Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2014 Surgery Sisters

Options

Comments

• Mommyathome
    Mommyathome Member Posts: 876
    edited July 2016
    Options

Eve,

Have they confirmed that this new lump is cancer? What a tough decision to make but yes after scare after scare it just may be time to say thanks for nursing my kids now off with ya! It is such a heart wrenching disease that has no boundaries. If you are "unlucky" enough to get it once once it's gone it shouldn't be able to return!

It's been a difficult summer to say the least! I lost an u clue in June to prostate cancer, a cousin at 43 a few weeks ago from bc, my mom was diagnosed for the second time last week and Wednesday my uncle/godfather passed. His kids lost their mom from bc about 6 years ago.

I'm trying to get in my classroom to get it set up so my family and u can go to myrtle beach aug 5-13 and then come back to help mom with her surgery and treatments before school starts back up.

Life and death is so mysterious, scary and seems to hover. I don't know if that makes sense or not I. Just can't believe the family members that I've lost are gone and now my mom is threatened with this damn beast again

• bc101
    bc101 Member Posts: 923
    edited July 2016
    Options

Hi Diane! Gosh, I wish we could all get together for coffee. Wouldn't that be fun!

I agree. You do need a good surgeon. That and a sweet angel looking over you. The thing is....they can get all the breast tissue, but then it can go just about anywhere. With my type of cancer I'm told it usually goes to the bones if it's going to recur. Best not to think on it. Just live life and try to enjoy each moment we can.

I have a friend who's a 20+ year survivor - so nice to have those people in our lives to give us all hope! Hubby's aunt had bc in her 60's, I think, and she is still alive at 101. I try to keep thinking about that. Not sure I'd want to live that long, though!

Eve, my hubby is the same way. He could care less - boobies, foobies, stick-ons nips, tattoos, whateve .... he's always been a leg man, lol!

Hugs to all!

• anneb1149
    anneb1149 Member Posts: 821
    edited July 2016
    Options

Morning all,

Eve- I knew from the moment I was diagnosed that I would have a double mastectomy with no recon. I never once reconsidered. I look different, but have adjusted to that. To be honest, the only time I have had a problem with my decision was when trying to find a dress for my son's wedding in June. Most of the dresses I found showed my bra, either the straps or the very top. I am very conservative in my wardrobe but still could not find one that would work. I finally chose one and had a friend adjust the straps.

It's funny, but if I miss anything at all, it would be my nipples. It's kind of strange not having any. Not strange enough to consider tattooing some on, but strange. I have several sets of "foobs" but they are all the same size. One set is for bathing suits- have no idea what the difference is, but that's what they told me. I wear the foobs daily, but if for some reason I shower early and am not leaving the house, I don't put them on. My children and grandchildren don't seem to notice. And it is noticeable. But they don't care.

I know that even if my husband had been alive, I would have made the same decision. I wanted to lower the risk of recurrence as low as possible. I told my breast surgeon that I wanted a DMX with no recon the first time I met him. He said we weren't anywhere close to making the decision on recon, and in fact, said he would not even discuss it until one year post surgery. But my decision never wavered once. and have never once regretted that decision. Even when trying to find a dress, I got frustrated, but not sorry I had chosen the path I did.

Every situation is different, and we each have to make the decision that works best for us. I think if I haD been younger, and maybe interested in dating after my husbands death, I might have given recon more thought. But being in my mid-60's and having zero interest in dating, I was sure this was right for me.

Beverly- continued prayers for you mom and hugs for you

Ann

• pinktiara
    pinktiara Member Posts: 716
    edited July 2016
    Options

LOVE and major HUGS to all of you!!!!!!!

I didn't want the weekend to go by without letting you know how much I value your support.

I don't know yet what is going on. I will make an appointment on Monday with my BS..I forgot that the office closes early this past Friday...

The lump, hard pea thing, feels exactly like all my other pea feeling thingies....My instinct, that has always been right with this cancer BS, is it is time to take the measures to get rid of this.

I think I am rather fortunate that the beast keeps coming back in a very small area...so time to eradicate it.

My Bs wants me to have my old implants out anyway and I really don't want the ensuing surgeries for reconstruction. I'll give it a year and see how I feel then....Life matters...boobs meh...not so much.

I am more comfortable with going flat than having chemo or rads.

Any how...I am truly grateful for you, my friends...thank you for having my back...

always in your debt and my heart is with everyone....

E

• bc101
    edited August 2016
    Options

Eve,

I've been on vacation, so haven't been able to respond....

I hope that you were able to get in and get what you need from your team. It's good that you're getting your implants removed and hopefully they will be able to provide more options for you. I've heard that Letrozole and Ibrance is a good combination for some types of breast cancer. But I don't know what you're dealing with, so I'm just throwing that out there. Please keep us posted!

Sending you positive energy and cyber hugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luv,

Mary

• pinktiara
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hi all,

Thanks for the hugs Mary. I have an MRI scheduled for the 13th and see my BS on the 17th.

Read up on ibrance and letrozole. They seem to be used with metastatic breast cancer. So far mine is a recurrence so a lot different, thanks goodness. I still shy away from the drugs and will, if I have to, get rid of as much left over tissue as possible. Time will tell.

How is John doing? Your mom?

Hope all is well with everyone.

love

Eve

• bc101
    edited August 2016
    Options

Yes, let's hope it stays that way! Good thoughts only....Medicating

We're both doing well - our vacation was well earned and well spent. We did absolutely nothing but whatever we wanted to do at the time. So - lots of swimming, thrifting, porch-sitting, and hanging around the campfire and shootin' the breeze with the in-laws from Texas. Highlight of the week: we were serenaded with guitar songs the brother-in-law debuted just for us. Perfecto!

~M

• Mommyathome
    Mommyathome Member Posts: 876
    edited August 2016
    Options

Eve,

Yes thinking good thoughts! My moms surgery is scheduled for the 17th... Hoping you both get good news!

My mom went for rotini ekg to get clearance for surgery and apparently there was a problem. Now she goes to cardiologist on Thursday... The day before we leave for myrtle beach! Let's just say she's not happy!! She's not overly concerned about more pissed than anything. Hoping for good results all around! Gentle hugs to you all!!

Oh btw, I got a call from principal yesterday. He asked me to apply for the kindergarten team leader position!!! It's an honor to be asked, as I have only been in this position going on three years this fall. My co worker throws it in my face any time she gets to let me know she's been there like 15 years! Well guess what?!?! He asked ME!!! 😜I know, I'm fresh!! If you worked with this woman you'd understand though

• mmtagirl
    mmtagirl Member Posts: 325
    edited December 2017
    Options

oh girls sorry I have been Mia for so long. Eve, so so so sorry to hear about your recurrance. Taking the implants out seems like a logical next step. Rads is really not so bad, especially if you aren't considering reconstruction. You are one strong mama and can handle whatever it takes to keep the beast from popping up again. In my prayers.

Mary, you look FABULOUS in your fb posts. Your vacation definitely agrees with you.

Beverly, good luck to your mom.

Oops, I am out juice and gottA close. Xoxo

• bc101
    edited August 2016
    Options

Well girls....I'm adding stuff to our calendar. Last week I had a visit with a new MO and she said I should have a PET scan. After she heard about my symptoms and all my misc. dr. visits over the past several months - and my recent dx of Fibromyalgia, she said, "Well, we need to find out if you have cancer first." I had reported all this to my team before, but felt they didn't really listen to me. I've been to so many providers this year it's just crazy. My scan is on Friday.

Beverly, I'm wishing the best of all possible outcomes for your mom. Being mad is better than being scared, lol!

Eve, hope you're hanging in there okay. That is a long time to wait! Stay strong, sister!

HUGS to all those who need it the most!!!

• pinktiara
    edited August 2016
    Options

my third time trying to post...pftttt

You know Mary, I agree with having the PET scan I will ask my doc on Wednesday about having one. I want to KNOW if anything else is going on. Kinda...lol I just don't want to go into the doughnut machine. Just scares me to death....so not a warrior more of a wussie. Would you let me know what to expect? More importantly, I'am thinking about you and hoping for the most perfect outcome.

Ann, thanks for the encouragement. I'll try to live up to everyone's strength...that is sent my way.

I am hoping this new lump is just scar tissue...we'll see. I'll attack it though...."fist bump"

I am actually looking forward to getting the implants explanted. They are increasingly feeling alien to my body. Painful and just weird. Strange, never felt odd before but it is time...not looking forward to being flat but I can handle it.

thinking of your mom ,Beverly.....good on ya for getting team leader...being "fresh" is a good thing..bravo!!!

I tried to post a pic in my previous lost posts so i'll do that next.

hang in there ladies...

love and hugs to all

Eve

• pinktiara
    edited August 2016
    Options

My new addition to the family. Had to rescue this little guy from the crappy kids in the neighborhood. They, specifically one brat had tied a rope around his neck and was pulling him around like a rag doll. I worry about that kid....scary, at 7 years old and no regard for animals. 'Course her mom is a complete dufus sooooo

any how, "Felix" is a cool 4 month baby....lots of fun. That's my other kitty, Rhiannon...as in the story about a princess NOT the singer...He is rescue also...thought he was a girl when he showed up on our porch...who knew...lol

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hello, I am a student who goes to Bryant University. I have been working all summer on a breast cancer research project in order to figure out how women are informed on their options and what factors influence their decision on surgery. I have constructed a nine question survey in order to either prove or disprove my research. I am really dedicated to my research as I have a close friend who's mom just beat cancer about two months ago. Any feedback would be wonderful, and thank you so much for considering. I wish you all luck in your journey :)

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/2929172/Breast-Surgery-Research

• bc101
    edited August 2016
    Options

Awww sweeeeet! Love the name Felix. Is he named after the cartoon character? As in...Felix the cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat. I don't remember the rest, lol! Love your toenail polish, too! :)

I'll be sure to let you know about the PET scan. But from what I'm reading in the paperwork, it looks very similar to the MRI tube. The only difference is the fasting and diet restrictions. Just for good measure, I'm also having an MRI and yet another blood test. Plus I had another test scheduled several weeks ago on that day for genetic counseling. Phew!! It's going to be a very looooog day. I'm starting to get scared now. But the hubs is coming with me, so if it's bad news at least I'll be getting back in one piece. If I were there alone, not sure what I'd do. Jump off the nearest cliff?

POSITIVE THOUGHTS ONLY!!!

• pinktiara
    edited August 2016
    Options

imageMary

lol about Felix...here are the lyrics....yes that is my little Felix and also pretty apropos for us, I think.

He's a-maz-ing, he's re-mark-a-ble, He is fear-less, un-be-liev-a-ble. He is su-per doo-per and ex-trao-di-na-ry. He's the kind of guy that keeps you feel-ing mer-ry. Who? Fe-lix the cat__the won-der-ful, won-der-ful cat.___ When-ev-er he gets in a fix he reach-es in-to his bag of tricks. Fe-lix the cat___the won-der-ful, won-der-ful cat.____ You'll laff so much your sides will ache your heart will go pit - a- pat watch-ing Fe-lix the won-der-ful cat.

Sorry the pic is so BIG.....haven't figured out how to edit it for posting... Anyhow, it IS fun having a baby in the house. (ha! I figured out how to edit )

That polish is my go to when I need to be funky..I wore it to my DMX surgery.....got a huge laugh and high fives from the nurses and anesthesiologist.....It is glittery, just fun stuff for my conservative self.

I've done some research for the PET scan...looks like you gat a CAT scan along with it. The cost isn't too bad so I am thinking I'll ask for a full body one. The machine is shorter than an MRI so I think I can handle it with some valium.......woooooosey girl. I wish they would just zap me with some propanol and do everything all at once...CAT MRI colonoscopy PET...hmmmm anything else??

I am sure you had the sentinel node tracer thing done before your DMX... you can stick me with all the needles you've got but then having that plate 2 inches from my face for 10 minutes...ahhhhh not so much. Such a baby...oh well I'll get through it.

The things about Hubs....couldn't do this without my nate...He is my rock.

Please keep in touch...I just know we can handle whatever comes our way. There is no other choice, but to live with joy and purpose.....

Love you...

Eve

• pinktiara
    edited August 2016
    Options

That is my felix 24/7 Fun times

• bc101
    edited August 2016
    Options

LOL!!! Love it! Makes me happy reading those lyrics...so happy for you that you have your Felix! And happy for him - you'll take good care of him. I'm going to bed tonight with that song in my head and a smile on my face!

G'night!

Nerdy

• pinktiara
    edited August 2016
    Options

holding your hand tomorrow Mary....

I am scared too.

But if we ever want to approach that cliff...I am wearing a tiara and a fabulous evening gown....going out with style!!!!

Not ready yet by any means.....still strong!!! fighting all the way

love you lady

Eve

• pinktiara
    edited August 2016
    Options

For you MARY......reminds me of a hippie chick driving a VW convertible.

• pinktiara
    edited August 2016
    Options

For me 'cause I'm feeling like I need something outrageous and funky

• pinktiara
    edited August 2016
    Options

For everyone, because you all are sweet and have big hearts.

love you

• pinktiara
    edited August 2016
    Options

hey Beverly, how did your mom do today? Hope all is well.

Mary, how did your appointments go? thinking of you always.

After a STUPID fiasco with the imaging people...(MRI) I supposed to have on Saturday....they actually called me 1/2 hour before I was to leave to get the scan...they freaking cancelled it saying I needed a Mammo instead...looooong story and talking to stupid radiologists...I was told that they meaning all the radiologists in the group were to have a meeting on Monday to discuss my case. Remember these were the idiots that missed my last tumor in December....

Anyhow, I met with BS today #1 she is calling the imaging center and is going to ream them a new one

Happy

#2 yes I have another tumor in my nip...crap and there is so much scar tissue and lumpiness in my boob that she cant tell if I have more tumors or not PFFFFFT

#3 heh! Doesn't matter anyway because these boobs that are trying to kill me are coming OFF! Gone, done, adios, bye bye.

GOING FLAT

cant wait.

Doc said I WILL BE FREE!!!!!! Free of this cancer....oh boy, that alone is music to my ears.

Love you guys

E

• bc101
    edited August 2016
    Options

Eve,

Oh. My. GOD!!!! They wanted to do a mammo on someone who's had a BMX? Yeah, sounds like they all need a major training session. Let's hope they get it right this time. The meeting should go like this: "Listen up people! Eve is coming in and we don't wanna mess with her, so....let's just do it right, okay?

On #2, how do they know you have a tumor? Did you have a biopsy?

My MRI went off as planned and yay - the implant and the area is okay, which is great, but the PET has been delayed. The day before it was scheduled I thought to myself, hmmmm, I wonder if I need pre-authorization? So I called my ins. co. and they said yes, you do! Normally it takes 10 days but I asked that it be expedited. After numerous calls to my doc, the business office and the ins. co., I thought well...maybe it'll be done in time. So, I got off work, prepped for the exam, drove 3 hours, stayed overnight, got up early, had several needle pokes for the darn IV, but when I called my insurance co. they couldn't tell me if it had been approved or not. So I did the MRI, but cancelled the PET. When I called them on Monday they said it had been approved on Friday - no doubt right after I canceled and had the IV removed!! AARGGHH! Now I have to get off work, do the prep, drive 3 hours and get poked again. The last time I had a newbie nurse and she practically ruined my vein. It still hurts. Anyways, my PET is scheduled for Wednesday.

Gosh I hate to vent when you're facing this, but thanks for listening! Maybe reading this will take your mind off things for a little while. So, yeah.....I was a million different emotions last Friday, but mostly exhausted. Do they plan on doing a PET for you? Honestly, Eve, I would insist on one instead of an MRI. Those damn cancer cells can go anywhere they want to. I'm putting my positive pants on, though, and hoping for the best of all possible outcomes for you. It sounds like you have a great doc on your side, so that's half the battle.

HUGS TO YOU!!

P.S. Beverly, I hope all went well for your mom and she is recovering okay from her surgery!

HUGS TO YOU ALL! Hug

• pinktiara
    edited August 2016
    Options

Vent away my friend!!!

Sorry about the hassle with PET scan. Glad that your MRI was fine.

I will not be having another MRI on my boobs ever again. I wont need to after the implants and skin plus nips are gone.

I seem to be a special (basket) case when it comes to scans and ultra sounds and biopsies. From the beginning no radiologist (would) could give a diagnoses of cancer.. Not one. No one. It wasn't until I had the dmx and the path report came back that showed I had cancer. Lots of cancer.

2nd time around the MRI radiologist missed the tumor all together. This is the same guy that canceled my appointment on Saturday. Why? did I go back to the same place...well in my thinking I was hoping that because they missed the previous tumor they would honor my request and triple check. Not so much. They just bailed on me. Arrrrrgh.

You know, I actually broke down and cried yesterday when I was discussing my desire to flat with my BS. Sigh, it has been a very difficult decision. I LIKE my boobs and my nips. But they seem to want to kill me so they are going bye bye. I don't regret trying to save them...not one second. I don't regret not taking the hormonal drugs either. I could have had radiation this last time but the implants would have been compromised anyway and would have to come out. So why bother.

My BS is the best. She knows my boobs better than anyone and we laugh about the weird way in which I always seem to end up in the "I don't know" realm of mammos, scans and biopsies.

When she said that I'll be free of cancer yesterday that was enough for me to go forward. Free is a great word...FREE!!! By the way BS will shoot dye into me during surgery and grab some more lymph nodes as an added precaution.

I am upset that another $8000 is going toward this crap...AGAIN.. But at the same time I'll be done....that actually is cheaper than if we had insurance. just say'in.

So that is my vent. I think I'll need drains again yuk. Lots of rehab to my pectorals. No biggy.

mentally...yes I am sure I'll take a bit of a hit there....but I bounce back really well. Just have to get a bigger tiara.

thanks for listening

you all are the best!!

warrior on

E

• bc101
    edited August 2016
    Options

Darn it all. I just wish you were in a better place with coverage. I know...it's not up for discussion. But it's just so amazing to me that those radiologists missed your tumor. Even more amazing that your BS did surgery without a diagnosis the first time around. When you say they blew you off - are they refusing to do a scan or what is up with that? Can you go somewhere else? If I were you I'd find a good lawyer. It sounds like you have several avenues for a malpractice case(s). Sorry for being so blunt, but you know me. I say what I mean.

I don't suppose it would be possible to get a 2nd opinion?

You are not a basket case! I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this a 3rd time. Just so not fair! Sad

• pinktiara
    edited August 2016
    Options

Mary,

The first time around I had US, Mammo, MRI and a biopsy. Not ONE test came back with a definite diagnoses of cancer. However after the biopsy it was suggested that I have an excisional biopsy. That was for the biggest tumor. After talking it over with my BS, I decided to do the mastectomies. It was a gut feeling on MY part plus I couldn't see spending money on another biopsy when I KNEW it was cancer. As I have said before I ended up with 6 IDC tumors.

Round 2.....the tumor lit up like a Christmas tree...so very little doubt there, The problem was that the radiologist missed it. By the way here in Florida you don't have a cause to bring a suit if you haven't been harmed.I wasn't harmed because my BS read the MRI correctly and took the tumor out. I did call an attorney but was told I had no case.

This time, we know or highly suspect the lump is another recurrence. Because it is near the same spot as the other one. Just the left over tissue seems to be riddled with little cancer cells. Its just a no brainer. My implants are ruptured and need to come out anyway, I have been putting it off because I wasn't ready yet. I can have new ones put in sans the nips but my goal is to rid myself of as much skin as possible. So after all the crap over the last 2 1/2 years I am done. Also I don't need or want a second opinion because my BS is THE BEST.

As far as coverage...What would you do considering this scenario?

Round 2 surgery: consider it was done in late December, what would have been at the end of the policy period.

hospital bill for 5 hours- $16,250 my charge $ 4062

bs bill $ 4000 my charge $ 1200

anesthesiologist $1800 my charge $ 900

pathologist $600 my charge $300

total $22,650 $6462

insurance cost for 1 year....19,400 which includes a $10,000 deductible

so in effect by being self pay we saved $6188

none of this includes a co-pay so we are even farther ahead.

So yes a very crappy ins policy. But that is what is available to us. My BS does not take obamacare...we don't qualify anyway. Even if we did get obamacare it is even MORE expensive that what Nate's employer offers. So I hope you see the coverage dilemma.

I am just curious but does any here know what their hospitals or docs actually charge the insurance companies or what you would pay out of pocket for treatment if you were uninsured. man, I would love to know.

I don't mean to sound snarky about any of this. But I too am honest and upfront.

love

Eve

• bc101
    edited August 2016
    Options

I'm sorry...I didn't mean to hit a sore spot. I just worry about you.

For me, it's never been over and done with surgery. It's nice to be cancer-free, but I've had numerous trips to the clinic with misc. issues since and would shudder to think how much it would cost me without insurance. I don't know anything about self pay plans, obviously. I just know that we have been fortunate to have a good employer plan and without it and ESPECIALLY the generosity of donated time by co-workers, we would have been bankrupt long ago - especially with both of us having had cancer. Insurance has been on my mind a lot lately. I'm a little nervous about having to get my own insurance when the hubby retires next year. And yes, Obamacare is definitely not an "affordable" plan. Holy cow....what a mess that is!!! I'm a big worrywart these days about insurance. I don't dare go without and most of all, I need to have my clinic within network, so working is going to be in my future until I retire. Oh well.....

When is your surgery? I agree - getting the implants out is a good plan. I wish nothing but the best for you - always, no matter what!

Love,

M

• pinktiara
    edited August 2016
    Options

My dear Mary,

I guess you did hit a sore spot...lol. No worries, we're good

Heart

More to do with insurance than anything. We are on the same page with that!!!!

Hopefully obamacare will go by the wayside and a more competitive system will replace it. Fingers crossed.

Love a good challenge to my thinking....helps to clarify or debunk my thoughts. Don't like pandering but I will always tell you the truth as I know it.

How is John doing? your mom?

my love to you always

Eve

• pinktiara
    edited August 2016
    Options

oh!

don't know about surgery yet...will get a date next week. Kinda dicey with a date because hubby only can be there 2 days in September....I keep telling him my brother (gotta love him) will be there but hubby is super protective and will BE THERE damn it...his words...smile.

having a great sunday watching Turner Classic Movies....featuring Betty Davis....so much fun.

hang in there kid

love

E

• bc101
    edited August 2016
    Options

Okay. Let me know!

Bette Davis is the Queen! Love her..."Fasten your seat belts - it's going to be a bumpy night!" I think that was from All About Eve? Awesome flick!!!

Take Care,

M