Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2014 Surgery Sisters

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 126
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hi, doing well. grateful for your support. sore and tired but doing my exercises. ; )

Waitng for path report and trying to be okay. V

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 126
    edited January 2014
    Options

flat by the way feels fine! V Don't be scared. it will be okay.  

• Tam178
    Tam178 Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2014
    Options

I'm now on day 11 post surgery which was right 12 o clock lumpectomy and snb with no drains. I used emla (numbing cream) for radioactive tracer injection and although the fluid did sting for a few seconds, overall it helped me a lot!

I just turned 37 and very... Tenacious?? But I pretty much have my arm & shoulder movement back.. Very tight and somewhat painful between armpit and elbow, but helped by Physio exercises I was given preop. 

I'm currently taking 3 x 1g Tylenol extra strength and 2 x 400mg ibuprofen doses per 24hrs to handle to pain. The "zingers" however really still blast through that, especially in the early morning. 20mg nightly melatonin is still working magic for sleeping well.

I don't want to belittle those who did MX and still have drains, but really wanted to encourage others who are followingy path through this adventure in life.

Good luck to all those still waiting for surgery, hoping to get my path report at my wound check surgeon followup tomorrow morning. =)

• levassel
    levassel Member Posts: 254
    edited January 2014
    Options

I'm on day 12 post op and sometimes I'm feeling like it's not going to be over anytime soon.   I tried a bit of modified vacuuming (like 2 min...holding with both hands) and it was not a good idea.  I was immediately in pain and again today.  I am starting to feel guilty for not doing ANYTHING. 

lighthouselady...I'm still feeling the constant pressure around my chest...with the swelling and the implants.  Its like a elastic band tightening.

I only had 2 drains...and both are gone now.  But I'm still getting fluid build-up which I have to drive 2 hours to have drained every few days.

I'm still taking 2 tylonol 3 mostly every 4 hours.  And the zingers continue....stop you right in your tracks for sure.

Laurie

• levassel
    edited January 2014
    Options

I certainly can't imagine driving yet.  Still too sore and on too many meds. 

• levassel
    edited January 2014
    Options

My PS is re-opening my incisions on Tuesday.  I guess there is some dead skin (although she says it mostly looks good).  The will cut this away and sew me up again.  Is anyone else doing this or have this done? It will be done just with a local...kinda makes me nervous I will be awake.

Laurie

• aviva5675
    aviva5675 Member Posts: 836
    edited January 2014
    Options

The zingers continue for a long time! But its a good sign- that nerves are working to regenerate. Please be cautious trying to do things at less than 2 weeks out- mx is a major surgery and your whole upper body area is really affected. Better to take it slow than cause any possible damage by overdoing. The te tightness might be there too for along time- but, as long as its not horribly painful, to me anyway, it was doable.

• levassel
    edited January 2014
    Options

Ya the tight feeling is doable.  And yep...I have to take it slower.  I just felt pretty good yesterday and thought I could manage it....I wish I could have yesterday back...and I would NOT vacuum.  Oh well.

Laurie

• pinktiara
    pinktiara Member Posts: 716
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hi all,

Home from nipple sparing double MX on Friday. Came home yesterday( Saturday)...within 24 hours of surgery.

My surgeon is the best. She was able to save my old implants and nipples....everything looks great! Yippee.

I am an A cup again but perky...lol...well sorta perky....boobs are tired so am I.

Surgery took 5 hours which was a lot longer than expected, but all went well. SNB 0/2 yeah!.

Drains are no big deal only have 2 and the pain is tolerable with the Percocet. I am at an advantage because BS didn't have to touch my muscles which I know causes a lot more discomfort.

I will take advice from you all and slow down...I too try to do too much. Putting my princess hat on and letting my hubby take care of me.

thanks everyone ....couldn't have made it with out all of you.

now waiting on pathology......not gonna worry.

Eve

• Dancermom1999
    Dancermom1999 Member Posts: 62
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hi Momaton:

So glad to hear your surgery went well and that you are home!

• lindacam
    lindacam Member Posts: 97
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hi.  BMX ina few weeks.  What should I bring with me to hospital?

• pinktiara
    pinktiara Member Posts: 716
    edited January 2014
    Options

hi Lindacam,

You know I think it depends on how long you have to stay.

My stay was 24 hours, so really all I ended up needing was a pair of pj shorts to wear under the hospital gown. The hospital provided everything else, including bras....very soft and pretty. But you are getting implants so I think you are either wrapped or have a tight bra. Didn't need any personal type toiletries. I watched HGTV in between nodding off and having visitors. I really didn't feel like doing anything but laying there and resting. Of course if I had to stay a few days ..a book, crossword puzzles...stuff you like to do at home.

You are pretty wiped out after surgery. A pillow to put under seatbelt I wore my pj's home so I wouldn't have to change again.

One thing I should have realized....my pj tops were too small to accommodate the drains....so keep size in mind.

Good luck!

hugs

• pokemom1959
    pokemom1959 Member Posts: 67
    edited January 2014
    Options

I'm having a lumpectomy with IORT on Thursday.  I'm a little bit nervous.  Was diagnosed in November, so it's been awhile, but with the holidays and the surgery being so far off, I was actually able to forget about it (well, maybe not forget, but not dwell on it) for awhile.  Now it's getting real.  I think I'm more nervous about the final path report than the actual surgery.   I'm saying prayers for all of you - stay strong ladies!

Debbie

• levassel
    edited January 2014
    Options

The last few days before surgery are the worst.  I  had a BMX Jan 2...and I cried like crazy for a few days before.  The recovery is not always easy...but at least most of your worry will be gone.  You will do great!

• aviva5675
    edited January 2014
    Options

lindacam you will also be less able to walk around Id suppose with ovary removal. I wouldnt bring much at all to hospital. Some loose waisted sweats and button shirts for going home. Little pillow or sweatshirt to wad up for under your chest seatbelt. Or I rode in the back with lap belt...I brought book and tablet, but just was too out of it and zoned out to use them.  Try to have pain prescriptions filled before hand, so theyre home already. Have stuff counter height as you wont have arm usage much (think trex arms). Count on your helper alot! Have them help you up from bed by your back, push you up/forward, then its easier to swing legs over. Have the nurses in hospital do the same.

• lindacam
    lindacam Member Posts: 97
    edited January 2014
    Options

Thanks everyone.  The scariest part is I am an RN.    I work with premature babies so my area is soooo clean.  Our nurse to baby ratio is great.  I have to now go in a different area where they have bad nurse to client ratios and don't wash their hands enough... I feel so out of control...hate needing help!

• Char66
    Char66 Member Posts: 35
    edited January 2014
    Options

Lindacam-I am also a RN, had BMX Jan 3rd and you are right! Was in hosp 2 nights, 8 hr surgery, 2 hrs PAR, then to room about 10pm. PAR nurse told me that she had MX few months prior and the pain delivery pump did not  help her-so I did not need one either???? Then on top of it all, she continued to tell me I would have a lot of pain from the drains-all while trying to awake from anesthesia,. And yes, I will find out what the actual MD orders were and her name and superior (I also worked in OR and PAR previously-and was not that kind of care given!)  By midnight was on oral pain med (one Percocet) which was like a baby asa after all the surgery. Could go on, but my advice-have someone there with you thru the night. Someone who can make sure they get your meds ON TIME even tho you may be asleep, because you will certainly wake later and get behind on levels. Also someone to help you to bathroom, walking-only had a NA help once. Yes I did have BMX w immediate silicone implants-Allergan 45 700cc ultra projection. No my nipples are gone but plan on visiting Vinnie next fall and getting new ones.  (Had gotten in touch with Whippetmom on Implants 101-great advice) Is this the best way to go? I can't tell you-just know it has been rather rough first week, second week slightly better. Today is the best so far. Off narcotics-Tylenol and motrin now .Wear compression bra 24/7. Healing quite well except black area under lt breast they are watching closely. But given a choice I would have the immediate implant I think-don't think at my age 66 want to go thru much more, at least not until the memory fades abit. I had 42 DD and because I did not want to go bigger and alittle smaller was ok-hoping for C-PS felt he could do it one-step. Not sure they will end up C's, but they are not in my waistband anymore :-)

levassel-take it easy. Follow aviva5675 advice-she has been right on!

Aviva-thank you so much for helping all of us out with your knowledge and suggestions. You veterans of BC are such a help to all.

• lighthouselady
    lighthouselady Member Posts: 248
    edited January 2014
    Options

Glad to hear everyone is doing so well!  

Friday was two weeks since my bmx and I'm feeling pretty good.  Still have a drain on each side.  I'm ready for them to be gone!  The one is ready to come out, and I'm hoping I can convince Hubby to pull it (nurse said we could).  She said it had to be under 20cc for two consecutive days... it was 20, then 15 and then 15 again yesterday.

My expander on the left side shifted since surgery and it's very uncomfortable.  It's lower than the other one and more towards my underarm.  Ugh.  I don't know what that's going to look like once they start fills.

I'm really not taking any pain meds... I take Tylenol during the day if I need it, and a pain pill at bedtime sometimes.  My chest/ribs feel constricted thanks to the TEs, but my worse pain and discomfort is from the remaining drains.  I tried to do my range of motion exercises today... some were ok but a couple were OUCH.  I definitely have a lot of work to do on my left side.

Good luck to those of you having surgery this week.  Keep us posted!

• ClaireFraser
    ClaireFraser Member Posts: 47
    edited January 2014
    Options

Ugh, anxiety pre-surgery... one week from tomorrow.  Glad I have this group to help, I am taking notes on post-surgery.  I do have one question.  I understand with MX, depending on the path report, radiation and chemo is still a possibility.  Does this affect reconstruction with a TE and implant placement?  

• iwannaseeyoubebrave
    iwannaseeyoubebrave Member Posts: 67
    edited January 2014
    Options

Today is my oncologist appointment since lumpectomy to review pathology reports and plan next steps.  Feeling slightly anxious since pathology reports came back different than original biopsy report.  I'm ready to take this next step on this bumpy ride.  Let's do this!

• levassel
    edited January 2014
    Options

The wait is definately the worst.  When it's over at least you are on the path forward to recovery.  I had my BMX Jan 2 and yesterday was my best day.  Starting to reduce my pain meds.  I'm on my way now to get a touch up to my inscisions and get my path results tomorrow.

Have the best day you all can today.  :)

Laurie

• graceb1
    graceb1 Member Posts: 56
    edited January 2014
    Options

iwannaseeyou- my path report came back very different from what we expected. Much larger :-( than expected. We couldn't feel it but it was still 4 cm. And then the type was different too. They think it's a primary neuroendrocrine bc tumor which I had never even heard of. It's pretty rare from the little I been able to find online. I just had a talk with the BS and she sent another sample off for a second reading. Wonder what the the MO will say? I don't even have a appointment with him until March but you can bet I'll bet talking with him before then. I have to wonder if I had the right kind of chemo or if we would have done something different if we had known this ahead of time. 

I'm doing really well after my SMX on the 8th.  I'm still in a little pain but got one drain pulled and the other is decreasing rapidly. Hope to start getting filled on Fri. Staying home watching the snow fall today, expecting 8 inches by night time.

• aviva5675
    edited January 2014
    Options

Claire from what I understand radiation could impact the te/fills. I didnt have rads, so cannot speak to that terribly much. If the plan is to put in te during the mx, Id try and go for that then see what is next for you after that.

Good luck to those waiting on path results! Waiting is the hardest part.

• girlstrong
    girlstrong Member Posts: 299
    edited January 2014
    Options

GraceBI:  We all have to be brave when getting those pathology reports....I am glad that your healing well from surgery.  With your new tumor dx. I am sure that your MO will have a plan of action for you.  If not, get 2nd opinion and research.  Did you have ALND too? 

As for TE's with rads...it can be done but the risks are higher for failure.  Still some PS and RO will give it a try and in some cases it works out. yeah!!  Other PS may wait up to a year after rads before they place TE's.  The goal is really to place TE's into an environment of oxygen rich tissue.  Unfortunately rads comprimises that but to varying degrees.  I had 3 PS opinions, 2 told me that they would and could do TE's prior to rads and would suspect a good outcome.  1 PS told me to wait until a year after rads.  

• Summerwheat
    Summerwheat Member Posts: 54
    edited January 2014
    Options

It's good to see that the "early January Sisters" are slowly getting better, very best wishes to you, ladies, may your recovery be uneventful, with no bad surprises.

I have kept my cool until now, got more pillows, have a cleaning lady lined up and my sister in law coming to take care of the kids the first few days. Got my prescriptions fille as well. I am so scared now, have UMX on Jan. 29. My husband, friends and coworkers have been so amazing, but I am not the strong person they think I am - I just have no choice but to go through this, and I am trying to hide how I really feel.  I am so scared of the anesthesia, the pain, the reconstruction process, had a major meltdown Saturday night, which I drowned in several Gin & Tonics in my kitchen (I usually have a beer about once a week) that gave me a hangover for the entire Sunday. Then I dug up the backyard and planted some plants, that felt good (I am in California, so planting in January is possible) and productive, and I will be out of commission for yard work and other house renovation for some time.  I am not sure how to tell the kids - our son (8 1/2) is a very sensitive boy. Sorry for rambling, I just want this to be over with and move on. I am sitting at work, my desk is full, I have two meetings I have to present at (in front of executives who have naturally no idea what I have been through the last weeks since diagnosis), I can't focus, and have started sleeping badly. Sorry, it's just DCIS (with hopefully no additional findings), but the surgery is the same.

None of you wants to hang out here, but it's been so tremendously helpful to read your comments, recommendations and notes. It makes me not feel like a big baby when I rant. Thanks for letting me. The waiting gives me too much time to think.

• girlstrong
    girlstrong Member Posts: 299
    edited January 2014
    Options

hi Summereheat: my BMX is on January 29 too and everything you said is exactly what I am going through..,,the co workers not knowing (I haven't shared my dx and journey with everyone); those who know tell me I look great and am strong; but I don't give myself that much credit; and I have a presentation to upper management on Friday!! I am simply going through the motions to do what I have to do. Like you I have little ones. My 8 and 11 year old know I will be having surgery. During dinner my 11 year old said "so what are they going to do to you mom" . I have chosen not to explain all the ins and outs of mastectomy with reconstruction but what I did say is that the surgeons have to make sure that all the cancer is gone and "clean" everything out. That seemed to answer the question and so I take a deep breaths and continue on with this journey. 

To all my BC sisters; stay strong. The light at the end is getting closer :)

• Mommyathome
    Mommyathome Member Posts: 876
    edited January 2014
    Options

Summerwheat  and girl strong,

Add me to the list! My surgery is January 29 as well. I have been waiting 2 months since being diagnosed with DCIS and I felt more confident, stronger and at peace with my decision before! As the time is coming closer my nerves are kicking in. I'm scared. There I said it! I have been trying to be strong for everyone else; my 4 kids- ages11,9,7,3 and my mom who is a breast cancer survivor. I know she feels somehow responsible for my diagnosis and I'm trying to be like, I'm ok no sweat I got this! But at night my mind starts thinking about the surgery, the recovery, the reconstruction, what I'm going to look like and feel etc. I know I have a tremendous amount of support at home and work but there are those moments where it just hits me! I have cancer! My breast, which nourished my 4 babies are going to be cut from me! Taken away! I have faith that physically I will heal, I will learn to accept my new body, but I hope I can emotionally! I am going into the surgery not quite feeling as brave as I would've a month or two ago. 

• lighthouselady
    lighthouselady Member Posts: 248
    edited January 2014
    Options

{{hugs}} to all of you still anticipating surgery.  The waiting is the hardest part.  Anxiety and cancer go hand in hand and it stinks!

For the question about TEs and rads.... I had bmx with TE put in, and I'm going to have to do rads.  My PS says it's ideal to be completely filled before starting rads, but I don't know if that's going to happen.  Radiated skin is very hard to work with, so he said I'll have to wait 6-7 months after I finish rads to have my exchange surgery (or whatever recon I choose).

I have two kids (12 and 7) and we didn't tell them anything other than "Mom has to have surgery to get rid of the cancer that chemo didn't."  Neither one has asked anything about it.  They just know they had to give me "soft hugs" and that I can't lift things, etc.  I don't know if either one of them noticed I'm missing breasts or not.... it's not like I walk around displaying the gory details.  LOL  

I thought I was getting one of my drains out yesterday.  It had been at 15cc for three days... but when we emptied it last night it was 20 again.  <sigh>  Now today it's already over 20.  The only thing I can think is that I've started to do my range of motion exercises (per the nurse at my PS office) so maybe that's where the extra fluid is coming from.  Boooo.  I go back to my breast surgeon and the PS on Thursday and I'm really, REALLY hoping to get these last two drains out.  That will be one day shy of three weeks... that's long enough!

So this morning I noticed a lump.  It just appeared today - on the prophylactic side sort of in the front of the crease of my arm.  Hard to describe.... it's almost the front of the bottom of my shoulder (up high/outside) on my chest if that makes sense.  I have no clue what it could be.  It is about the size of a dime and feels firm (not like it's fluid) but it's not sore at all, even if I push it or move it around.  Why is it always SOMETHING????

• Summerwheat
    Summerwheat Member Posts: 54
    edited January 2014
    Options

Thank you for the hugs and understanding ... the waiting is really something. I have been so sweaty and anxious that I have gotten rashes on various unmentionable bodyparts in the last few weeks, thanks so much.

Michelle, crossing fingers that it's nothing significant, my thoughts are with you.

Girlstrong, good luck with the presentation on Friday.

• ClaireFraser
    ClaireFraser Member Posts: 47
    edited January 2014
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, ladies!  btw, my eye doctor who is an 11 year BC survivor had implants two years ago.  She used bio oil every day following her surgery and still uses it, and never had issues with capsulation... the bio oil really does work!  I bought some today, so I'm going to give it a try.