Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2014 Surgery Sisters

Options

Comments

• levassel
    levassel Member Posts: 254
    edited January 2014
    Options

lighthouselady - oh ok...I guess I didn't see the part about your positive nodes.  One last thing...sounds like you are ready for it!

• pinktiara
    pinktiara Member Posts: 716
    edited January 2014
    Options

HVV,

so sorry for the crappy news.

I agree about not knowing anymore what to be happy about. I opted for a BMX because I had DCIS and the stats said I would have an almost zero chance of the beast not coming back.( no rads, no chemo)  Turned out I had invasive  everywhere...now I get to discuss chemo and hormonal therapy. WTF. Also been having hellish headaches for the last 3 nights.  No amount of aspirin, percoset.....touches the pain.

so rant away...right there with you.

hoping to find some peace sometime soon.

love to all,

Eve

• pinktiara
    edited January 2014
    Options

ok, sorry for sounding like a baby.

Started thinking about my sons. One is a Marine the other former Navy Corpsman. Served in Iraq and Afghanistan. Both sucked it up and did their duty with no complaints. So I will not be anything less than they.

onward and upward to infinity and beyond Nerdy

love

• pinktiara
    edited January 2014
    Options

Not to forget to add all of you brave women to my list of inspirational people I can look to for a kick in the seat of the pants when I get whiny.

love

• Tam178
    Tam178 Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2014
    Options

@momaton Please don't feel that you can't whine! This is exactly what these forums are for. Scream, bleat etc ANYTIME!!!

I'm feeling very lucky right now 0/5 nodes and because of the Xmas 2 week shutdown the cancer centre got back to be in 4 days with oncology appointments instead of expected 2 weeks and the appointments are in 1 week! 

I will finally get to discuss % and possible benefits of chemo and if I am being totally unrealistic hoping to work through all my treatment (s)???!

I'm the breadwinner in our family of 4 so I was back "working" Wednesday 22nd 8am (from home) after my 2 weeks recovery suggested by the surgeon. Any one else have suggestions for trying to juggle 4 medical appointments in 1 week ( family doc, psycolologist, RO initial consult, MO initial consult) and work full time??? This is harder than I expected. I also have a massage appointment but that's 6.30 so after my 8-5 working hours.

Thanks for listening

• lighthouselady
    lighthouselady Member Posts: 248
    edited January 2014
    Options

Tam - great news about 0 nodes!!! I only work part time, but there are several ladies in my Sept chemo group on here that worked throughout. They would have to take off chemo day and depending on what day of the week, maybe another day or two each time. Everybody is different in how their body handles it. My sister-in-law was hospitalized five out of her six treatments. I had a harsher chemo cocktail and did fine.... Went to the ER once with a severe migraine but that's it. It is no picnic, but there are so many meds to keep on top of the side effects!

• girlstrong
    girlstrong Member Posts: 299
    edited January 2014
    Options

hi tam, I worked during chemo. Not easy but doable . I arranged to have my chemo on Thursday and then I usually took the day after (Friday) off. All said and done, I took about 2to 3 days off every 3weeks(my chemo cycle was every 3weeks) .  Your in the crazy phase of meeting with lots of doctors to try to get your treatment plan in order. Things will settle down...promise. 

So my surgery is on Wednesday and I have been saying "goodbye" to my boobs. Anyone else do this??? After I got out of the shower I just looked and thought to myself...in a few days this piece of my body will be gone. Scared

• lighthouselady
    edited January 2014
    Options

girlstrong - I did that, too. In fact I even had my hubby take pictures (first ever naked pictures LOL). I don't know that I'll ever want to look at them.... don't want to be sad about what cancer took from me. But I didn't want to NOT have a pic in case I did want to look back someday. And maybe compare once I'm on the other side of recon. LOL

• girlstrong
    girlstrong Member Posts: 299
    edited January 2014
    Options

lighthouse lady: I have heard of women on these boards getting pic before their surgery. Some even got them professionally done. I know I won't go that route but maybe I will take some at home. It's interesting, I never really liked my "boobs", never wore clothes that showed the girls off etc. I am pretty small cup and so I think they were always not a focal point for me. Now, however, since they'll be gone I find myself tearing up:( 

• levassel
    edited January 2014
    Options

Girlstrong...I said goodbye too...I was sad days before.  These boobies nursed my babies!  I took pictures and even had goodbye boobie sex...LOL.

Since they've been gone I haven't been sad about losing them.  Maybe I will someday???

Laurie

• levassel
    edited January 2014
    Options

I've also been taking pics every few days since to track my healing.

• lighthouselady
    edited January 2014
    Options

Laurie - I haven't been sad since surgery either - isn't that weird?  I'm glad you said that about taking pics to track your healing.  I've been wanting to take a pic (after surgery but before any fills) but didn't want to with the stupid drain tubes still hanging down.  Now that they're gone, I'll have to take a pic.

So... three weeks post-surgery and I still have a lot of discomfort in one area.  I'm not sure if it's where the expander is on that side?  Or maybe it's because the drain tube ran across the top of the expander right there and it just needs to heal now that the drain is gone?  Or maybe it's because I had 24 lymph nodes out on that side and I just have a lot of tenderness in there.  It's right at the upper/outer part of my chest, almost in the crease of my arm & chest.  That's about the only place I have any pain at all.  I hope it's not something I'm going to have indefinitely until I get the expanders out, because it really sucks.

• levassel
    edited January 2014
    Options

lighthouselady:  I have pain about there too.  My implants are permanent and have these fill ports just under my skin.  They kinda jut out here and there.   That's what I think my pain is caused from....more of a discomfort for me.  Once I'm filled they just pull the ports out.  I have to go to the hospital for this....I really hope it's a simple procedure.  Does anyone know?

Hoping you a painless evening.  :)

Laurie

• bc101
    bc101 Member Posts: 923
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hello All!

I haven't been on this site at all -- too busy focusing on recovering from surgery. It was long...checked in at 6 am, and they got started at 8 am with the double mastectomy which went until about 12 pm. Then the reconstruction lasted until around 3 pm, and after that I was in recovery for about 2 hours. So, didn't get transferred into my room until about 6 pm. Went home the next afternoon.

My BS said that  I AM CANCER FREE!!! WHOOHOOO!

The first week was killer. I stopped taking the pain meds due to extreme constipation. Was very uncomfortable without those, but didn't want to get bound up.

It's been two weeks and I'm doing better. During my post op last week everyone on my team was impressed at how well I was doing -- no pain pills, moving around, bowels back to normal, incisions healing well, all but 2 drains were removed. They were all pleased to go over the pathology report with me again showing all clear nodes, nice WIDE CLEAN margins. One test they did called a ki-67 that tests for tumor markers gave a score of 0.5% out of 100, one of the lowest scores they'd ever seen on that test! Given the characteristics of my type of cancer (estrogen positive), chemo would be of no benefit whatsoever. Whooot!!!

The rest of the tumor that was removed showed that it was 60% dead, so the anti-hormonal drugs kicked its butt! Given all that awesomeness, my radiology oncologist decided that I DO NOT NEED RADIATION!! She feels that given the fact that there was no further nodal involvement, it's unlikely that tumor spread anywhere else. So, I am officially done with treatment, except that I will be continuing the hormonal therapy for at least five years. :))

All in all, aside for some extreme anxiety and pain I experienced right after the surgery, my recovery so far has been pretty good. It took awhile for the good news to sink in. I think that's normal. It's been such a struggle to get to this point and now it's finally over....thank goodness!! The TE's are very painful at times - especially the tight band feeling right below the breasts. This seems to happen more at nighttime when I'm laying down. But I feel like it's going to start going uphill from here. One other strange side effect I'm having is blurry vision. Don't know if it's from all the meds or the anesthesia. Hoping that will go away on its own soon.

Wishing you all the best during your recovery!

• levassel
    edited January 2014
    Options

bc101 - CONGRATS on all your good news.

Laurie

• ClaireFraser
    ClaireFraser Member Posts: 47
    edited January 2014
    Options

My niece got married today, so we have family in town, so for the most part, I did well.  I had two meltdowns this week, Wed. and tonight... my surgery is Tuesday.  I am ready to be done with it, because right now I am anxious and scared.  When I had a lumpectomy last month, I was fine. But a mastectomy is another story.  God bless all if you who are going through this... it sucks.  But I know we're all gonna kick BC's arse, right?

• Char66
    Char66 Member Posts: 35
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hi ladies just checking back in-have a question-have been having areas of skin esp under arms and outer breasts that feel like severe burns at times-feels raw, very uncomfortable. The skin is not red or rashy, just burning pain. I had BMX w bil SNB and immediate implants on Jan 3rd. Finally getting to feel better except this burning raw pain. Stilll having lots of swelling on rt, and probably will have to have necrosis incision removed on lt breast. Has anyone had this type of burning? Char

• lighthouselady
    edited January 2014
    Options

Char - I have the same thing, especially on the left side where they did axillary lymph node removal.  It feels like a rug burn on the inside, especially in the crease of my arm toward the front of my shoulder.  That's about the only discomfort I have.  Mine feels deeper than the skin, though - most of my skin is completely numb from the bmx.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 126
    edited January 2014
    Options

HELP: Has anyone developed a tightness across their chest?  I was very flexible for the first 8 days and now day 11 I am very tight and cannot raise one arm above my shoulder.  Anyone else have a simialr experience?  Yes I am doing my exercises.  All the time. V

• iwannaseeyoubebrave
    iwannaseeyoubebrave Member Posts: 67
    edited January 2014
    Options

Char66, I think the burning is from the snb. I had it as well.  It felt raw and like someone was rubbing sandpaper under my arm.  I kept a small kidney shaped pillow in my arm pit to keep space between my arm and body.  It helped relieve the discomfort.  The raw feeling should subside soon.  All the best to you and wishing you comfortable healing. 

• Char66
    Char66 Member Posts: 35
    edited January 2014
    Options

iwannaseeyoubebrave and lighthouselady--THANK YOU-thought I was losing my mind! Yes I do put a small thin pillow under the arms and helps some, just thought it was really strange! Feel relieved that not abnormal. I have been seeing the PS 2X wk since surgery for the left breast and necrosis-told me not to cough hard-could blow the implant out-yikes-looks like may have to remove the area. Prayers to all the healers and those waiting-soon this month will be done and we will all be over the hurdle, at least one of them. Thanks again for the quick response. Char

• pinktiara
    edited January 2014
    Options

hi HVV,

I don't have any advice just wanted to aknowledge your post. Maybe back off a bit and put heat on it. I seem to tighten up if I have done too much.

Hope you feel better.

Char: I have the same feeling also...like a rug burn, mine is all through both breasts. Good excuse for not doing anything today.ThumbsUp

take care everyone,

Eve

• aviva5675
    aviva5675 Member Posts: 836
    edited January 2014
    Options

I had the same feeling under the upper part of my right arm. It has slowly gotten alot better over the months. It is still noticeable tho, and I also get an uncomfortable feeling if that arm is really cold. I have zingers tho, so know the nerves are still healing. Ive been told by others here it can take even a year to heal up, but might never be 100% the same.  But the bad burning feeling should subside.

• levassel
    edited January 2014
    Options

char66 I agree with lighthouselady.  I had nodes removed in a previous surgery and I had a nasty feeling there too.  I tried to keep my armpit open a bit by raising my arm a bit. My BMX was jan 2 and there are still spots of blood everytime I change the gauze.  I had immediate implants too and I have pain where the fill ports are. 

Laurie

• levassel
    edited January 2014
    Options

clairefraser....it will be over soon.  You are entitled to your meltdowns....I think we all had them.  It's hard to imagine it now....but mentally you will feel better once your surgery is over.  You don't have to be strong all the time.  Keep us posted after Tuesday!  You will do great!  :)

Laurie

• levassel
    edited January 2014
    Options

char66 I had necrosis on the cancer side too.  I had it removed and it's totally good now.  I was nervous about the pain of it....but there wasn't any.  Sounds like a common thing.  Don't worry.  :)

Laurie

• pinktiara
    edited January 2014
    Options

clairefraser,

Thinking of you. I was a complete wreak the night before and morning of my BMX. I almost backed out at the very last minute.  The evening after surgery I felt so relieved and kinda warm and loopy.  :). All was well.

Take care,

Eve

• Summerwheat
    Summerwheat Member Posts: 54
    edited January 2014
    Options

I hear you, Claire Fraser, my date is Wed. (UMX). I had a meltdown 2 weeks ago, and felt fine after, but today I am at home from work, by myself, and am going through all the prescriptions I got, making a list of passwords for my bank accounts and Dr. phone numbers for my husband, and am just plain scared. I have turned off my phone, I don't want to talk to anyone, it's a bit awkward, although I have wonderful awesome friends here (since my fam is far away in Europe). Very best of luck to all the remaining Jan surgery ladies, we will get through this. And thank you for those of you who have been there for all the tips, the encouragement and the wishes - Laurie, Eve, Aviva and others. Hugs,

Alexandra

• tb90
    tb90 Member Posts: 280
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hi Summer:  You are having your mx exactly six weeks after I had mine.  The surgery went extremely well for me and in fact I was in a hotel room only three hours after waking up.  NOT that I would recommend that for all.  I had very little pain and only used extra strength Tylenol.  The drain was a bit of a pain, but not too bad.  Everyone's experience is different, but I do want you to know that it can be very doable.  I have total use of my arm and no numb parts even though I did have a SNB.  I was very anxious too, but looking back, it was wasted anxiety.  My thoughts will be with you on Wednesday.  (((hugs))))

• BigDBeatingBigC
    BigDBeatingBigC Member Posts: 228
    edited January 2014
    Options

Summerwheat, you will come through this just fine.  It is always, always better on the other side, but we all understand about the fears and anxiety when you are waiting, no matter what part of the journey you are waiting on.  I will be thinking of you as well on the 29th and let us know how it all goes!