Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2014 Surgery Sisters

Options

Comments

• mmtagirl
    mmtagirl Member Posts: 325
    edited December 2017
    Options

Eve, you look beautiful and I love the tiara! That Nate is a keeper. Rest well, and know that we are thinking of you. Xoxo

• bc101
    bc101 Member Posts: 923
    edited September 2016
    Options

Hey Eve!

You're looking like a princess! So sweet of Nate to buy that tiara! I hope he's taking good care of you and you're getting lots of rest. Sending gentle hugs and hoping for continued good reports. So glad it's not in the nodes - that is way awesome!!

Take care,

M

• pinktiara
    pinktiara Member Posts: 716
    edited September 2016
    Options

Just checked out that pic of me AND NO I don't look beautiful..lol But thanks for that anyway.

Doing ok. I thought I'd be super woman today and forego the pain killers. Ummmm, big mistake. I felt horrible all day. Finally broke down at 4pm and took one. Oh boy, I feel human again. I learned my lesson.

The drains are insanely painful this time. I have 4. 2 just under the skin and 2 under the pecs. Thankfully only 2 bulbs to empty. The fluid is diminishing pretty fast yay.

All is well.

Mary, I keep forgetting to ask you about going off the AI's. Are your aches and pains better?

A thunderstorm is rolling in so I'm going to sign off. The dog and cats all need to snuggle. Love it.

Love you all.

E

• bc101
    edited September 2016
    Options

Oh yes....I remember trying to do without pain meds after my exchange. UGH. There's no way to tough it out. You GOTTA take your meds. You know what they say - you'll heal faster if your pain is under control.

Drains. Yuck. I had 5 of them. As you can imagine during January it's pretty darn cold here and I remember being afraid to go out for fear all that yucky stuff would freeze, lol!

Glad to hear things are going well.

I didn't go off my AI. I would never do that. I'm in it for the long haul. I did try going off my statin but that didn't seem to help, so I'm back on it. I quit taking the Gabapentin because it didn't work for me. Funny thing is, my joint pain seems to have subsided a bit. I'm learning that with Fibro, this thing everyone refers to as "flares" - well, there's a ebb and flow to it. Trying to find what aggravates it and what seems to calm it down. Stress is a biggie. I listen to meditation videos every night and every morning and that seems to help. I've also recently been dabbling in Tai Chi, and that helps a lot, too.

Enough about me.

So....what is the plan? Are you expecting a pathology report or a scan to follow up? If so, hope you hear good news. Keep us posted, okay?

Be well,

M

• pinktiara
    edited September 2016
    Options

Hi all,

Mary, sorry I misunderstood about going off the AI's. Hope that everything you are doing helps ease the flare-ups from fibro. I'm thinking, now that I have a vehicle again, I'll look for a volunteer position. Either at the cancer center at my hospital, with my surgeon who has her own "Pink Army" or at the library. We'll see.

Feeling MUCH better. Not in pain anymore...yay... rough night the other night. Somehow one of the plugs on the drain bulb popped open....woke up being soaking wet in that stuff that is supposed to go into yhe drain...ewwwwweeee. Then I was sitting on the couch and while stripping the tube the plug came open and I spewed that stuff all over my couch...oh my! lol luckily I can take my couch covers off and throw them in the washer. So funny....gross but funny.

Anyhoooo Doing ok here. Looking in the mirror is, well, filled with mixed emotions. Nothing dramatic, just ok, this is weird but not so bad. It is really ok.

Fall is here so we are getting into temps in the mid 80s lol not quite sweater weather so I can hide my flatness but I can wear a tank top with a light flannel shirt...good to go.

Cant wait to get in my new Jeep and drive again. Life is good...great actually

Peace and love

E

• Mommyathome
    Mommyathome Member Posts: 876
    edited September 2016
    Options

you, my friend are an inspiration.

• bc101
    edited September 2016
    Options

So happy you're doing well! :)

Peace and love,

M

• pinktiara
    edited October 2016
    Options

hi all,

Hope everyone is well. I am ok. Got the official path report yesterday...yes cancer again. just that little left over place that had the nasty cells. everything is gone now so I am aok.

Still have the yukky drains...sigh. Normally I would be ready to get them out on Thursday...but BUT but we have a dang hurricane to deal with...soooo I have to wait until Monday... sheesh. Oh well. Stocked up on water and pet food///lol.. nate and I are preppers so we are prepared with all kinds of yummy food and multiple ways to cook it. Almost hoping for a mini power outage so I can have a filet mignon...heh!

We are thinking of going to a local music fest this weekend. Should be fun...I'm thinking I can put the drain bulbs into a bra and look like I have boobs. nate says they look like grenades...oh my.....I could get in trouble for that in this day and age...k, that is supposed to be funny.

Love you ladies...

E

• Mommyathome
    edited October 2016
    Options

be safe eve! Have you been affected by the hurricane?

• pinktiara
    edited October 2016
    Options

yup. House is ok. No power for 36 hours and still counting. We are at a music fest right now but I still have the drains in and am ready to go home. Don't have AC so it is pretty crappy there. At least the beer here at the fest is cold. And the pizza is hot.

Thanks for your FB post.

Love to all

E

• pinktiara
    edited October 2016
    Options

We just got home....and we have power...yay!!! cold AC and hot water....life is good

• Mommyathome
    edited October 2016
    Options

saw that Facebook post and immediately thought of u!

• pinktiara
    edited October 2016
    Options

So sorry I haven't replied...

I got the damn drains out on Monday. I admit I lied about the drainage amounts but it was so close and I couldn't STAND it another minute...All is well.

Of course because I wasn't hindered anymore I drove all over town getting my path report, OR report and my implants. That was Tuesday. Wednesday I shipped off the implants and hit the craft stores..I NEED a project. Took the dog to get a spa bath today soooo now I am pooped out....It's a good pooped out though..

Hubby just got home with my step son for a 4 day weekend....yay

Ill be back

Love to all

Feeling pretty good

Eve

• bc101
    edited October 2016
    Options

HI Eve,

Glad to hear you are safe and good things are happening, especially that the nasty cancer is gone! And no more drains! Onwards and upwards!

So you had to ship off your own implants? Where did you send them and will you get a refund? Just kidding. ;)

I know what you mean about needing a project. I always get the urge to crochet when the weather starts getting colder. I have a friend coming to visit with her 3 young boys around Christmastime, so I have something to look forward to. I have my sights set on crocheting some little hats or toys.

Well, I better get back to bed and try to fall back asleep.

Hugs!

~M

• pinktiara
    edited October 2016
    Options

Ok, so when I post from my phone my posts never show up??? Arrrrrg

Mary had to ship off implants to a doctor in Canada. I guess he is the premier identifier of implants for a law suit against Dow-corning. Mine as it turns out aren't part of the law suit so I guess I wont be buying my yacht. Oh well, I truly don't want any of the diseases that one would have to have in order to collect any money. So be it.

Went in for my post op check up. All is well. Just some fluid accumulation on the right side. I go back in two weeks and if the fluid is still there doc will aspirate it..Yay..another needle. No biggy.

Sleeping is still a pain. I am a right side sleeper and that is just not working out to well. I miss my bed, although the couch is a godsend.

I want to go to a rally tomorrow, not sure I can stand for 5 or 6 hours. We'll see. Still kinda wobbly and I don't like driving too far. Where's my mojo??? lol

I did find a project. It is a lovely shawl and it is working up rather quickly.

Oh! I don't mind being flat at all. It is rather comfortable. having said that I have a ton of T-shirts that I do feel uncomfortable wearing out in public. Soooooo I remembered that when I did have boobs I used to be very perplexed by the bras with iron cups. Akkk, who would wear THAT. I bought one the other day, just an A cup, and it works very well to give me little bumps without the expense of a prosthesis. $9 bucks, problem solved.

So no more posting with my phone. Tell the FB ladies hello for me.

How is John doing and your mom?

love

E

• mmtagirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

so happy the evil cancer is gone, Eve, and you are a Ok!

I got implants but they are waaaay smaller than I was before and I don't regret it. coobie or genie bras forever!

Hoping this is the end of the suffering for you and the rest of us.

Sorry, I am not on bco as much as before, still thinking about you all. Xoxo

• pinktiara
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hi Ann,

yup all is well! Glad to hear you are upbeat also.

The pain is all but gone, unless I do something stoooopid like wash my Jeep. Probably wasn't a great idea but she sure looks pretty..and it was great exercise for my pecs. So I killed two birds with one stone.

Hope this is the end of it!!!

how is your daughter doing in school?

love to you all

Eve

• bc101
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hello ladies,

Happy Pinkober? Actually I'll be glad to see all the pink go away and not have the constant reminder.October only makes me think about when I had to schedule out for my diagnostic mammogram due to all the women getting mammos for the month. Icky flashbacks - be gone!

I haven't seen mom in ages. Work has been busy and I sometimes use that as an excuse. But the reality is I'm having a really hard time seeing her decline. I struggle with that daily.

My mother-in-law passed away a few weeks ago. She had congestive heart failure and was beyond ready to go. Now she's free, so that's a good thing. Next thing is dealing with dividing up her things amongst all the siblings. That's going to be / is VERY stressful. <sigh>

Good news is that hubby's doing sooooo much better! I freaked out though when he came home last week with a fever and was sick. But it was just the flu and he recovered soon enough. Phew!

Eve, it sounds like you are finding all the positives, going with the flow and moving on down the road. You are truly an inspiration! I'm moving, too. Trying my best anyway.

Love,

M

• pinktiara
    edited October 2016
    Options

I'm with you Mary...HATE THE PINK!! After all the millions if not billons donated in the name of PINK could you find a cure already. Even more so I hate the groups that use the PINK to raise money but donate very little. That seems to have diminished this year.

I get it about your mom. Don't feel guilty. It IS difficult and an arduous process to watch someone become unrecognizable. It is ok to let go of the moment and just remember what was.

So happy that John is doing well.

Sorry about MIL...we are all facing our immortality. But if we face it, then all the rest of our days become a gift to cherish.

I hope next year I can go back to work...boy oh boy. That would be great. I think I will try volunteering at the cancer society first, just to dip my brain back into a routine.

All is well...still recovering...somewhat puzzled by the continuing pain. Nothing I cant handle but strange.

AND then there is dealing with my 13 yo stepson. So smart but so lazy, very hard to get him motivated when we don't have him all the time. Nate is very frustrated...and I hesitate to interfere too much....hmmmm 13/puberty...lol been there done that.....twice...

Y'all be good

peace

E

• bc101
    edited November 2016
    Options

Eve,

Thanks for acknowledging that about my mom. Miss her so much....

Sorry to hear you're still having pain. I always had a very hard time after all my surgeries. My body really reacts in a weird way. The pain signals get all ramped up and feels about 20 times worse than it should be. At least that's what the doctors tell me. So surgery for me is not a good thing. It messes with my central nervous system. I know that now, but I had no idea what was going on back when I had the BMX. They kept telling me it'll get better and that I should be feeling better every day, and that I really shouldn't have more pain pills. I almost didn't go through with the reconstruction. I couldn't stand to any kind of clothing against the area - it was just too painful. Pain became my constant companion for a long time. But yes, after several months it did get better. UGH. Then a year later everyone told me the recon would be SO much easier compared to the BMX. It wasn't. It was months before my pain went away after reconstruction and the pain was almost worse than the BMX. I still have pain almost everyday. It's not bad bad, but it sucks that it's a constant reminder. One MO suggested trying another type of implant, but I'm thinking it's my body, not the implant? I think it's an amazingly weird thing to have cadaver skin and a bunch of silicone in your body and then expect things will be normal. Anyway, I know I'm different from most women.

I hope your pain goes away soon. If not, be sure to tell your doc and don't just ignore it. I think that's the worst thing you can do.

Here is an interesting article I read today about "going flat." I'd love to see the video they talk about in the article!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/01/well/live/going-...

Take care,

M

P.S. I think going back to work was the best medicine ever - for me!

• pinktiara
    edited November 2016
    Options

That's interesting about the pain.It must be related to the fibromyalgia. Most of my pain is coming from the incisions where the drains were. I think that is from the fact that that area is tight and I use the muscles there more than where the incisions are across my chest. It hasn't been that long since the surgery so Ill give it some time.

I bet you are having some glorious weather. I always loved this time of year when I lived in Iowa. So refreshing. We have a "cold" front coming through on Friday night. it will be 78 degrees on Saturday....time to break out the sweater lol. Pretty clear blue skies though.

TTYL,

take care

Eve

• pinktiara
    edited November 2016
    Options

Merry Christmas all

signing off

wishing you good health and peace

Eve

• bc101
    edited November 2016
    Options

Hi Eve

Sorry - I deleted my post above because I hate leaving that up. I don't like reading it or seeing it. Wish I could just forget about it all, but it's a constant reminder.

I hope you're feeling better. Wish you peace, joy and no more cancer!

~M

• mmtagirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

hi friends. I don't know why but it has been tough to post. Maybe because my anniversary is coming up. My friend from my chemo thread, Coopdizzle, became an angel last week. She was 33 with two young children. We were friends on Facebook and she did a remarkable job in advocating for Death with Dignity. She was featured in Good housekeeping and Cosmo. I know it was coming but it still threw me for a loop. I hate cancer

Eve, I wish you a peaceful recovery from here on out. Mary, I hope John is fine. Wishing us all a new year of NOTHING. Xox

• girlstrong
    girlstrong Member Posts: 299
    edited December 2016
    Options

hi girls...haven't posted in a while but think if you all often. I've been reading your posts and can see that we share in similar struggles post "C". I'm so sorry for recurrences and loss of special friends...it's awful and saddens me. I'm doing well and continue to celebrate every day . Looking forward to 2017....makes me feel like I'm getting further away from my diagnosis. January marks the 3 year surgery anniversary for us all. Hugs to you special ladies...❤️

• Mommyathome
    edited December 2016
    Options

hugs, girl strong!!!

• Dtkd
    Dtkd Member Posts: 422
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi sisters. Things have been very rough here for the past 2 weeks. My stepdaughter's boyfriend was killed in a really horrible fire in Oakland in Dec 2, which was also my son's birthday. He and Jason were really close, and we all hoped against hope for 4 days until they confirmed that he was one of the victims. He was a wonderful young man and it was heartbreaking to watch his family and David go through this, and Davids sister was completely devastated. So much sadness.

Ann, no matter what, I think losing someone you know is going to hit you, especially when you have such a big heart. Hugs to you.

Eve, We'll have to chat again soon. I hope you have not been doing too much, and are healing well.

Marissa, it is so good to hear from you. You are right. Year 3 is something to celebrate. 💕

Wish me luck. I'm getting my tattoos done by a tattoo artist who is only 15 mins away next Thursday. With that final piece done, I am looking forward to celebrating

Missing you all,

Love,

Diane

• bc101
    edited December 2016
    Options

Diane, I am so so sorry - sending you and David a big long hug. What a difficult time this is for your family. I hope you can find comfort in being together. My deepest sympathies to your family. (And good luck on your tattoos - how exciting!!!)

BIG huge hugs to you, too, Ann. At this time of year I think of my dear friend who died over 20 years ago. Wish she were here to see her beautiful grandsons. Her daughter is so good about staying in touch with me, but it's hard because I have survivor's guilt that makes me feel that loss even more, especially when I look at their beautiful little selves - how much she is missing! And piled onto that - this time of year I always think of my dad and all my family who are gone now....it doesn't seem to get any easier through the years. A friend recently posted something that was just so poignant I have to share it with you...it's an article about and loss and grieving. May you find some comfort in it.

Good to hear from you, girlstrong! I hope you can celebrate the season with love and joy! We should all celebrate - we made it! 3 years is great! I look forward to celebrating many many more with you wonderful ladies!

Happy Holidays!

• Mommyathome
    edited December 2016
    Options

Diane,

There are no words.... hugs my friend

• Mommyathome
    edited December 2016
    Options

Diane,