Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Study n effectiveness of Iodine

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited January 2014
    Options

Fall, one of the many articles I read during this discussion hypothesized that the reasons the Japanese could consume so much iodine may be that they consume it mostly in the form of seaweed. 

Seaweed contains bromide in addition to iodine, and it is possible that the bromide modulates how much iodine is taken up by the body. It was noted in several places that iodine obtained from food seemed to be less likely to cause problems than iodine from supplements. 

• Mardibra
    Mardibra Member Posts: 194
    edited January 2014
    Options

My NCI hospital is not for profit, btw. 

Jojo - this is getting ridiculous. 

• pupmom
    pupmom Member Posts: 1,032
    edited January 2014
    Options

Nor is my NCI hospital. I feel I have gotten the best treatment available and wouldn't change a thing. 

• Fallleaves
    Fallleaves Member Posts: 134
    edited January 2014
    Options

Momine, so far all I've been doing is munching on seaweed, but the concern there is that the amount of iodine in seaweed is quite variable, so it's hard to know how much you are getting.  

• Momine
    edited January 2014
    Options

Jojo, cancermath looks only at cancer deaths, true. However, it clearly shows that people who get treatment are more likely to live than people who do not (when such treatment is appropriate). Most research done on outcomes shows the same. It is really not anything controversial or worth questioning at this point.

The survival advantage of conventionals is greater at higher stages, 2B-3C, simply because there is far greater risk to "bite into" there. Most of the debates and legitimate questions about how much treatment is appropriate is in the context of lower stages, roughly 0-2A.

I have mostly dealt with the former category, for obvious reasons, and although there are most certainly risks from the treatment, the risk of dying of the actual disease, if left untreated, is far, far greater.

• Momine
    edited January 2014
    Options

Falls, true, but I tend to think that less is more. IOW, whether it is kale, garlic or seaweed, I tend to think that it is more a matter of incorporating some reasonable amount into your diet as a regular thing.

Not cancer-related, but it reminds me of the habit in my homeland (Denmark) of eating herring. When I was a kid, most people ate one small piece of rye bread with a small piece of pickled herring almost every day. It was the standard way to start lunch, regardless of what lunch otherwise consisted of. It is thought that even this small amount provided many health benefits, because it was a regular thing, an everyday thing.

When you look at a traditional, Japanese meal, it has many small dishes, one of which will be pickles (often really tiny amounts actually), one will be seaweed, one will be spinach, one a little fish or meat and so on. In the Mediterranean, meals are similar and also usually include 2-3 different veggie/salad things, very often a small portion of pickled fish as well as other foods.

So my approach is a little bit every day. We are about to go for a drink, and with it we will order, at the new meze place, black-eyed peas with pickled mackerel.

• jojo68
    jojo68 Member Posts: 336
    edited January 2014
    Options

Mardibra!  You are SO right!  This IS getting ridiculous...only seems to be getting ridiculous once the tables are turned.

AND, the ostrich image was also ridiculous!!!!!!  and condescending.

I feel like putting my head in the sand with the ridiculous blind notion that it is quite perfectly ok for all of your hospitals, studies, doctors and scientists to make a profit, BUT holistic clinics and scientists and doctors are NOT allowed to make a profit...complete and utter double standard.

"None are so blind that will not see."  enuf said.

• Momine
    edited January 2014
    Options

"that it is quite perfectly ok for all of your hospitals, studies, doctors and scientists to make a profit,"

As already explained, most of them are non-profit.

• pupmom
    edited January 2014
    Options

Jojo, did you miss something? Mardibra and I just stated that our NCI hospitals are NON-PROFIT. My MO has been on the cutting edge of cancer research for 35 years. She is paid a salary to teach, conduct research and treat patients. Not much in the way of windfall financial profit there.

• lightandwind
    lightandwind Member Posts: 97
    edited January 2014
    Options

IODINE and Breast Cancer- Human Study

http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/cgi/content/meet...

• jojo68
    edited January 2014
    Options

Non profit is a joke...In this context, they are most likely operating as a non-profit organization in order to save money on taxes (for which most non-profits are largely exempt).

So, you mean to tell me your chemo, radiation and all of standard care is free?  Who is profiting?  Chemo is expensive.  Doctors are getting paid to care for you and they are pushed to push the 'standard of care'.

Dr. Wong charged me $350 one time fee.....never charged me again.  I pay the herbal company pennies for my care compared to what would be paid for chemo. 

• Momine
    edited January 2014
    Options

Light, thanks for posting. Certainly interesting. Also, the dose was 5mg a day for 5 weeks. That is 1/10th the dose advocated by Brownstein.

• jojo68
    edited January 2014
    Options

Yes, Yorkie...people are PAID to teach etc......Holistic practitioners are independent and not PAID by a government or otherwise large funded institution. 

• jojo68
    edited January 2014
    Options

Peeps do need to make a living when they are not FUNDED or on salary from large hospitals!!!!SillyHeart

• jojo68
    edited January 2014
    Options

People need to make their OWN decisions on iodine dosage...we can go back and forth forever on dosage safety.

• jojo68
    edited January 2014
    Options

I am baffled why some would succumb to the HUGE toxic effects of chemo, radiation and Tamoxifen yet are so afraid of some large iodine dosing?

• pupmom
    edited January 2014
    Options

My husband is a distinguished professor and makes a very nice salary. Is the university he works for, which btw is the same one which treated me, evil for paying him?

• jojo68
    edited January 2014
    Options

Seriously, Yorkie?

I am NOT saying he or the university is evil for paying him!  LOL

I am just saying everyone needs to make a living!  You all bash any of our studies from anyone who is making a profit!  What if your hubby ran a study and received funding and wrote a book about the study?  Would you say his work is not legit, because he is making a profit from his book?

I am just pointing out the hypocritical statements being made.

• Fallleaves
    Fallleaves Member Posts: 134
    edited January 2014
    Options

Momine,

I have a feeling you are right, it is the Japanese diet as a whole, not just the seaweed, that confers the benefit related to BC. 

• pupmom
    edited January 2014
    Options

My husband is a major researcher, has written several books, made some profit from them, is editor of an academic journal, which he founded, and has just begun a new international society in his field. Except for the books he has made ZERO profit on any of these endeavors. My MO is in a very similar situation. To imply that researchers are out for the money, especially when they work in an academic environment, is an insult to these dedicated individuals.

• jojo68
    edited January 2014
    Options

Point not proven, Yorkie...

• jojo68
    edited January 2014
    Options

So, a respectable doctor like Dr. Brownstein, iodone expert, is to be criticized because he does not work for a major university...eventhough he has profited a bit like your hubby from a book?

• jojo68
    edited January 2014
    Options

Dr. David Brownstein is a Board-Certified family physician and is one of the foremost practitioners of holistic medicine. He is the Medical Director of the Center for Holistic Medicine in West Bloomfield, MI. Dr. Brownstein has lectured internationally to physicians and others about his success in using natural hormones and nutritional therapies in his practice. He is a graduate of the University of Michigan and Wayne State University School of Medicine. Dr. Brownstein is a member of the American Academy of Family Physicians and the American College for the Advancement in Medicine. He is the father of two beautiful girls, Hailey and Jessica, and is a retired soccer coach.

Dr. Brownstein has received two prestigious awards by his colleagues. The first was given by the American College for the Advancement in Medicine at the 2005 annual meeting. The award was the Norman E. Clarke Sr. Award for Science and Practice. The second award was given by the American Academy of Integrative Medicine at their 2005 annual meeting in Florida. This was titled, 2005 ARC Excellence Award for Distinguished Clinician for his “Advancement in the Diagnosis and Treatment of Chronic Diseases.”

• pupmom
    edited January 2014
    Options

I have nothing against people profiting, either through a salary which rewards creativity, or proceeds from a book, if their work is legitimate. People who profit by pushing unproven and unreliable results, especially to those who are terrified and desperate, are hooligans.

• jojo68
    edited January 2014
    Options

Nothing is EVER proven to be completely 100% right or wrong.  Even if a study is done on humans vs. mice...what works for one doesn't work for another.  Iodine has a long history in the medical world, not just some fad.  Every study presented here needed to be treated with interest and respect instead of ridicule and images of ostrich butts.

• Momine
    edited January 2014
    Options

Jojo, no, the problem is that the content  of whatever he writes is expressly tied to his profit. A university researcher get s paid to research. His salary does not fluctuate depending on what remedy he finds useful.

• SelenaWolf
    SelenaWolf Member Posts: 231
    edited January 2014
    Options

Jojo... you have turned this discussion into something so totally ridiculous and juvenile that the few posters who have been trying to get this thread back to a rational discussion about the benefits/disadvantages of iodine have been swamped by your argumentative posts.  Please either discuss - rationally and with knowledge, please - the thread topic or please post elsewhere.

Momine... the following is a link to the Dieticians of Canada website and has a good list of all the foods with iodine in them.  I eat a lot of fish, seafood and seaweed, and I feel that with the addition of some salt to my diet, I get more than enough iodine to stay within the daily recommendations.

http://www.dietitians.ca/Nutrition-Resources-A-Z/Factsheets/Minerals/Food-Sources-of-Iodine.aspx

• jojo68
    edited January 2014
    Options

Selena...kicking me off of my own post....Thanks!Winking

I am the original poster who posted some food for thought about iodine and all of YOU took this off topic with ridicule, burdens of proof and a demeaning image.  Ridiculous?  Agreed, this has all become ridiculous, but not from my initiation. 

• jojo68
    edited January 2014
    Options

I will leave my own post.  So, commence the ridicule and high fiving.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,980
    edited January 2014
    Options

Due to the fighting, and degrading remarks, we are temporarily freezing this thread.