178 Member Posts: 15
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hey Amazon, well done for being DONE!!!!! I'm done chemo (I "dropped out" after 1D) and start rads next Thurs 5th June.

Thanks for the inspiration on the hair photo - I'll try to attach mine. I'm 30 days PFC - would have been day 9 of round 5 if I'd continued..

You can see the odd long hair where it never fell out! It's been so warm here in Ottawa lately that I've been going "topless" (no wig - only worn it home from the wig salon so far or scarf/hat) except for a sun hat when necessary for the last week or so. It's been very liberating!!

• footballnut
    edited May 2014
    Options

gonein40. Congrats!!  Chemo being over sounds awesome!!!!

The other day I sat outside, bald, and let the breeze blow through my wisps of hair.  Lol. It felt great!!

Seems like my period lasted for a day!  The first time I spotted off and on for 3-4 days. Maybe this time it will just be a period for the day !!

Tam178 love the pic!  How is ottawa these days?  We are debating whether to go to Niagara Falls (closer) or Ottawa for 4-5 days

I'd LOVE to go to NYC or Atlantic city to see the ocean and play some dolts but am apprehensive about crossing the border right now. It will be there next year as will so many other places!

Still have a bit of a dry mouth but not so bad. I started using biotene toothpaste and mouthwash. The thought of some foods is making me queasy like chicken but I can still eat anything thank goodness

Still have this constant desire for junk food but only have it 1-2 times per week

Have a good day all !!!!

• yensmiles
    yensmiles Member Posts: 211
    edited May 2014
    Options

hi everyone, as i'm scrolling through the post i realised this regime seems "popular" in Canada!!! 

Footballnut, this is the thread i've been "spying" and seeing your gorgeous photos while i deliberate on treatment. FEC-T (we somehow use the T for Taxotere i think here in Malaysia) is one of my options.

Lolis you had a normal day and walked the dog, and Footballnut you went on the threadmill?!??! Are Canadian women normal??!? You ladies seem to be in such good health and spirits!  Truthfully, i've met some canadian women in my lifetime and you guys really seem stronger and healthier than women in some other parts of the world!!! 

and yay to gonein40 and amazon! :) happy for you both.

• Amazonwarrior
    edited May 2014
    Options

yensmiles: Welcome!!! Wow you found us all the way from Malaysia!

I don't know if we Canadians are any stronger. Perhaps, there is more emphasis on exercise to help with SE and recovery. 

I will be back to my regular walking as soon as I get over this nasty cold. It's as if my body was in a fighting mode all throughout chemo and rads because I didn't get the cold or flu all winter and now at the finish line I have to catch this horrible virus. I believe it's because I feel exhausted and need some time to catch my breath.