Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2014 Surgery Sisters

Options

Comments

• Mommyathome
    Mommyathome Member Posts: 876
    edited November 2017
    Options

happy thanksgiving ladies! Sometimes with all the nonsense we deal with on a daily basis: work, cleaning, laundry, aches and pains it's hard to really see the positives and things that we should be thankful for. I'm thankful for my life, my health, my family, my friends, memories of loved ones that passed, my doctors and all of you.... my sisters!

• bc101
    bc101 Member Posts: 923
    edited November 2017
    Options

Anne - of course we remember you! Sorry to hear that you so much damage from the hurricane. What a mess, but as you said - there is a silver lining.

Eve - glad to hear you got your boobies and they're working out for you. I too would want to be able to fill out my clothes with some bumps. Mine feel like pillows on a good day, but on a bad day, it would be nice to take them off at the end of the day! SillyHeart

Hubby and I are staying home and relaxing today. I'm doing a little cooking - not everything from scratch - just my favorite dishes like the cranberries, sweet potatoes and green bean casserole. He never appreciates my creativity in the kitchen - strictly meat and potatoes kind of guy. Plus nowadays he's happy with very little food. So the pressure's off! We hope to get together with my "daughter" and her boys this weekend. They're in town and are squeezing us into their busy schedules. I'm just grateful that she still thinks of us!

This is going to be a tough year.....first holidays without mom, although they haven't been the same for many years. For the last few years we'd usually have holiday dinners at the facility and although I don't miss that, it's so hard to remember what it was like "before." I'm doing my best to be grateful for the good times we had and to appreciate those who are here now.

Hugs to all my sisters!!! Heart

~M

• pinktiara
    pinktiara Member Posts: 716
    edited November 2017
    Options

GRATEFUL is my key word to express everyday. I try to hold that in my heart at all times.

My life has held a lot of stressful times. Too many to list. I think I am most thankful that my sons came home safely from serving in Iraq and Afghanistan and they are doing so well now. Hubby is right up there also. Oh, my Kitchen Aid mixer and attachments and I love my Jeep..lol My beautiful flute. It is a fun process to think about the things that brings one a bit of pleasure in life. My pup and kitties...so sweet.

Yup, I like my foobs very much. Wore them out yesterday and boy did I feel good. Not at all self conscience.

Happy And yes it is nice to be flat and comfy at home. Best of both worlds.

If you all want a laugh watch this ad for dog food...very funny

hope the link works. oh yay! it worked....

I truly love all of you and am most grateful for each and everyone.

Blessings,

Eve

• Mommyathome
    edited December 2017
    Options

MERRY CHRISTMAS LADIES! VERY THANKFUL TO BE ABLE TO SPEND ANOTHER CHRISTMAS/NEW YEAR WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS!! THINKING OF YOU ALL AND HOPING THE NEW YEAR BRINGS PEACE LOVE HEALTH AND HAPPINESS!!

• mmtagirl
    mmtagirl Member Posts: 325
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hello to all and warm greetings. Think about you all often and wishing all of you a healthy and happy year ahead.

I also wanted you all to know that I deleted my former posts on this thread. It had absolutely no bearing on my fondness for all of you (which was further reinforced when I reread my posts this morning). It is just part of my healing process and a lingering fear of hackers from everything I have been reading about this past year. Hope you all understand.

Eve, so glad to read that you are doing well after the year you have had.

Peace to all

• Mommyathome
    edited December 2017
    Options

I just wanted to take a minute before the day and night get away from me to wish you all a happy and healthy new year!!! Love you ladies!!! Put those high heels and tiaras on, we made it to see another year!!

Beverly

• bc101
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hello ladies!

I can't believe it's been almost 4 years since I found our little group here! And hard to believe that I'll be 4 years cancer-free in just a few short weeks. But as a survivor, I don't like to focus on counting the years, instead, I aim to focus on each and every day and make the most of each one. We've all had our different struggles and ways of dealing with this disease. It's been a long hard ride, but I've made huge progress from where I was that first year that seems so long ago! It's been a pleasure to share that journey with all of you and I'll always be grateful for our friendship. If only we could all meet in person to celebrate 5 years! Wouldn't that be something?

Here's wishing all of my sisters the very best in the coming year!!!

Love,

~M

• pinktiara
    edited December 2017
    Options

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!!!!!

Wow! What a ride. 4 years, amazing.

Don't know what your check-up routines are like, I still see my surgeon every 3 months. Have 1 more visit and then I will be regulated to 2 times a year. Ha! Love that she is keeping a close eye on me. I always feel better leaving my exams with a clean bill of health.

Love my foob prosthesis. I don't wear them unless I'm going out but it's nice to have bumps again. I went through 6 bras before i found one that held them up properly. Otherwise I had granny boobs that hung down half way to my belly button..Ummm no way! lol

I think the best thing is I no longer feel defined as a cancer survivor. I'm just me again. So sweet. AND almost being grateful for the experience. I am a better informed and now know that I have to be an advocate for my own health management. I take everything as a HMMMMM moment, do my research and then ask lots of questions.

Away from cancer. Hubby and I are close to paying off all medical bills and being debt free. Wow! My kids, and the whole of my family are doing well. We are blessed. So much so we are already planning a vacation to Breckenridge Colorado next year....big time! Our favorite place ever..yes, it is a long way out, but planning anything was not in the cards for quite some time.

Giving the past the boot..OUTTA HERE!!!

Happy New Life!!! Isn't it Grand?

Tiaras Rule.

May God Bless all of you wonderful ladies. May you find peace and prosperity. love and joy. and health.

love you forever', I am blessed by your friendship.

Heart

Eve

• Mommyathome
    edited January 2018
    Options

hi ladies! I hope everyone is doing well! I'm taking another step on my recovery adventure.... I met with a tattoo artist to do a piece!!! I'm looking to get a tattoo on both breasts to "cover" my scars so when I look in the mirror they aren't all I see.

Quick question.. how do I set up a new thread? I want to touch base with others that have had tattoos after a mastectomy. I can't remember how to set one up.....

Thanks!

Beverly

• bc101
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi Beverly,

I just went to the Help link and found some info there (on the lefthand side under Search).

How do I start a new topic or add a post to an existing topic?

First, ensure you are logged in to the Community. Once you are logged in, you can start a new topic by navigating to an appropriate forum. For example, if you are concerned and have a question about breast cancer, you would navigate to the "Not Diagnosed but Worried" forum. Once there, click the "Start a new Topic" button to begin writing. When you are ready to post your new topic, click "Submit."To add a post to an existing topic, navigate to the topic to which you would like to add the post. Then, click one of the "Post a Reply" links. When you have finished writing your post, click "Submit."

Best of luck with your new adventure!

• Mommyathome
    edited May 2018
    Options

hi ladies! Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. Give a shout back so I know you are all good!!! Think of you often

• pinktiara
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hey kiddo,

Glad to hear from you. Not much going on in my neck of the woods. That's a good thing.

Planning a trip to Boston in the fall and then to Colorado to see my son after Christmas. We have a lovely cabin, can't wait for the snow. Plus I get to buy new clothes and already have my boots. i made a fabulous coat,love it.

Life is good.

You should be on summer vacay soon. have fun

peace,

Eve

• Mommyathome
    edited May 2018
    Options

eve,

Because of all of our snow days we don't get out until June 25!!! This is the latest I've ever gone! I'm going in tomorrow for another colonoscopy. Can't figure out what's going on! Last colonoscopy he found precancerous polyp. I have constant diarrhea and bleeding......

Always something I guess.... it was good to hear from you and I'm glad you're doing well!! Have fun on those trips

• Mommyathome
    edited May 2018
    Options

eve,

Because of all of our snow days we don't get out until June 25!!! This is the latest I've ever gone! I'm going in tomorrow for another colonoscopy. Can't figure out what's going on! Last colonoscopy he found precancerous polyp. I have constant diarrhea and bleeding......

Always something I guess.... it was good to hear from you and I'm glad you're doing well!! Have fun on those trips

• Mommyathome
    edited July 2018
    Options

hi everyone. Just checking in. Let me know how you’re doing.

• pinktiara
    edited August 2018
    Options

Hi kiddo,

Hope you are enjoying your summer vacation...almost over I would guess.

All is well down here in hot, rainy Florida.

• Mommyathome
    edited August 2018
    Options

hi eve! Gosh it's good to hear from you my friend! I just returned from Myrtle beach South Carolina after a trip with my 2 sisters and parents and my 3 girls. I'm doing good. I have a bone density scan first thing tomorrow morning- they are making sure my osteopenia hasn't turned into osteoporosis. Damn I'm too young for all these flipping issues lol!!!

Anyway, I go back to work on my birthday- August 29. I've been to school about a dozen times to set up and I was on an interview panel for two new k teachers. I'm getting a whole new team this year. Sad to see one of my partners go. She took a position in grade 3.

Well it was so good to hear back from you. I'm glad you're doing well, eve! 💚beverly

Btw did I tell you I started on my tattoo on my chest?!

• Mommyathome
    edited August 2018
    Options

well, update. I now have been diagnosed with osteoporosis. I’m recasted. I’m overwelmed. I’m only 45!!! Anyone else have osteoporosis? How are you treating/managing if?

• bc101
    edited August 2018
    Options

Hey Bev,

I have osteoporosis. I was postmenopausal when diagnosed and my mom had osteoporosis, so it was no surprise. I was treated with Zometa given intravenously during the first 3 years after surgery. At first, my bone tests improved, but then after I stopped the Zometa, it got worse. My docs recommended that I stop taking the AI's at 5 years, which I did a few months ago. Whoohooo! At the recommendation of an endocrinologist, I was prescribed Fosamax, but the dosing requirements didn't work out for me, so I asked to be put on Prolia. I just had my first shot a few weeks ago and that went okay. No side effects. So I'll be doing that every 6 months until who knows when.

No doubt your osteoporosis is from having your ovaries removed. Sounds like you're on Reclast? Medication is important, but remember to include lots of calcium in your diet and do regular exercise like walking to "pound your bones." Best of luck to you!

• Mommyathome
    edited August 2018
    Options

Mary,

I’m only on vitamin d and calcium right now. I go to dr on sept 13.

• bc101
    edited October 2018
    Options

Hey mommyathome...how did you appt go?

Anyone else here had their last MO visit before 'graduating'? I'm going in next week for mine. Also having a breast MRI due to pain in leftie. I'm sure it'll be okay because it's nothing new. But if this is my last chance so to speak, I'll have one more scan before hitting the road....Hard to believe it's been five years!

I stopped my daily Aromasin a few months ago due to the recommendation of my team. My BCI test showed I'm low risk at 1%. Still doesn't reassure me though!

Just wondering if anyone had been in for their last visit and how is everyone doing?

HUGS!

• pinktiara
    edited October 2018
    Options

Hi,

nice to hear from you. Congrats on being let loose. I cant believe its been almost 5 years too.

I have one more, every three months appointment in November, then every 6 months for 3 years. All is well, so I rarely think about it.

How is your hubby?

Hope everyone is well,

peace, Eve

• Mommyathome
    edited October 2018
    Options

hi Mary. Well they put me on fosamax once a week for osteoporosis. I go back to dr in 2 weeks to discuss the meds.

So... what happens after 5 years? I did t even think of “graduating”! I go every 6 months still to bs and ps.

• Mommyathome
    edited October 2018
    Options

Hi ladies, remind me again of the date of your diagnosis and mastectomy!

I was officially diagnosed dec 4 2013and had double mastectomy January 29 2014

• bc101
    edited November 2018
    Options

Hi,

I never did any follow ups with either my BS or PS after surgery. I've transitioned now to just seeing my PCP, which is kind of scary, but truthfully I won't miss my MO team. My concern is that my local doc doesn't know as much, but I've been going to her for awhile now and we have a good working relationship, so that helps!

Eve, good for you! Wish I could say I rarely think about it, but I have daily breast pain and LE acts up every now and then. I've setup some PT appts so hopefully that'll help. I think I'm just neurotic, lol!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Heart

• pinktiara
    edited November 2018
    Options

Hi Mary and Mommy,

It's always nice to hear from you.

Beverly you asked when we were first diagnosed. I surely remember October 31. And surgery was jan 13th or 17th. I have to look it up...Then I had another tumor pop up 1 year later and then 2 years ago another tumor and I went flat. I find it interesting that I can not recollect the exact dates...that is a good thing I think, it means those awful memories are fading.

mary, I too have pain still and itchy scars. Nothing too bad.I do have fake boobs to wear but the bra straps are very painfull under my arm on my chest...just a lot of muscle damage...so I just don't deal with it. I guess my lingering issue is being flat. Although my self image is getting better and I just go where I have to go and not trying to hide "The no boobs " thing.

I have seen my BS every three months for 5 years. She is gonna push it to every six months after this next visit in a couple of weeks. Verry bittersweet for me. Doc's staff and doc herself are family now. We have a blast when I visit. Not to mention the little bit of a boost every time I see her hearing that I'm ok...

We are going to Colorado in December/January so I'll be really happy to be bundled up in sweaters and coats.

My boys are doing very well. One is working on his masters degree, the other is about to graduate with a BS in biomedical science, then off to veterinarian school. My step-son is working towards his eagle scout and looking at The Air Force academy.  When the boys are good I'm good.

Having lovely weather here in Florida, life is good.

Be well all,

Eve

• Mommyathome
    edited November 2018
    Options

hi ladies. So I met with my plastic surgeon today for my 6 month appt. she said all looks great I don’t have to go back for 2 years. This comes with mixed emotion. Up until now I’ve been going to plastic surgeon and breast surgeon every 6 months.

I go to breast surgeon in December. I bet she says the same thing. Not sure I am comfortable with that. Thoughts?

On a side note, I’m hoping to finish my tattoo by February. Between time and money it’s taking longer than I planned.

Hope you are all doing GREAT!!!

• pinktiara
    edited November 2018
    Options

Hi Beverly,

I know how you feel. I have seen my BS every three months, for the past 5 years. Add a couple of surgeries mixed in there. Yesterday I graduated to a visit every 6 months...bittersweet but welcome news. I'm learning to take a deep breath and let the cancer life go...

Merry Christmas to you and anyone else reading here.

Peace,

Eve

• Mommyathome
    edited December 2018
    Options

• Mommyathome
    edited December 2018
    Options

MEERY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!!