Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2014 Surgery Sisters

Options

Comments

• lighthouselady
    lighthouselady Member Posts: 248
    edited January 2014
    Options

I had a little irritation the night after my surgery, but it was just a scratchy throat/voice. I had packed some throat lozenges but didn't need them.

• levassel
    levassel Member Posts: 254
    edited January 2014
    Options

The aspiration hurt a little...but big picture...not so bad.  I was very relieve.  Bad part was it filled up again...and by evening I was very swollen again.  I have a call in to PS to see what she wants me to do.

Do we all have breathing tubes down our throats during surgery?  Nobody mentioned it to me.  But my throat was a bit scratchy.

Laurie

• aviva5675
    aviva5675 Member Posts: 836
    edited January 2014
    Options

I think its standard procedure any time you are completely out.  As a precaution more than anything else.

• Char66
    Char66 Member Posts: 35
    edited January 2014
    Options

Yes that is true-esp when extended surgery hours-tube protects your airway and when they use the anesthesia ventilator no gaps for airpressure that could happen with just mask. I had no problem with any throat irritation, just had some blister, tear like area on upper lip, imagine where the tube had pressure on my mouth for 7-8 hrs. I would have been terrified to have woken up with ET tube still in place! Waking with such excruciating pain in my arms was about the worst-believe from the hours of being in stretched position. Had OR Jan 3rd, on Mon got drains out and the best of news-clean path report. The drains where both  below 20/cc/each for 2 days, NO discomfort removing them, but what a relief! Char

• BigDBeatingBigC
    BigDBeatingBigC Member Posts: 228
    edited January 2014
    Options

Char, that is super news!  Happy for you!  Yes, I think the tube is fairly standard when you have general anesthesia.  I have always had one and had a bit of a sore throat after, absolutely nothing bad at all.  But yes, waking up with it still in place was not good.  I don't know if that particular doctor always does that or if I just woke up a little earlier or what.  But I did not like it and I will mention it when I see my BS for my follow up.

Thinking of all my sisters today, good luck to those having surgery this week, I know there are several of you!

• mdg
    mdg Member Posts: 1,468
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hi ladies...I just wanted to pop in and offer some hugs and encouragement. I was where you are three years ago.  On January 27th it will be 3 years since my BMX.  I remember how scared I was and how difficult it was. I just want to offer some light at the end of the tunnel.....things WILL get better.  It is a long year when diagnosed, but slowly life will return to normal.  Life is good again!  My biggest unsolicited advice is get moving after your surgery.  Talk to your doctors about any physical therapy or rehab exercises you can do post op.  This was not fun, but I got full range of motion back and I am a very active person (I teach aerobics and workout).  I know the physical therapy and rehab exercises I was given by my breast center really made that possible.  I just want you to know from someone that has been there that you will get through this.  Sending hugs and healing vibes to all of you!  :)

• Dancermom1999
    Dancermom1999 Member Posts: 62
    edited January 2014
    Options

Thanks for the words of encouragement mdg...so glad you are doing great!

• girlstrong
    girlstrong Member Posts: 299
    edited January 2014
    Options

mdg:  I so much appreciate you popping back in on this board to say that everything will be "OK".  Your right, this year (or more) of initial treatment is grueling, long. and seems like it will never end..  As you might guess, I am in the midst of my treatment and feel like I am over the first hurdle (chemo) and not have to take a deep breath as gear up for the second phase...surgery....and then take another deep breat for whatever may need to happen next (rads???) and then take another deep breath to recover and look forward to my hair growing :).  I am tired but know that I need to go on.  LIke you I plan to stay on the boards and as time goes, offer hope to those who are where I am at today.  Thanks again.....

• lighthouselady
    edited January 2014
    Options

Maria - thanks for popping in to offer some encouragement.  Sometimes this feels like it will never end!!  I just got approval today to start my "range of motion" exercises (tomorrow will be 2 weeks post-op).  My right side is doing really good, but my left arm I have little mobility, so that's going to take some work.

I had an uneventful trip to Dallas today. <sigh> 3 hours each way for the nurse to tell me I'm healing good and the skin looks great, but no, the drains are not ready to come out, and no, I'm not ready to get a fill yet. So now I go back NEXT Thursday and hopefully get these last two drains out, and get at least a small fill to get started. Have my rads consult on Feb 6th and would like a couple of fills before then.

Also, what I thought was puffiness from swelling or fluid is actually my expander. It shifted a bit so it's lower and more to the outside than the other. GREAT - like I needed to feel it any closer to my armpit??!?!  These already feel awkward and uncomfortable enough.... let's just have one out of position to make it more fun.

The nurse did say if my drains got below 20cc for two straight days that we could pull them ourselves. I asked Hubby if he'd do that and he said sure. So maybe I won't have to stand these things another whole week. They're around 25-35cc per day now.

Hope everyone is doing well!

• pinktiara
    pinktiara Member Posts: 716
    edited January 2014
    Options

Well,

tomorrow is the day....at the last minute today I was called into the hospital for pre-op tests. sheesh really?

however...I did have a lot of questions answered...so it was a good thing.

Have to take a special shower tonight and then again in the morning...super duper ober dabber disinfectiant stuff...lol I will be sooo squeaky clean.

My BFF brought me 3 pairs of super soft yummy jammies ....made me cry.

Everyone is checking in and is holding me close.

who knew I was so loved.

peace to all...

I WILL be cancer free tomorrow!

Talk to you on the other side.

thank you all

love,

Eve

• lighthouselady
    edited January 2014
    Options

Eve - {{Hugs}} and prayers for your surgery tomorrow.  Hallelujah to no more cancer!!  

I've never been much of a pajama person (usually sleep in comfy pants and a t-shirt) but I have to say I love my button-down pj sets that I bought for surgery.  SO comfy.  That's so sweet of your friend.

• Mommyathome
    Mommyathome Member Posts: 876
    edited January 2014
    Options

My doctor is using lma which is different than inserting a tube down...

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 126
    edited January 2014
    Options

hello all. Was doing really well after one day discharge and then began bleeding a lot. Doc checked at their urgent care and said just need to be packed better. Small hematoma. Your fine. So other than now being sire when was previously fine I'm doing really well. Thanks for your posts of encouragement. V

• bc101
    bc101 Member Posts: 923
    edited April 2014
    Options

I'm 4 days post op from my BMX. Still having some pain, but keeping it down to a manageable level with pain meds. Yesterday was pretty rough - had some major nausea and vomiting....couldn't hold anything down...pills or water. Finally figured out how to balance the pain pills intake with food, then spent all day trying to get over the constipation hump! Also have a slight rash that started on my shoulders and collarbone. I think it's a sensitivity to soaps and surgical glue used during surgery. Worst of all are these TE's! What a pain! Does it get better? It feels like I'm carrying around two pillows that are sewed very tightly onto my chest. Ouch!

Good news is that I'm cancer free and no more lymph nodes are involved (beyond the one sentinel found during my lumpectomy). So, if that's true, why don't I feel better?

• lighthouselady
    edited January 2014
    Options

bc101 - Woohooo for no more cancer!!! I hear you on the TEs. I don't know if they get better or worse once they start getting filled. One of mine shifted, too, so it's not in the right place which makes things even more fun. Ugh. Sorry about the nausea. Definitely take all meds with food!

• ClaireFraser
    ClaireFraser Member Posts: 47
    edited January 2014
    Options

I have been feeling under the weather the last couple of days... tired and achy (had the flu shot).  I am taking Emergen-C and Tylenol, hoping whatever it is goes away.  My surgery is January 28 and I'm more anxious each day... wonder if my symptoms are stress related.  I had my pre-op physical yesterday, so not sure if the blood work will show anything.

• bc101
    bc101 Member Posts: 923
    edited April 2014
    Options

Claire,

Stress can do a lot of things to your mind and body. I was feeling extremely tired and dragged out before my surgery, but made it okay without getting sick. I've found that meditation and relaxing music is always good to calm the nerves. Good luck!

• BigDBeatingBigC
    BigDBeatingBigC Member Posts: 228
    edited January 2014
    Options

Saying hello to everyone.  Had something strange happen to me last night.  I was planning on going to work today, feeling good, and when I was walking from my kitchen to my living room last night, my legs suddenly turned to jelly and I fell hard.  Other than bruising my leg, I am okay but scared half to death.  It took me a few minutes to be able to stand up again and this is not the first time this happened to me.  This happened 3 months ago, and I let it go, just thinking it was a fluke.  I called my internist this morning but he and his nurse were out for the day, so I have to wait until Monday to see him.  I am on Crestor and read it can cause muscle weakness so I am stopping that right now, although it could be a number of things, but it prevented me from going back to work today and I won't go in on Monday either.  I sure hope it is not something super serious, you know how the mind works when you are frightened, but losing control of my legs like that would be terrible if it happened in public.

Monaton, thinking of you, hope the surgery went well -- glad you are on the other side now!!

HVV and bc101 thinking and praying for you as well.

Hope you feel better soon, Claire, and I agree that stress can do strange things indeed!  I have started listening to meditation/healing music, found a bunch on YouTube and it does help to calm me down.

Have a good weekend everyone.

• Jackiegray
    Jackiegray Member Posts: 56
    edited January 2014
    Options

Good Morning

I had my drains out on Monday. I woke up today (5 days later) with some fluid build up under my right arm. Anyone else experience this? should I call the PS? Its not that visible to the eye but I can feel a difference

• Dancermom1999
    Dancermom1999 Member Posts: 62
    edited January 2014
    Options

Jackiegray:

I would call.  When I went to the PS on Monday I was hoping to get my drains out - instead I was "scolded" for using my arms to much - I was still draining a lot.  When I spoke with my nurse navigator on something else, I told her how disappointed I was and the drains were so annoying.  SHe told me not to be in such a rush because a lot of times they come out to early and then fluid builds up and it has to be aspirated. 

Other thank that, how are you doing?  I am feeling great and hope to get drains out on Monday morning and go back to work part time next week.  All the best...Kathy

• Jackiegray
    Jackiegray Member Posts: 56
    edited January 2014
    Options

hi Kathy

I am sorry you still have the drains in. They were my biggest complaint! 

Thank you for the quick reply. I hate calling doctors on the weekend. I know it will be a resident or an intern who returns the call...

I am doing fantastic. I went to the library yesterday and grocery shopping with my youngest son. The day before I cleaned like a crazy person. Given part of your response I'm thinking "I used my arms" far to much the last 2 days. However I seen the PS on Thursday and he said do whatever you want unless it hurts. Listen to your body. 

I hope you are able to go back to work as planned. Normalcy is so up lifting. 

Jackie :) 

• lighthouselady
    edited January 2014
    Options

I still have 2/4 drains. I was hoping to get them out Thursday but she said I wasn't ready. She said it's better to leave them in a little longer than take them out too soon.

What has everyone been told as far as driving?

My SO told me she didn't want me driving until my drains were out. Really????? I still don't have a lot of mobility on the left side where they took lymph nodes, but I think I could manage to drive just fine.

• aviva5675
    edited January 2014
    Options

I drove with a drain, that was fine. Just tried too soon, I think at about 10 days. The next week it was better, but I wouldnt do any long drives for awhile. I think I drove to work 40 minutes after 6 weeks, and that was the farthest Id gone.

• Doughboy
    Doughboy Member Posts: 27
    edited January 2014
    Options

I made it through surgery!  Out of 28 lymph nodes taken only one was involved.  I have my TE and he has it filled with 360 and it will hold 600.  I am still taking my pain meds as I don't want to start hurting.  I am feeling a very strange sensation of something poking me like a needle.  I reach down to feel if it is okay, but it is numb and there is nothing sticking me.  This is about to drive me nuts.  I am so happy that everybody else is doing so great.  sending gentle hugs and great thoughts and prayers to those that have had and are getting ready to start this surgical journey.

• Char66
    Char66 Member Posts: 35
    edited January 2014
    Options

Just chiming in-PS said no moving arms above shoulder height nor back of midline of body. I had BMX with implants. He said due to all the stitching, alloderm, etc, would be more at least 3-4 wks before any exercising of arms. Had SX on Jan 3rd, drains out at 10 days , have some swelling under rt arm and outer rt breast-not so much in morning but by evening it is uncomfortable. He said to expect the swelling for some time yet. Have area under lt breast following the incision and out about 1/2 in that is very dark in color, almost black that they are watching every 3-4 days. Energy level is really low yet, tire quickly. But discomfort is improving so much. Thanks for DH for pitching in w everything! Char

• girlstrong
    girlstrong Member Posts: 299
    edited January 2014
    Options

Doughboy: fantastic that your doing so well and now recovering at home. Wow! You got filled a lot.  Great that your able to do that. The best news is hat only I be node us involved !!!!!!! ThumbsUp  Gentle hugs for a good recovery!!!!

• Mommyathome
    Mommyathome Member Posts: 876
    edited January 2014
    Options

I am having my BMx on January 29. I go to my Pre op appt with the plastic surgeon on the 28. I have some questions ready to ask but wonder what you felt were the "have to ask" questions before the surgery that helped you feel more informed and "ready" for the surgery

• lindacam
    lindacam Member Posts: 97
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hi Char.  So you had one step reconstruction?  Did you keep your nipples?  What kind of implants?  I hope to do the same one step in Feb. I am in Canada where are you?

• aviva5675
    edited January 2014
    Options

Mommy- if you are having te put in be sure you are on the same page as to what kind and size- it leads to what size of implant will be there later. Be sure to start some constipation avoidance a few days before the surgery! Ask if you can have an anti nausea patch for behind your ear- thats sort of something to be sure your anesthesiologist will do. Get pain prescriptions from him that day so they are filled and ready for you at home when you get home from hospital. Ask what his drain amounts are- how much fluid for how long before he will remove drain. What kind of garment will you be in? (zip cammi etc)...ummm....lets see....

• myers421
    myers421 Member Posts: 145
    edited January 2014
    Options

If anyone is like me "need to know" it help me tremendously when 3 days b4 my surgery I had a walk through literally walked thru every step of my surgery day. A nurse coordinator from the cancer center at the hospital I was at went around the hospital with me explaining every little thing that was going to happen the day of my surgery, showing me rooms etc..  Just a suggestion, it absolutely calmed my nerves, so much so the night b4 my bmx I slept like a baby = ) (without any drug assistance) Winking