Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Study n effectiveness of Iodine

Options

Comments

• lightandwind
    lightandwind Member Posts: 97
    edited January 2014
    Options

Check out 

THE GUIDE TO SUPPLEMENTING WITH IODINE- COMCAST.NET 

It's a PDF. Supports the use of higher doses of iodine

I don't think there's any secret about iodine supplementation, iodine deficiency, or the very likely need for breast cancer patients to supplement with it. There have been nearly 100 sources cited now supporting the need for the safety of, or the use of iodine in cancer. There is more.

Statements from the FDA and WHO have shown its safe enough to be given to children in tablet form. Its safe enough that iodine is in clinical trials.  I saw another study where they had given children an annual 400 mg dose because their diet was so iodine deficient. 

I'm not saying we should take 150mg daily. Just posting and summarizing the research.

• Fallleaves
    Fallleaves Member Posts: 134
    edited January 2014
    Options

Thank you Light and Momine for the helpful information sources on iodine. This is an area I am pretty ignorant of, but you've both inspired me to better educate myself. I looked at my bloodwork and my TSH levels are normal at 1.22, but based on my diet I would suspect I am not getting enough iodine for optimal breast health. I looked at the NIH fact sheet on iodine  (http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iodine-HealthProfessional/) and it appears that the best sources of iodine are seaweed, dairy products, and cod and tuna. As I eat a primarily vegan diet (with occasional wild salmon) I doubt I am getting much iodine. I have been noshing on sheets of seaweed lately (half a sheet of nori every few days or so), but I see from the fact sheet that iodine levels in seaweed vary quite a bit (16 to 2984 mcg/ 1g of seaweed). So, it would be hard to know how much iodine I am actually getting. I still need to understand the detoxification aspect, which PP have indicated is very important, but I am thinking I probably should be supplementing with iodine. It is good knowing the upper limits for supplementation mentioned by Momine (above). There seems a lot of room between the amount I am getting now, and hitting that level. I will be doing more research. Thank you both!

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited January 2014
    Options

Light, the PDF you posted is by a naturopath and "health coach." She refers to "the iodine docs," by which she must mean Brownstein et al. I would not base my health decisions on her opinion. From what I can see there are 2-3 doctors who work together and who all promote (and sell) the 50mg iodine a day thing. So far I have found nothing, other than stuff from those docs or based on their stuff (like this PDF), to support the approach, and I doubt you will find any credible research to support it, either in terms of safety or in terms of efficacy.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 1,017
    edited January 2014
    Options

Momine, THANK YOU.  I wouldn't want to use information from an individual who uses the words "cut / poison / burn treatments" to describe more conventional treatments for breast cancer.  I appreciate some of the information in this Complementary Forum, it's where I learned about the David Servan- Shreiber book, and appreciate your posts.  I agree with you on this one, would add "farrow" to the list of et al.

http://steppingstonesliving.com/about/

• jojo68
    jojo68 Member Posts: 336
    edited January 2014
    Options

If some of you are looking for better studies etc....try going on the Yahoo iodine group...great group of ladies who are pretty close to experts on iodine and breast cancer.

• thenewme
    thenewme Member Posts: 174
    edited January 2014
    Options

Caveat emptor. 

I've noticed a circle of iodine-for-breast-cancer supporters who endlessly promote one another in a tangled web of deception.  I note that the consensus outside of their promotional circle for "orthoiodosupplementation" for breast cancer prevention, cure or treatment is weak to nonexistent, and that their recommendations for supplementation seem to directly contradict respected mainstream information.  I also note that each one has a personal financial stake in selling/promoting iodine supplements and/or tests for deficiency, among various other pseudoscientific medical treatments they endorse.  Here are a few. 

Stephanie Buist 

• Runs "The Iodine Yahoo Group"
    • She's an accountant who got her holistic health coaching training at Clayton College, aka Institute for Integrative Nutrition (IIN)  .  Here is one review of the training.  
    • Stephanie is a network marketer who sells Optimox Iodoral, books by Dr David Brownstein, and Emerson Ecologics supplements.

Dr Jorge Flechas 

Dr Guy Abraham

• A former professor of obstetrics and gynecology formed the company that makes Iodoral, and in 2000 engaged Dr.
      Flechas to do clinical studies with it Dr. Brownstein joined the project in

Dr David Brownstein

• Sells books, iodine and other supplements, newsletters, bio-identical hormone treatment, etc.

Dr David
    Derry

• “The College
      of Physicians & Surgeons of British Columbia has suspended the license of
      David Derry, M.D., Ph.D., of Victoria, who treats patients with desiccated
      thyroid, a drug abandoned by the scientific medical community in the 1970s.
      Derry is battling the ruling in court.”(Source: http://www.ncahf.org/digest02/02-31.html)

Dr Jeffrey Dach- Sells iodine and BHRT

“Dr”
    Veronique Desaulniers-
    Sells iodine and loading tests.

Mark Sircus - Sells Nascent iodine and Lugol's

Paul Fassa - Blogger who promotes iodine via multiple paid article and affiliate marketing sites/blogs, including Health Maven, Align Life, Natural Society, etc.

Breast Cancer Choices / Lynne Farrow - Promotes and sells Iodoral and also promotes the iodine loading test and the "Iodine Protocol," despite the fact that we don't even know:                     (Source:http://www.breastcancerchoices.org/iodineinvestigation.html)

1. Whether there is a
      possible connection between iodine deficiency and breast cancer.
    2. Whether remedying
      that deficiency by iodine supplementation can reduce

recurrence.
    3. Whether iodine should
      be studied as an adjuvant therapy for breast cancer."

Mary Jo Fahey / "Dr Chris Robin"

• Mary Jo Fahey is a medical ghost writer for
      alternative MDs, who wrote "Iodine Remedies: Secrets From the Sea," a thinly disguised advertorial for this "Iodine Movement" and its players.
  • Momine
    edited January 2014
    Options

Newme, thanks for putting everything in one post. Having looked up a lot of things in the course of this discussion, I fairly quickly realized what you just outlined so succintly. The same names keep coming up, they are all selling products and credible research for the Brownstein crowd's claims, the huge doses, for example, is lacking.

• thenewme
    thenewme Member Posts: 174
    edited January 2014
    Options

Thanks, Momine!  I never cease to be amazed at how many people are willing to promote unproven and/or dangerous cancer treatments, and I'm repulsed by how often they do so for affiliate marketing or MLM income (?!). How can they face themselves in the mirror?

I'm reminded of my mom's Amway MLM friend and how annoying she was, but overpaying for house cleaning products is worlds apart from scamming cancer patients!

• lightandwind
    edited January 2014
    Options

Newme. I hate multilevel marketing too. But how is that relevant to this discussion, unless you are just trying to discredit people because of their chosen line of work? Iodine is dirt cheap. 

If we really want to get into people making profit off of hazardous substances then we have a whole scary world of much more substantial profiting going on with patented pharmaceuticals. Many pharmaceuticals especially some chemos that are supposed to be safe, and supposed to work, instead often just make people more sick, disease progress, immune systems frighteningly weak, therefore threatening the health of the patient and their survival. The people patenting those drugs, are profiting in numbers that can't even begin to compare to the people selling dirt cheap iodine. 

I've purchased 2 bottles of iodine each under or about $20 in 2 years, I won't need another one until almost 2015. It takes around a year or more to get through a bottle. Far less when you decrease your dose for maintenance. If the people selling iodine are such crooks, then they really should get behind something more profitable, like pharmaceuticals. 

I had not heard of any of the people you mentioned until I came to this thread, never bought iodine from them. I did go to breastcancerchoices.org a couple of times, to see what they had to say, but that's not why I chose to use it.

I talked to my oncologist who is completely conventional who did not, as he usually does, recommend that I stop supplementing with it. Rather he had an open discussion with me about the health benefits of potassium iodide/iodine. Try to get an onc to test your iodine level though. They won't do it because it's not in their extremely limited protocol.

I had researched potassium iodide/iodine because I wanted to see if it might help give me a fighting chance. That's what most of us want, whoever has to or gets to profit. Personally, I'd rather someone profit as little as possible off of me while I'm sick.  If the product helps me to get well, and/or improve my life, and I know that now on a cellular level, because of my experience with it, then I don't mind supporting it.

• [Deleted User]
    edited January 2014
    Options

THANK YOU thenewme, I was trying to do research on the subject of levels of iodine needed, and I began to feel as if I were in a "telephone, if you want x press 1" maze.  It seems to me a lot like the large pharmaceutical companies declaring the "presence" of a new disease and marketing it as "Low T" ( low testosterone) and making a fortune out of the "medication" to prevent/cure it. Or worse, when journalists promote ideas given to them by politicians, and then write about it, and then the politicians cite the journalists as sources. The most notorious example of the later was the New York Times/Judith Miller/VPCheney/Iraq WMD.

Your one post covered so much valuable information. So many taking advantage of vulnerability of cancer patients. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU thenewme.

• [Deleted User]
    edited January 2014
    Options

thenewme - I've copied your post, and will circulate it to friends who have been trying to help me find the information I wanted.  I've called it the Iodine MLM Network.  Again, thank you for getting to the heart of it all.

• lightandwind
    edited January 2014
    Options

Newme. I don't know about any of these people. 

If people selling iodine are such crooks though they really should get into something more profitable like pharmaceuticals.

Iodine is dirt cheap, and can be bought for $10-$20 a bottle. Lasts for a year or much more depending on how much you take. Very little profitting is going on in comparison to conventional treatment.

Pharmaceutical companies are killing people and making enormous profits, continuing to profit off of some drugs, that completely destroy immune systems, cause new cancer, and make existing cancer progress. 

Really prefer that people profit as little as possible off of me when I am sick.

Aside from all the players.. The research on iodine has and will continue to speak for itself.

We have choices. 

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,980
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hi all,

Please remember there
    is individual choice in medical or non-medical decisions; please refrain from providing direct
    medical advice, and just state your opinions and experience. Every
    person will do their research, and make the most informed best decision
    for their lives. Please respect that each person has
    that right, and
    help support your fellow sisters. If you are posting information
    that differs from the opinions of others, please do so in a respectful
    and supportive manner. Wherever possible, please continue to cite the information you're providing.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation!

--The Mods

• jojo68
    edited January 2014
    Options

Thanks, Mods.

Again, we are just information sharing....Everyone can do their own research.  Let's try to not debunk each other...we are all responsible individuals capable of doing our own research and making our own decisions.  If some of you feel iodine is dangerous, then that is quite fine!  We all know how you feel so let's just move on to more info sharing, instead of debunking.

There is hardly a profit to be made with iodine...Lynn Farrow's book is only $10 on Amazon and she freely speaks with me on the group with lots of FREE advice that you will NEVER find in an oncologist's office!  Lynn also had cancer, as well as Stephanie....we are all just trying to find our way.

• jojo68
    edited January 2014
    Options

Great points, Light!  "Standard of care" that is 'recommended' is VERY profitable.

• jojo68
    edited January 2014
    Options

Also...let us not forget the study I presented above by NCBI...

The results presented in this paper build on the substantial epidemiologic, clinical and cellular data regarding the actions of iodine in breast physiology. We suggest that the protective effects of iodine/iodide on breast disease may be in part through the inhibition or modulation of estrogen pathways. Data presented suggests that iodine/iodide may inhibit the estrogen response through 1) up-regulating proteins involved in estrogen metabolism (specifically through increasing the CYP1A1/1B1 ratio), and 2) decreasing BRCA1 inhibition thus permitting its inhibition of estrogen responsive transcription. These data open the way for further defining pathways impacted by the essential element, iodine, in the cellular physiology of extrathyroidal tissues, particularly the breast.

• Momine
    edited January 2014
    Options

OK, I think I have stuck to the subject at hand and have been completely respectful in this discussion. But I honestly do not understand what is wrong with debunking information that is either erroneous, misunderstood or whatever. I don't mean opinions of other posters, I am talking about articles, links etc. Why would there be anything wrong with pointing out errors of fact or logic?

• jojo68
    edited January 2014
    Options

Because, many of the 'debunking' is based on opinion as well....

• [Deleted User]
    edited January 2014
    Options

Momine, I am not able to do the depth of research thenewme does, and what she's found, is the MLM approach I was sensing, but couldn't find the links to.  There is so much money to be made, books, ads sold on websites which get increased "hits" - all self promoting, again, thank you thenewme.  I think your extensive post is just the kind of research the Moderators would support.  It gives us the opportunity to learn in depth, before making our own choices.  Best example for me, is a poster suggesting a Yahoo group is a "good source" ( I don't join any groups) and then finding it is part of the "loop" of self referencing I was getting caught up  in trying to find well documented, tested, information.

The research posted by thenewme is what I was trying to get to the heart of, I couldn't, and I deeply appreciate her skill and clarity in posting the information.

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited January 2014
    Options

This is the COMPLIMENTARY forum.  Not the alternative one.  Reasoned respectful discussion and debunking most certainly is allowed and Momine has been perfectly respectful and polite on this.

• jojo68
    edited January 2014
    Options

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2011/oct2011_The-Silent-Epidemic-of-Iodine-Deficiency_01.htm

Although the doses of iodine used in these studies are substantial, equivalent to 5,000 mcg daily, no toxic effects of iodine were observed, either on thyroid function or in other tissues.18,54,56

• jojo68
    edited January 2014
    Options

I never said momine was disrespectful, in fact, she is usually VERY respectful.. The image posted of the ostrich's head in sand is VERY disrespectful.

• jojo68
    edited January 2014
    Options

If one of us 'holistic' ladies posted that image in your conventional post, we would be chastised.

• jojo68
    edited January 2014
    Options

Doesn't matter if this is the comp forum or alternative...the disrespect follows.

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited January 2014
    Options

Jo Jo, respectfully, I find it disrespectful that you come in chastising everyone any time a discussion doesn't meet with your approval.  

• [Deleted User]
    edited January 2014
    Options

Again, I'd like to thank thenewme, none of the links she provided to explain the "loop" of self referencing was "opinion" - she figured out, through the depth of her research, what was confusing me in looking for information, and she verified what Momine was finding too.  I don't think thenewme was disrespectful in providing the depth of information she posted. 

• Momine
    edited January 2014
    Options

Sunflowers, I agree. The point is to share info, and that is exactly what Newme did and what I have tried to do as well. 

I wanted to thank everyone for sharing all their links and info, because I learned a lot of new things about iodine in the course of this discussion.

• jojo68
    edited January 2014
    Options

Melissa...I am not going to go back and forth with you like it's high school.  I suggest the people on here interested in iodine just share the info and ignore the taunts....no need to prove anything.

• SelenaWolf
    SelenaWolf Member Posts: 231
    edited January 2014
    Options

It always amazes me that people persist in thinking that the nutritional supplement industry isn't in the business to make money.

Let's do the math: it costs about $50.00 for 500 grams of USP grade iodine, which works out to about 10 cents a gram. That means that 100 ml (approximately 3 ounces) of a 5% solution would contain about 50 cents worth of iodine.  If only one ounce of this solution was sold for $1.00, that would mean that the company making the solution would benefit from an approximate 600% profit markup.

Therefore, if Lugol's 5% Iodine Solution With 10% Potassium Iodide, which is sold for around roughly $25.00 in 1 ounce bottles, then the company is enjoying a huge profit margin for their product.  "Dirt cheap"?  I think not.

And, jojo, with all due respect, Lynn Farrow is not an oncologist; therefore whatever advice she is providing - free or otherwise - with regards to breast cancer and breast cancer treatment is based on her personal opinion and experience.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,980
    edited January 2014
    Options

Okay, okay. Let us remind everyone again that this thread should stay on track and remain respectful moving FORWARD.