Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2014 Surgery Sisters

Options

Comments

• mmtagirl
    mmtagirl Member Posts: 325
    edited December 2017
    Options

geez Louise I need to get out here more often!

Mary, I am loving your fb posts from your cabin. We could definitely hang together! I was in Minneapolis last weekend for a wedding. Had a wonderful time. Spent this weekend watching the rain and did NOTHING at our trailer on the lake Saturday. I read an entire book. First time since this all started. So decadent but I loved it.

My DD joined me in the evening and we watched crap tv since hubby went home with a cold. Hate to admit we watched " My American Gypsy Wedding" for hours. It's our thing. She left todsy back to school. I had a total of 5-7 nights with her this summer. Can't complain. She will be 21 next month and I am so proud of the woman I raised.

Eve, not going to touch the insurance thing mostly because I haven't researched it enough. Mostly I can tell you I have been pleSed with coverage but have NO CLUE what I would have paid if I did not have it. In any event, what I care more about is how you are doing. You may have said it in a former post but please make sure you understand what recon options will still be available to you if you choose later to do it. You are too young to be without some future option.

Whatever, we are with you, girlfriend! Glad you have a full arsenal of tiaras to take Advantsge of in he coming weeks. We are with you. Xoxo

• pinktiara
    pinktiara Member Posts: 716
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hey Ann,

Better late than never...lol

always look forward to hearing from you!!!

Isnt it fun to see your kids grow up to be really great people. Pat on back, mom. (me too)

As far as reconstruction I know of all the possibilities. We'll see. I'm going to give it some time. As far as being young to go without boobs, not so much. It is the process that I think is kinda arduous. Ive thought about the things I would be heartbroken if I lost them. #1 my sight #2 my hands. My boobs, meh.

Hope your hubby is on the mend.

Love to all of you.

E

Beverly, how is your mom doing? thinking of her.

• pinktiara
    edited August 2016
    Options

By the way...

I'll have more room in my underwear drawer....no more bras that I don't use anyway AND I am looking at some luscious camisoles. I'll also need some blouses that hide my flatness...ummmm some retail therapy is always good. I don't shop for clothes very often...mostly a t-shirt/jeans kinda gal. Buuuuut I may have to change my style. Some great earrings, wear make-up more often, new glasses...super feminine but fun with a smattering of outrageous. Yup! that's the ticket.

Looking at the brighter side of life.....ala Monty Python.

LOL my friends LOL

E

• bc101
    bc101 Member Posts: 923
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hi Ann! Always nice to hear from you. Surgery sisters - REUNITED!

Atta girl, Eve!

Beverly - how's your mom?

My PET scan is on Wednesday. Here we go again.....hang on to your tiaras ladies, it's going to be a bumpy ride!!!

• mmtagirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

ha ha Mary! Live it!

Eve, I have forgotten your date. Do you have one? As for lingerie, you might still like some prosthetic bras. My mom has a few. Helps with some clothes fittings....just sayin.....have to say, I myself love the freedom of not worrying as much about bras. Being so much smaller than what I was is the only half way positive thing since all this started. 6 month dr appt is Friday and for some reason this one is flipping me out for no reason more than previously.

Beverly? How is your mom? Ready for school to start back up?

• pinktiara
    edited August 2016
    Options

Good luck today, Mary. Wow, now that's some wicked tiara on the good witch. I just loved her but those flying monkeys scared me to death.

Ann, I get nervous about appoints too.. With good reason, I guess.

Winking

Let us know how things go! I'll be thinking about you, fer sure.

I confirmed my surgery appointment yesterday. I scheduled it for September 16. Unfortunately that is the only Friday hubby could get off. And he wouldn't let me do it with him not being there.

Apparently it is going to be almost like a mastectomy. Doc is also going to shoot me up with dye and grab some more lymph nodes, just to be sure. Just hoping that wont lead to lymphedema stuff. But small price to pay if it does.

SickTiredComplete with overnight stay and the dreaded DRAINS. Same recovery also, at least I know what to expect. Staying overnight isn't so bad. The nurses and staff at Florida Hospital pamper the heck out of you, it's like a spa. And they have the best food.

I went shopping today. I have borrowed my MIL'S car for awhile. There was nothing out there. No button up jammies...nothing. I did find at Amazon a beautiful nightie and robe. Very Victorian, 100%cotton complete with pin-tucks and lace and ribbon. So very feminine. I think I am going to get them. Should I add a tiara and some ballet shoe slippers? Heh! I'm leaving that hospital and cancer behind in style.

Please keep in touch

love to all

Eve

• pinktiara
    edited August 2016
    Options

Mary????

how did the PET scan go?

thinking of you,

Eve

• bc101
    edited August 2016
    Options

Eve, my scan was clear, so everything's fine - just as I thought.  It was really stressful, but I'm glad that I got it done. My doc who is new to me wants me to go off the Aromasin for a few weeks to see if that is what's causing my joint pain, but I'm too scared to do that. The main reason I had the scan is because she felt a lump on my neck. l think a lot of the symptoms that I'm feeling is from my fibromyalgia. Next week I'm going to a pain clinic and hoping to try acupuncture. I'm trying Gabapentin  but so far it's not working. Thanks for checking on me🙂!

• mmtagirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

Mary, have you tried Aromasin? I had terrible joint pain on tamoxifen and femara. Doing just fine with exemestane which is the generic version.

Eve, definitely go out of the hospital in style!

I am apparently not through menopause naturally yet at 54! Gat the word today to stay on lupron shots until the end of the year and they will retest. Otherwise, doing great!

TTYL- xoxo

• bc101
    edited August 2016
    Options

Yep, I've been on Aromasin for almost 3 years now. I think my joint pain might be due to statins or Fibromyalgia or other factors? I went off the statin almost week ago and I do feel a little better, but who knows.... Glad to hear you're doing great!

My PET scan was clear of any cancer, but it did show degenerative inflammation in my hips and other joints. I seem to remember my physical medicine doc said I had degenerative joint disease and osteoarthritis. So...I'm screwed! Seriously, though. I wake up in pain every morning and it's hard for me to bend or move much throughout the day. But I'm going to a pain clinic this Friday and am planning to try acupuncture and sign up for a Restorative Yoga class. Gotta keep moving - no matter what, right?

Eve, I've got your date in my calendar and am concentrating on positive energy for you! Heart

My hubby was going through old photos and videos the other day and found a video of me that he took right before my surgery. Like RIGHT BEFORE. I was all prepped in my lovely standard blue gown and hopped into bed. I don't know which surgery it was though. I had 5, so....it could have been any one of them!

Here's hoping that it's the last one for you!!

• Dtkd
    Dtkd Member Posts: 422
    edited August 2016
    Options

Mary and Ann,

Great news that you are both okay. I go to see my BS for my annual in a few weeks. Feeling okay about it though.

Mary, the joint pain is really awful. I had it with the AIs too, but thankfully, no actual damage since I stopped taking them. I wish you had better options. Hugs my friend.

Eve, You know I love you, and will send you every bit of positive energy I have. Surgery sucks, but you are doing the right thing.

As for me, I'm doing better. Working with my doctor, I've managed to take off almost 30 lbs. I do have 30 more to go, but now feel like I can do it. Going to Taekwondo class just one day a week and trying not to do too much. If I've been absent here, it is because I was on a bad place for awhile. Things are so much better. I found an old pick too Mary. Me before BC. Working my way back to the happy fit person I used to be.

Love you all!

Diane

• pinktiara
    edited September 2016
    Options

love the pic Diane....

here's one of me pre-cancer

that is Nate up front, Daniel and me. One of the best times ever! Don't know if you can tell but I was holding on to Daniel so we wouldn't lose him. AWESOME stuff.

• pinktiara
    edited September 2016
    Options

thanks for the "love" ladies...right back atcha .

So happy everyone is well and working out solutions to aches and pains.

Ann??? why the Lupron? just curious. How does it figure into the cancer realm? so sorry about the menopause stuff...hopefully you'll be over it soon.

Mary, wow the pain thing is awful...me too. It is constant...but I think as the day goes on it gets better. Old crunchy bones...lol oh well...

Ordered my beautiful nightgown and robe today. Leaving the hospital in style. We are planning to go out on Sunday and buy a barely used Jeep patriot4X4 ummm we'll see. We have a tropical storm headed our way. Even though we are on the edge of it, that is where the tornadoes are spawned......yikes.

Y'all take care

love

Eve

• bc101
    edited September 2016
    Options

Love the pics, ladies!!! Awesome to see you in action, Eve! Looks like a blast!

Diane - you go girl! Losing weight is a really tough thing to do. I've never had the discipline to drop any weight, but my docs want me to lose about 10-15 lbs.

About the joint pain - sounds like we all have had it at one time or another. I think it's normal to go through that post menopausal-ly. Hmmm, I just made up a word. Meanwhile....I've got really good intentions to buckle down and join the Y again this fall to use the pool and do some resistance exercise! Who knows, I might even lose some weight.

Eve, your gown sounds loverly. They would never let me wear anything like that in all the hospitals I've been in. Florida must be the place to hang with groovy threads during  your surgical stay! ;)

• pinktiara
    edited September 2016
    Options

About losing weight....yah whatever...if you feel good and are a bit active I wouldn't worry about it too much. We have been through so much. A little extra weight...oh well. you all are AWESOME as you are, period.

Love love love the "loverly" reference "My Fair lady" is a special memory from my childhood. I had the "45" record of "Get me to the church on Time" Used to sing it all the time...thanks Mary for the blast from the past.

As far as my beeeeutiful nightgown...It is my outfit to wear as I am leaving the hospital. I still have to wear the hospital gown while I am in there. Although I do remember wearing sweat pants and a big t-shirt when I had a nasty ectopic pregnancy years ago. heh. I was in the hospital for several days and just wanted to be comfortable.

The gown stuff is a refusal on my part to give up my femininity because I am losing my boobs. Maybe I'll let hubby take a pic...

I do so appreciate you ladies

• Dtkd
    edited September 2016
    Options

Eve, that is a fantastic picture!! The fun is all over your faces. Love it!

Mary, 10 pounds isn't much, Eve is right. If you feel good, I say enjoy your life. In my case it was 60 lbs, and I felt horrible. I'm halfway there thanks to me Doctor and a little pocket of tenacity that I managed to find. It was really hard to give up wine, but I know it will be worth it. My energy is much better.

Eve rock that nightgown! It sounds beautiful

• bc101
    edited September 2016
    Options

I'd actually love to lose some pounds. I feel uncomfortable where I'm at right now. I just need to get off my butt and exercise. Easier said than done. My hubby on the other hand is very thin and keeps dropping, but he has the opposite problem. He's going to a cancer rehab clinic so hopefully they'll be able to help him work through all this. Ugh.

Here's a thought....

Problem is...I haven't run into any cute doctors all this time. Oh well...guess I'll be eating lots of fruits - and veggies.

Eve, it'll be a great feeling slipping into your white gown. I love that feeling of wearing brand new jammies or nightgowns for the first time. Like having a fresh start to a new life!

• pinktiara
    edited September 2016
    Options

HA ha lol Mary.

I love the graphic. I usually check my emails on my cell and don't get the pics. Love it! I can relate to the cute docs. When I was pregnant I had the MOST insanely sexy ob/gyn . He was super Italian. sigh. What a heartbreaker. Same with the boy's pediatrician...sigh. New Jersey Italians. ok I'll stop..lol

Have had a ton of rain and tornado warnings last night and today from the hurricane. While we didn't get hit directly, when you get the outer bands of a storm you get the super unstable weather. No biggie..appears we will be done with it by tomorrow.

I showed nate the night gown and robe I ordered. His first reaction was to say "I think you need a tiara to go with that" !!!!!! I cried, my hubby "gets" me. How sweet. We'll see what he shows up with on discharge day.

Grinning from ear to ear.

love

Eve

• Dtkd
    edited September 2016
    Options

Love it Mary,! I hear you. Although my docs are all nice, my PCP, BS and MO are all women, and that just isn't my thing.

I hope the rehab helps John. It has to be very tough.

Eve, I hope some day I meet someone who gets me the way Nate gets you. You should get him to take a pic and pm it to us if you don't want to post it. 😀

Thinking of you all and wishing you a relaxing Labor Day weekend

Love and hugs,

Diane

• Mommyathome
    Mommyathome Member Posts: 876
    edited September 2016
    Options

omg hi ladies!!!!! Sorry I've been MIA for so long my life is been crazy! Went to Myrtle Beach with my four kids first day I was there got on the beach somebody stole my bag had my cell phone my daughter cell phone and of course my car keys in it so I'm down in South Carolina with no car had to get my car towed luckily they didn't steal it got it towed to the car dealer had to pay $270 for a new key and then finally we were able to enjoy the rest of our time at Myrtle Beach. My mom is doing good since her surgery she had a lump ectomy and a reduction. She goes on Tuesday to talk to the oncologist to see if she needs radiation and chemo Eve I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through this you are so strong seen your post looking back at all the post just seeing how strong you are through everything knowing that you're not alone your families there we are here and I'm sure everything is going to be just great I'll be thinking about you I believe you mentioned on 16 September a coworker in the town that I work in called me on Tuesday and told me she was just diagnosed with cancer and asked me to go to A breast surgeon appointment with her because she doesn't know what to do this came as a shock she went for a mammogram in February and then just now found a lump in her breast one for a follow up with the radiologist they did ultrasound and the radiologist without getting pathology told her looking at the ultrasound she definitely has cancer needs surgery she'll need chemotherapy and radiation and she said he must've said I'm sorry 20 times in sorry, she thought she was going to die but sitting down with the breast surgeon helped her feel much better put a plan together and unfortunately she does need surgery she just has to figure out what her plan is when she gets more information right now she's grade 2 assuming stage two but she'll know more once she has the surgery. Miss you ladies I haven't been on here since my phone was stolen back in the beginning of August now I have one so I'll be checking back in more hope everyone is well, again eve good luck Mary Anne Diane and I am thinking about you all

• pinktiara
    edited September 2016
    Options

Nice to "see" you Beverly. Glad your vacation ended up ok. It's insane how much car keys cost nowadays. Keep us informed about your mom, and your friend.sending powerful good thoughts their way. The US tech could tell I had cancer too.way back in the beginning. Still had to have the MRI and biopsy that came back inconclusive. Your a good friend.

We bought the Jeep. I love it! So much fun to drive. And I received my nightie. I'm going to feel so pretty. I've also been buying (used) snow jackets and boots for our foray into the mountains of NC after Christmas. I was able to find a pair of brand new boots for me for $35. HA! They were a closeout and had been $200. I just love a good deal. Similar deals for nate and step son Daniel. We are outfitted for the winter. Good retail therapy.

Sooooo I had my pre-op EKG (fine) and blood tests (weird levels). High wbc, rbc, hemocrit and hemoglobin. ??? I am thinking I have a kidney infection?? other levels were off also. Chloride especially. So I am going to ask my surgeon to order a test for para thyroid and an ANA which can diagnose lupus ( my dad had it).. As long as I am in the hospital I might as well find out.

Ok. I am going to say this ONCE. I don't want to go through with this going flat business. I really don't. In 2 1/2 days I will be under the knife and part of my identity will be gone. You all know how hard I fought to keep my implants and nips. Now everything will be gone. (yes, this is my little pity party). While I accept that this is the right thing to do AND I WILL prevail. IT IS STILL VERY DIFFICULT for me. I am ALWAYS strong and pragmatic. But I am not a happy camper right now. This time, that first "look" after....oh boy. yes!!! better than cancer coming back but, CRAP! this is suck'in. I'll be shedding some tears for the next couple of days. But I promise I'll carry on as my own stalwart self.

K done with that.

Hold me steady in your hearts, ladies. As I always hold your hearts in mine

Love

E

• bc101
    edited September 2016
    Options

Beverly, glad to hear that things went well for your mom. I wish her the best of luck. That's all that it seems to come down to sometimes.

Eve, my dear....I'm sure you must be feeling a million things right now with your surgery being only a few days away. I don't blame you for feeling so blue about losing your implants. I know I would feel the same way. I would be crying for sure. If only there was some way you could get them replaced - especially with being defective? Maybe there is the possibility of having something done down the road....

This whole breast thing takes me back. When I was talking it over with my BS before my 3rd surgery, my hubby said that I was vain and I almost slapped him, lol! Silly man! You are sooo lucky to have Nate. He gets you and that's awesome. He will help you through this. We will too! Come what may. Eat well, get some rest and polish up that tiara!

Sisters Forever!

M

• pinktiara
    edited September 2016
    Options

SillyHeart

Nate just got home with RED ROSES!!!!!!!

Oh my. He does get me!! Just want to give my hubs a shout out for being the BEST!!!

he said he wished the flowers were better (picked them up from the grocery store) ha! they are the most beautiful roses I've ever seen...sigh...my heart is going pitter patter.

Yes, dear Mary I can always get new foobies.......but that will take at least 2 more surgeries somewhere down the road. yes, I mourn the loss of my girls and that is what I am doing today. In reality unless I am really unable to accept being flat....I cant imagine going through more surgery just to have foobs..... but, I will have the option of implants again.

Thanks for letting me work through this. If I am able to speak OUTLOUD about what I am feeling I can work it out..

You all always let me do that.

I am grateful for your friendship.

love

E

• bc101
    edited September 2016
    Options

Awww....Sweeeeeet!

• pinktiara
    edited September 2016
    Options

SillyHeart Yup!

• Mommyathome
    edited September 2016
    Options

GREAT NEWS!!! my mom does NOT. Need chemo!! The plan is 6 weeks of radiation 5 days a week and tamoxifen. That's all on hold for a bit though because her incision opened a bit so she's on antibiotic and isn't cleared for radiation until they rule out infection.

So... Last Friday I was in my class and in the morning my legs wee sore. I said to my para that they felt weird. By 240 I couldn't walk. I was holding onto things to walk from point to point and had to slide my legs. My legs hurt so bad when I lifted them to walk. I had to leave school. My husband came and drove me home. I'm still having trouble. I went yesterday to dr and they did blood work and ordered an ultrasound to rule out clots etc and an Mri to rule out issues w my brain. Good times. Always flipping some things!

Enough about me eve you are in my thoughts and prayers. I know it's going to take time to get used to going flat. Know we are here for you! You are stronger than this disease you've shown that over and over. You got this!! We will all be wearing our tiaras in honor of you!!

• pinktiara
    edited September 2016
    Options

I replied on my phone...

its not here.?

Thanks Beverly. Yes wear your tiaras tomorrow! love it.

Nate is playing my favorite music..ha HA!!!!! I am dancing my way into surgery tomorrow....

peace and love ladies

E

• bc101
    edited September 2016
    Options

Beverly, oh my goodness! Good news and not so good news! Happy for your mom. I saw firsthand what chemo does to a person. It's truly nasty stuff, so that's great that shell be able to avoid it! I hope that your recent issues are not serious, but that doesn't sound good. Keep us posted as to how you're doing.

EVE, BEST OF LUCK TO YOU TOMORROW!!! I WILL BE THINKING OF YOU AND SENDING POSITIVE ENERGY AND HEALING THOUGHTS! AND I'LL BE DANCING FOR YOU, TOO!!!

Love,

Mary

• pinktiara
    edited September 2016
    Options

I'm home YAY!!!

I doing pretty well. My range of motion is much better than the BMX. Lots more drainage though. yuk and have to keep drains for at least 2 weeks. Yuk, again

I really don't look too bad. Not sad at all.

The lump was cancer but the lymph nodes are clear super yay.

For some reason I was extremely dehydrated so I have to watch that and my blood pressure dropped to very low levels so they kept my "captive" a bit longer. Its coming up now. Weird, I always have this problem with anesthesia.oh well.

Nate brought me a tiara...wow, it's beautiful.

K this is me looking pretty bad...but considering what ive been through..imageimage Im pretty tired so I'll post tomorrow

love and thank you for holding my hand..

E

• Mommyathome
    edited September 2016
    Options

you look beautiful!! Just like a princess. Get some rest and take care of yourself! Better yet, let Nate do that!!! ❤️👍🏼