Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

WOO HOO! Now a 12 year survivor of Stage 4 breast cancer!!!!

Comments

• denny123
    denny123 Member Posts: 1,536
    edited March 2014

Forgot to mention the bloody nose-anyone have that on Kadcyla?  Not a nose-bleed, but when I blow my nose-it is all blood-yuck.

• SyrMom
    SyrMom Member Posts: 575
    edited March 2014

Denny123 ... I get the nose blood thing on taxol, I'm on weekly taxol.  Hang in there.  You are such an inspiration to us all. 

• Woodylb
    Woodylb Member Posts: 935
    edited March 2014

thank you Denny for your response , unfortunately for me i do know that in general it is a better prognosis to have one site involved then many amongst them a vital organ. This coming scan will either confirm the bone involvement or refute it. My onc when he saw the liver involvement told me to ignore the bones for the time being his concern is to control the liver since it is directly connected to the ability of the cell to colinize through it. He said as for bones we have a lot of options. So i will know this soon enough. I will check the win diet , thank you for that i actually know about the fat but like you i never thought of good fats. Since i loove olive oil and our cooking contains a lot of it. 

Still you rockkk and you will keep rocking ... 

• Woodylb
    edited March 2014

Hi Denny, 

Hoe are you with kadcyla? And that you are not suffering from its SEs . I got my scan today i am responding well carbo+ gemzar treatment they are very happy, the largest tumor decreased  slightly and the small tumors less prominent . As for the bones which showed up on the scan well, maybe after all  the believe it may not be bine mts. Waiting to hear from you. Xxxxx

• denny123
    edited March 2014

Woody,

Glad that you are responding well to Carbo & Gemzar.  Hope you don't have bone mets, either!

This Kadcyla is hitting me harder than Gemzar did-The nausea and fatigue are worse.  Also have nose bleed, itchy watery eyes, some leg pains.

But none of it horrible.  Hanging in....

• Woodylb
    edited March 2014

Denny i am sorry for the SEs specially the nose bleed and the leg pain, but be careful with the nose bleed , because it means that you will bruise very easily and you could bleed without knowing. The most important thing is that Kadcyla succeeds for you. I know you will hang in there you did for 12 years , it is not going to stop you now. Be well and please keep me informed. I too hope it turns out negative towards bone mets :) they seem to lean towards this , let's wait and see. 

• Woodylb
    edited March 2014

Hi Denny just checking how you are doing and is the nose bleed still a problem? Hope you are well.

• denny123
    edited March 2014

Hi --LOL, I just answered another of your posts, and posted on another forum-getting mixed up here...

My platelets are fine, nose is a little better.  Most likely caused by dry heat with the furnace on....much like when I was on Taxotere.

Just got my second tx today and was surprised to see that my reds and whites are lower than they were last week.  My nurse told me that the Nadir is 2-3 weeks after tx.  

She said my onc wants weekly cbc's so I will be keeping better track of the counts that way.

So far so good as far as nausea.

How are you doing?

• Woodylb
    edited March 2014

hahahahy yes i post also on different favorite boards, if i can help why not? At lesst this way i feel i am doing some good lolll, and i like it. I am do glad but not surprised you are holding so well. You are stupendous and a great lady. I know you will beet this again just give sometime and kadcyla will start running hehehe i hope for no return. If you feel your blood counts are getting off ask for neulesta,or neupogen. I take neupogen for 5 days after gemzar alone.

As for me i did my fourth of gemzar today amd had a long talk with my onco ,an open one, i am ilc metastatic visceral invasion no confermed bone mets.i said to him this is the worst prognosis in cancer. And Ilc responds slowly on chemo, and since i am performance level one, low mitotic etc... They expect by the end of the session the tumor to have shrunk by 25% if the get this than the will stop and to aromasine for as long as i am doing well and no progression. He sias he expects i will do well. I am handling the treatment well . The thing is Denny , no one on any board is really ilc stage four and liver.

In may i will wait for my scan and hope he is right. I would like to visit Portugal with my husband

He will be on a business trip and i want to take the advantage to visit the lady of fatima. It is nice. So if i finish on time i can make it:)))) i think a

spiritual trip will do me and him a lot of good. The place is nice. What do you think. I will scan and leave. I am not in a hurray to know the results lolll even though i will call my friend doctor to find out...i am impatient. Were u a bit close we would have made the trip all three, he goes to work we stroll lolll. Get well Denny you are larger and better than the stupid cancer. Kick his butt.keep me posted .

• denny123
    edited March 2014

Woody-sure sounds like you can use a nice vacation and I don't see why not!  My liver was 1/5th involved with CA 10 years ago, but Gemzar did a great job then.  So I pray that it will work very well for you too.

I have another friend who is on Aromasin now and she has advanced mets.  It sure seems like it can do a good job.

Doing okay-nausea gone for a bit.

• Woodylb
    edited March 2014

Denny i am glad you are better with the nausea. Sorry for all the typos , i usually write at 3 in the morning. I sure hope this combo works for me. ILC is very challenging to treat. Still i do hope for the best. We will be going to Portugal and i am looking forward to it. It will be in may. Till then i hope both of us we would have gotten good results. 

• Woodylb
    edited April 2014

Hi Denny, any news or feedback on is kadcyla working for? When is your scan due? And how are you feelng? Just checking... I hope you are well 

• denny123
    edited April 2014

I will see my onc a week from now-had my CBC for him today. So my scan will probably be in May or June.

My nausea seems to last for 12 days after my tx.

How are you feeling?

• Woodylb
    edited April 2014

Hi Denny, are they giving you zofran for the nausea? If not ask for it. It is very good and it lessens the nausea to the minimum. I used it only twice but i sent it to my au t and she is going through chemo for lung cancer which causes her extreme nausea and it is helping her a lot. Let me know what your onc says. I am fine till now , my first scan after three sessions of carbo+ gemzar showed a little decrease in size with le largest tumor from 2.5 cm to 2.2 and the small ones they showed a change in texture they are less obvious but not gone and it seems to show no progression. My next scan will be the first week if may right after i finish my chemo. They may ask for a pet scan depending in the results they either give two more sessions of the same combo or start me on aromasin. In side effects i am doing fine better thanthe first two sessions, no nausea some mild fatigue and i still have some hair left although thinner much thinner. You are in my prayer every day keep me informed.  

• iwillwinthisbattle
    iwillwinthisbattle Member Posts: 42
    edited April 2014

Cheers, Denny!!!!

• Woodylb
    edited April 2014

Hey Denny, just checking in how are you doing? I hope all is well with kadcyla and its side effects and more importantly on the disease... Big hug...

• denny123
    edited April 2014

Hi Woody,

I saw my onc on Friday.  My Echo was fine and I will get a PET the end of June.  I got a script for Zofran, but my nurse suggested that I might just have indigestion and suggested Pepcid.

That might be working, but if not, I have Zofran and Compazine as a back up.

I am glad that I didn't get the extreme torso pain last night, as I did after my second tx. But now I know that I can hit Motrin if the pains come.

Good news that you have a decrease on your TX.  I never lost all of my hair on Gemzar, so I hope the thinning slows down for you.

Mine has slowed down, but I don't see any new hairs yet.

Prayers for you too!

• Woodylb
    edited April 2014

Denny i'm glad your state seems stable and you don't have any new pain which is a good sign i am praying for you constantly and somehow in my heart i know you will be ok. 

Today i had to go to the hospital my last session was saturday and it showed some anemia , hemoglobin dropped to 9 , so today they did the blood and it dropped to 7.5 , i have to go tomorrow morning for a blood transfusion :( . I am still loosing some hair but very  rare and you are right i see my hair growing longer but no new hair is growing i look like a shitaa, i think the carboplatin is doing its job on the hair loss and the blood. 

How many cycles is he giving you of kadcyla? When will you finish? Take good care of yourself and you are always in my prayers. Big hugs. 

• Woodylb
    edited April 2014

Hi Denny, 

I had a blood transfusion yesterday , since my hemoglobin dropped to 7 and thay 's severe anemia and my platelets were 48 also extremely low. I got the results today , not so hot the blood raised to 8 and the platelets went further down. I may need soon a other transfusion or i  will not be able to get my last cycle which is in ten days and i won't be able to travel with my husband :( . I will talk to my onco and see how we canavoid this. The craboplatin is a killer for the blood i just hope it killed the bad ones as much as it is killing the good ones lolllll. How are things from your end? 

• ronniekay
    ronniekay Member Posts: 657
    edited April 2014

Oh Denny...so happy for you!!!!  You were the first sister with liver mets I found on bc.org just after my stage 4 dx, 12/12. You were/are my inspiration.  You'd said that after 9 months of treatment, tumors were reduced. Did you stay on treatment then? My onc doesn't want me to go off Navelbine/hercep/perjeta, even though scans are stable (won't be NED because I have capsular retraction, dimpling from tumor shrinkage), and all other tests are normal.  She said if/when it comes back, it's harder for the body to adjust to treatment again.  I'm doing well on this regimen, just curious.  I get the same dry nose bleeding...not full on bleeds, just when I blow my nose...which is startling to others if I'm in public!  I never know when it'll happen.  Vaseline (not good, I know), helps me, if I remember!  Ps...I changed my diet to reflect a more liver-friendly lifestyle & list 36 lbs last year.  Take care...happy dancin for you!!!

• denny123
    edited April 2014

Hi RonnieKay,

Thanks for the kind words.  9 months of Gemzar/Herceptin put my liver in remission and it has remained thus since October 2004.

I quit the Gemzar and had remained on Herceptin until a few months ago.

I now have a recurrence in the lymph nodes behind my sternum, and am on tx for that.  But my liver has remained clear.

My new tx is Kadcyla and is a super-Herceptin.  So that is why I am off Herceptin now.  Btu it kept me in remission for 6 years!

I have the nose-bleeds now on this tx-lots of fun...

Good luck to you!

Denise

• makmak
    makmak Member Posts: 374
    edited April 2014

I scanned this post briefly so forgive me of you already know this..

What made a world if difference for me was an extra bag if fluids some before and the rest after the Kadcyla infusion. Literally eliminated all my nausea.. Hope you continue to do well with it! It served me over 2 years!

• shawna41653
    shawna41653 Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2014

5 years and pray for another 5 

• MAW
    MAW Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2014

Such a great thing to read. Inspiration for us all! Keep up the good work and many blessings.

• Woodylb
    edited May 2014

Hi Denny, hope you are doing well, i will be leaving next tuesday to Portugal 😊 packed with hope and prayers for all of us. I didn't get my last gemzar, low WBC , taking neupogen at home till saturday hopefully i will get it. Scans will be after i get back. I am keeping my fingers crossed for both of us. Hugs. 

• denny123
    edited May 2014

Woody!  

Have a wonderful time!!!

• Woodylb
    edited May 2014

Denny ohhhhhh it is so wonderful !!! You can feel the saintity in the air , the moon , the sun and the stars....it is sooo beautiful and you are all in my thoughts and my prayers... I wish you were here, you would have loved it...take care of yourself . Big hugs

• SyrMom
    SyrMom Member Posts: 575
    edited May 2014

Enjoy, Woodylb!

• denny123
    edited May 2014

Great Woody!  Enjoy!

• Woodylb
    edited May 2014

thank you Denny i am , i just got a nasty flue 2 days after i got here , healing slowly .i hope kadcyla keep being more or less knd to you and tough on the cancer. Hug.